Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Decided for a compromise between the two suggestions: splash removed, forest instead of mountain, Fake Your Own Death and Cactarantula are in. Will report back with results.

EDIT: Well I just beat Railway Brawler + Bristly Bill + Aven Interrupter on my kill spell because I could Snakeskin Veil my one creature, get it to 8 power with Fake Your Own Death, have it bite their sole 8/8 blocker with Thrown From The Saddle (pumping it to 9 power) and winning for exactsies lmao so that's something already

EDIT²: Beat a Bonnie Pall with Overwhelming Forces woooo

EDIT³: Congrats to this opp for Doing The Thing and also that I didn't draw a single removal spell

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Time posted:

that artifacts deck has been good in standard for a while but exceptionally hard to play. i posted it during lci when i used it to get into mythic. the construct maker part of it has made it bonkers. its vulnerable to a lot tho and can get run over with awkward hands

List me please and thank you

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

EDIT³: Congrats to this opp for Doing The Thing and also that I didn't draw a single removal spell

Their deck is very cool

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Time posted:

that artifacts deck has been good in standard for a while but exceptionally hard to play. i posted it during lci when i used it to get into mythic. the construct maker part of it has made it bonkers. its vulnerable to a lot tho and can get run over with awkward hands

True - I had a RW Imodane's Recruiter deck I was boasting about for a few weeks that likewise got turbocharged by Warleader's Call. Same thing seems to be happening here, where the artifact oblivion ring and synthesizer are turbo-charging the thing.

Few WIP brews using some of the new cards ~

Steel Religion

As close to re-animator as I'm willing to go, goal is to get a big meaty creature out with Sword of Wealth and Power and Cloudsteel Kirin equipped. Sword providing protection and also duplicating instant/sorceries is clutch for getting the right cards, and if Jin-Git is out alongside it, game is practically over. One Last Job is a nice addition that helps both those goals.

This is functionally a template deck, it really wants a playsets of Sword and Kirin, another Jin, and maybe one more One Last Job, but a man only has so many wildcards. Should probably be less greedy and run a counterspell or Get Lost, but am still getting a surprisingly ok win rate running it as I feel it out.

Jetmir's Menagerie

Another oldie that's gotten some new (mythic bleh) toys. It's a creature deck, so half the games are going to be a wall of Go For the Throat's or board wipes, but if things aren't removed soon, this goes off. Ghired does wonders with Gala Greeters, as it can clone treasure tokens that come in untapped. If you can get Jinnie and Mondrak out, things get wild fast. Oltec joins in the fun, giving teething and greeters additional triggers.

Card draw is the deck's weakness atm - has a hard time bouncing back after it's already played out it's hand. This specific build is trying to do one too many things at once, and would probably also benefit from really focusing on creature creation or artifact tokens. Still, it's a joy to pilot so far.

SHANK

One of four crime decks I'm tinkering on. The best is one that's just the Ojer Axonil LCI build but with a couple crimelords, but this has been the "let's try everything out and see what works." Well, Chandra, Dressed to Kill and Tinybones Joins Up are the clear killer cards. Both commit crimes very easily, which most cards in the deck benefit from. This deck doesn't win fast, but the Raven of Fell Omens pings are consistent and add up.

Been pleasantly surprised by Blood Hustler too - having a crime trigger on itself has proved useful enough that I don't mind keeping them in even if I get a playset of Vadmir.

Gardening

Insidious Roots/Willow Geist deck, now with Gitrog, Honest Rustein and Patient Naturalist. The later are great boons to the deck, with highly relevant ETB triggers Willow get's buff noticeably quicker. Might drop the Badlands Revival, but it does feel good playing it for two triggers on Geist.

Current favorite of this lot to play, and also does ok! Crushed by white decks running exile removal.

Calamity Ganon

TORCH HORSE! Card is absolutely busted, and gives credence to removal being so good. Deck effectively wins if you attack with while having Terror of the Peaks on the field, which happens more often than I'd have thought. People really like dropping their removal on mana dorks and this deck is packed with em'. If they don't take that bait, the other 5-drops all provide pressure and eat the removal instead.

Deck wants a few more Outcasters, and a playset of Terror, but it's working as is.

Overall, seems that with the addition of the other fast lands, 3-color mana bases for speedier decks are playing noticeably more consistently.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 21, 2024

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
G/B was clearly open, so I have a tough build

This is my first pass but I honestly have some issues I am still thinking about and I think trying to write them out will help in the process of building it (and feedback is very welcome)

I had too much removal so I paired it down to 6 pieces. I might actually put another throw from the saddle back in and cut down to one consume the ashes because I have 0 fixing. My worry is that I am still low on creatures which could make throw hard to have online when I need to clear a bomb or a blocker. It is better at fighting g/w on the draw, which this deck is going to have issues with.

