Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fungah! posted:

th only truly despicable thing last chpater was traffy being rude to chopper, which has earned him the sentence of death

Can't believe he'd show such disrespect to a fellow doctor, possibly his only true peer on the island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

Oda deserves a rest. Let him run an anthology series where he occasionally drops in for some chapters while other authors do stuff in the same world or the same characters (i wanna see a series about the ramen CM straw hats) and possibly in canon

I mean that's literally what Boruto is. Kishimoto is listed as a co-writer but he doesn't draw it and wiki says he "supervised" from 2016 to 2020 so probably his work load was a fraction of what it was when he was the running Naruto.

I bet Oda could set up a situation where it's more similar to the movies where he gives story notes and makes designs and approves poo poo but isn't drawing 20 pages a week himself and is instead spending way more time with his family.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gyges posted:

Oda really should have just Price Is Right'd that poo poo. So close, but he foolishly listened to some rando from the audience.

Yeah the impression I get is this is less a "mistake" and more that they simplified it since it doesn't matter a ton and they wanted to abbreviate the bounties to something readable.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's both cool to see this data and embarrassing that the closest I got was 30k away from Chopper lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

I don't think Crocodile did have Haki in Arabasta, though. Even pre-timeskip, there are visual cues when Haki is being used that just weren't present.

Ehhhh, even as of Marineford a lot of the visual cues we've come to expect from Haki use weren't established, particularly anything for armament haki. No black coated fists/weapons and even in the moment Luffy uses conqueror's haki to knock out the executioners we don't see the black lightning that power has become associated with. You basically just had random people saying "woah did that attack have haki?" every so often, but you can bet like 90% of the attacks thrown in that arc were heavy hitters throwing out a ton of armament haki and there's no visual cues present at all.

EDIT: Whitebeard has a lot of visual flair to his attacks which are somewhat similar to some of the haki effects we've come to see but as far as I can tell those were all specifically meant to represent his quake powers. For example he punches the air to create shockwaves and those look like lightning crackles. However, when he attacks Aokiji and some mook is like "woah Aokiji just got hit with pure haki!" we don't see any kind of visual cue for that

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 29, 2022

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

i think either Blackbeard is just kind of an oblivious moron or he’s that *and*

Cat Machine posted:

Blackbeard recognising a Lunarian… Is Blackbeard a Lunarian himself… The Moon God to Luffy’s Sun God… :tinfoil:

Blackbeard is definitely not a moron, he seems to be the one guy on the planet aside from possibly Vegapunk who knows how to freely move devil fruits between users (maybe I am crazy but the conversation between Vasco, Catarina and BB seemed to imply that he could get Hancock's power without killing her). He is also the only known person to have 2 DF power's and this clearly came from some kind of deeper understanding of his fruit and probably his own physiology.

Based on that I think BB knowing about Lunarians makes sense, the dude is definitely more educated on a lot of what is going on in the OP world than the average person. Doubt this means he is a Lunarian himself tho, although maybe his hidden adjoined fetus twin is lol

Which brings up another point: I had seen speculation (maybe here?) that BB wanted Hancock's fruit to un-petrify someone else (possibly Rocks himself, which already has the clever pun) but Hancock states that this isn't possible. However, due to BB knowing stuff about fruits that other people don't, I wonder if he either 1. knows un-petrifying people is not possible, and wants it for some other reason, or 2. is smart enough to know something Hancock doesn't, and knows some kind of work-around. Same with the beauty thing honestly, he implies that he knows the fruit's power is based on looks when he says "I don't think any man can resist your charms" so he clearly would have thought about this and had a plan before raiding her island.

blizzardvizard posted:

Yeah I think the reason why the clones are all kids is because they're like, vat babies who grew up naturally (for a given sense of the word) instead of being abducted kids who were experimented on or entirely made robots.

Yeah this makes sense to me, a friend also pointed out this is likely why the WG is so interested in Jewelry Bonney, she can age these guys up quick.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

Franky beat one of the Flying Six, at least. But yeah, I don't think Franky really had any character moments in Wano (and neither did Usopp or Brook). Which shouldn't be surprising, given how many characters were around.

Franky ran over Big Mom’s face with a motorcycle then taunted her about it

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bleck posted:

Blackbeard really must be way more physically powerful than we've witnessed if he could grab Hancock before she could react. I mean, she's fast.

The first thing we ever hear about Blackbeard is that he gave Shanks his signature scar and not because Shanks was goofing off and being careless. Blackbeard was low key a secret badass for years before he even started making his moves and moving up the ladder fast. If he’s openly going head to head against someone like Boa on her own turf it’s because he knows he has the power to do that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

Why is Sabo communicating NOW something he saw in Mary Geoise weeks ago, and while staying in a completely different kingdom?

