Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I have finally caught up with One Piece. This new arc is cool and looks like it has all the pieces for a satisfying conclusion, but also I can't imagine it taking any less than 10 years lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume it's a) a new thing developed by Vegapunk and b) something that requires specific conditions or setup so they can't just drop it anywhere at any time.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The whole Cross Guild thing reminded me it's kindof weird that we haven't really seen any serious attempts at bounty hunting (for pirates) since Whiskey Peak. Could Sword try and claim rewards?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think naming and defeating Celestial Dragon champions was always going to be a necessary part of any ending.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean we saw him talking with the Elders so at the very least they probably think he's working for them? I'm curious what the logistics would be though, did he only start working for the government after he stole the Gum-Gum Fruit from them? Or was he the guy transporting it on behalf of the government?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In terms of Shanks' motivation, I think it would make some sense if his reason for working with the government is that he doesn't want the One Piece to be found. He didn't reach Laugh Tale but Roger did tell him something, and maybe there's some consequence of its discovery he wants to avoid. He basically did nothing while Big Mom and Kaido's stalemate largely guaranteed that no-one could find it, and only started moving once that balance was broken. Now there's a real threat from both Luffy and Blackbeard he wants to get there first and prevent someone else from finding it and 'changing the world'.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is it possible Shanks was the one who told the Elders about the significance of the fruit? I can't remember how the timing lined up on Shank's conversation vs the later one the elders had about it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Big Mom was always a freak of nature though, and Kaido has a fruit that makes him exceptionally tough. It could be different for a guy who relies on actively using haki to defend himself.

For things early on in the story that are hard to explain given what we now know I'd submit Twin Cape being basically deserted in spite of being a critical chokepoint that thousands of ships must have to pass through. You'd really expect there to be a big navy base there or something

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The straw hats have protected or reinstated a just monarchy over a bad criminal man like 5 times

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Have we seen any democracies other than Water 7?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it comes down to Oda liking storylines about saving princesses

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume a lot of maritime trade is happening given all the piracy. We were introduced to the Shipping Guy in WCI afterall.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Did Cobra really not expect to be killed after saying all that

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Imu's unstabbed picture of Vivi is interesting in the light of the Lili news. It'd make most sense to me if Imu is immortal and knew Lili, and was struck by Vivi's resemblance.

I also think it's likely that Imu is the as yet unrevealed island-destroying superweapon Uranus. I'd guess they were made immortal to prevent the weapon from reincarnating somewhere the world government can't keep tabs on it (as happened with Neptune). The elders can't actually force Imu to do their bidding so it's not like they can just nuke every island that rebels, but they may be able to coax Imu into action sometimes.

Imu is the 'ruler of the world' in that they are accountable to no-one and the Elders have to keep them happy, but given their limited seeming intelligence I doubt they're plotting and pulling strings so much as acting out personal whims.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just makes me think of Hollow Knight every time they're onscreen

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Skypeia's history tablets strongly suggest at least some people came from the moon. My guess is the Lunarians are "pure-blooded" aliens (the name fits, afterall) while the Skypeians and similar races are the result of interbreeding with humans (who ended up losing almost all the Lunarian traits except vestigial wings).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Starsfan posted:

As interesting and different that I think the idea is of having Imu Be a immortal woman from 800 years ago who has been running the world since that time, I have to agree with those who think it's unlikely simply because at some point Luffy is going to punch and potentially outright kill this woman, and that doesn't seem to be Oda's style.. I mean what was the last woman bad guy that Luffy ever got a clean shot in on and blew up? was it actually Alvida or has there been anyone since that time? I know he clashed with Big Mom a few times but I have no recollection of him actually damaging her.. And Luffy kind of has to punch Imu at some point really really hard....

**Did Luffy even ever punch Ulti? maybe when she was in dinosaur form?

He got some shots in on the snake princesses on Amazon Lily, although he does ultimately have mercy. The female villains do usually end up fighting Nami or Robin but given what happened to Monet I can't really imagine Oda being squeamish about having Luffy punch one

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Leaked clip of Luffy defeating the final villain:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

hatty posted:

You can’t punch hot women is the rule I think
Really hitting Vivi while she's down here

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

This kind of all stems from too many extra arc characters and not enough Strawhat downtime hanging out together, basically since the timeskip.
I think WCI really benefitted from 1) a slimmed down set of straw hats, 2) fewer secondary protagonists and 3) a scaled down mission objective that wasn't "take out the bad guy and every single one of their officers". The focus characters got a lot more time to shine and it was also a breath of fresh air to have a storyline revolving around rescue/intel gathering/assassination and escape rather than just fighting everyone in sight.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lili was so put off by Imu's advances that she swam off to a largely unreachable island in the middle of the Calm Belt and refused to let any men ever set foot there

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess it's posible that the felders regard her as a traitor and despise her but are forced to do her bidding because a) immortal and b) walking nuclear arsenal

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm pretty sure the Doylist explanation for Cobra's recap is that it's been like five years since we first learned about the families and the swords and Oda figured the readers could use a refresher.
I think we can accept this small contrivance in a series where the main characters usually arrive at a significant time for every island they visit entirely by coincidence

