Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Eimi posted:

My thoughts are that the 'fight' is just for show. After all think back to what she said in the Final Feast. "A good actor hones their craft to mesmerize the whole crowd." There's one final act in their drama. She wants to free the House from the control of the Fatui and the only way to do that is to fake her death against one of the few entities who could possibly kill her, the Traveler, and to place the House under the control of an entity the Fatui would be remiss to cross, Neuvillette.

Yeah, I figured something like this too. Now the prophecy has been dealt with hasn't she basically lost her reason to care about being in the Fatui? Or am I imagining that having the resources to avert the prophecy was basically her reason for signing up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
lol rumors for the new 4.7 Abyss:

You can borrow one character from a friend
Only Pyro, Electro, and Anemo characters can participate

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tampa Bae posted:

That's such massively bad design.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

free xiangling, free lynette, borrow a C6 hu tao/arlecchino, free barbara.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I have bad things to tell you about Barbara's element.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*free lisa with prototype amber and nothing but er stats

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I hate team building restrictions. Elemental shields are my least favorite mechanic in this entire game and it's a new game mode around even worse elemental shields. It's awful.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Thank you new abyss for freeing me from the shackles of doubt. I know now, the true path, my true purpose, my true destiny: just pull for every unit. Except burst transformers lol

But yeah this new abyss seems pretty whatever in the challenge sense. If you're an established player you pick between hyper Raiden/Raifish and mono Pyro, then the other side is whatever Chevy team you like best. If you're not an established player you go hunting whales. I'm sure some of the folks in the thread can oblige.

Not me tho. The highest 5 star constellation I got is C1, and that happened on accident :(

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
I'm already a collector that pulls for almost every unit, but even then this new mode is... dubious. Not sure how I feel about such artificial restrictions on teambuilding in a game that's all about pulling for characters to create new interesting teams.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

I hate team building restrictions. Elemental shields are my least favorite mechanic in this entire game and it's a new game mode around even worse elemental shields. It's awful.
tbf i think this is better than elemental shields because at least its upfront instead of realizing halfway through an abyss floor that it will take you 2 minutes to kill this one guy

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Team Restrictions are basically the alternative to the 10-sided Abyss challenge that was posted as a joke/thought experiment earlier. Once a game is at the point of its life where established players have perfect teams there needs to be an incentive to use good not great characters. I'm not saying it doesn't feel bad to do it this way, but there's something there?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Special Gameplay:

You can borrow a character from a friend, but only one.

okay near as i can tell:

sayu/beidou/wanderer/chevreuse/arlecchino/clorinde are your initial characters
you have to use exactly those six
if you dont own any of them you are given trial versions of them
make a team of 4/8/12 reserve characters of only pyro/anemo/electro
if you own baizhu/siegwinne/alhaitham/wriothsley you can use them despite their elements (???)
the reserve team is only available via events (??????)
you can borrow One friend character

questions i have:

can you borrow a friend's baizhu/sieg/alhaitham/wriothsley
can you borrow a friend's sayu/beidou/wanderer/chevreuse/arle/clorinde
i have no idea what they mean with the reserve team events thing

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I like the idea of an abyss that features some team restrictions, but I also have a deep and fairly decently built roster.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Yeag the teambuilding restrictions have pretty much always been there, even back in 1.0 where you needed to bring a level 20 Amber to shoot down cryo fatui shields.

I think I kinda like these sorts of arbitrary restrictions. It makes you look at units and strategies you normally pass over because they look too far from optimal and sometimes you discover some pretty neat stuff. Like for a long time I had Yanfei as a level 70/80 "just for fun" overworld unit but after this 10 abyss teams thing we just did I've earmarked ~1 week's worth of resources to try and get her to 90/90 (exp books are free). Like I knew "academically"(lmao) that Shieldfei was decent but now it's a thing I'm gonna have and use for real probably.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
New abyss format has been leaked for 4.7 and it is zany. You can use ANY pyro/electro/cryo character alongside six required electro/pyro/anemo characters (sayu, beidou, chlorinde, chevreuse, arlecchino, wanderer) who have trial versions available. Then there's a bonus pool of non-pyro non-electro non-anemo characters you can only use if you own them. This bonus pool is extremely powerful in this context (baizhu, al haitham, Sigewinne, Wriothesley) due to enabling hyperbloom and aggravate, well ok not wriothesley but at least he can melt with BX.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 23, 2024

