Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

me reading the old thread

then remembering the good news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

franky isnt gonna get many more lines anyways, as the more canonical things he has to say the more his voice actor has to say them and rip that guys voice

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

GASLIGHT

GATEKEEP

FISHBOSS

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i am begging yamato complainers to actually read the chapter and what he says in it first

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/luffysmayie/status/1563763544381763584

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

in the wake of the whole howard hamlin yelling the one piece is real overlaid on the picture of whitebeard with his giant cock out meme, its reminded me that whitebeard just before that basically calls his shot on how the series is going to go down. blackbeard simply isnt the guy thats going to find it because he doesnt have the inherited will, someone is going to "shoulder centuries of history" and theres going to be a great war once its found.

edit gently caress i just remembered its a break week too isnt it

Paper Lion fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 2, 2022

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Drakkel posted:

It feels like we're gonna need a flashback to this Rocky Port Incident considering every time we hear about it, it gets more important. At first we only knew it as something that happened that made Koby famous as a marine. Later we find out Law was involved in some way. Now we find out that Blackbeard was also involved and it somehow led to him taking control of that pirate party island with the big skull mountain that's his home base now. Also, incidentally, Blackbeard mentions it helped him dethrone someone named 'Ochoku" who apparently was a member of the Rocks Pirates???

im not too sure how law factors into the situation, but i feel like a pretty safe assumption is ochoku was the last non emperor remnant of the rocks crew and maintained control of fullalead island, and he got caught out at rocky port or something where coby either defeated or claimed credit for defeating him. that opened up a power vacuum that blackbeard was able to take advantage of and seize control of fullalead for himself.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i dont think the yami yami fruit is anything else, but if it were it would probably be the moon fruit. its intersting going back to the picture of blackbeard as a kid because 2 things are prominent about him: his terrible emotional state, and the giant crescent moon put next to him. with luffy as our sun god bringing a romance dawn to the world, blackbeard as his moon foil makes sense.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

not a spoiler, i just like that the fish at the start of the chapter look like momonosuke's dragon form. it really is a fish fruit!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i have not seen any spoilers but based on last chapter i am predicting a crew split because some of them blew away in the wind, and there will be sky is falling posting about how we just got the crew back together

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

from downtown, bay bee

Paper Lion posted:

bored and rewatching some random chunks of the show because i like finding weird new poo poo to recontextualize, and stumbled onto franky...well, himself stumbling onto this blueprint in vegapunks second lab

edit also his very next line is literally "theres stuff here on everything from battleships to human gene manipulation!" theres simply no way that devil fruits and dna/lineage factor/inherited will arent linked together

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Jinbe already has a O-scale model train layout in the Sunny's hold.

jinbe has a lot in common with bobby bacala

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmMlCQrcmhY

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jGXnU6eEyI

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

no break

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Maybe she and Kaidou retired and went off to build a cottage in the woods.

an ending so satisfying it was used by critically acclaimed and definitely a good show eureka 7

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

People are assuming Kuzan is part of Blackbeard’s crew, but I wonder if they’re just cooperating for some unknown reason. It would explain his absence at the current battle.

the original eureka seven actually rules and that isn’t how it ended

it literally ends with them retreating to a cabin in the woods, its the last thing you see in the show

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Brandfarlig posted:

Look at Franky, of course it does.

My dude can build a bridge in less than 10 seconds he's definitely on something.

i wonder if franky could finally finish the bridge at tequila wolf

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

we already know scopper was strong because he was the guy oden duelled against in the 3 day roger vs whitebeard clash in his flashback

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Provided they aren't purged, they'll be the last one standing when Luffy and the waves he makes are done with them.

Speaking of Fishman Island and an attack that debuted there, has Oda ever tried to explain the exact mechanics of how Red Hawk works? Gear 2 heats up Luffy's body and caused him to steam, Haki armors his arm, and then...his hand and forearm just burst into flame. One could say he's igniting the air or something, but he first used it underwater. Is it some vibration trick, generating so much kinetic energy it produces flame? Or is one of those "Zoro can speak with a sword in his mouth and Sanji can ignite his leg because his heart and passion burns so fiercely reality bends for it"?

