Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Now that's some good old fashioned One Piece. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If we can draw a line from navy to government to nobles then that definitely tracks, although that just makes it even more obvious that giants are important somehow.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's only one way Vegapunk could have implanted the cyborg parts in those kids and kept them looking so real:

Nanomachine truthists, your time has come at last.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't believe how much Oda is able to stuff into a single chapter. It's also great to see Blackbeard in action and justifying his status as emperor.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

If the Pacifistas are stronger than thier originals then this might be a way for Zoro to have something to fight after defeating Mihawk. Although I guess its sort of conceptually lame for Zoros fights to go Mihawk -> Mihawk Again

I continue to maintain that Zoro isn't going to defeat Mihawk; that ship sailed when he bowed down and pleaded to be trained by him, because he was casting aside his own personal glory for the sake of the crew. Zoro is probably going to fight whoever defeats Mihawk (be that one of Blackbeard's crew or someone tied to the government or nobles), which takes the stakes a little higher and gives some plot relevance to the fight, because what obstacle does Mihawk actually represent at this point in the series, with neither character at odds with each other, Zoro comfortably in the top tier of swordsmen already and Mihawk trying to just get everyone off his back so he can enjoy some peace and quiet?

I think Zoro beating Mihawk, at this point, would feel a lot more hollow than people realise, like the dog that catches the car and isn't sure what to do with it now. It was important to Zoro's growth at one point, but what point does it have now besides checking a box that people are refusing to take off the to-do list?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No-one has been through more personal growth and maturity than Koby, who has literally gone from small boy to seasoned adult in the span of two and a bit years.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 12, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And such quick work too.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If anyone was feeling fatigued by Wano, the series has reasserted itself with a bang. I can't wait to hear what Bonney has to say. What a chapter.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have no idea how even gear five Luffy is meant to stop that. Presumably the other ancient weapons, but it raises the stakes just the right amount.

Don't think I've jonesed for the next chapter so soon after the one I've just read quite this badly in a long while.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If we cut away from Bonney without finding out anything then I'm going to... be completely enraptured by whatever else we get, probably.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't know about you, but I'm ready to smell like adventure:

https://www.lush.com/uk/en/c/one-piece

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Vegapunk is definitely going to have a reaction of some kind to seeing his work replicated; whether he's happy or annoyed remains to be seen.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I appreciate Oda's moxie, he went all in on the biggest shoulders in shonen. There wasn't a person alive who didn't :eyepop: when they first laid eyes on them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

worth noting the moon robots were made by dr. tsukimi, who also comes from vegapunk’s home country of baldimore

When did this come up? I don't remember that at all!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My man Franky better get his due this arc.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't think there's any pre-timeskip arc I would cut down or rework like some of the post-timeskip arcs, but at the same time I wouldn't see them dramatically changed because they represent a sea change into something grander and more epic, where all the story threads start to coalesce and One Piece truly becomes about more than just a pirate crew wreaking havoc across the high seas.

Earlier arcs had the benefit of being fairly self contained while dropping hints of a wider story, while the later ones are trying to advance a larger story across multiple arcs. But One Piece now is still recognisably the same basic series as it was back then, and that kind of consistency while ramping up the stakes is really impressive.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sabaody part two was a great post-timeskip opener too, the Fake Hats were amazing and Luffy revealing himself to everyone then wrecking the pacifista was cool as hell.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm going to make a guess right now and say that Vegapunk-01 is the same race as King, and his other bodies are partly designed to throw people off the scent. It may also explain why the seraphim appeared just before the government decided to off him, they've cracked the genetic code and that was the secret sauce needed to ultimately make him disposable, more so than the other technology he's created (which he mentioned that no-one else was able to replicate anyway even from blueprints).

E: also they have a sky laser which probably isn't something that Vegapunk made, so they DEFINITELY won't want him around working out a counter to that.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 7, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think it's some sort of rubbery, hose-like effect. Not sure where I've seen that before.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It worked for Mario. :shrug:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am enjoying this pivot to Astro Boy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not even sure what Law has a crew for in the first place, he is more of a lone wolf and until Zou hadn't seen them in ages, then told them that he hadn't been sure if he was ever going to see them again at all. It feels like a holdover from his introduction that came back purely because he needed people to man his submarine.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's willpower made manifest as a form of energy, and there are several ways it can be expressed, trained and shaped, including wrapping it around stuff like a physical barrier or just blasting it out into the world.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oda really must be rushing through things; Pudding being captured and seeing where she ends up takes ten pages instead of ten years.

Also I guess Oda heard everyone asking what Law's crew are good for!

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 20, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Just gives me three chances to read One Piece every week. :smugbert:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I share mine with fuckin Absalom. :mad:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kuma was too attentive a father, so he was forcibly turned into an absent shonen dad.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And again when he thinks he's escaped attention then realises he's the most wanted person on Dressrosa.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Chapter

We probably haven't seen Vegapunk 0 because he literally split his body, and needs all of the other Vegapunks to come together first. Perhaps if CP0 manage to start killing off his bodies then he'll gradually reform into his original self.

Even with Franky's tech, I didn't expect One Piece to go full sci-fi on us! I guess I always assumed that the various bits and pieces of real or future tech like video screens and Franky's body were just for flavour and/or convenience, like in Naruto. I should have trusted in Oda more.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just watched the new One Piece movie despite having never seen or read One Piece, and it kind of made me want to watch and/or read One Piece.

Was Luffy's mom banging Shanks? If so good for her, that guy's hot.

Almost 1100 chapters in and we still spend every week hooting and hollering about One Piece.

So yes, you should definitely read it and post your thoughts and reactions because the only thing better than reading One Piece is reading it for the first time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is the Koby from Chapter 2 the same Koby from the movie? Wow, that kid is in for a heck of a glow up. What fruit does he eat that causes him to grow two feet, no longer need glasses, and get a better haircut?

He gets a daily dose of vitamin Garp.

Ah, such times you have ahead. This is one reason to read the manga over the anime; although you do find out how Koby changes so much in the anime, you get a sneak peek through a cover arc, which is where little bits of story (some extremely relevant!) get told through one panel comics on the cover of chapters.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You should definitely check out the anime openings as and when you get to their relevant chapters, they're pretty great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I never considered them spoilery, they just give you a taster of what's to come. It makes you wonder how they get there, it's why I always loved getting to a new opening.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also, Zoro is unkillable. Is him not dying to things that should make him hella died something that has a magical explanation, or is he just super tough thanks to push-ups, sit-ups, and plenty of juice?

You will see how Zoro trains a couple of times, the man lifts hella weights.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not rereading One Piece until it is over, but when I do it is going to be like reading with my third eye open.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rubberduke posted:

Buster Call Saul

Come Monday this had better be the thread title.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

"I re-quasar help!" is a great translation.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm hoping the seraphim aren't the focus of the endgame fights; they're cool from a story perspective, but to actually fight they're basically a mute version of the zombies from the ninja war in Naruto, so hopefully they're just there to keep the wider cast tied up and give them all a cool little hero moment.

Kuma being the exception of course.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lilith doesn't really seem that evil, at least by One Piece standards. Maybe Vegapunk is just a nice guy overall.

What I want to know is how one of them psychically poops for all the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

People who read on multiple devices, the SJ app just updated to include synced reading across devices! Gods be praised!