Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Terper posted:

Franky's portrait being the Sunny has to be setup for something. It's so bizarre.

it's a continuation of the gag where he was mad about his previous poster having general franky on it, idk if it'll do anything except set up a future gag where some marines are confused in person about it or something though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

the arabasta royal family are also the only ones who didn't move to mary geoise after founding the world government, there's some major significance there & it wouldn't be unusual if dragon were to know some stuff there. i think dragon knowing from robin that cobra is a decent guy who could even be a potential ally in the future would go a long way too

i hope vivi is with sabo rather than having been taken by im to be a damsel in distress

lih
May 15, 2013

Bleck posted:

I've often heard this but also never seen a source.

it does appear to just be a weird fan rumour that was never actually in SBS or anything

lih
May 15, 2013

just going to say Buggy D. Clown

lih
May 15, 2013

No Wave posted:

It's certainly looking like Rayleigh and Shakky are a couple. But I'm not brushed up on this side of OP lore.

yeah that was made clear when they were introduced originally

lih
May 15, 2013

sabo surely has to survive this, but like, how lol

also it seems pretty clear that he just got unlucky by going to lulusia when it was already marked for extinction - the gorosei say that it's unlucky for him to be there & that it's fate

lih
May 15, 2013

it's worth noting that luffy's dream has been mentioned before - it was similarly left out of the ace/sabo flashback & it's pretty clearly the same thing that roger said in oden's flashback (that was also left out), as the first we heard of it was shanks saying that luffy had said the same thing as roger

lih
May 15, 2013

i also saw it noted that vegapunk speaks in the style of an old man in japanese here

lih
May 15, 2013

anime was right posted:

my guess is hes honestly just completely amoral. doesnt think about the consequences of what he does. at all.

it would be pretty funny if the mediocrity comment means that hes actually from a time with futuristic technology and hes just some random loving guy but compared to now hes a literal ultragenius.

we know vegapunk at least has some sort of moral line, it was one of the reasons they fell out with caesar clown

lih
May 15, 2013

RatHat posted:

Her devil fruit power was cool though, shame we barely got to see it
she married one of the straw hat grand fleet guys so she'll probably make a brief appearance in whatever big final war there is

lih
May 15, 2013

kaido just wanted to have a gigantic army of df users to wage war against the world government with & was also seeking the ancient weapons to aid with that but only got as far as 'conquering wano because it seems to be important' there and didn't really have any leads beyond 'the samurai probably know something useful regarding the weapons/one piece'

lih
May 15, 2013

they did already make movies that were adaptations of alabasta & drum island but both made a bunch of changes (alabasta had a bunch of cuts, drum island added franky, replaced vivi with robin, and added wapol's brother as a new villain)

skypiea is the most standalone adventure arc so i agree it'd probably work best out of any like that

lih
May 15, 2013

it's worth checking out baron omatsuri and the secret island, it has a real distinctive style to it (it was directed by mamoru hosoda) & it's decent overall.

apparently there was a tv special that re-adapted skypiea ("episode of skypiea") as a movie but it wasn't very good? i'd never heard of it before but people seem to say that it cuts out way too much

lih
May 15, 2013

even oda forgot about him

lih
May 15, 2013

biggest problem post-timeskip has just been arcs getting bloated with more moving parts than oda knows what to do with, neither wano or dressrosa needed to be as long as they were. just feels like oda is trying to one-up himself in scale each time with diminishing returns

it hasn't been bad just feels like it could really use an editor to look over the draft outlines of each arc and tighten things up

& yeah kaidou was a weirdly disappointing villain in the end, there just didn't end up being much interesting about him?

lih fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 2, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

i did just re-read a bunch of wano recently & the bloat really starts to set in with the second act, there's just a whole lot of fairly extraneous subplots like big mom having amnesia, law's crew getting captured by hawkins & then law himself gets captured, even the luffy prison training arc is a bit more than it needed to be

it's the longest arc in the manga by a large margin at 149 chapters - even water 7 + enies lobby, which actually justified its length, was only ~120 all-up

lih fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 3, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah i would expect something like that is the case

whole cake was very good though, the only bit that felt a bit drawn out was the escape at the end iirc

lih
May 15, 2013

that was a fun chapter, vegapunk's gimmick is cool

kinda wonder if bonney being held hostage by the world government (we know they had her captive for a long time) was what lead to kuma becoming a cyborg

i suspect the wg think vegapunk knows too much and has outlived his usefulness now that he's made weapons as strong as the seraphim for them. with lucci speculating about lulusia there's probably some wider agenda though

