Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Gear 4 is cool because you’re excited for another exciting anime powerup, and then it’s that, even Doflamingo loses it and just laughs, and suddenly he blinked and he’s 4km away on the other side of town buried deep into a building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

(as demonstrated by him going one-on-one with Kaido even before Gear 5, and arguably he might have even beaten him if CP0 hadn't gotten involved).
Kaido took a whole lot of beatings from Gear 5 and still needed a punch big enough to smash Onigashima to be knocked out. When CP0 got involved Luffy said he had only one punch left and Kaido was full of energy going berserk. I think the chances of Luffy winning in that instant was close to zero - ironically without CP0's attempt at interference, Kaido might still be ruling Wano.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Emptee Bluffs Island :allears:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Scholtz posted:

I hope we get to see Perona negative-ize Blackbeard
One of his twin fetuses will absorb the negativity, leaving Parasitic Blackbeard unaffected.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Found this on reddit:

Pretty cool if true. Remember "16 holy bullets"! Looks like Pluton might be a upside/down hat shaped ship designed to catch Uranus?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Sabos reaction shot is so good, Sabo in danger and terrified is Good Sabo

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

”To get decapitated by a guillotine! That’s what I want… at the end of my dream…”

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I mean the movie's got Blueno, Kalifa, Katakuri, Shanks, Franky cosplaying as Soundwave, Elvis Jinbei, Gene Simmons Usopp.

It's like the greatest hits of all cool things a one piece movie could be. Of course it made all the money.

Well Stampede was also that but it was also kind of a dumb and bad movie, I haven’t seen Red yet but by all accounts it’s an actual good and comptetent movie on top of all the other stuff.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I saw part of the spoilers and you probably want to stay away from twitter and any other spoiler source until friday.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Can't wait for the translation to drop, there are a whole bunch of things I want to talk about from this chapter.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Its apparently a lot clearer in the japanese, but Vegapunk is speaking with the accent of an old man. So this is very likely to be either The Vegapunk doing some serious surgery, his brain in a new body, or a clone of him with the same mind but different body.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Or 02 is just a random number that Oda thought cool

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

*the sound of :10bux: flying away into the sunset*

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

One of oda's best qualities as a world builder is patience. Like with a lot of things, I think he's got Blackbeard basically fully planned out since he was introduced, and managed to keep it under lid for 20 years, showing only enough details to get people excited about the mystery but not put the pieces together.

The Sun God Nika reveal was an example of that, although Who's Who's infodump felt a bit out of place, there were enough pieces by the end stretching back all the way to Skypeia that at least one person was able to put the pieces together to figure everything out except for the exact name of Luffy's fruit, but for everyone else to just wonder in mystery and enjoy the ride.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

The art also became more rough, almost sketch like in a lot of panels.

This is good tho imo, the art conveys flow and emotion a lot better now and feels more natural.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Scallop Eyes posted:

This is the big reason I believe. The newer editors are probably too scared/don't want to tell Oda to change things (agravated by them probably being fans of the series before they got to edit it), leading to a Star Wars prequel situation where Oda crams in every idea he has, without anyone to say no to him.
Unlike with Lucas, basically all of Oda's ideas are good as is though, so while some fat trimming wouldn't hurt, it's just a matter of pacing rather than quality.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Can't wait for the showdown between the two warlords, Buggy the Genious Jester and Foxy the Silver Fox.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

ThingOne posted:

Why would you make a hologram that can feel pain?
Why would you *waves frantically at everything Vegapunk has ever done*

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

AtomikKrab posted:

Not really evil, but not really moral
"I'm not racist evil, but-"

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

ooooh gently caress will we see awakened kaku?
half man half pasta machine?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

skipmyseashells posted:

spoilers were probably the most craziest of the year so avoid that until Friday
wow ok. And 2022 is the same year as Luffy dying and Gear 5, right? Just confirming how hard I need to hit the twitter sign of button.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Oh ah yes it's the craziest, most shocking, unbelievable spoiler I've ever seen: Warlord Buggy, leader of the Cross Guild

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

ragnarokette posted:

Who was that one artist who would always draw women in ridiculous contortions if you did anything more than glance at them? [/spoiler]
Was that Boichi from Dr Stone maybe?

Also super excited to meet a Daft Punk next chapter

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

hatty posted:

Never cared too much about Bonney but her and Luffy bonding over food made me like her a lot
Idk personally the zoom in on her rear end was the thing that made me realize wow this is a person with feelings and a story to tell

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Brandfarlig posted:

Yeah you're right TTGL episode 4 sucked.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Awesome chapter, but how does one body pooping make the other bodies relieved? can they remotely share poop? Wireless poop transfer? This is important.