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'm going to wait until we have more definitive details before deciding

But, the current leaks are not appealing to me. It would significantly lower my enjoyment of the abyss (which is a feat in and of itself, as it is currently rote annihilation)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
team-building restrictions in a contextless vacuum aren't bad game design but people are right to be annoyed when the same game simultaneously has Genshin's artifact grind and then also goes around arbitrarily excluding your best characters. the problem is the mixed messages / incentives rather than the concept itself

if you wanted there to be a relatively attainable flat power cap for characters, you should have just made a relatively attainable flat power cap for characters in the first place

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The hardest difficulty requires using 18 different characters. The easiest requires 10 and almost certainly the eight free characters + the trials will always be a large enough roster to do that one.

This is like a fantasy format for me that exactly rewards the way I play the game (day 1 player who rolls and builds almost every character at C0 and overbuilds ER). But it's rough for almost every other type of player.

Pulling Sigewinne is the ONLY way to use hydro in this thing which is pretty lol.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 23, 2024

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The fact that you get new 5* to use regardless of pulling them makes it a good mode imo, though it does suck in cases where they don't fit the theme. Like having some high difficulty Sigewinne gameplay would be interesting if that actually makes pulling more appealing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excelzior posted:

I'm going to wait until we have more definitive details before deciding

But, the current leaks are not appealing to me. It would significantly lower my enjoyment of the abyss (which is a feat in and of itself, as it is currently rote annihilation)
to be clear, this isnt replacing the old abyss. it is a new endgame mode. sort of like how memory of chaos and pure fiction both exist in star rail.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

to be clear, this isnt replacing the old abyss. it is a new endgame mode. sort of like how memory of chaos and pure fiction both exist in star rail.

ooh well that's already a plus then!

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Clorinde seems interesting. She's a skill-transform NA onfielder that uses BoL as a resource meter like Arle. But unlike Arle she wants to have a healer, since instead of doing nothing, outside healing gives her additional BoL. Also her tranformation + field time rhythm is pretty similar to Hu Tao (unlike Arle who is completely different). She's also got a Neuvillette-ish passive where she wants there to be multiple types of electro reactions going on but this is easy peasy.

Super preliminary team idea: Clorinde/Yelan/Kazuha/Baizhu. Waow you get a good team of you put in good characters

Sethos: Everything about him depends on what his animations and AoE look like

Sigewinne: Bluh too much to think about. Gonna need a few hours and I gotta work for real today

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

apparently siegwinne also makes water droplets that neuvilette can use (like hydro mc) so i wonder if c1 neuvilette/furina/siegwinne/kazuha monohydro is gonna be a thing

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Hey wait a minute is there even a way to set up an electro swirl for this girl? Hu Tao moment. Maybe Dehya would unironically be a better fit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Her core will imo be baizhu fischl if she has as many NA multihits as it sounds. Then kazuha. Basically the keq comp but with an onfielder whose NAs arent jacked up.

EDIT: Baizhu 20 second CD is actually not ideal, Nahida Xianyun is another option.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 23, 2024

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Epic gay moment: Quickswap Navia. If we assume you need DoT elements that will trigger from Clorinde's onfield application and that 20s will need a bit of gap filling then Navia works perfectly. You won't maximize Navia's personal damage but she will do enough and also her DoT geo is surprisingly handy (no circle, decent AoE)

Hey wait a(nother) minute. 3 stacks total.

1. Electrocharge
2. Quicken
3. Hyperbloom

We did it, reddit :geno:
Even if you specifically need other party members to be the trigger you can still just use Shinobu or whatever. Clorinde/Yelan/Nahida/Shinobu :effort:

Edit:

No Wave posted:

Her core will imo be baizhu fischl if she has as many NA multihits as it sounds. Then kazuha. Basically the keq comp but with an onfielder whose NAs arent jacked up.

I'm looking at her stacks thing some more and it kinda feels like the third one isn't really that huge of a deal. She seems pretty broadly strong, actually.

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 23, 2024

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Neuv is awesome but playing him without a shielder is way too much effort and/or painful for my tastes. 65 pulls into a guaranteed C1 before he disappeared, boooo.