I also decided I had to pick 2 pieces of recursion to keep so I went with 2x badlands revival. I am still only at 14 creatures which makes it tough to get that mourners surpise back into the deck but also have it be relevant. Maybe I cut down to 4-5 pieces of removal and go up to 15 creatures, 2 badlands revival, and 1 mourners surprise? I have had great decks with that much removal and it lets me be more robust with creatures, smooth the curve, and grind out probably anything. It just feels bad to my monkey brain to put some actual A+ removal into the sideboard in a best of 1 format.

I may also have too much self mill - the hound and desperate bloodseeker are both normally very good but this could be too much. the issue is that I am already light on 3 drops (see also the commando inclusion). Maybe I drop the second gigapede too, but that card has seriously overperformed for me. it could just be too clunky with the top end but also the deck doesnt have a ton it wants to reanimate right now if I got down to three chonky boys.

Here is a second pass with some of these concerns addressed - it doesnt seem better, just like a different deck. I dont love ankle biter but it could go a long way to helping not get run over while I get the dumb top end online. same with the bristlepack sentry. Looking at this I might be getting too cute and I should just play all the good cards.

I am not gonna run this immediately, let me know what you all think

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I definitely disagree cutting a Bloodseeker if you are keeping 2x Badlands Revival and the Surprise (which I do agree with). I would rather cut Drover Grizzly, Commando, Rooftop Assassin or an Ambusher. With 4 lifelinker 2-drops I would then also swap the Desert's Due for a second Consuming Ashes because dying to aggro is less likely - especially in this format ATM - and Desert's Due has 0 deserts to pump it. I would probably also go to 14 creatures and cut one of the above for a third Consuming Ashes.

I could also see 2x Consuming Ashes 1x Desert's Due with 14 creatures if you think you need the 2MV spell I guess. I don't think I would play 15 creatures with that many filler creatures in there, most of my GB decks with reanimation have done just fine with ~13 creatures due to the self-mill.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Trophied on my 2nd draft this set!

https://www.17lands.com/deck/d55c02e4a7b3454fb35f2a86f48d6552

I didn't believe in green at first, until everyone told me its nuts, and yeah I have to agree. My 1 loss was to a guy who played 4 o-rings and 3 other removal spells and I miscalculated how many creatures they'd have to block with to survive.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lost to bonny pall again lmao, true nemesis... i had enchantment-based removal but a voracious varmint blew it up.

I did have an out with Fractured identity but not the luck to draw it

3-1 so far though, I have to let the board state get to really scary places. the opponent had to make a desperation alpha strike and they kept spamming "good game" (maybe in an attempt to psych me out into making me make bad blocks lol?)

I am getting a feel for Plot as well... keeping Stagecoach Security and Visage Thief in the holster for literally most of the game until I could execute a reversal of fortune with flash mystical tether into Fractured Identity was a thing

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 21, 2024

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yo, with the changes made as I said on top of the page, this trophied. I lost once more to og Oko (completely busted), but I beat someone with the new Oko - which they milled together with the 6/5 trample worm, then got both back with Deadlands Revival, and that still wasn't enough. In the end, I always just had a bigger green man. Or, in that case, Overwhelming Forces lol

This format has been real fun so far - I did utterly dominate some games, but most were super close, super fun, lots of back and forth, and there were some really cool lines to take. At least twice I won just with the +2 from Fake Your Own Death!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Time posted:

G/B was clearly open, so I have a tough build

It's interesting that you had success with the Gigapede - it seems like a card that could be really good but also in practice would be way too clunky most of the time (are they really gonna attack into SIX open mana? Are they not gonna have a way to protect their stuff from the etb and/or kill the Gigapede before it can block?). It's also way worse as a reanimation target because it loses the Ambush part, and it's unrealistic that you could bring it back with Mourner's and immediately play it while they're tapped out or something. With a Cactarantula and no deserts, the Tyrant and at least two five-mana spells (I would cut one Revival but not two), your curve is also fairly high and I wouldn't want to get stuck with a Gigapede, a Tyrant and/or a Revival in hand because it's not like you can discard.

Thus, from your initial 47, I'd cut Dance of the Tumbleweeds, a Desert's Due, the Drover Grizzly, an Ashes (I'm cutting a piece of fixing after all), a Revival, a Gigapede and finally your choice of any removal still remaining in the deck. You're cutting Skulduggery in both versions and I agree that it's the weakest, you don't even have any cheap Crime payoffs.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Isn't Skulduggery generally just going to be better than Desert's Due without any deserts? The upside of being cheaper and possibly winning two combats seems higher than the downside of not flat out killing 2 toughness guys

