Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Come on son, post the full version:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olpsSRoOy1M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Knowing what we know now, I kind of wonder if Gear 4 was a last-minute addition to draw things out until the Nika-Nika reveal.

Gear 4 as like, a thing that always existed in Luffy’s toolkit since Chapter 600 has obvious problems when you scrutinize it (dealing with the end of FI, Film Z), but at the same time it stretches the limits (heh) of what rubber should reasonably be able to do which is supposed to be a Gear 5 hint so it could go either way.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He's just a cool rival guy who will probably show up in a minor role later on to help the gang. (Same will probably happen with cool old-school rival guy Smoker)

if the Void Century really gets uncovered as something to upheave the Celestial Dragon’s rule it’s gonna be rad seeing Smoker team up with his old pal Dragon again to help Luffy oust them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

rannum posted:

remember when they stabbed pekoms' eyes out so he couldn't sulong was that hosed up or what

It was pretty hosed, I hope Franky hooks him up with some cool cyborg eyes at some point.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
God, what a great chapter. lol that firing Mihawk was literally the worst thing the Navy could have done. Did I miss Perona, or was she not in this chapter?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Blackbeard is a dude who spent like thirty years on Whitebeard’s crew as a flunky despite being by all accounts strong as heck waiting for one specific fruit, no way that dudes not negative.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

I hope Buggy realizes that Mihawk is like the one super powered guy he is a direct counter to since he's immune to slashing damage

i assume even if armament haki doesn’t work he’s smart enough to just, you know, smack him with the back of his giant anime sword to break all his limbs if Buggy tries starting some poo poo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Plutonis posted:

BTW I wonder if Croc and Mr. 1 finally learned to use Haki during the timeskip since that iirc was what stopped him from going into the New World

i can’t imagine they hasn’t learned it by now, haki seems to manifest when someone pushes themselves hard enough even without training specifically to use it, even ignoring Conquerer’s Haki (Zoro’s Ryou in Alabasta, Usopp’s Observation Haki in Dressrosa, Coby’s Observation Haki in Marineford). Being able to make a shiny metallic fist is basically the baseline expectation of a billion beri bounty and their first mates.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

actually, was mr. 1 in that chapter anywhere?

i think he’s in the shot of Crocodile going ham on the navy for his Buggy money

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

Technically Buggy could be able to avoid even blunt damage if he was good enough with his fruit. Get good enough at splitting and he could avoid damage like Crocodile, but without the water weakness.

However,

it would be extremely funny if through extreme cowardice abd fear at being tragically in over his head he learned Ultra Instinct, so I’m 50/50 on whether or not that’s what’s gonna go down

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly you can kinda at least see it with how Moria was handled, like yeah Luffy beats up the bad man in both cases but with Moria it never doesn’t feel like he would have defeated pre-skip Luffy in a straightforward slugfest with Base Luffy and not Nightmare Luffy vs Mecha Oars before Moria pulled a Vegeta and got too salty to fight with a level head with Shadows Asgard.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

hatty posted:

Luffy got a 10x strength multiplier from working out in prison for a week and learning how to punch better, Crocodile can do the same

Also Luffy had a limiter cuff on making him weaker, so with shonen anime logic it was also a power boost.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gyges posted:

He's definitely throwing massive "gently caress you, dad" vibes, but at the end of the day his plan was an 80s business/action movie plan to become the Pirate King. Which is basically world domination in whatever flavor of your personal pirate belief in what being the Pirate King means.

Like, Luffy wants to be the freest man in the world, but that necessitates being strong enough to impose his will over everyone who wants him to eat his vegetables and not horse around at the pool. Pirate King is basically the same as winning The Prize in Highlander. We all hope that MacLeod/Luffy wins because they'd be cool dudes with the power, unlike Kurgen/Blackbeard.

Which is honestly kind of the weird plot hole in One Piece. Why, exactly, does everyone dream of being the super awesome King of the Pirates? Roger is the only Pirate King, and he sure as poo poo wasn't what anybody so far has dreamed of using their powers of the One Piece to achieve. Dude
  • realized he couldn't do anything about the conspiracy to kill Kennedy hide the true history
  • had a laugh
  • suicided by cop to avoid dying of plot cancer
  • killed a lady by knocking her up
  • left his kid an orphan who hated his guts
If I'm having big pirate dreams, I'm dreaming of maybe being a Whitebeard; respected by everyone and having a family that Dominic Torretto would be jealous of.

I think people like Luffy just wanna be the King because the King of the Pirates is the guy who adventured harder than anyone else who ever lived except the last king, since it wasn’t like Gold Roger got a crown or scepter or even called himself the Pirate King, he was just the guy who conquered (survived) the miserable godless death trap that was the Red Line and had a blast doing it, so everyone else collectively started calling him the King of the Pirates.

I mean, now it doesn’t quite make sense since the current goal to become Pirate King is “find laugh tale by going to these four dungeons and defeating/surviving the Emperors of Cinder” rather than asserting your dominance over the miserable death trap hellscape but hey, this franchise has gotta finish eventually. I guess everyone wants the One Piece really really badly?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Desumaytah posted:

I actually fully expect Coby to have succeeded there. The dude has a habit of getting way stronger off-panel. I'm not discounting the possibility of Hancock falling for him the same way she did for Luffy, either.

He probably got beat up but Hancock probably got roughed up bad too. Either that or he used his haki and realized he couldn’t hit a fellow Luffy fan.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Fecha posted:

Viz translation actually calls them the Navy. But the title of the OP Wiki page is Marines, and most fans talk about them that way. It's a bit of a mess.

