Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Eggplant Squire posted:

The moment was lost on me since he then immediately brutalized the cooks that made said donuts for accidentally seeing it.
I mean that's why it works to develop his character and isnt just a gag. It shows very effectively why he is at that point in time a villain. Donuts is such a good/funny/memorable scene because it's the moment he finally gets fully developed while also being a total shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Blessed chapter. The next five years going to be so so good.

EDIT:
As someone who's crazy about Impel down I love that the entire breakout crew is in this chapter and is important to the story. This is my age!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 26, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think the idea of that scene was that robokuma is still braindead.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This is exactly what I thought was being communicated when green bull showed up and momo frantically tried to solo him.

BB's crew seems too ragged to actually use the mero mero so it seems weird for him to go after it this hard. Surely making friends with hancock would be an easier option.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

When was their identicity established? They shoot lasers out of their mouth and were full rear end robots when zoro cut into one. Kuma even shows up at the end of saobody and makes the difference clear.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

I feel like I havent seen anyone talk about this at all, which is making me think im wrong.

I was under the impression that the Kuja throne went Gloriosa -> Unnamed Empress Dead from Lovesickness -> Unnamed Empress Dead From Lovesickness -> Boa

But now we find out Shakky was Empress after Gloriosa? Shouldnt she be dead? Did she run off in secret with Rayleigh? This also kills my theory that Rayleigh was the man Gloriosa ran away for, although I was literally only basing that on Glorisoa telling Boa not to pinch Rayleighs nose

It's certainly looking like Rayleigh and Shakky are a couple. But I'm not brushed up on this side of OP lore.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Julias posted:

It really feels like oda's editors saw all the complaints about the last chapter of wano online, told oda as he was working on this chapter, and he decided to cram them into this chapter at the beginning. It would both explain why the Amazon lily scene feels particularly condensed, and why these bits weren't in wano proper and after the bounty reveal chapter. It's basically Oda doing damage control. Which, I appreciate. It would have been better for these scenes to be in wano itself, but it's definitely a case of better late than never, especially in salvaging Yamato's character arc a little bit.
That's not enough time. Yamato only made staying official 3 weeks ago.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think my version was missing a page, it skips the part where luffy says what his dream is.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's possible that Im's powers will actually make people forget that the kingdom existed. This is shown as possible with sugar's power and it increases the significance of the poneglyphs being carved on rock.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

In any case bringing up Ace is not how I'd put Luffy's mind at ease...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's Bon Clay's final sacrifice...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This man loves drawing breasts!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 22, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I hope vegapunk gives franky giant breasts

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ubiquitus posted:

Look at this horrible hot take. Symbolism is important
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but "whips" is a good thing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I have strong preferences between pre and post TS op but actually drawing the series on a weekly schedule for 25 years is completely crazy. I can't think of anyone who has worked this hard at anything for this long and it's something where he's held accountable by millions of people for every decision he makes. Even if I like some older chapters the most the whole thing is just kind of increasingly impressive as it goes on.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think the pacifista went down a liiiittle too easily... could have wrung a little more suspense out before showing us how much everyone powered up.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

I do sometimes think the power gap between pre- and post- timeskip characters is a little too large; it makes characters like Lucci, Crocodile, and most of the Vice Admirals feel unimportant in the grand scheme of things to a slightly jarring degree. At the very least there should be fewer Vice Admirals, or maybe explicit sub-ranks for them along the lines of the old Royal Navy's Vice-Admirals of the Red, White, and Blue in real life.

Edit: How are there are over 20 named Vice Admirals and only 7 named Rear Admirals (5 of which are so minor I would be surprised if anyone in this thread remembers them without looking them up)?
The power gap between pre and post TS is imo not really that big a deal outside of the pacifista thing. And weirdly enough we're coming to the end of post-TS and one of the big threats is... stronger pacifistas.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

IIrC Oda has said that skypeia (not my favorite arc btw) was supposed to be a fractal of the whole story. And he was the chosen one vs enel due to rubber v lightning.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I see fishman island, skypeia, a rectangle with a tree, the sun pirates, shart teeth (? katakuri?), and either wano or whitebeard's mustache. Idk about that tree and that rectangle.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Amazing chapter. You're Vegapunk! I've heard of that name! We've seen that gag before but it was so funny this time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I like the theory that Bonney is a charlotte and kuma wiped his brain to forget about sex with big mom

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kaku's old outfit was so perfect... his mask is a nice gag at least.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

canon.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 7, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

A fun guy like Kaku getting betrayed by the WG then fighting extra hard just to cuck for the celestial dragons again is too bad. I'm hoping they're at least a little sword aligned otherwise they're the exact same characters coming back to lose again two years (in-verse) later.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

PUDDING'S BEEN KIDNAPPED!

...how did BB even know big mom's 50th daughter was a three eyes? This guy's a genius.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There was the huge famous guy (Jean Bart) he freed from the dragons who was supposed to be his secret weapon, but he hasnt really done anything. We mostly see a lot of bepo being useless.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 14, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Law is a doctor. His fruit is the operation operation fruit. How did he cure himself and his crew? With Haki...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

rannum posted:

yeah yeah yeah law vs blackbeard whatever the real news was Jinbei in the hawaiian shirt

in my mind he's always looked like this.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Blackbeard not interested in gaining interesting abilities??????? He is the exact opposite! He searched for the most interesting fruit in the world for 50 years!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

We are absolutely going to get an explanation of how devil fruits work and what they are at some point. It is one of the central mysteries of the series. It's like saying that the ancient kingdom is better left unexplained.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nuebot posted:

But all of those things are literally just common manifestations of strong will across the entire history of anime and manga. You've always had characters without any super natural power just being like "I detect a strong killing presence from over there" or being just so darn strong and powerful in their resolve that normal humans wilt away in shame. Haki is genuinely just putting a name to a bundle of classic tropes that show up in almost any shonen series :psyduck:
The shonen trope of covering yourself in black armor via willpower... the shonen trope of seeing twenty seconds into the future via willpower...

"observation willpower"

No Wave fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 17, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Lpzie posted:

This might be the first time we see Haki doing this? I've always imagined, from what we've been told, it could prevent an effect but didn't consider it could be used to shake off an effect. Just never crossed my mind. This is probably where a lot of us in this thread are coming from. Has a lot of implications now that we know it works like this though, especially with the darkness fruit.
I think Law tells kid he can't room BM and Kaido necsuse excessive haki. In reality it will probably render the character immune to only completely unfair effects. The same way nen in HxH gets powerful when characters do dramatic and interesting stuff, haki will kick in to make fights and characters immune to op BS fruits.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point that Haki isn't a thing you do it's a thing you get for being crazy famous. Like, if you look at all of the biggest Haki users in the story they're all crazy famous and Luffy develops Haki almost immediately after breaking out of the hardest prison in the world and directly attacking the marines at the head of the largest pirate army of all time.

One of the best parts of this fan theory is that it would mean that Buggy has crazy good Haki, he just has literally no idea how to use it or that it exists in the first place.
Fame is one of the closest proxies for Haki, absolutely. I think it primarily scales with your level of importance in the world along with an acceptance of your responsibilities and willingness to change the world. It's not as simple as "wanting it" because you're left thinking the scholars of ohara just didnt want it enough.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The first time Zoro fought mihawk he didnt have willpower. But now his willpower is overflowing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Haki is just willpower, except when it isnt. But it's still just willpower.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The setting of one piece is basically calvinball. it's best not to think about the details.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tree Reformat posted:

Boy you guys would hate Genshin Impact, a setting where sufficient Ambition and Willpower gets you gifted an elemental superpower set by the gods.
I think Genshin's system is much more random and the arbitrariness is/will be an active plot point (there are characters whose ambitions are held back by their lack of a vision, and complete bums who have visions). In OP that doesnt really happen as much, people with big enough dreams putting them into practice tend to get there.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gruckles posted:

Haki is Spiral Power.
Basically correct, probably most succinct possible way of putting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's not really fanservice, it's just what oda loves and seems to be even more enthusiastic about recently. He certainly knows he doesnt need to do it to stay popular.