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah it has to be kuzan. could be blackbeard sending a bunch of his crew/allies to attack whole cake after hearing that big mom was defeated or just gone to join up with kaidou (not clear on the exact timing here)

lih
May 15, 2013

also wonder why the kuma seraph is referred to as a problem child, it doesn't quite sound like he's there to just use as a weapon

lih
May 15, 2013

vegapunk just seems to want to be given the freedom & resources to do science and will happily work for whoever lets him do that

cp0 even commented on seeing vegapunk's artificial fruit back in wano so being suspicious about that is probably part of it too

we still don't really know why vegapunk considered it a failure but i'm guessing it'll turn out to be a really silly reason like 'the dragon was the wrong colour'

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah it's first time bonney being kuma's daughter was made clear, though bonney said some ambiguous stuff suggesting it during levely

kuma's consciousness having been transferred to the seraphim kuma makes sense, i guess the plan would be to make vegapunk get rid of it before they assassinate him/them?

and vegapunk lilith [EVIL] actually has a sense of right and wrong at least, it's just calibrated incorrectly

lih
May 15, 2013

how do you know if the pain is real, it could just be programmed to react that way without having any sort of consciousness

lih
May 15, 2013

if kizaru does show up (which feels pretty possible since just lucci 2.0 would be a little underwhelming as the arc's final boss) there would probably be some gags with luffy insisting on using the gloves even though he could just use haki

lih
May 15, 2013

i completely forgot that viola's fruit had the weird tear attacks power on top of the mind-reading and x-ray vision

lih
May 15, 2013

he better show up as part of the grand fleet

lih
May 15, 2013

i think we'll get a lucci/luffy rematch but lucci won't be the final boss of the arc or anything

lih
May 15, 2013

lucci is surely going to have awakened his fruit as a power-up

lih
May 15, 2013

skipmyseashells posted:

spoilers were probably the most craziest of the year so avoid that until Friday

finally, straw hat babies!

lih
May 15, 2013

that's not kuma, that's bisoromi bear

lih
May 15, 2013

it's extremely blackbeard (aokiji is working for him, remember) to swoop in and try to steal both poneglyphs & pudding after big mom & kaidou were defeated. but i don't wanna see law get killed/kidnapped/whatever already, i was hoping for him to become a friendly rival figure. blackbeard going after kidd wouldn't have the same impact i guess though.

i think we know more about kuma than mihawk really.

lih
May 15, 2013

based on the stuff with vergo it seems like you can resist other df powers if your haki is strong enough, but it probably just comes down to a battle of wills thing and doffy was just underestimating law

lih
May 15, 2013

we know burgess could have only gotten his recently but the others could have gotten them at any point since we haven't really seen them much since the timeskip

lih
May 15, 2013

yum posted:

There's no way Blackbeard doesn't know about the immortality thing with Law's fruit. Also, don't they need a doctor to use it effectively? Doc Q already has the sick sick fruit

i don't think blackbeard cares that much about it, because his focus here is the road poneglyphs and he's not specifically targeting law. i'm sure he'd consider it a nice bonus though, like maybe he'll threaten law with "i'll let your crew go if you make me immortal" or something?

did make me think of the secret treasure of marejois that when combined with the ope ope no mi would allow for world domination - that's surely something to do with imu, right? maybe it's even the big hat

lih
May 15, 2013

it's a shame law's crew never really got any development despite hanging around for so long. not that one piece has ever really needed more characters getting screentime but i'd probably have preferred to learn pretty much anything about law's crew instead of there needing to be so many red scabbards

lih
May 15, 2013

i don't think we're ever going to get any detailed history of haki/super elaborate mechanics defined too much beyond "if you're powerful enough you can resist fruit powers!" but we're almost certainly going to learn exactly what devil fruits are eventually & will probably learn a fair amount from vegapunk but probably not everything

lih
May 15, 2013

i think robin & franky will be interested for very different reasons too

lih
May 15, 2013

there isn't going to be a confused witness, it's pretty obviously a deliberate cover-up.

lih
May 15, 2013

vegapunk is going to have a device that can measure haki levels objectively. but the output is so complicated no one else can understand it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

so close to straw hat babies....

law's crew get to do something finally lol. wish they'd had the opportunity earlier. glad blackbeard isn't just rolling them at least. are we going to see koby locked up with pudding too? actually i wonder if kuzan is planning something with koby, if he does still have any secret allegiance to the marines it'd probably be with sword?

& vegapunk working with the revolutionaries too isn't that surprising but raises a million more questions. maybe it's shaka who's on good terms with dragon while lilith loves making weapons for the world government

lih fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 20, 2022