Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pureauthor posted:

Give me Buggy viewpoint

This is what I'm hoping for.

Let me see the Buggy-Crocodile-Mihawk work dynamic in action :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

One Piece... good.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Buggy :allears:

This is exactly what I wanted, poor guy is in so far over his head.

Luffy in the cage is an amazing gag. Can't wait for Nami's conquerors haki to be pivotal in the next arc.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

blizzardvizard posted:

In theory Buggy is immune to all physical attacks, slashing or otherwise as long as he splits his body exactly at the points where he was going to be hit. Question is whether he's grown strong/skilled enough to be able to do that.

The real test of his limits would be Crocodile. Can he split himself fast enough and small enough to avoid millions of grains of sand?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Eiba posted:

I'm pretty sure he got a bit of a boost by partnering with an Emperor and using his underworld connections to finance hits on the Navy. It wouldn't be that high if he was just a guy with a strong ability.

Enel would only get a crazy bounty if he did something really destabilizing to the World Government, like getting people to believe he was God and declaring a religious war against the Celestial Dragons.

Enel would be a target of the World Government because he's learning the secret history of the lunarians in those moon ruins :v:

Also he would probably just fly to Marie Jois and start throwing lightning bolts at celestial dragons.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Silver2195 posted:

I don't think Crocodile did have Haki in Arabasta, though. Even pre-timeskip, there are visual cues when Haki is being used that just weren't present. I have no problem accepting that he straight up had a mental block that kept him from using Haki after his loss to Whitebeard, and became able to use it again after losing to Luffy and regaining the resolve to become Pirate King with his own power instead of relying on Pluton.

:hmmyes:

It was the mysterious power of Ms. Goldenweek's hypnotism (explicitly not a devil fruit) that reawakened his haki during her cover page arc.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

His body is made of rubber because Nika's body was made of rubber, it's not complicated.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drat, this poo poo is crazy.

The way Blackbeard was talking makes it sound like stealing devil fruit powers is something the darkness fruit can do. His "weird body"... is because he ate that fruit, not something weird about him from before that, which makes sense.

I like the explanation of why Yamato stayed, though I kinda wish we'd just gotten it a couple chapters ago. It does fit with this idea that the WG is done loving around, with their crazy new Lunarian pacifistas.

I was half expecting Cross Guild to come to Hancock's aid, but Rayleigh is pretty cool too, I guess :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

davidHalestorm posted:

Yeah, I'm confused at the sequence of events there The little Pacifista attacked Blackbeard, he did the Black Hole but then suddenly the Pacifista is away from Blackbeard and next page, Blackbeard was choking Boa. What? Bad scans maybe?

The sequence of events is:

- Pacifista is attacking Blackbeard
- He uses his fruit to send out some sort of shockwave and knock it away
- Hancock uses Slave Arrow to turn everyone except herself, Koby, and Blackbeard to stone
- Koby tells the Pacifista to stop attacking so it doesn't smash the statues of marines (including Helmeppo and the vice admiral)
- Blackbeard grabs Hancock

It looks like Hancock was gearing up for some sort of attack before she got grabbed, the geography of the whole thing is pretty vague but it works dramatically. We don't have time for panels of Blackbear zooming over to her or whatever, there's too much poo poo going on!!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I can't believe how much Oda is able to stuff into a single chapter. It's also great to see Blackbeard in action and justifying his status as emperor.

Yeah it's interesting how almost all of his action has been off-screen, fun to finally see him in action again. I love how his crew are just a bunch of mean, dumb shitheads, like the villains in a kids movie :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jose posted:

What would the awakening of buggys fruit be like

He gains complete control over all the atoms in his body and gets the powers of Suika from Touhou: turn into intangible mist spread across miles, or become 100 feet tall with super strength.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

What a good chapter.

Love the stuff with the crew on the ship, it's so nice to see that again, feels like it's been ages.

I don't think the island was already marked for destruction. It's just unlucky that he's on an island they don't mind annihilating, because it was taken by revolutionaries. Why would Im be destroying some random islands just because the king was deposed? This would be happening all the time if that were all it took.

I think he's operating Uranus remotely, from the castle. Maybe using the Big Hat....

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The World Inferno posted:

Just as a warning, raws are out early this week. Usually they drop sometime Friday U.S. time, but they're already out.

No spoilers, but for anyone curious, the schedule has been going:

- Tuesday-Wednesday we get a trickle of info, usually a chapter summary that teases reveals but doesn't give specifics.
- Thursday more detailed summaries come out.
- Late Thursday/Friday raws drop, which are non-translated photos of the chapters in japanese.
- ...and then TCB Scans gets at it sometime Friday and does the clean first translation pass.