Endorph posted:

Woah, somehow missed this. Are they adding primo rewards for it? Or are we talking redistribution away from previously easily attained rewards? Asking for a lazy friend.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the abyss proper now rewards 800 instead of 600. this new event gives 620. we dont have the details yet on if abyss will cycle slower or the rate at which this will cycle.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Tampa Bae posted:

I grant each of you my many, many C6 characters. Go forth and conquer in my name.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Sigewinne: this slug is hosed up bruh

At first I thought she might be some sort of enabler for the BoL set but I was completely wrong. What she actually is, is Furina's personal amp support. Which is kinda messed up, since Furina herself is a universal amp support !

She's a team-wide skill healer that also gives hp-based Shenhe quill for off-field elemental skills. Uhhh, that's it, that's the character. Goodnight everyone!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

for the non shenhe-havers what does that mean

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shenhe's quills are basically stacks of dmg bonus that trigger whenever cryo damage happens, and add damage to them. you can think of them as sort of 'ammo,' since they have a count that gets used up with each dmg bonus they give.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Endorph posted:

shenhe's quills are basically stacks of dmg bonus that trigger whenever cryo damage happens, and add damage to them. you can think of them as sort of 'ammo,' since they have a count that gets used up with each dmg bonus they give.

oh okay so kind of like that recent healer artifact set. thanks

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Note Block posted:

I grant each of you my many, many C6 characters. Go forth and conquer in my name.

No seriously everyone be my friend right now I'm very lonely on my whale throne

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

MoonCrab posted:

Sigewinne: this slug is hosed up bruh

At first I thought she might be some sort of enabler for the BoL set but I was completely wrong. What she actually is, is Furina's personal amp support. Which is kinda messed up, since Furina herself is a universal amp support !

She's a team-wide skill healer that also gives hp-based Shenhe quill for off-field elemental skills. Uhhh, that's it, that's the character. Goodnight everyone!

YAE MIKO INTENSIFIES

NAHIDA CONTEMPLATES THE PROBLEM

RAIDEN SHOGUN SHINES ETERNAL

BIG DONG ZHONG SOLIDIFIES

CHIORI TAKES THEIR MEASURE

OZ REVEALS THYSELF

KOKOMI STUDIES THE FIELD

GOUBA REALLY GETS THEM

KUKI SHINOBU WHIPS IT GOOD

BABS BELTS OUT THE TUNES

ALBEDO PAINTS BY THE NUMBERS

CHONGYUN TOUCHES SOME FROST

uhhh who else who else uhhh

DEHYA DOES SOMETHING I GUESS

USHI GETS CHUCKED...wait a minute

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I wonder how comfortable Sieg will be for Furina. Her cd is really long and she has no continuous healing, it's all one big burst. Doesn't sound like the best combo in practice. But that passive is really interesting for a variety of possible team mates.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
whoops I forgot the 4* shielders

XINYAN ROCKS OUT

DIONA STIRRS UP TROUBLE

LAYLA IS TOO TIRED FOR THIS poo poo

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Note Block posted:

No seriously everyone be my friend right now I'm very lonely on my whale throne

But if people know my ID then everyone will be able to see when I'm online :ohdear:

And be able to see my super hosed up Xiangling :ohdear: :ohdear:

Eimi posted:

I wonder how comfortable Sieg will be for Furina. Her cd is really long and she has no continuous healing, it's all one big burst. Doesn't sound like the best combo in practice. But that passive is really interesting for a variety of possible team mates.

The big heal is for Sigewinne herself. Her team heal is on her elemental skill, and it has 5 healing intervals, one per bounce. Or did I read that wrong..?

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Ok if I'm missing any other characters with off-field skills I'm sorry

Slug sounds cool, wish she was more sluggy though, and I really genuinely hope she can buff some of the weaker off-field skill characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Note Block posted:

whoops I forgot the 4* shielders

XINYAN ROCKS OUT

DIONA STIRRS UP TROUBLE

LAYLA IS TOO TIRED FOR THIS poo poo

Actually does this mean that Winnie can buff ZL's SHIELD too? Or no because the shield doesn't do damage, whereas the 4* shields actually have associated damage? I really wish I was in this beta. I HAVE PAID THE PRICE DAWEI, LET ME IN.

Note Block fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 23, 2024