Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I imagine the movies work such that the events dont happen but the important backstory bits did.

now that i've said that, next arc will just be a retelling of Film Red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

hatty posted:

Will we ever find out what Roger was sick with or did he just have the I gotta inspire the next generation disease

anime tuberculosis

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I got the vibe Big Mom's children help keep the peace/assistance. They're pretty well regarded by the people and presumably meant to be the ones who try to handle problems (like Big Mom) when they arise. And also rebuild your food houses.

The brief aside we got in the lull between the collapse and Luffy's mirror escape showed that the frustration with the people was brewing because the cost (their soul) and the risk (mom) they expected to still be fairly protected and that night was anything but on just about all possible sides for them.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

remember when they stabbed pekoms' eyes out so he couldn't sulong was that hosed up or what

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

Break next week.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Using my advanced observation haki to read the chapter early

tried this and overshot to a future break week

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

He's also the character that absolutely everyone hates, in universe.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Caesar Clown... Buggy the Clown....

Caesar THE Clown! :stare:

Everyone in the world when they found out Buggy is Caesar's son: oh my god this means Buggy is a scientific genius. His father even worked with THE Vegapunk!!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

According to the wiki Buggy is 39 and Caesar is 40.

That means Buggy is a scientific genius, his brother worked for THE Vegapunk!

and just wait until we learn who their parents are!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The yamato stuff is still frustrating but it was at least nice to see the flashback we should have gotten like 3 chapters ago. The Marco stuff was cute. The rest of the chapter was incredible; the new pacifistas are insane

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

Yes. Also we know the pirate empress has to abdicate when they fall in love and want to settle down, so I think the implication here is that Shakky gave up her throne to get with Rayleigh

Terper posted:

Yup. Due to the timeframe, it was theorized she was part of the Rocks pirates, but nope!
Or she got with Rocks :v:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

How many normal volumes does this cover? And do they keep the SBS?

Each volume is about 200+ page long so, the math works out that it's about 103 volumes aka "All of the ones currently released"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Shiryu will defeat Mihawk via a mix of his own sword skills and some dirty tricks, and is publicly declared the Greatest Swordsman in the World.

Zoro, knowing that a dirty cheat doesn't deserve the title and looking to avenge his mentor, duels Shiryu while holding Mihawk's big cross sword in his teeth.

but of course, he will get the final blow with Mihawk's teeny tiny dagger

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I think Teach comes across as a lot more straightforward in the official vs the fantranslation.

So he's just 'Well, you're a threat and I can't trust your word. Time to say goodnight.'

I got the same straightforward vibe in the fantranslation too

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think if he was rushing, we wouldn't have spent the last like two or three chapters on flashbacks and things other people are doing and would have just had the Straw Hats on the next island by now.

I think even if he dropped everything and went into a maddash to the end in one year he would still have these check ins because they're important as set up to the world and where it's going, they'd just be abbreviated

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

mabels big day posted:

https://twitter.com/TCBScans/status/1569779493686112256?t=zt5G35IWcRm81L6y59fK5w&s=19

How can next chapter be a bigger spoiler warning than the last few chapters. What is oda cooking

next chapter: wano act 4

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

really if you think about it the crew's had very little time just sailing around to touch base on stuff like that since brook joined. they went to sabaody and got sabodied, they met back up and it was almost immediately off to fishman island, they get a distress signal and head to punk hazard, they nab caesar and immediately head off to dressrosa, brook almost immediately gets sent off with sanji, chopper, and nami to zou, then they have to go rescue sanji, and then they go to wano and get split up again almost immediately. brook's maybe spent a couple weeks, a month tops, actually sailing around with the whole crew without anything else on their minds.

they probably told brook the very broad strokes of stuff like alabasta and enies lobby at some point but i doubt they got into the weeds with it.

There's some unseen sailing time in general, but even then Brook had to be with the crew for like. A couple days? A week at best? And then saboady happened. Very funny even at the time.