(With Gear 5 the mechanics become irrelevant anyway: at that point Luffy runs on cartoon rules...)

luffy always ran on cartoon rules. gear 2 is a cartoon bit, gear 3 is directly called out by rob lucci as cartoon logic, gear 4 is not only cartoon logic but if you look closely from the very first time we see it he has that kind of wreathe/shawl thing around him that awakened zoans seem to get even though hes not all the way there yet. if we're taking at face value that zoans have some degree of active will/animus still, then a successful awakening is something akin to like, achieving 100% synchro with it. the awakened zoans in impel down are basically lobotomized because for whatever reason they grasped the power but not the alignment with the fruit and lost themselves. lucci is a sicko fight pervert that likes to hurt people, so hes aligned perfectly with the animus of a leopard. luffy wants to be the most free man in the world and use that freedom to bring liberation to others, so he aligns with the god of freedom perfectly. i would contend hes always been awoken and has only just managed to figure out how to use all the power that entails.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i wonder what would happen if sanjis sister met magellan

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

more one piece shower thoughts: if all of choppers points are his different zoan forms, and him becoming monster point is similar to a forced zoan awakening since he ends up mindless like the impel down guards

why does the human human fruit awakening gigantify him

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

game spoiler the part where rosinante comes back and does the foot save thing for law hosed me up fr

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

blackbeard being a clone would also explain why even though he's a d, he has not properly exhibited d traits like fearing death and stuff. whatever the will of d is it wasnt naturally passed to him so its either warped or missing entirely

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

they do have hypnosis powers though. i think its just a vampire bat thing for stussy though. but, who knows.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

if you read vague spoilers, full spoilers, bad fan translation, good fan translation, and official release, then you get to read new one piece 5 times a week.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

lucci is in a strange situation as a character because hes clearly unrepentantly evil and uses his position to be a licensed killed, but near the end of wano when we saw him he was talking in a way that showed he was understanding of the realpolitik involved in the situation and didnt personally approve of it or the government broadly, so he really could end up going in any kind of direction

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

letting people talk about the bad scans here keeps them from talking about them in other places like reddit and slowly absorbing whatever crap they talk about there, so its a form of community harm reduction really

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

sociopaths are statistically dumber than the average person so it does track

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

bengraven posted:

I wonder how many Vegas are gonna survive this.

And all how many of the tan loli warlords.

Knowing Oda, it will be chibiBoa at least and Boa will be like “oh Luffy, remember the one time you saw me naked? Is that how babies are made? I’ll name her Luffy after her father”.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i think shaka is the traitor. he has a mask, his jacket literally says caution on it, hes often shown from the back and not the front, and when we first met him he straight up said he would be dead soon. hes hiding in plain sight

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yamato will bring zoro shisui back when he rejoins the crew later, dont worry #odasplan

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yeah lunarian stuff is just dna being spliced into the clones, the green blood is devil fruit/lineage factor stuff and totally seperate

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i just realized that weevil always has to ask for and receive specific clearance from bukkin before he can really do anything, which seems to point to him being a whitebeard clone after all and not a purely biological child and he works like the seraphim do with permissions

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

When you get to the New World, bounties essentially become like stocks, they're not real money more than they are a barometer of powerful people's feelings

or, conversely, how much they upset/hurt the feelings of other powerful people and institutions

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Bisse posted:

"Without that blunder there would be no pirates chasing poneglyphs in pursuit of treasure either!"

Aha so love this little bit of something that has been in plain sight, chasing after the One Piece causes pirates to look for Poneglyphs, which just so happen to also contain vital historical information. Well played, Joyboy!

youre off a bit. roger simply wanted to get to the end of the world first, no one else terribly cared. we see him begging whitebeard to lend him oden and whitebeard only really opposes because they are rivals in a broad sense, not because he wants to get there first or anything. roger instigates the giant push towards laugh tale by associating it with his great treasure, hoping that he can bait and switch whoever is supposed to get there on time (since he was apparently early)

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

mac tonite lookin rear end motherfucker

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

oda-sensai

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

oddium posted:

oda asked me to enjoy the live action one piece and i will try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Eiba posted:

I have no idea what "marked out" means, but same. That music. God drat.

wrestling parlance indicating that one has abandoned their cynicism and is in the immediate moment appreciating what they are seeing for what it is being presented as, and not for any behind the scenes implications or concerns about verisimilitude.