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Given how small Im looked on the throne maybe it's just a regular sized hat

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

CommunityEdition posted:

My theory - And THAT’s why we’ve never seen them use devil fruits for themselves when they clearly have the means to obtain them - because in this setting, power derives from dreams, and theirs are purposefully stunted. And that’s also why Mjosgard is the only “normal” Celestial Dragon we’ve seen to use a melee weapon - because Otohime gave him a dream, and that gave him the literal strength to act for himself.
That makes sense to me. See also Doflamingo who seemed exceptionally powerfully since he was driven by a desire for revenge.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

anime was right posted:

viola is at reverie
Her fruit is pretty wild when you think about it. If the World Government knows about it they should really be doing everything possible to arrest her

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's also possible Sabo managed to get the letter off Cobra, all the new information Cobra's provided so far came from there.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Garp has never explicitly referred to Dragon as his son yeah. Although I think Sengoku once called him out for having a bloodline that kept causing problems and Garp didn't correct him. Dragon does look a lot like the silhouette of Rocks so it's a tempting theory

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gyges posted:

Just because it's not on the poster doesn't mean the WG doesn't know. Dragon's young enough that he was still a kid when Garp was on the rise/in his prime. Ciper Pol or some attentive Marines around him would surely notice him taking time to be with his family. They seemed to know Luffy was his grandson almost immediately, even if they didn't make it public.
It makes sense they'd know about Luffy and Garp given that Luffy announces his surname to everyone and looks a lot like Garp did when he was younger. Meanwhile Dragon has not said a single line to either Luffy or Garp for the entire series

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 23, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kizaru is coming to Egghead right? Seems like a good opportunity for the Straw Hats to get redemption against the Kizaru/Kuma duo.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's one thing to have filler you can just skip but it's a real shame when scenes are paced absurdly in order to pad out a chapter (or even less) into a whole episode. I know about One Pace but it seems like they should go back and re-edit some of the older arcs officially

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ivankov did something for Crocodile in the past, and it's a secret that forced him to help in Impel Down. Given what Ivankov's fruit does it's a natural assumption.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Right, so ‘Croc was a woman’ theory comes from what the posters above describe. The ‘Croc is Luffy’s mom’ comes from the idea that Croc acts oddly during Marineford after it’s revealed that Luffy is Dragon’s son. He takes more risks to protect Luffy after that, like defending him from Akainu. Some claim Croc’s actions here are out of character… unless Croc just learned Luffy is his son
There is definitely something going on because Crocodile's only previously declared interest was that he hated Whitebeard, so it's strange that he effectively joined the battle on Whitebeard's side (and there's no obvious reason he'd go to bat for the kid who put him in jail). It could just be that he has a strong link with Dragon though, we don't really know anything about either of their pasts.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Larryb posted:

Makes me wonder what political cartoons are like in a world where the government can kill you for the slightest offense and there’s an entire group of people who are completely above the law
They're mostly pictures of infamous pirates interacting with animals. You can't explicitly endorse their actions so you express your support in elaborate code

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nice. Is "D" like the tattoo from Wano only on a generational level? Like whoever Toki sent 800 years forwards is going to arrive and use it to identify their allies?

Also the amount of poo poo Wapol knows is pretty wild given that we know he gets in contact with :bignews: later

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Clearly they all gave zoan fruits to their weapons, that's why you see them all draw them in the previous panel

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kinda getting the feeling that everyone is a D. Or more that anyone can be a D its not just an insignia passed down through your family. Sorta neat imo.
Yeah. I think it'd make sense if it was just a way to mark yourself as an ally of Joy Boy given that Lily did something and they never worked out if it was deliberate. Probably released some key prisoners who went on to make/distribute the poneglyphs. Going forward it was more a sign of keeping a spirit of rebellious adventure alive even if the explicit meaning was lost.

My guess is that Lily was executed for her betrayal(?) and the missing sword is just Imu's. Imu either never placed it or took it back as a symbolic act when they ascended to the throne

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Something I haven't seen anyone talk about is who ordered the CP agents to kidnap Vivi. Does anyone think this is meant to be a mystery or is it likely just Imu? They grabbed Vivi's picture before so I think it makes sense that they'd order this even before Cobra's meeting.
Yeah I assume the scene with Vivi's picture was Imu making the decision to have her arrested. It might be like Orochi where Imu knows something is supposed to happen soon and they're getting paranoid (going after someone who looks like a traitor from long ago)

e: it could even be that Imu suspects she's Lily jumped forward from the past, we know at least Toki escaped

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 1, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

In the same vein, Whitebeard called Blackbeard a “fake D” and WB knew what the D means. If you can just assign it to yourself, how can it be fake? There must be more to it.
I assume in that he doesn't embody the ideals it's supposed to represent. For example his extreme cowardice in the face of death at Marineford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm usually suspicious of "D" theories that point to some English word, especially a word that is constantly said in Japanese throughout the series (ie Akuma no Mi). "Dawn" is a good one though since the word is written in English in the title of the first chapter.