Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One Piece rules, can't believe I'm finally going to get to see the end of it.... 5-10 years from now :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Can never get over the googly eyes on "Big Mom"'s "homies" :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sub Harrison posted:

2012: The triple log pose was introduced, but was never successfully used to reach an island.

I love that Smoker went to the worst possible island because he figured that this was where Luffy would go... and he was right! It's just that Luffy managed to find an even worserer island first!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I recall correctly, it's made pretty explicit during the WCI fight that Katakuri grasps that if he cant stop Luffy there, Luffy is going to only to get stronger in the future. When Luffy does beat him, he asks if Luffy plans to eventually topple Big Mom and Luffy agrees he does, and Katakuri actually seems pleased. He loves and cares for his family but I think he's pretty eyes open about his own mother being a pretty terrible person.

I loved the Katakuri fight but I don't have any hopes or expectations for them to do it again, because I think it's pretty clearly laid out that once Luffy beat him, he had surpassed him and was only going to get more powerful (as demonstrated by him going one-on-one with Kaido even before Gear 5, and arguably he might have even beaten him if CP0 hadn't gotten involved).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The reveal of Katakuri - the man who never lays down and barely tolerates the fact he has to eat to keep his energy up - chilling on his back singing a happy little song about donuts is just an incredible reveal in the midst of an epic fight :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bisse posted:

Kaido took a whole lot of beatings from Gear 5 and still needed a punch big enough to smash Onigashima to be knocked out. When CP0 got involved Luffy said he had only one punch left and Kaido was full of energy going berserk. I think the chances of Luffy winning in that instant was close to zero - ironically without CP0's attempt at interference, Kaido might still be ruling Wano.

I think what both that moment and the eventual Gear 5 victory have in common is that Kaido indicated in both that he wasn't bothering to defend himself anymore, he just wanted to exchange the heaviest hit he could with the first person in an age (other than Big Mom, who he had a long history with) who had been able to stand up to him physically AND hurt him. That's part of what enraged him so much about the interference, he wanted to see if Luffy or he were stronger in a fair fight, something he'd been longing for at this point for years if not decades (the last to truly hurt him was Oden, as far as we know?) in just a straight up punch exchange and it got taken away from him.

This being a comic, of course the answer is that eventually Luffy was going to win, no matter how exhausted he might be and how much more energetic the unstoppable bad guy is. That's kind of the story of Wano, Kaido keeps obliterating Luffy in straight-up fights but Luffy keeps on coming back and getting stronger and doing more damage to Kaido, and nothing seems to stop him for long or put a dent in Luffy's spirit/determination to beat Kaido. If Kaido had won the punch exchange and put Luffy down, Luffy would be back up again at some point and going straight for him again, the only thing that would stop him is killing him (filler arc where he goes to hell and beats up demons to escape!)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 23, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Biggest con I'd say is to have your lifespan taxed so Big Mom can make a loving talking teacup

Also she might get a sudden hankering for some highly specific food and end up eating you and/or your family alive in the 12 minutes it takes her emergency chefs to throw together something to satisfy her craving.

Edit: Why look at that, there was a whole other page of posts here in this thread! :doh:

rannum posted:

I got the vibe Big Mom's children help keep the peace/assistance. They're pretty well regarded by the people and presumably meant to be the ones who try to handle problems (like Big Mom) when they arise. And also rebuild your food houses.

I actually dug that Oven (I think), who is shown to be an absolute hothead - no pun intended - made a point when he told everybody to shatter their mirrors that if they had an emotional/historic connection to those mirrors and couldn't stand to destroy them, then it was okay to just drop them into the ocean for now and come back and collect them later. That was actually... thoughtful!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 25, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What an absolutely incredible chapter, just beautiful from start to finish, felt like every panel was the best.

Sanji being utterly despondent in spite of the fact he now has a billion+ bounty :allears:

Bleck posted:

Probably worth noting that, other than Luffy, Robin has the largest bounty increase in the crew.

