Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

See you all in the Two Piece thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I reread the last bit of wano with Gear 5 vs Kaido, and I gotta say, despite my reservations about the Kaido flashback, reading it all at once I can see why it was like that. The only really important thing to get in that moment was that in the end Kaido truly does only believe in strength, and that Joyboy would be the one to beat him. Personally, I wanted a lot more. Obviously I want to know as much as possible about a character like Kaido. And I expected that level of detail too. It's still personally disappointing, but now I can see that we at least got the important takeaway from the flashback for the moment that Luffy defeats him.

I'm sold on the idea that reading weekly can be a bigger detriment than reading all at once is, because the wait between weeks gets you hyperfocused on your own expectations and desires for the story, and you can miss the bigger picture.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What if Yamato didn't join because Oda wanted Film Red to be possibly canon, and since Yamato isn't in the film he needed to bench him until after the movie could happen.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I'm watching the filler episodes leading up to the movie now, and...did 7-year-old Luffy just beat Monster? Granted, Monster could have gotten stronger over time, just like Luffy (and presumably Shanks) did, but still, it's a weird dehyping of the critter that will probably be getting a big fight against Chopper in a couple years.

I didn't think that was Monster, I thought it was just a wild random chimp but idk

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

still reeling over the fact that Jimbei is over Sanji. Not that I'm upset, just very surprised

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Honestly I'm mainly worried about how much body horror the Gum Gum stuff will be

Im excited for as much cartoon body horror possible.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Please make the live action animals and creatures into muppets instead of CGI

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I wonder what Ivankov's bounty is/would be

Is he hanging with the likes of King and Queen with a billion+ or is he down with the 300m scrubs

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Endorph posted:

sabo seems like hes the second in command of the revolutionaries and his bounty is 600k, so ivankov's probably in the 500k range since he seems like the third up the ladder?

Im expecting updated revolutionary bounties for all of them to account for the Revery escape and also inflation

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Caesar's a good guy

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

:tviv:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It is good to see that reports of the queen's death were greatly exaggerated, Boa Hancock is alive

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/_1992_K/status/1568206682064572416?t=0hN1xTbehZ52K-XZJ-EwCw&s=19

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like Oda's direct involvement in Film Red was already finished like a year ago.

What they mean I think is that coinciding Wano's ending with Shanks appearance with Film red's release caused the ending to be rushed.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cloks posted:

i think the official translation of this line is a little better than the fan translation but man, Vasco Shot and the rest of Blackbeard's crew are gross

Yeah I agree they should just leave "nakama" untranslated

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Seraphim Buggy will be in charge of defending Mary Geoise

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/TCBScans/status/1569779493686112256?t=zt5G35IWcRm81L6y59fK5w&s=19

How can next chapter be a bigger spoiler warning than the last few chapters. What is oda cooking

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Also you get the classic outfits as a pre-order bonus and SNIPER KING as deluxe content.

The video didnt show it but does that include pre-skip brook and franky?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Excelzior posted:

they were for a while but its fixed now if you load it again

Also my assumption, but why would the elders have asked Imu which light needed to be extinguished if Imu could just do it at any moment it stuck his fancy? You're probably right it's just a bit weird to me

it probably isnt like it just disappears from people's minds or anything. The elders probably need to prepare for the ramifications of deleting an entire island

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the blast of light was actually awakened enel from the moon

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

All in for this one.

But when Chopper's powers are taken he's still a deer person instead of a regular deer? :confused:

I think "powers" are just what theyre calling techniques and moves.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

also I think the island and everyone on it aren't dead, but sent to some sort of Shadow Realm/Purgatory. Oda wouldn't kill Sabo like that, but he also wouldn't want to wave away Imu's power as something you can just dodge or tank through if you are strong or malleable enough

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

For a while I was thinking maybe they ended up in the Sorbet Kingdom because Bonney is there, but I just found out thats in one of the Blues and not the grand line so thats too bad. Need some Kuma exposition

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Vegapunk is a babe and we're all just going to have to accept that.

if this Vegapunk is an android then call me Krillin

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Eiba posted:

I hope the final battle this arc is a giant robot fight where the crew works together like the Oars fight.

the docking sequence will become a reality and each of the strawhats will be operating a mecha built by franky/vegapunk, and this time Robin will cooperate for the sake of her crew

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ok but can we talk about the cover story?? Kuzan??? That's Kuzan that froze everything right??

