Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

oddium posted:

i hope they go to the moon and befriend enel

That's in the sequel mecha manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Some weird choices there. And only 3 Luffys? Madness

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

there's four luffys, base, new world, gear 4, and gear 5

I missed Gear 4.

That's an appropriate number of Luffys

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He's just a cool rival guy who will probably show up in a minor role later on to help the gang. (Same will probably happen with cool old-school rival guy Smoker)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm pretty sure Luffy beat him

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nah Luffy won.

E: I think he lost like at least twice earlier but then they had a round 3 and Luffy won

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I do. It seems hype

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Might be off base but with all the advertising and stuff Film Red has gotten I feel like it's trying to aim for the standard the modern Dragon Ball movies have set, and they're all real solid movies so that's pretty exciting. Like, I guess since Strong World the OP movies have been trying to go bigger and more dramatic than the earlier ones but Film Red still feels like it's getting some extra attention.

Also, Shanks is cool. Excited for Shanks stuff.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tbp posted:

i'm a massive dbz fan and wasn't able to get too excited about thebroly movie either

i guess rn the only thing that i want from one piece is more Main Plot Lore. i feel it is time and the rest is distractions

Lore is perhaps the thing i'm least interested in lol.

Love the distractions and small moments

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I'm watching the filler episodes leading up to the movie now, and...did 7-year-old Luffy just beat Monster? Granted, Monster could have gotten stronger over time, just like Luffy (and presumably Shanks) did, but still, it's a weird dehyping of the critter that will probably be getting a big fight against Chopper in a couple years.

He’s just a monkey.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Big Mom's kids are very cool I think

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat, can't believe Dragon does not support the death of monarchs. What a loser!

Anyway, interesting that sounds like this whole Marine hunting thing was apparently Mihawk's deal before he became a Warlord. And I real like that his old moniker was Marine Hunter. Cool reverse of Zoro being the Pirate Hunter.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think we'll learn his deal.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

wtf........

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think he is

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Croc was def not a lower mid-tier boss fight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

power levels are bullshit etc.

Croc may have been introduced early but he was a very big badass and I don't think it requires much of a leap to to think he is still a very big badass now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

But Luffy has his Gears when he fought Moria. If Luffy had Gear 2nd when he fought Crocodile, he could have ended things much more quickly.

I bet even with Gear 2 Croc woulda handled Luffy those first 2 fights and then fallen in the 3rd.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I don't think Crocodile did have Haki in Arabasta, though. Even pre-timeskip, there are visual cues when Haki is being used that just weren't present. I have no problem accepting that he straight up had a mental block that kept him from using Haki after his loss to Whitebeard, and became able to use it again after losing to Luffy and regaining the resolve to become Pirate King with his own power instead of relying on Pluton.

What happens if he just had it but didn't use it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Expecting the Enel return any day now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Cross Guild will be allies. (Though Zoro and Mihawk will still fight)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Happy for them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Some of them will probably be summons I guess. Units would be cooler though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People be fast in One Piece. You don't the God Fruit for it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

how was luffy immune to enel's attacks if he didnt know rubber negates electricity

if he thought rubber negated sand would he have been immune to crocodile

Luffy is very fortunate that one of the effects of the God fruit is that completely unrelated to the cartoon imagination powers it also turns you into rubber for some reason.

Also, Sanji being able to kick fire is very good and does not need a devil fruit explanation. I will also continue to believe it is unrelated to his Germa heritage.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Scholtz posted:

Sanji/Luffy's limbs go on fire when they do a big attack because they trained hard but most of all it looks cool

This is just how it works.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Luffy's Freedom God powers genuinely do not change his powerset in any way. And that's kinda funny if sorta weird.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

no he is very sad the queen is dead, i asked him.

Wonder how he's going to take what Sabo has been up to.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clones feel like a definite escalation from robots. Not what I was expecting, that's for sure.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The point is he made a promise to his captain and to his best friend.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

skipmyseashells posted:

oda having to do film red ruined the ending of wano im telling you guys

drat you Shanks

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Blackbeard specifically is horny and implied in this chapter that Haki can’t block her power. He just grabbed her and turned off her power with the Dark Dark Fruit before she had the chance to use it on him.

Coby however, is gay

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nakama is an important word to One Piece because maybe you want to translate it as "crew" or something at certain points in relation to the Straw Hat Pirates but then if you do that when you translate it as "friend" in other situations where saying crew wouldn't make sense you lost a bit of the paralells being drawn through use of the same term.

This is a sort of complication that is obviously not unique to One Piece in any way but will come up commonly in translation. Of course leaving the word as is, is a poor solution at any rate.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BoosterDuck posted:

wasn't ace easily folding the blackbeard pirates before teach used the darkness to negate ace's logia abilities?

that whole sequence perplexed me on how teach was able to scar shanks at all

Ace was the Number 3 of the strongest Pirate crew in the world.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tbp posted:

i disagree that it's a poor solution entirely. for a word that is used with such importance in the story, i think you can trust the readership to be able to look up and understand the context it's implied in, and then that word becomes part of their lexicon as well. at least in nerdy online circles, nakama is completely understood by a significant amount of people now just due to one piece's sheer popularity, and having read the story you can "get" what it means no problem.

One Piece is a huge mainstream property and has a very wide appeal. Leaving a term (a simple and common term at that) untranslated because existing fans are familiar with it through scans and fansubs would absolutely be a failure in a professional translation imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Finally

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Can't believe that bastard Sabo just destroyed an entire kingdom.....

When will his rampage end???

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

so what are the predictions on luffy's dream? "destroy the world government/celestial dragons" seems pretty obvious, i wonder if there will be a twist

I like the speculation someone posted way earlier with the Roger flashback that was like "I want to throw a feast with the whole world invited!" From the reactions I think it needs to be naive and sorta silly and not just something super noble and ambitious.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hatty posted:

A big feast is too doable and ordinary, the crew reactions suggest something completely nuts like uniting the oceans or making pirate Outer Heaven

I don't know why Luffy would that other stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sabo escaped by the skin of his teeth and his proximity to the crime will lead to the dastardly Flame Emperor taking the fall for this terrible event.