Though in general I doubt the crew really talks about that stuff in general. It's very funny how we, the reader, get all this context and backstory but Luffy in particular doesn't get anything he was not directly told and even then there's a 50% chance he doesn't take in most of it.
I'm not saying they need to trauma dump on each other but makes me chuckle regardless

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

hatty posted:

Vegapunk transferred his consciousness to a clone or android I'm guessing, hope they dont spend too long on Punk Hazard 2

It's Vegapunk baby we're in for the comparative long haul

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I bet there's a whole set of vegapunk children to parallel Judge's children

To further show how much further vegapunk's tech is than Judge's, all his children have proper emotions and stuff like that

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The important thing about named CP0 being part of this arc is we might get a name for the nameless cp0 guy from wano

please, oda

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

yeah yeah yeah law vs blackbeard whatever the real news was Jinbei in the hawaiian shirt

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

tbp posted:

jinbei, one of the most recognizable beings on the entire planet: thankfully i can wear a tropical pattern shirt to blend in

that could be any dad

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

only when the 7 ways to read one piece a week are assembled can we summon kaido back for Wano Act 4

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

I'm on chapter 733 of my re-read and i'm really dreading the birdcage now lol. I binged Dressrosa, Zou, Whole Cake and the first half of Wano a few years back when I finally caught up. At the time I dind't mind the cage too much, it was obviously very long, but now that i'm refreshing the entirety of OP at once, like. 100 chapters is pretty long for 1 arc, and a third in Oda is already whipping out the diagrams so what the gently caress is gonna go on for the next seventy chapters.

Also Sabo really just walks back into the story.

The half way point is explicitly the beheading of the doflamingo clone and then it effectively restarts since now the whole gang has to go get doflamingo...again!

it's very bizarre, even if birdcage wasnt there. Whole Cake & Wano have their share of act breaks (wano's are helpfully labeled) but it never felt like literally a second arc that jsut happens to take place in the same place with the same goal

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

you know i appreciate them wanting to make the talking more lively but after a certain point there's just so many frames for minor movements that it feels excessive rather than impressive

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

guerNICA wake up sheeple

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

On One Piece Red. Tot Musica is a great song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJATdtg2rZQ

drat this does own

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Film Red Stuff!

https://www.onepiece-film.jp/en/chronicle-of-uta/

The Chronicles of Uta, which has Oda's notes on the movie and some backstory stuff about Shanks, is available in English! Contains spoilers for the movie!

It also sorta confirms a theory about Shanks that people have had for a while, which is that Roger picked up Shanks at God Valley.

quote:

*Please refrain from storing or uploading all or part of this content on the Internet,
posting it on social networking services, or using it for secondary purposes.
pfff

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I still love that the mad scientists in the setting got together in their own crew at one point and called them selves MADS

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

this is probably the least objectionable death fakeout. aokiji was always perfectly capable of disabling saul without killing him, while making it look fatal. he also had cause to do so.

also robin deserves happiness

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It's fascinating to see an arc blitz by like this

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

i will read the quick & dirty scans and then the better scans and then the official release

also jesus we're just really getting all the goods now huh wowza

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love all the straw hats just going "what the gently caress what the gently caress what the gently caress" at all the revelations and fights

big mood

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I just realized, the stuff about Devil Fruits kinda recontextualizes something Kaido said in a fun way. He said that it doesn't matter if you have a Devil Fruit and that the only thing that matters is haki/will. So you could interpret that now as saying it doesn't matter how much desire you have if you don't have the will to act upon it and make it a reality.

always trust Kaido, PhD, about devil fruits

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Something I haven't seen brought up in here

The MADS ship we see in the cover story is a dead-ringer for the ship that Franky found himself on after getting ran over by the sea train. It wasn't just any ship he used the remains to build his cyborg body, it was the old MADS ship

I dunno, there's obviously some stylization going on with the cover page, but there's 2 prominent wheels that aren't there in the ship Franky stumbles on. And it doesn't seem anywhere near as tall, even if there's a lot of metal and piping once he's on the ship.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Because it crossed my mind today and I still can't really accept it as true

It's loving Vegapunk, dude. He's right there!

he's right there and he's dropping lore bombs, god bless endgame

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The post post fruit, which makes you :justpost:

since the dawn of time, man has always had one goal: To Post

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Every HTML Tag...is a possibility for post evolution that someone desired!

If only I said it like this....if only I showed that image....All of these tags represent the many branches of posting!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I hope Kizaru being so laid back makes him the "perfect" counter to Gear 5 so we get a two-page spread of Gear 5 Luffy doing an enel face (the enel face causes massive property damage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yamato would have loved cool giant robot island :negative: