Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Rody One Half posted:

God Gear 4 looks like poo poo. Just top to bottom, there really was nothing good about Dressarossa but Ussop.

Knowing what we know now, I kind of wonder if Gear 4 was a last-minute addition to draw things out until the Nika-Nika reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I know we're all marking out for our boy Buggy right now but I'm kinda shocked Crocodile has lasted for as long as he has. From lower-mid-tier Shounen Boss Fight from over a decade ago to the man behind one of the Yonko - that's one hell of a comeback.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Croc was def not a lower mid-tier boss fight.

Look I don't make the rules but paragraph 8, section 9, subsection 35 of the 25th chapter of the Official Shounen Rulebook clearly states that if you go down less than 300 chapters into a 1000 chapter long manga that you are on the lower end of the middle of the end boss spectrum and furthermore... :words: :words: :words:

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, to be fair, Crocodile was like originally intended to be near-final boss, right?

That's the story I heard, IIRC Alabasta was supposed to be roughly where Wano is now in the plot. Though I should mention that I've always only heard of this though second-hand accounts and I have no idea where this was originally stated so it could very well be bullshit.

edit:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

power levels are bullshit etc.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

MorningMoon posted:

I can deffo buy in on Croc letting himself go for a few years and basically giving up ambition of ever being on the level of Kaido. Both those things together direly weaken him until he got his groove back at Impel Down, and for the past two years he's been working himself up to even stronger than before Kaido whopped his rear end.

This also cements in my head that if Robin had simply told Croc that Pluton was in Wano, he would've crumbled and given himself up on the spot.

Croc got whipped by Whitebeard, Moria was Kaido.

Not to disparage your point though, I'd have loved to have seen the Enelface he would have made if Robin just straight up told him where it was.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I bet even with Gear 2 Croc woulda handled Luffy those first 2 fights and then fallen in the 3rd.

Yeah, something to keep in mind is that Croc was a pre-timeskip Logia and were were still a long way off from meeting anyone else who even knew what Haki was.

These days though I imagine Luffy wouldn't have much trouble slugging him head-on.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
It's Six-String Samurai rules - The King is dead, ergo, everyone wants to be the new The King.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Eiba posted:

Sakazuki and the Navy might legitimately be in the dark about what's up with Sabo, but I would strongly bet that Lucci knows exactly what's up and is possibly responsible.

Is there a clear timeline of events for what was happening at the Reverie relative to what was happening on Wano? It seemed like the Sabo stuff was going down or had gone down just before the raid started and Lucci was almost at Wano by then.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lucci was never heading to Wano.

No, he and Kaku were definitely on one of the Marine boats heading in to gently caress up Wano, the ones that picked up that last CP0 agent and turned around at the last second when they realized Momo wasn't going to bust out the local ancient superweapon.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I demand gin.

A nice tall glass of gin and tonic, with a wedge of lime for garnishing.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I think we see Arlong walking out of Impel Down in Jimbei's flashback?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Aprops of nothing, "Crocodile One Piece Woman" is like #4 on google search recommendations. :lol:

It might also be worth noting that there is official art of Croc as a lady that Oda drew as like an SBS joke or something. Looks a bit like Izou honestly, just with a big-rear end scar across their face.

Eiba posted:

If the theory is right, I'd have to assume Ivankov was bluffing. Crocodile may be insecure about it, and Ivankov was exploiting that insecurity, but if push came to shove he wouldn't make good on that threat.

Not sure how much better that makes it, but I agree that it would seem out of character for Ivankov to actually hurt someone in that way. It might be in character for Ivankov to make someone sweat about it though, especially someone like Crocodile.

My crackpot take on this crackpot theory is that they changed their gender for some entirely pragmatic or petty reason and don't really see it as anything more than a disguise or something. The real secret is why they decided to do something like that at all - maybe he was running from the WG or maybe he was pulling a Buggy and trying to weasel their way out of a deal gone bad.

I'm also not sure how much better that would make it but its something at least. Break week makes me think about this poo poo way more than I probably should.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 3, 2022

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Caesar's whole schtick is being so fantastically incompetent and in over his head that me makes loving Buggy look like the second coming of Gol D. Roger. Not exactly what I would call Admiral material.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Caesar Clown... Buggy the Clown....

Caesar THE Clown! :stare:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Lmao at Living(?) Brook.

