Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
We need a meme edit of that "They hated jesus because he told them the truth" except with Buggy now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So having finished watching the show with a friend I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it. To be clear I was hard on team "This is going to suck, there's no way to do this good, there's no way to compress all of East Blue into 8 Episodes, this cannot possibly work." And while it is not a perfect adaption and yes, some things had to be left on the sidelines, I don't actually mind, and ultimately for all the outside reasons the major one is it's not ashamed of itself. A big issue I put on a lot of adaptions is that someone onboard is ashamed of what they're making. They're ashamed they're making an anime adaption or a Witcher adaption, or that they're not working on X instead of Y. They become desperate to justify silly things or mock them, to find refuge somewhere and to hope that the work will be good in spite of what they're working on. One Piece might not have Usopp beating Chu with a hammer, but it doesn't need to have every beat from every fight. Sometimes it just needs to have good Choreography. And yeah it's a little silly that the intense, emotional moment of Luffy destroying the map room because "I have to destroy this place that is Nami's Trauma" to a "This is the way I beat Arlong." implication, but at the same time it hits all the notes it needs to hit. The new additions don't feel like they're done out of shame for what One Piece is. The things dropped don't feel like they've been dropped out of hatred or because it's "too silly." Maybe not every move is kept in a fight but it's due to pacing and medium.

Ultimately even changes I disagree with don't rub me wrong because there's no scene of the Straw Hats holding up the anime Jolly Roger and going "Ugh how childish" while doing a 'Modern' take designed to look 'cool'. They don't justify that oh no this costume was designed for a road show and not combat and that's why it looks silly like a superhero film would. It loves being One Piece. It's full of joy. not dreary sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek "Ugh isn't this just awful." misery. My only worries going forward is trying to cram too much into too little as One Piece gets longer. I see people saying to do all of Baroque Works in the same 8 1 hour episode season structure and... no, go from Logue to Drum, leave Alabasta as its own. But... I know Oda's involved, I know the actors are really having fun with their roles and everyone seems to love what they're doing. I'm looking forward to it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I still think, even now, my favorite part of Dressrosa is Doflammingo insisting that he's not like all of Luffy's other opponents HE won't underestimate him. Followed by continuously and repeatedly underestimating him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Alvida and Buggy wore their bounties with greater dignity than Kuro.

Alvida's terror on the seas was born of her ego, while Buggy served with Gol D. Roger on his crew, and while he lost his way, never lost his spark. That's why he clowned on Crocodile and Mihawk.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eiichiro Oda was telling a very complicated story with Fishman Island so I can understand the difficulty of knowing what was being gone for, thankfully I think we can look at the whole of One Piece to decipher the Enigma.

Racism is Bad, Slavery is Bad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly, Fisher Tiger was one of those characters when they first described him that was like "Ah it's impossible he could be that cool." And then he was exactly that cool. And yes he held amazing nuance and the fact that his death is so tragic is so powerful. Also, I know some people who've only seen the live-action have questioned pushing what would be Hody's supremacy thoughts to Arlong's words, but considering that the showrunner has actively said Fishman Island is one of his least favorite arcs, I'm pretty sure that's a direct response to it. Rather than Hody being inspired to be so supremacist just from Arlong being a prick with poo poo opinions and Hody taking it and running with it, we can now see the direct throughline of where Hody got this Rhetoric from. This, again, sells the horror and sadness of Hody Jones the Fishman who inherited hatred to the point there no longer existed a "purity" that met his warped lense.

By introducing early Arlong's view and expanding his goal from "Let's just knock over this one island while we make sea maps to take the east blue slowly." to that of mafioso of the East Blue and that dangerous "Humans need to be reminded of their place beneath the superior Fishman." We see how not only does that vile hatred inspire Hody but "Arlong clearly didn't go far enough."

Now granted that's payoff in... what Season 7? But still, from a "Backporting future lore to try to correct a weak arc." I see it working.

Also, worth bringing up, that Season 1 was intended to be 10 episodes (Cut to 8 because of Covid causing the budget to run out.) Ignoring how one episode was intended to be Loguetown, I wonder what the remaining episode would have expanded on, or helped them decompress?

I think if Season 2 actually gets to be 10 it's a pretty easy get towards Alabasta.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

luchadornado posted:

All this talk has me wondering if a Japanese manga about pirates with super powers isn't the best format for tackling complicated racial issues.

Would it be better if it was an American Comic about a space cop and robin hood?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Infinitum posted:

"Yeah turns out I'm ultra rich, so I'm just gonna pay the actors myself"

I was legitimately saying to a friend "I know Netflix is cancelheavy... but Eiichiro Oda is loving rich, so it's not he needs them to fund the production if they cancel the show he can really take it to any distribution service."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Me, before the show would come out: This show will be so poo poo, it has no way of being good.
Me, now: God, I wonder how they'll do the Bellamy punch, I can imagine they have him bouncing around but rather than do the big dramatic close-ups on the punches they'll just have him loving crumple after being punched. God, Usopp vs Luffy is going to go so hard with these actors.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If the question is "Is Luffy aware of the current ongoings of the world." He knows the basics, and has Robin on order that if it's important that he does know, to tell him. But he's also Luffy, so if it's not vital that he knows this right now, he doesn't care. I mean that defines Luffy, that was the whole premise behind Arlong Park that Luffy, knowing absolutely nothing about Nami's situation and not caring about the 'why' of her situation, is still willing to go all out and fight for her.