:actually: Chopper's went up 10 fold!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

God, what a great chapter. lol that firing Mihawk was literally the worst thing the Navy could have done. Did I miss Perona, or was she not in this chapter?

Oh my God if Perona and Buggy start interacting :vince:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

She bounced to go see Moria a hundred or two chapters ago

I assumed she came running back in crying and hugged Mihawk, saying his touching goodbye truly reached her and she decided to stay, all while he stood completely still, face impassive as he explained repeatedly that he would prefer she leave, which she either ignored or pouted about but then dismissed. You can't prove it didn't happen!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

Apoo can't really do much to someone with no ears.

I was already sad that we didn't get a Brook/Apoo fight in Wano, but now I'm mad because the ridiculous circuitous path we would have gone through to have Brook double over in pain from Apoo's attacks only to go,"But of course.... I don't have any ears! :yohoho:" and then slash him would have been amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eiba posted:

No one really guessed that Robin and Robin alone would be getting such a proportionally huge change in her bounty.

Stressing once again that Chopper's bounty rose 10fold!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bleck posted:

I've often heard this but also never seen a source.

It came up in the SBS, here's the panel:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh no Crocodile fought Doflamingo off twice.

Yeah, when Doflamingo cuts off his head he's not even remotely bothered, and Doffy seems to have basically expected that. He's also EXTREMELY keen to want to form an alliance with Croc who shows no interest in it at all. I wonder if they ever had any encounters as Shichibukai given it was apparently near impossible to ever get more than a couple of them to agree to come when called, and our first look at Doflamingo is I believe only after Croc has been sent to Impel Down and stripped of his rank.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Luffy was able to beat Croc for the same reason he wasn't burned by the attack from Kaido and Big Mom during Wano: Guts!

Gyges posted:

It is interesting to think about whether Croc ripped off Mingo's villainous machinations, Mingo ripped off Croc, or they just both came up with very similar flights of world domination fancy.

Maybe they were both emulating Kaido who took over Wano?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Crocodile to be fair did not actually care about taking over Alabasta, he just wanted to find Pluton.

And I just realized as I was typing this that Crocodile might be the guy Caribou wants to get in contact with about the Ancient Weapons.

Caribou: Good news, Kaidou isn't around to stop you going for Pluton anymore!
Crocodile: Great! Who is?
Caribou: Some guy with the exact same powers as Kaidou, a gigantic army, powerful retainers whose loyalty is unshakeable, and Kaidou's own son who is on a level of strength with the samurai who was on Gol D. Roger's crew.... oh also the guy with the same powers as Kaidou is the son of that samurai! Also he can talk to all animals and has a titanic elephant the size of a mountain who is utterly loyal to him as well! Plus Pluton is underwater! Oh yeah and the guy who defeated Kaidou in a one-on-one fight and also defeated you when he was much weaker made a vow to come to the new ruler's defense in a heartbeat if he was threatened!
Crocodile: :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Coby takes Hancock to Impel Down after telling her he keeps his collection of newspaper clippings on Luffy there.

Later on that day, Coby and Hancock leave Impel Down together, because he was telling her the truth and genuinely just wanted to show off the collection so they could see if either could fill gaps in the other's collection.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eiba posted:

I need to join your crew to help you track down and stop the most dangerous person in the world: Buggy the Clown!"

Luffy: .....who?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Given these facts, it’s pretty obvious that Croc had a nose job that went horribly wrong, but gave him that cool scar. Croc is embarrassed so he tells people a cool story about getting it while fighting Whitebeard, but Iva was one of the nurses so he knows the truth. Croc later got it fixed by better doctors but he’s still ashamed.