“Remember when Akinu killed your brother Luffy? He talked Just Like THIS!”

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Ubiquitus posted:

It really does seem like semantics, but doffy was a paramecia. Luffy isn’t, which is why the turning things into rubber thing still feels incongruent unless his power actually is “imagination affects reality”

Mythic Zoans have always been outliers in this regard. They basically do whatever the myths they were associated with said they did, which is why Marco's flames double as a magical healing salve or why Kaido can summon up flame clouds to walk through the air or why Orochi could just tell death to gently caress off like 6 times because he still had an extra head. Luffy is supposed to be a reality-warping incarnation of pure ridiculousness and freedom so that's what he does.

As for why his body is made of rubber, my take on it is that he was like a blank canvass or an animation cell in its default position. He was already untethered from reality so to speak, but he wasn't able to exert full control over the proverbial animation process yet so his abilities were still constrained. Also lets be real here, Luffy's dumb as gently caress - everyone said he was made of rubber so maybe he subconsciously made himself actually rubber without realizing it. He'd certainly never question it, and nobody would ever think much of it because Paramecia's are a thing so whatever, my boss is a giant golden buddha so yeah he's a rubber man, that checks out.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

rannum posted:

The yamato stuff is still frustrating but it was at least nice to see the flashback we should have gotten like 3 chapters ago. The Marco stuff was cute. The rest of the chapter was incredible; the new pacifistas are insane

My guess is these last few chapters have all been stuff that Oda planned to be "officially" in Wano but they had to be cut for time so this is what we get instead. IIRC 1057 was the last thing he drew before going on a month-long bender in the U-S-of-A (at least I assume that's what he did) and for whatever reason he decided anything happening in Wano had to be done by then.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I feel like Franky should have had more to do with the Pluton reveal since that was his whole "thing" in Water 7. Having it boil down to one reaction shot after the fact feels weirdly understated for how much of an influence the potential thread of Pluton had on his life.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
King and Queen were the designated "second-and-third in command epic superhuman and weird guy that Zoro and Sanji respectively end up fighting" that almost every arc since Arlong Park has been obligated to have. It was never, ever, going to go down any other way.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

:perfect:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Normally not big on scanlations for OP specifically, but the official translation has apparently been delayed today; whats usually considered the 'best' site around here when it comes to that sort of thing?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Last Celebration posted:

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4283/one-piece-chapter-1060

Here’s the link from a few days ago but it’s just a one day delay to keep parity with the Japanese release since there’s a holiday so you might as well wait if you’re not a scanlaton fan.

I've read scanlations before, its mostly a combination of wanting to support the official release, since that's an option in this case, and generally trying to stay in the habit of waiting until Sunday so that I'm not waiting as long during big breaks or holidays. In this case IIRC we're still getting a new chapter at the normal time next week and Viz is already getting my money so I don't see a problem with it.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Silver2195 posted:

She's a member of CP0 who went undercover as an underworld figure. Big Mom invited her to the wedding, where she attempted to steal the Tamatebako (leading to the bomb going off).

IIRC she's also been in CP0 much longer than any of the CP9 crew. I wonder if she's there as some kind of handler to keep them in line, that bit about Lulusha from Lucci seems to imply he's not 100% on board about all this.

So does OG Vegapunk still exist and the "satellite bodies" are basically extensions of his will or did he literally split his mind into six separate bodies? If its the latter then my guess is that the individual Vegapunks each only have portions of his memories but not the whole picture, which would be an effective way to finally meet Vegapunk without completely revealing every world shattering secret they know before the crew gets to Laugh Tale.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

lih posted:

if kizaru does show up (which feels pretty possible since just lucci 2.0 would be a little underwhelming as the arc's final boss) there would probably be some gags with luffy insisting on using the gloves even though he could just use haki

Who else is even left who could conceivably pose a threat at this point? BB and the admirals seem like a lock at this point. Maybe Shanks? Whatever’s going on with Im is probably going to be the final boss if BB jobs out. The pacifista will probably be important somehow but I kind of doubt they’ll amount to much more than Zoro/Sanji fodder in the long run. Maybe Black Bartholomew here will play an Oars jr. role in this arc.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Xelkelvos posted:

As a refresher, Vegapunk is composed of six bodies. They are:
Punk-01 "Shaka" - "good".
Punk-02 "Lilith" - "evil". (with Franky, Nami, Usopp, Robin, Zoro, Sanji and Brook(?))
Punk-03 "Edison" - "thinking/thought".
Punk-04 "Pythagoras" - "wisdom".
Punk-05 "Atlas" - "violence/wrath". (with Luffy, Chopper, and Jinbei)
Punk-06 "York" - "greed".