*Every* official translation currently calls them Navy, so even if it sounds dumb since their caps say MARINE that’s what I call them. :shrug:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Foxy doesn’t get a story but he was featured in the “Where Are They Now” cover arc that was the first year or so of the timeskip, which I guess makes him more relevant than Kuro/Krieg even if he was still just doing his thing on Party House Island.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc the Bulgori are just gorillas wearing hoods for some weird reason.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

side_burned posted:

Law's powers are weird.

They’re still probably less weird than the character who can subconsciously warp reality with his special moves by going “well I’m made of rubber so I should be able to punch fast enough to make my giant wrecking ball fist fire”.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Nah, that's just punching faster.

If we’re being pedantic the super speed itself feels like it falls in the category of “the user can warp reality with the most ridiculous power in the world” :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

Did we even get any official description of Luffy powers?

I was partially joking, but iirc the description the Elder Stars give that comes with the reveal that the Gum Gum was actually Human Human: Model Nika is more or less that it’s user is only limited by his imagination, which if you assume the Gears are a Zoan transformation like Chopper’s Points then it more or less makes sense that he’s using his imagination to make his Gears function.

tl;dr it’s a mystery fruit

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 8, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

This is exactly what I thought was being communicated when green bull showed up and momo frantically tried to solo him.

BB's crew seems too ragged to actually use the mero mero so it seems weird for him to go after it this hard. Surely making friends with hancock would be an easier option.

i think either Blackbeard is just kind of an oblivious moron or he’s that *and* this is gonna be the buildup to an arc of him having done everything he did to be respected/adored and not really having any of that beyond a surface level despite gaming the devil fruit system and pissing most of his life away as a peon when he’s been implied to be on the level of a Whitebeard fleet commander because he couldn’t just be happy with what he could have had. I’m probably reaching though!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
did I miss something or is “winging it” not synonymous with “improvising”?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wonder if taking someone’s fruit is just such a huge strain to the victim that it’s a significant risk of death which is why they’re being ambiguous.

It’s definitely a given that taking Brook’s fruit would kill him though. :ohdear:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

you can’t explain nakama, it’s too complex

I love that even that explanation has no actual explanation as to why nakama itself is a special word in the setting of One Piece and provides several alternatives any reasonable localizer would use.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Garp tried to make a man out of Luffy and it clearly didn’t take, he complained all the time when he got sent out in the forest full of wild animals to live off of lizard meat, thrown into the sky with balloons, or into the water when he couldn’t swim.

…come to think of it, Luffy’s pretty okay with those first two things now so I guess it was just a delayed response.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also they’re probably old ex-Navy buddies so there’s that too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
i know we’ll find out more later but for right now, what the gently caress what the gently caress what the gently caress, how are they gonna explain “we reduced an entire island/kingdom to a steaming mushroom orb cloud”

Someone else mentioned it and it’s possible that the world of One Piece was an actual proper world like our earth and not a bunch of islands of varying sizes before the Void Century happened if the World Government had this on hand.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Star Platinum posted:

"aw jeez, oh no, another unexplained natural disaster, such is life on the Grand Line I guess" :geno:

its kinda scary how much sense that makes.

And thinking about it further, maybe if the Void Century was just a hundred years of nukes, maybe that’s why the Grand Line is so hosed up :aaaaa:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tbp posted:

was the warm water thing related to the huge god beams

seems like it, the source of the heat seemed to be the globe that Zoro shanked since it got less turbulent after that

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Normally not big on scanlations for OP specifically, but the official translation has apparently been delayed today; whats usually considered the 'best' site around here when it comes to that sort of thing?

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4283/one-piece-chapter-1060

Here’s the link from a few days ago but it’s just a one day delay to keep parity with the Japanese release since there’s a holiday so you might as well wait if you’re not a scanlaton fan.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I usually read both so I’m not judging or anything, you just mentioned you weren’t a fan of scanlations so I just figured you didn’t like the translation quality or whatever.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

of all the things left unexplored so far I'm still shocked we haven't gotten Vegapunks Whole Deal yet

We’re probably getting there since we’ve seen one of Vegapunk’s all time greatest flexes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just realized my favorite subtle joke in this chapter on the reread: Chopper almost dies wearing a cold weather hat he doesn’t even need because he’s already a reindeer. He probably doesn’t even need winter clothes at all!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
After everything that’s gone down the past few weeks the fact that we’re getting something that goes even harder on “holy gently caress” is crazy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
we don’t have the official translation to compare to yet, but imo it was sort of telling that Vegapunk introduces herself like “you can call me Vegapunk” which is a normal way to introduce yourself but also works in the context of it not being her real name or things otherwise not being as straightforward as they seem.

Also yeah, with everything that’s happened the past month or so culminating in this:

oddium posted:

didn't hit me until seeing vegapunk that one piece really is ending

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
i thought they were gonna harvest Queen’s cyborg parts so Franky could get a powerup like everyone else (except Brook) got in Wano but I guess Franky’s just gonna get super lasers in the Vegapunk island?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I can belive that Oda had the idea for Gear 5 for a while but he couldn’t figure out a way to namedrop Nika sooner.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Luffy has a lot of faith in Zoro's abilities so he's surprised to find Zoro defeated.

I think my favorite instance of this is back on Little Garden when Mr 5 (i think that’s the nose bomb dude) starts gloating that they captured Zoro and Luffy just starts laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

That part has one of my (and a lot of people's, I assume) favorite Zoro bits where the gang's being turned into wax statues and Zoro initially tries to cut off his feet to free himself and fight, and then later gives up and decides to strike a cool pose before he dies. Or maybe it was the other way around.

I think it’s that way, Zoro stopped giving a duck once Luffy and co got there because the situation was handled or they were FUBAR anyway.