From the way it's presented, Sabo has likely been on the run since whatever went down at Mary Geoise. The marines specifically mention he is not jamming his call and he is seeking refuge someplace that just had a rebellion, so we can assume he hasn't had an opportunity to reach the Revolutionary Army until now and even then had to risk being traced. Obviously we only hear the intel about the empty seat, but there may have been more he was trying to pass along that got cutoff.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Super Rad posted:

We're all just throwing darts here but Sabo could be on a neighboring island or a ship off the coast which would explain why he's looking off to the side while everyone else is looking up...

my gut assumption with that shot was that Sabo was reacting to some commotion just outside of wherever he was hiding. so e.g. Sabo was in some safehouse, the crowd outside saw the clouds darken and looked up to see something happening, the sound of confusion and fear outside is what caused Sabo to look toward the door

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Countblanc posted:

only something like vegapunk reveal is powerful enough to pull discussion away from new hot marine babe

three this chapter by my count, no?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DeadBonesBrook posted:

This was a pretty thirsty chapter overall, especially in regards to new characters (and even with little Nami/Robin). We got female Persona 5 Joker with the spiked collar, sexy unnamed marine girl with legs, sexy marine girl who is Koby's friend, Bonney fanservice, and sexy marine Vegapunk.

Oh drat i was counting vegapunk as the third marine, gotta reread the chap now!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

One, where’s the chapter
Two, gimme the chapter

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

hahahaha

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Drakkel posted:

This is why I get so annoyed at people who endlessly complain about the fact that Luffy never kills the bad guys. It's more interesting to me seeing how characters evolve after losing to Luffy than just having a massive bodycount for the sake of a bodycount.

Also even beyond like the “broken will” thing (which we know isn’t the entirely true because we obviously have a lot of people resurge at this point like Cobra and Lucci) there’s still the understanding that once Luffy kicks someone’s rear end it’s not like he is going to turn around and lose to them again since he keeps on getting so much stronger. Like he just casually deflects Cobra in Marineford and the tone is def “Luffy outclasses this guy”

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Begemot posted:

Cobra? Vivi's dad was at Marineford???

gently caress I am still hungover. Crocodile

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

anime was right posted:

even zoro loves ninjas and really i love that for him

All men...are obsessed with ninja!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Last week was break week, we are now officially in a release week

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Franky realizing the emotional weight of situations and immediately bursting into tears is my favorite gag (see also: the tragedy of Duval)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

The black hair on the Kuma seraphim was an error, they're all meant to have white hair.

Yea but I think people are talking about the theory that the “special race” Kuma is part of is Lunarian and he just dyes his hair or whatever

(I am less convinced since we just learned about Lunarians so it doesn’t make sense to me to be coy about it)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Julias posted:

I don't like the komurasaki face on the cover. Her crying clashes with luffy laughing in front of her.

well she is taking a bite out of a spicy dragon so of course she is going to tear up and snot a little

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

anime was right posted:

god the composition of the jojos one is so good

poo poo, yeah, I gotta start reading that

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ryaomon posted:

Baby 5's backstory is 4 panels long and still affected me more than half the cast's

I was just thinking about this in relation to Brûlée and Katakuri’s shared backstory, which is about a page and a half in total but recontextualizes both of them at the end of the arc in such a brilliant turn around that now you kinda like them both after our heroes just narrowly escaped getting murdered by them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

hmm it’s intriguing but I don’t see Shanks getting teary eyed over a trip to space

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Sengoku: Teach, how do you respond to claims that your Shichibukai crew are still running rampant as pirates?
Blackbeard: Oh Fleet Admiral, I'd be lying if I said my men weren't breaking the law :hmmyes:
Sengoku: .....touché.

Lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

No Wave posted:

Yes. People were mainly misdirected by the fact he's a D and Ds die with a smile so it seemed like an illustration of that. Robin was also totally traumatized by what she thought was his death as well so it was easy to go along with. (The scene is absolutely brutal if he actually dies, especially the anime version.) It wasnt something that was discussed all that much comparatively.

But his being alive totally makes sense and works with everyone's arcs at this point and I think it was planned from the start. I make fun of pell and sabo in general but this one actually fits.

This was also pre-Sabo so there was a pretty firmly established pattern at that point of people dying in flashbacks to establish character growth and there wasn't any counter-examples of people popping back into the current narrative after being presumed dead. But yeah now that it is more plot relevant and we have some other examples, it fits into the current OP paradigm that Saul survived and continued to try and help his friends' dream.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Klewer posted:

It was also incredibly obvious that Sabo was alive after that flashback. In the anime, anyway. Wasn't reading the manga at that point so I don't know if it had that same scene that seems to clearly imply that he lived and was discovered by the revolutionaries.

yeah it was super blatantly obvious "oh there was this other brother I never mentioned but he died" then in the flashback you see Dragon rescue some kid who is burned lol like it wasn't even trying to be coy

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It’s not like Whole Cake was light on cathartic battles, and we the audience already know that Sanji would beat down his dad or any of his brothers 1 on 1

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Like everything we see of Judge implies he's weaker than his enhanced children or the higher rank of an Emperor's crew, both mentally and physically.