Croc's original nose looked like a red ball, the kind a clown of the sea might have..... :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The secret is that Croc was born with one of those bananas on his head like the Gators in Arabasta had, and is really self-conscious about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

The most important character in One Piece

I'm gonna tell my kids that's Im.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The cover page showing Katakuri and Oven duking it out, each hallucinating the other as an enemy was also extremely cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

This seems like a ridiculous thing to do now and not in 5-7 years

Check out my limited edition copy of 3/4ths of One Piece

Yeah, in 7 years you could say,"Check out my 5/7ths of One Piece!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

blizzardvizard posted:

I miss pre-timeskip Franky's look

I'm not as down on his current look at some, but his pre-timeskip look really was just excellent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ThingOne posted:

lmao at Blackbeard having a big moment with Hancock and there's just this enormous poster of Luffy in the background.

Love that earlier in the chapter, Hancock suddenly strikes on a brilliant plan to deal with the situation the island is in... she'll marry Luffy! Only to be yelled at that this is ALWAYS her plan in every situation :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If, once the series finishes sometime in the next 10-15 years, they decide to keep churning out movies where Luffy and the crew get to wear some cool new outfits and have an adventure with a whole bunch of cameos, some brawling, ending with Luffy punching some rear end in a top hat rich dude before credits roll on a cool song featuring scenes of where everybody who was in the movie went to next.... well hell, I'm down.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

blizzardvizard posted:

She wasn't even hitting Black Maria with it, she was using it to hit the ceiling.

I also agree that Oda is underutilizing Robin's power honestly, I feel like he was more creative with it pre-timeskip.

I absolutely love that moment in Skypeia where she's been getting smacked around and chased by the fat commander, who thinks she is scared of him... till they finally reach a point where she is satisfied she can avoid damaging the archeological finds she has made, and proceeds to utterly annihilate him.

So loving cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bobjr posted:

It would be funny if Buggy just nullified Shank’s haki without trying because he has no fear of him, only annoyance.

Luffy arguing with Whitebeard and Buggy arguing with Shanks at Marineford while everybody else went :eyepop: was good loving times :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tree Reformat posted:

can't wait for the battle with luffy that reveals stole the slow-slow power

Pre-becoming an Emperor, I can actually legitimately see Blackbeard accepting a Davey Back Fight challenge from Foxy that later cuts back to Blackbeard and his crew sitting on a deserted island cackling because they hosed up and lost their ship.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Incredible chapter.

Loved everybody yelling at Zoro and he's utterly indifferent till Sanji speaks up, at which point war were declared.

Also, Robin telling Luffy she has a whole bunch of further information on other big names in the One Piece world and asking if he'd like to hear them, and Luffy just going,"Nah I'm good" was the best :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have no idea how even gear five Luffy is meant to stop that.

He'll punch it :hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Do you think Robin keeps sewing cute clothes for him while they sail from island to island

I know she has a (at least one) set of arms constantly doing that back on the Sunny, even while she's having adventures with the others/doing her archeology stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That chapter :supaburn::hf::derp:

Gyges posted:

Thank god Oda didn't leave us hanging, and finally solved the most important mystery of One Piece. Chopper's hat is safe.

That was the best :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

anime was right posted:

this is still one of the greatest pages in all of one piece

The superimposed :thumbsup: is utter genius :allears:

Incredible :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Agreed that this arc seems like it'll be designed to showcase Franky a bit more, which is well overdue.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If Vegapunk ends up being one of the good guys, then they'll be a huge admirer of Dr. Chopper, the brilliant doctor who is a reindeer that ate the human-human fruit.

If Vegapunk ends up being one of the bad guys, they'll be most scared of Dr. Chopper, and will have carefully researched a perfect weapon designed to immediately incapacitate or kill.... a Tanuki.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

What about if no sense of right and wrong

Posting this again for you because it's too great not to!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God, One Piece is so loving good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Endorph posted:

funfact its a cover of bad reputation by avril lavigne and its in the movie because lavigne is a one piece fan and sent a letter to oda

That's loving amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Terper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42zSqdOl3s

Alabasta trailer for the new OP game

Hey this looks pretty good and okay and I'm generally feeling pretty positive about it and "IT'S MERRY!" oh my God give me this game :cry: