Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Doing an Enies Lobby reread and seeing pre-crisis Nami and Robin feels like being able to say that there are four lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

God Gear 4 looks like poo poo. Just top to bottom, there really was nothing good about Dressarossa but Ussop.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Katakuri is a weird character now because like, he's treated as Luffy's Vergil, but with Big Mom and Kaidou in the rearview mirror he just feels like a hanging thread who's been not so much left hanging as completely left in the dust (ditto the much older Sort Of A Rival, Smoker).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Is he? He was pretty great fight (overall) but I don't see stuff portraying him as a longstanding rival to Luffy or anything like that

He beats Luffy in the end and has a very similar set of powers, I think you can call him a Vergil.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No I don't think he actually did? A draw maybe? Whole Cake was forever ago idr

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

After being jerked around for almost 25 loving years that last island had better blow our loving minds oda

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Katakuri is way over than Law

Law will die a Lamer

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 23, 2022

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm doing some other arc rereads, I did the back half of Dressarossa and am doing Sabody 2+Fishman

Fishman is actually considerably better than I remember, although Hody is still whatever

Dressarossa is ALMOST worse. I forgot how much I hated most of Doffy's lame loving crew or how truly interminable some of the fights are (as everything in Dressarossa is). Ussop is still good though, as he always is in every arc.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I do. It seems hype

I saw it! It's a good movie!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

I had the same thought. But the wiki claims that Big Mom is still alive in Film Red, so maybe not.

Big Mom is in it (albeit briefly) but Jinbei is a full crew member, Red is definitely deep in Anime Movie Continuity

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ado is a super impressive young vocalist.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The big hat is the dumbest thing in One Piece I hate it

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We are going to finish this series without ever learning Dragon's deal, money on table.

We're also going to end with Buggy being publicly acknowledged as the Pirate King, as is correct

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It can be a joke and also real that's like One Piece 101. It'd also, imo, own.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I will say a good thing about the Big Hat, except not actually about it but Im. I take solace that Im and whatever is actually going on with Marejois (there's the theory that the Redline is artificial and used to be a bunch of actual islands before the Void Century, and the three weapons are needed to destroy it and create the All Blue, which sounds crazy but hey) is, hopefully, going to keep Blackbeard from being the final boss because boy he's lame.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blackbeard is a character Oda has spent literal decades hyping up who is nonetheless like, sub-Doflamingo in interest level. He's not the worst major antagonist that's probably... Hody I guess, and there's always a chance Oda will actually make him interesting in the actual Blackbeard Arc, but as it stands he's very bland. Even his crew is more interesting if only because of designs.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Anyway, all that said, there's no need to worry that much

Because the plan is working

Trust the plan

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's going to turn out that most of buggy's crew actually figured out he was weak a long time ago, But keep following him anyway just because they like him as a boss

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Buggy is the Ussop of his own crew

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm just going to post like Yamato is in the crew anyway gently caress it I'm still loving mad about this

I don't care if the fish guy can talk to whale sharks and do karate he's not a cool trans guy that can turn into Ammy Okami

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gyges posted:

To be fair Doflamingo, Mihawk, and Boa we're at best quarter-assing their way through the whole war. So it's not like any fights they were in would actually count for power level calibration theorizing. Except any fights Boa got in to block for Luffy, where she would be fighting at 110%, though those are also tainted by the Cat 5 winds of love throwing off normal power levels.

It is interesting to think about whether Croc ripped off Mingo's villainous machinations, Mingo ripped off Croc, or they just both came up with very similar flights of world domination fancy.

see I don't think there's as much overlap as there might seem, beyond the basic crime syndicate/kingdom takeover framework, mainly because I don't think Mingo was ever really aiming for world domination

that dude knows what's behind the curtain, and because of that seemed to have just given up on anything beyond being a comfortable spectator at the steady collapse of the world (and is now of course resigned to being an UNcomfortable spectator)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Why is whitebeard trending all of a sudden that chapter was like a decade ago

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I always liked that in that shot Moria just kind of looks like the one piece version of a goth punk kid

Anyway assuming they didn't just juice him for his fruit power, my assumption is Moria is the 10th Titanic Captain now (Blackbeard DID offer him the chance to join, although that could obviously just be a joke about the aforementioned juicing process).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mihawk's mini-boat might have seastone, letting him go over the calm belt, is the boring answer.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What the gently caress does that mean

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/chan_co/status/1566784751243268096?t=RPMiBg2htE0j7zlB6FLOPA&s=19

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Robin is gay

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oddium might be able to tell a story that takes less than 30 years to finish

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

These last few chapters have been real roller coasters of quality

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cloks posted:

i think the official translation of this line is a little better than the fan translation but man, Vasco Shot and the rest of Blackbeard's crew are gross

This bit felt hella out of place

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

If, once the series finishes sometime in the next 10-15 years, they decide to keep churning out movies where Luffy and the crew get to wear some cool new outfits and have an adventure with a whole bunch of cameos, some brawling, ending with Luffy punching some rear end in a top hat rich dude before credits roll on a cool song featuring scenes of where everybody who was in the movie went to next.... well hell, I'm down.

If they keep getting real directors like Taniguchi this would be cool

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Remember when smoker's pants ate that ice cream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The idea of Oda of all people rushing anything is comical

You can accuse him of many things, but SPEED?