Yeah Judge himself might be a New World capable fighter but the overwhelming impression that I got was that the kids through their genetic and cybernetic modding were stronger than him. Sanji gets beat by Judge in a brief fight largely because he is distracted by his own memories and Judge's human shields but even then he isn't hurt that much at all (he's actually significantly less roughed up than Yonji is from his off-screen fight with Sanji, where he apparently got the entire side of his face caved in by one of Sanji's kicks)

Even if Sanji was only on-par or weaker than some of his brothers as of Whole Cake he's certainly stronger now post-Queen fight

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

mabels big day posted:

I'm sure that Kuma is, in the same way the Vegapunks are, linked to the Seraphim version of himself, if not every Pacifista version of himself. Hearing CP0 say they'd kill Bonney is what is causing the original Kuma to act.

Ooooh interesting

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cat Machine posted:

No way Franky doesn't have some insane RGB-lit liquid cooling system for his body

He specifically talks about how it’s a refrigerator and Sanji says it would be the best on a hot day. Verdict: those are definitely ice cold colas.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Does One Piece cola still have cocaine

Well remember that was the “coca” in Coca-Cola. Frankly just buys like the generic supermarket brand cola.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like East Blue through Alsbasta is a really good barometer for how Oda viewed the entire concept of “power levels” and how he would probably have changed the story if he had known the full scope all along.

Luffy basically doesn’t meaningfully increase in strength at all until Enies Lobby, until then he is always a physical beast and his challenges are more about getting outwitted or having to fight a battle with unfamiliar rules with him using clever new tricks with his power to win rather than just “I am just stronger through more magical training, you need to level up through more willpower”

Not that I necessarily think the sheer scope of power would be reduced or haki would go away but it likely would’ve been introduced way sooner and the limited training stuff we saw would’ve happened more organically, I even think logias might have been reworked with that power scope in mind

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I got the tude now posted:

I feel like it works out well enough. There’s some things, esp luffy beating crocodile that i don’t think add up for the reasons stated but it’s a story, there’s always going to be weak parts

Oh I definitely think it works out well enough and Oda is a genius at adaptation. I just think the original intention with Luffy starting out as basically the strongest person in East Blue and never needing to get physically stronger even up to where the original “end boss” would have been illustrates a very specific philosophy. Compare to like Naruto or MHA where there’s very obviously a “train to level up” mentality, if OP had been condensed and ended with Alabasta the obvious struggles/themes would be about Luffy 1) supplementing his own weaknesses with his crew and 2) being super inventive with his existing strength and powers. Like that clearly is still what’s happening with a theme added a few hundred chapters in of 3) learning and mastering haki to push those first two aspects to a new level.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is a non-lovely version coming today?

said all series were in progress as of 4 hours ago

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

derra posted:

As a Fishman Island enjoyer, I hope that Luffy doesn't just crush Lucci because if he does there will be a significant amount of people who will complain that the fight was too easy.

I didn't have this specific complaint about FI but I assume that there it is about how Hody is the main villain of the arc and is using super cocaine power and also fighting under water for a portion of it and he still is a push-over and doesn't really give Luffy an excuse to flex his off-screen training arc strength.

I don't think that will be as much of an issue here as Lucci's power is a known factor and he isn't being built up as the "end boss" for this specific arc. Also he's running into Luffy like 3 chapters into the arc anyway, and these days people seem to be in favor of smaller bite-sized arcs (Zou getting a ton of praise) so Luffy clowning on Lucci and the crew making a quick escape with Vega Punk will probably be a welcome change.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bleck posted:

Senor Pink is fine. :unsmith:

absolutely love Franky being like “this
guy is my brother in Christ, please tell me he’s not dead” and being given the good news

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Wellwinds posted:

Someone upthread theorized that the downside might be that he can get too cartoonishly chaotic and the collateral damage of that could result in something like fulfilling the fishman island prophecy

"whoops I turned this place into a cuphead level" would be a funny drawback

Even moreso it seems like he becomes overly silly and committed to the bit, like he will take damage he could have avoided just to do some kind of cartoonish mugging for the camera. The main tension with this most recent fight was that he could have realistically just overwhelmed Lucci nearly immediately and shut down the threat, but because he was doing the dodging bit and playing with his food Sentomaru got hurt and things basically flipped on their head in regards to the Seraphim.

Previously one of Luffy's core strengths was how intense and hyper focused he could get, particularly about protecting his friends and shutting down the people that might or have hurt them. This Luffy takes on an entirely different personality where it seems like he can't even really get all that mad or take a situation seriously. I feel like that is going to come into play in a big way eventually

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Merry Miss Merry Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MorningMoon posted:

It's gotta be Kuma. His whole bit of escaping his friends a few chapters ago chronologically starting just now when Vegapunk made the call. "Of course. I've always been prepared for this order."

i suppose the bits we’ve seen could be a flashback to several days/weeks ago as a twist but I find it hard to believe he goes from a mute robot to answering so eloquently that quick. It would also be weird for VP to hide him from Bonnie and lie to her about him not being able to be fixed. (maybe there is an added twist and the ones we’ve seen have always been robots, and VP’s answer meant “I can’t fix him because I never actually made him a robot”)