I haven't read the chapter yet and just accidentally saw this spoiler and wow now I am highly intrigued by the contents of this chapter.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The takeaway I got from Senor Pink was not to judge a book by its cover. Seeing this big baby dressed guy you assume his heroic acts of saving damsels from missiles and rescuing cats are just some Looney Tunes comedy skit, same with his strong sense of honor and pride standing still to let his opponent hit him since that's what they agreed to. By the time his backstory is over it hits you with a sledgehammer that this is a real person, with real character and motivations, his actions were pure and heroic, and it was you, the reader, who didn't believe in him just because of his looks. I think he's one of Oda's best written characters, with a short, pure and to-the-point character arc that teaches the reader a valuable unforgettable life lesson.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

or is he just super tough thanks to push-ups, sit-ups, and plenty of juice?
It's this.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Newbie: What are those transponder snails people use to talk to each other line phones?
Hardened OP veteran: They’re… they’re phone snails.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

It wouldn't be surprising to me actually. Best real life example is how long it took to figure out that eating a lemon (C Vitamin) cures scurvy. How hard can it be?? Did noone ever eat a lemon at sea? Well:
- People did eat lemons but still got scurvy. You need a certain amount of it. And who's to say it was the lemon Vinnie ate that cured his scurvy which I never saw happen because it was cured before it happened? Ronnie at lemons and got scurvy! Maybe it was the salted beef!
- It took about a hundred years for anyone to make a clear connection. A doctor started researching and found a clear connection with fresh fruit curing scurvy. However! Complications:
- You can't just bring lemons on board, you have to store it. Lemons rot fast so it would be stored as lemon juice. But copper containers which were common would destroy the vitamin C but otherwise leave the juice intact! So there were lots of ships sailing around with lemon juice and getting scurvy and people didn't believe in the cure.
- Even with proper storage, the juice quality deteriorates over time. At the end of a voyage when scurvy symptoms start to show, the vitamin could be mostly gone from the juice.
- Even the people who did believe had a hard time spreading it. Before radio/TV it was hard to spread information. Plus there are other info on fake cures and conspiracy theories and 'I tried lemon but sure didn't work for me!' etc muddying up the waters.

It took 300 years, until the discovery of vitamins in 1928, for the cure for scurvy to be definitely proven to work. Even though all you had to do was eat a loving lemon.

So what could be muddying up the waters with devil fruits behaviour?
- Testability. You have to have eaten a devil fruit to even be able to test it once. And you have to die. You have to die! YOU HAVE TO DIE! To test the theory, someone has to die! Probably in 99% of cases the user won't happily lie down under the specific pink dragonfruit tree to help you test the theory.
- Unclear test results. Ceasar had a bucket of fruits so maybe the process is imprecise. The transformation was subtle so you could potentially miss the fruit.
- You have to match the exactly right DF to the exactly right fruit or you'll get wrong results.
- Confidentiality. Probably those with enough resources to perform controlled tests are experimenting for their own purposes or under government contract, and won't or can't share their findings.
- Myths, hearsay, etc and the only source of worldwide information is a newspaper which is government controlled to some extent.

Most people live in like east blue and have never even seen a devil fruit or a DF user. So altogether I find it fully believable that most DF facts are still myths and mystery.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 23, 2022

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

I think when A Big Long Piece Of Media makes public moves towards a conclusion, it draws in all the people who were like "Well, I'll maybe pick it up when it's over."

Same thing happened for the latest FFXIV expansion.
With that logic Naruto and Bleach should have reached legendary fame when they entered the worldwide ninja war / yhwach poo poo but hehe nop. There are some factors like this but overall One Piece is just generally sticking the landing, paying off on years of mystery and world building, and is just generally loving good.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Wow Oda seems to have learned some pacing lessons from Wano, this is moving super fast with essentially zero bloat.

Not completely sold on the delivery or explanation of the devil fruit mystery. I like that it's some Berserk build-your-own-misery kind of metaphysical thing, but the delivery is just Vegapunk randomly mentioning it, and the explanation for the ocean-sinking drawback feels tacked on and makes no sense at all to me. It's not a bad explanation or anything I just wish it had been a different explanation and that it had had a bit more buildup I guess.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

What vegapunk gave us now on Devil Fruits is as much of an explaination for them as "Water bubbles when its hot!" is for boiling water. We still don't know 'why/how' for devil fruits, just 'what'.

Also this leaves as a bigger question mark than before why eating two DFs kill you.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ever Disappointing posted:

Which is still a thing that's never happened in the series. In fact, the only person who has eaten two devil fruits is alive!
You know it would be loving hilarious if under that blanket with Whitebeard,
- Blackbeard actually just ate a second fruit and it was actually just fine
- or He just fanboyed really really hard about Whitebeard and really wanted to be like him and poof! wish granted

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Can’t wait to see Buggy save the Strawhats from their own imaginary circus tents with his haki

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

It's going to be, some Dude is coming for Buggy's life and defeats everyone around him, Buggy begs for his life as Blackbeard/Shanks whatever appears coming to collect an even worse debt and knocks the Dude out with a flick of the wrist, gives Buggy a week to deliver or die and walks away, as his crew wakes up they find Buggy next to knocked out Dude and Wow!!! He knocked everyone out with his massive conqueror's haki!!!! And he's crying because he had no choice but to K.O. his whole crew in order to save their life!!! Is there anyone in the world who can stand up to this man???!?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yes, Lucci’s ”Hah making your fist bigger won’t make it heavier or hit harder” was prophetic

Oh and also, WG hiding the fruit and erasing Nika from history makes even more sense now, since it could actually be the only way to erase the fruit

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Marluxia posted:

Odyssey trailer: Luffy saving Ace in this memory of Marineford would be incredibly weird and yet from that trailer, I could see the strawhats managing it. I don't know what to think about that.

I guess it would be immediately followed by Note: Ace died on the way to his home planet

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

NILBOG IS GO-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

After meeting Dio, Aikanu is obsessed with killing the 36 most evil pirates in a specific ritual so he can Reach Heaven.