Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Perchiyama
Jul 23, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Sometimes even if you would have a pretty good case, companies would just want to avoid any risk of lost time/money on a suit altogether.

Lawsuits can take a really long time, even seemingly open and shut cases. If Viz is up in court against those Zorro rights holders, that's potentially months that they could not publish One Piece. And yes, while the readers can just go to scans, the entire point of the digital Shonen Jump service is to offer official translations at the same time as the Japanese issues to create a convenient alternative to piracy. So it's really bad for them.
A belated comment, but apparently at the time of the original dub there actually was a (unrelated) lawsuit going on about Zorro and his copyright status. So 4kids and Viz took a look at that and went "not touching that' and just collectively made him Zolo in English products.

Then by the time of the Funi dub that had cleared up so he was Zoro there, while Viz is just weird about consistency so they stuck to Zolo forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Perchiyama
Jul 23, 2017
Theory: the secret that Kuma told Vegapunk to keep from Bonney is that he was already dying - something terminal is a great time to go "yeah sure turn my body into a robot, also hang onto my memories", because what've you got to lose?

Not entirely sure why he'd want Vegapunk to keep it on the down low, maybe just because it'd hurt her to know he was dead no matter what

Red Perchiyama
Jul 23, 2017
My one piece origins were the anime dub up through the start of Skypeia while it was on Foxbox and Toonami, then being vaguely aware of it for years later before jumping into the manga properly right in the middle of Dressrosa. I forget exactly when but it was right about the time of the Colosseum fights.

Red Perchiyama
Jul 23, 2017
Viz always seems adverse to changing translation stuff. I remember that the 4kids Ultimate Muscle dub used "Butt Buster" for the finishing move for a few episodes, then changed it back to "Kinniku Buster" in episode 7 of 77 or so, but the Viz manga kept "Butt Buster" the whole series. So it's probably something like that, "we started with Zolo after legal told us to change and we're just gonna stick to Zolo" or the like.

Red Perchiyama
Jul 23, 2017

Upsidads posted:

What's the dad statuses

Luffy: Dad running the Revolutionaires
Zoro: Dad dead in unspecified battle
Nami: Dad dead in unspecified war
Usopp: Dad with the Red Hair Pirates
Sanji: Dad running Germa 66
Chopper: Dad abandoned him
Robin: Dad implicitly dead but never specified
Franky: Dad abandoned him
Brook: Dad unknown, probably dead due to age
Jinbei: Dad confirmed dead, reasons unknown

Red Perchiyama
Jul 23, 2017
Honestly, with the "it made our job a lot easier", I think they didn't actually know Saturn himself was going to be here. The plan was probably to copy Vegapunk or someone else on Egghead who'd be able to get close, then work their way up the chain until they get into the inner circle.

Then Devon shows up, Saturn's already there, and she's just going "well no sense NOT skipping to the end"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Perchiyama
Jul 23, 2017
The upper sections have way more windows and potential entrances than the trunk does, with only a couple down there. Ohara was preparing to plug the lower part and just climb and in out of the top part of the tree if they had to.