It's also why for backstories like Doffy, Luffy doesn't actually learn it. He doesn't know what hardships you went through and how you became the bastard you are, and also that poo poo ain't gonna save you from a punch in the face. He left the Kaido fight knowing as much about Kaido as he did going into the fight, he does not need to know that Kaido was enslaved as a young man and his obsession with the Joyboy concept and a desire to find Joyboy. Those things are context for us, the reader, They aren't going to halt the punches.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

So I wonder if there's a secret about the 'big prize' that the pirates are swarming the island to grab.

At first glance it seems that having multiple Devil Fruits in one place, especially when they include catalogued super-powerful ones like Pawpaw and Dragon fruits, is the obvious target, especially reinforced by Kaidou complaining that Linlin has no use for them.

But the thing is that the Roger pirates traditionally disdain Devil Fruits as not worth the trouble, so I don't consider it likely he decided to storm the place just to grab Fruits (to sell?)

There might still be another secret behind God Valley's stuff.

Also at some point someone is going to shove Shanks into a box.

Consider, Shanks is the Prize.

The prize was stolen from Pirate Island, everyone's gone crazy going for it, and Garland wins it... What if he won it but didn't get it? What if according to him, Shanks is his property?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

hatty posted:

still think it’s funny that Big Mom went from being potato shaped as a kid to being a smoke show in her thirties and then reverts back to a potato when she hits her fifties. Lady has weird genetics

Oda has a thing where people who lose their way/lose hope/suffer in some way, tend to get gonky, it's not exclusively like that but checking Shakky vs Elder Nyon, or the best example is the Good End/Bad End Nami's

It's not that old people become ugly, but... okay so Roald Dahl wrote once

And it feels like Oda subscribes to this, why does Stussy look so ugly? Because Stussy is a bad future. The future where Rocks dies and the Rocks pirates fall apart, since well, imagine if Luffy died and the Strawhats were left in a world without him, they'd probably all become dark of heart.

Now you can say this is "Beauty equals goodness" but no, we've seen women who aren't traditionally beautiful who are good people, but, if we specifically talk about Big Mum, a terror who finds purpose with the Rocks pirates and grows with them, to losing them and going on her own again.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Explanation as to what's up with Bonney and her fruit

It's not that Saturn has negated her fruit, but his knowledge of how her fruit works allows him to defeat her. Bonney's fruit isn't an age fruit, rather it can change someone to a potential future/past that Bonney can believe in. Bonney isn't losing power in her Nikaish future because he can turn off her fruit, it's because Saturn presents such an inevitable position of power and despair she can't actually consider him being a baby or a decrepit corpse, and he's causing her such despair as to make her stop believing in Nika. That is also why he notes she hasn't made the connection between Luffy and Nika yet. If she had, her belief would become concrete, empowering her.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

No Wave posted:

So Saturn created a nika-tier monster and let her get away? Sheesh these guys. I guess its a very good thing kalifa's sister never noticed her power.

I guess Kuma prime is also a monster of his own creation given how the cybernetics made him even stronger, so he's really being undone by his own plans here.

Of course he did, it's a useless power in his view He's an old decrepit gently caress at the very height of a corrupt power structure. There is no future. There's no happy endings, there's no Nika, there is Imu, then the Elder Stars, then the Celestial Dragons. It's a fruit that functions on imagination and belief dismissed by someone with no imagination or belief.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If you look closely Luffy has the ramen bowl Kizaru was eating from near him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Another example of "People calling out how Luffy's fruit does not work the way rubber works." Is in Dressrosa, Doffy calls out when he first sees Gear 4 "That's not how rubber works." Which... for the man with the bullshit string power, is hilariously hypocritical.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lucci really thought he was Him. He was like "Run it back, I can take Round 2"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It's another of those "Everything falls into place" for example Hey so why do the Celestial Dragons all wear loving bubble helmets? Why does the sea reject Devil Fruits? Hey so how did the 20 countries join with Imu in the first place? Was it joining with Imu? or was it "We'll bend the knee please don't loving kill us"? Why does Impel Down have boarded up windows in the water? How did those walls erected in Wano get there?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eiba posted:

The fact that it fits everything we've seen isn't what's earth-shattering. The fact that Vegapunk just announced that the world is ending is the earth-shattering part. It is a sudden, shocking announcement that the entire world is in danger. We had no idea that there even was a global crisis until this announcement. That is the :bignews:

But what's really getting everyone is that this unexpected out-of-left-field announcement actually fits with so many odd things about the manga. It is both completely unexpected and world changing, and incredibly well foreshadowed. It's a sudden unpredictable shift that actually explains a whole lot about the world. That's an impressive feat.

WHY WILL LUFFY DESTROY FISHMAN ISLAND?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/OgHumanTripod/status/1784642961663246583