What? We've been getting chapters on thursday for ages. Last week it was the early afternoon.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Or a robot.

This is my guess. Some sort of robot body, since we know his clones have to grow up at normal speed.

I liked the little interlude with the giant kids, nice to be reminded of the last mad scientist we met, even though he's been showing up in the cover page arc lately.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

have we seen this Battle Franky suit before? it has a 12 on it but also says Vega Force 1

That's a Vegapunk robot, not a Franky.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fungah! posted:

now i'll say what i will about dressrosa: it's probably the second worst post-timeskip arc but it's not bad overall and has some great moments (god usopp...!!!). holds up way better on a reread

Even the absolute worst arc of One Piece is still One Piece, and therefore good.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

What a good chapter!

I love the Vegapunk gimmick, this is going to be a really fun arc. I really like the design of Atlas, reminds me of Tezuka or early Akira Toriyama.

And so many good gags! Lilith getting intimidated by Zoro while the others continue to freak out and/or be charmed by the cyborg sea beasts! Luffy and co pigging out on the automatic food machine! The holograms!

Plus, I'm excited to see CP0 in action. This arc is gonna be great :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, isn't she the Socialite from Whole Cake Island who was actually a secret Cipher Pol agent, the one who tried to steal the Fishman Island chest and got rumbled by :bignews:?

Yeah, she was infiltrating the group of underworld leaders who were invited to the wedding. She was going to steal the tamatebako, but some other underworld guy got to it first so she shot him with a CP9-style finger gun, which made him drop it off the edge of the cake castle, where it exploded and made the whole thing collapse.

Morgans witnessed all of this, but she threatened him into saying that the other guy just dropped it, she wasn't involved. So, on the more competent end of Cipher Pol agents, it seems like :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I went back to check if Hattori was still with Lucci, and not only is he there, but:

He has his own little bowl of corn to eat :3:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jose posted:

Luffy was putting up a decent enough fight against kaido he might have won with gear 4 had cp0 not interfered. Lucci should get clowned on

I feel like the rest of that fight shows that Kaido was just toying with him, Luffy wasn't anywhere close to winning before going cartoon mode. It still took a LOT of physically impossible beating to take Kaido down after that, it's not like he only did it for the final hit.

Gear 5th Luffy fighting Lucci is going to happen because it would be incredibly funny. Someone even MORE serious than Kaido, having to deal with the wacky cartoon man who is nonetheless kicking his rear end? C'mon, that'd be great.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

papasyhotcakes posted:

Can luffy beat goku in one of the holojillion new forms?

Luffy is a gag character when he's in gear fifth. His power is on the level of Arale, Goku doesn't stand a chance!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh my god, Jimbei in a hawaiian shirt... it's perfect :allears:

Also I'm very excited for Bonney/Kuma backstory. I guess Kuma is the only warlord we still don't know anything about, huh? Well, besides Mihawk, of course.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh poo poo I just realized

Doc Q can probably give you I'll-Die-If-I-Go-On-That-Island Disease.

Then Van Augur warps you to the island and you die.

Unbeatable combo!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Great chapter.

I love how Law calls out Blackbeard for giving everyone on his crew a fruit, and he's just like "well, sure, but it's worth it!" Gives us a very compelling way for Law to win, or at least get away.

This really feels like the arc where poo poo is just happening, at a scale and speed that we've never seen before. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a short one like Zou at this rate, it's wild.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Delphisage posted:

Why did this guy not get fired? I get that comics companies are understaffed, but COME ON.

He always meets deadlines, which is way more important than artistic integrity in that business, it turns out :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah that looks very similar to DQXI, which was fantastic. JRPG is such a perfect fit for the series, it's wild that they've never done one (or at least not for a very long time, I'm sure there was one).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Guy A. Person posted:

Also even beyond like the “broken will” thing (which we know isn’t the entirely true because we obviously have a lot of people resurge at this point like Cobra and Lucci) there’s still the understanding that once Luffy kicks someone’s rear end it’s not like he is going to turn around and lose to them again since he keeps on getting so much stronger. Like he just casually deflects Cobra in Marineford and the tone is def “Luffy outclasses this guy”

Cobra? Vivi's dad was at Marineford???

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I wonder when enel is going to come back and gently caress everyone up from his space boat

I believe in Enel, and his army of moon robots.