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is the Kuma seraphim supposed to be a kid? I guess a giant kid/teen isnt unheard of but Lucci himself is fairly tall too. I wonder if our assumption about the seraphim being kids because they were grown that way is wrong, and they're just whatever age the World Government got their hands on the originals at. We know Boa was captured as a kid, and some tragedy was hinted in Mihawks past which could be related. Kuma wasn't a tool of the WG until he was an adult, so that's probably why his seraphim is like that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Arist posted:

Saw a preview trailer for the dub of Film Red, they do not appear to be dubbing the songs, fwiw

I do not believe that is true.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Arist posted:

Uh, okay. I definitely did watch a trailer with English voices where the song was in Japanese, though.

I believe that. But i dont believe they won't actually be dubbed in theater.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The official wording for zoro's line also makes it feel like he has less of a personal bone to pick with vegapunk and more related to the crew as a whole

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1579672132300460032?t=L4ksCP9UXe6rWbk76kV1eA&s=19

The punk numbers confirmed to be mixed up. Also Kuma's hair is supposed to be white here.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I dont want cp-9 rematches i want cp-0 vs sword. Lets see Helmeppo take on Kaku

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So how long has BB's crew had all of these fruits? Because at least for Van Auger, Doc Q, and Jesus they all fit into their roles and previous abilities that I'd believe they've had them as long as we've known them

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Law breaking the devil fruit effect with haki has killed the argument of Sugar being able to defeat anyone at least.

That also means everyone who got turned into a toy is either a scrub or didn't even bother trying.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Haki negating devil fruit effects on yourself was a necessary thing so we can't say a power like Sugar is the strongest in the entire series. I don't know if the level of Haki you need to negate effects depends on the fruit/fruit user, or if there's a base level of Haki that you can reach that effectively lets you shrug off passive effects.

My guess is that it's more like the former than the latter. Big Mom could passively resist being moved by Law's room, but still got hit by Kid's awakening. It could be that BM could shrug the magnetism off too if she exerted enough effort like Law did in this chapter, but she didn't get the chance to in the middle of the fight.

I doubt any of this will get exactly spelled out for us but I think it's interesting to think about! Sugar's power is still pretty broken considering some of the people who got turned into toys, but it could also be that exerting haki to break DF effects in that way isn't as widely known as armament haki being used to hit Logias. Maybe Don Chinjao could have broken out of the toy curse but just didn't know he could, or maybe Sugar's power has a pretty high level of Haki resistance.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Arist posted:

I feel like the idea that Sugar's power wouldn't work on someone with strong Haki like Law or Luffy is contradictory to the whole point of Usopp's big scene in Dressrosa where he retraumatizes her.

I don't actually care about Law shaking off Doc Q's power here, but I like that scene in Dressrosa so I don't like people suggesting that.

I dont think its too big of a stretch to say pre-wano luffy didnt have enough haki to undo sugar's spell, so that scene is still pretty important

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Decided to read these early scans this week. Is the visual quality always this bad on them?

I need to see a better resolution on that Robin outfit

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

lih posted:

it's not the regular scanlation team, someone unusually beat them to it with much worse quality scans & translation

Yeah i know its not TCB, i just don't know why the scans are worse with them compared to what TCB gets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

The “scans” we get from TCB are people digitally drawing over the top of the newsprint. This other group got theirs out earlier because they’ve taken less time/care to fill in all the linework (and do proofreading it seems)

I did not know that was the full process, that explains a lot