They are all referred to as his Satellites and use the kanji for cat with the furigana spelling satellite

Speculation: Vegapunk had/has three other bodies which are missing/hiding/dead as a reference to cats having "9 lives"

So there's like less than zero chance that all the satellites aren't some kind of hilariously ironic twist on what they're supposed to represent, right? My guess is Shaka is only "good" by whatever bugfuck insane metric the WG classifies as "good".

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Funky Valentine posted:

I feel like at this point we should be more questioning of Vegapunk's definition of "good".

It's time to tap the sign again.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
The fight ends inconclusively when, in a shocking plot twist, it turns out Luffy's mom was also named Martha.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I maintain to this day that Zoro still could have cut through it and just got caught up in the heat of the moment because that is the only scenario that even remotely makes sense to me.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Nakama!?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Drakkel posted:

I wanna say this is the first time a character (two in fact) have appeared in the cover story and the actual chapter it's attached to at the same time

It could be they're trying to establish a timeline for these events? Pudding still being on the ship means this probably happened right after the stuff on Whole Cake went down.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
The One Piece is real and he is my friend.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Plutonis posted:

Speaking of Giraffe I was reading the Boichi Ace miniseries and he fights a Giraffe Zoan guy right before joining Whitebeard but like he didn't kill him so how did Kaku got the power...

Maybe it was just a different model of Giraffe (the Weird Screaming Giraffe model) since Zoan's can have multiple variants floating around. There's like 3 different versions of the Human-Human fruit just for starters.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
My guess is Lucci and Luffy throw down for a bit, maybe not like a conclusive fight or anything but something brief to show where they both are relative to each-other. Strussy seems like a good match for Bonney when/if she wakes up. Maybe Jimbei vs Kaku but that'd be a little weird?

My guess is something is going to happen with Sentomaru and the other seraphim like someone was speculating a page or two ago and that'll give the other straw hats something to do.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I love that Luffy's reached a point where the loving WG is like "woah, this is an Emperor, we can't just start poo poo with him without clearing it with our superiors first!" Meanwhile Lucci basically just goes "gently caress that poo poo, I've been waiting for this rematch for two loving years!" and rushes in anyway, consequences be damned.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

CharlestonJew posted:

that means that somewhere, at some time in world history, there existed a guy that really really REALLY liked that one episode of Pokemon where Sabrina turned everyone into dolls.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Delphisage posted:

I have to wonder what all the in-story vacillating was for. Did Oda spend two years deciding whether or not he wanted to keep drawing Yamato, or were there arguments with his assistants and editorial who wanted Yamato to stick around?

Wano got pretty compressed towards the end and I think Yamato kinda suffered for that, there probably would have been more emphasis on his loyalty to Wano itself and decision to stay rather than join the crew if they had some more time to flesh things out.

More than that though, every single Straw Hat has had an entire story arc dedicated to them overcoming some kind of personal issue or undergoing some kind of character development before they formally join the crew. I guess you could argue Yam telling his dad to gently caress off fits the bill there, but having the mythical 10th slot filled by someone who appeared basically ex-nihilo halfway through Onigashima would have felt a little weird. If they show up again down the line and we're still at 9 crew members then all bets are off as far as I'm concerned.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
So it was totally Lilith who switched off the defences so she'd have a chance to crack some CP-0 skulls, right?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
This has nothing to do with anything but I just recently discovered that the people in Runa and Eiba's avatars are characters from Turn A Gundam and I feel a sense of relief having put that long-standing enigma to rest.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Ace going apeshit over people talking smack or loving over his friends is like the one thing he inherited from dear old biological dad.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

mabels big day posted:

Can she turn franky into a boat

Don't be silly, this isn't Kingdom Hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

IceBorg posted:

Jokes aside I am under the impression that it was one of the Vegapunk bodies that turned off the security system. Maybe Edison or Pythagoras since betraying the WG goes against all common logic of the world and they are the wisdom and thinking bodies.

I thought it was pretty explicit that it was Lilith, she seemed pretty gung-ho about the opportunity to go crack some more skulls.