Hey this current arc is pretty sci-fi themed... maybe Enel will finally make himself known and shake things up at a critical moment.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Caidin posted:

I'm waiting to hear the exact explanation behind the Seraphim, beyond whatever other modifications they've had, being based on the original warlords.

Oda seems to be about to establish that Kuma is in fact genetically different so maybe they all were. That's the secret Ivankov has on Crocodile, even.

It probably all ties back into the mysterious Lineage Factor that was mentioned ages and ages ago. Along with both cloning technology and devil fruit technology (feeding devil fruits to inanimate objects, etc), it's not a stretch to think that Vegapunk figured out how to copy/transfer the special "racial" abilities of Lunarians and whatever special race Kuma is.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Well holy poo poo (@chapter)

anime was right posted:

a huge reveal there where lineage factor contains memories/personality traits and we know devil fruits affect lineage factor

devil fruits literally are a persons will, arent they?

It's just like I was saying after the Nika reveal, every fruit is based on some person from the past, Luffy's is just the one where that's most relevant. Or, rather, the first one that we actually know about, because he's the protagonist.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sometimes companies are extra cautious about names when the rights holders are well known for being litigious. It's just not worth the trouble (though given the length of this series... it would be worth the trouble, actually).

See also: Capcom changing the name of the character in The Great Ace Attorney to "Herlock Sholmes". The Doyle estate had just sued Netflix, they didn't want that messing up the launch of an old game in the US.

That one is fun because it has historical precedent that makes it airtight. One of the early Arsene Lupin stories has him face off with Holmes, completely unauthorized, written when Arthur Conan Doyle was still alive. He sued, so subsequent reprintings featured Herlock Sholmes instead. Clearly the TGAA character is referencing that legally distinct literary entity.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drat, what a crazy chapter

Vegapunk's design is way more out-there than I was expecting, but I love it. Especially when he showed up at the end of the chapter, with just a completely empty skull. Based on the "memorizing all the books" and "I see your head has grown" thing, I'm guessing it's a thing where he has an eidetic memory, and in wacky One Piece physics that means his brain is constantly getting bigger :v:

Saul being alive is Cool and Good and I believe it. Robin getting the spotlight, as well as the giants, is unexpected but very cool. We are definitely going to Elbaf, maybe sooner than I thought, this could be a short arc where they get chased away by CP0 and a bunch of Seraphim.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Brandfarlig posted:

Extremely appropriate for Luffys dad, I believe it.

I can't wait for the chapter where Luffy and Dragon meet, and we finally find out that Dragon is actually a goofball just like his dad and son. Show us the grim leader of the revolution making a cartoonish face, Oda!!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

tbp posted:

i guess we are pretty confirmed then that the spacePirates are vegapunk's allies or affiliates in some way

I don't remember any of them loo- ohhhhhhhh

Is he the secret leader of the space pirates? Is Enel going to come down and attack the island as part of an ongoing feud??? :tinfoil:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Baron La Croix posted:

The fakeout that annoys me the most is Pound, who went from a pretty nothing character to a really good one entirely because of the way he died.
And then it turned out he survived the giant flaming sword being swung at his neck???

I'm mad that Pound survived but we haven't seen Pekoms since he was being swarmed by Big Mom pirates in that same battle.

He deserves the death reversal way more, imo

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

bitmap posted:

if I were to split myself into multiple aspects I would simply not make an "evil" one

But then all of your aspects will be a little bit evil! Better to concentrate it so you can manage it actively.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

You just KNOW that the bug-attracting lightsaber is going to be critical to the resolution of this arc

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tree Reformat posted:

Kuro is like exhibit A of "oda really did not expect the power creep to get as absurd as it did" because it's hard looking back to see how the dude could ever have been a big deal in One Piece world that arc tried to sell him as given what the actual power players are like in comparison.

Why?

He could move super fast and use like ten swords at once. His skill isn't impressive... compared to CP9, the world's greatest assassins. The same goes for the vast majority of the population of the planet. It's not a meaningful comparison.

The world of One Piece is huge, there's plenty of room for normal pirates and marines going about their business out in the Blues. The Grand Line is a whole different world, and the New World is another level up on top of that.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hmm, so I guess all the Vegapunks are robots, not only the ones that look like robots. That makes sense. Lucci did say that Atlas was still alive, I wonder if we'll have them all escape, somehow.

Lots of good Luffy bits in this chapter. Him agreeing to let Vegapunk join because of his head :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Live action One Piece is such a fundamentally bad idea that it will be a massive victory if the show is remotely watchable. They hosed up Cowboy Bebop live action, and that's a series that draws heavy inspiration from film! One Piece is cartoons and manga all the way down!