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Skulduggery doesn't really do anything if you're not getting into combat - there's really not many x/1s in the format, except for tokens that you don't really want to spend a card on. Desert's Due is sometimes great in combat, sometimes you just kill a thing. But you don't need setup. Skul has higher upside, yeah, but that's in specific scenarios. And this deck isn't one that's planning to get into tight combats all the time to make those happen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Trying to make Yuma work in Brawl too. Closest thing to Hazezon in Arena.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Hit mythic with double Gisa and 1 Rakdos. Trash the town was also amazing - using the trample to mode to trigger crime when using the other two modes was consistently helpful.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Man, this is the craziest rare/mythic pool I've gotten.

https://sealeddeck.tech/EMczU7Ddq9

Not sure what to make. I want to use everything. :sigh:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What do you do with this deck? I can't find a video of anyone playing it, so hard to actually google deck names since nobody does it, just ambiguous reused archetype names, very annoying. For every game where I was able to pull something from graveyard, I spent several more just endlessly drawing and scrying and discarding never actually able to do anything before dying.
https://mtga.untapped.gg/meta/decks...AA?tab=overview

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Time posted:

I haven't played straight BG because I'm always on some multicolour soup when in those colours, so my thoughts may not be informed.

My cuts would be: Skulduggery, 2 Desert's Due, Mourner's Surprise, Dance of the Tumbleweeds, Sterling Hound, 1 Consuming Ashes, 1 Ambush Gigapede/Cactarantula. Adding a Swamp because we always want to make land drops to 5/6.

It makes sense to me to maximise the self-mill and reanimate stuff here, it's just a good thing to build around. I think you have good 2s so 2x Throw from the Saddle is acceptable.

I agree about too much removal and Desert's Due is mediocre with no deserts so those go first. I'm cutting Mourner's Surprise because I've found it to be awkward in decks that also have bigger/better reanimation spells. Could see 3 Revivals being too many, but there's enough self-mill to justify it.

Waffleopolis posted:

Unfortunate that the fixing doesn't quite get there. I think this build plays the most powerful cards and still has reasonable mana.

https://sealeddeck.tech/YfE7FUmuQy

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

EDIT: ^^^^ I like that we reached pretty much the same conclusion, some details are different but I think it's not too important to argue over a Drover Grizzly vs Thunder Salvo or whatever

Waffleopolis posted:

Man, this is the craziest rare/mythic pool I've gotten.

https://sealeddeck.tech/EMczU7Ddq9

I think I would go for this:

https://sealeddeck.tech/cEXsOQJst8

Reason being that your B is rather thin, and your best cards are Consuming Ashes and Rakdos, both double-pipped. Satoru doesn't have that much Plot to synergize with it, Vial Smasher isn't a great plan, Pest Control and Vraska Joins Up are unplayable. I'm also exclusing W because its contributions are just Assimilation Aegis, Lassoed by the Law and Shepherd, the rest are replacable (Fortune is p good but not, like, a bomb).

Last to fall is Blue because it concentrates its power on the three Sphinges, which are great but come so late. Phantom Interference is also good but can be very awkward, and it can't be your only plan early. Jace isn't that good imo. Malcolm is cool but only if you definitely get it down T2 and then you keep double-spelling which you are not well set up for. The BIG bomb it has is Bonny who you really want to play ofc.

Red and Green are both deep, combine a bunch of removal, you can pressure early and have good lategame with the busted Calamity and some big men.

I'm not fond of splashing a double-pip, but Bonny just wins the game, so with three lands, Tumbleweeds, a treasure from the Lackey, and possible ones from the Locomotive and Hell to Pay, I'm willing to risk it.

I've build a Simic-based version as comparison:

https://sealeddeck.tech/TURWeWsMZy

But just look at that curve. The card power is slightly higher (maybe?) but I think there will be much more awkward hands. It's possible that I'm not thinking Sealed speed enough, however.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 22, 2024

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

What do you do with this deck? I can't find a video of anyone playing it, so hard to actually google deck names since nobody does it, just ambiguous reused archetype names, very annoying. For every game where I was able to pull something from graveyard, I spent several more just endlessly drawing and scrying and discarding never actually able to do anything before dying.
https://mtga.untapped.gg/meta/decks...AA?tab=overview

It's a combo deck, so the "something" to pull from your graveyard is exactly one specific thing. If you have Rakdos Joins Up and Hulking Metamorph in the graveyard, Abuelo's on the Rakdos bringing back the Metamorph starts an infinite damage loop. It's too early to have a unanimous name, but searching YouTube for the newest card involved, Rakdos Joins Up, should give you an ample supply of gameplay vids.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I play on pc, smartphone and tablet. Everything transfers and syncs seamlessly once you log in, interface is actually pretty good at dealing with the limited space

Edit: replying to old post, didn't refresh thread

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Steely Glint posted:

It's a combo deck, so the "something" to pull from your graveyard is exactly one specific thing. If you have Rakdos Joins Up and Hulking Metamorph in the graveyard, Abuelo's on the Rakdos bringing back the Metamorph starts an infinite damage loop. It's too early to have a unanimous name, but searching YouTube for the newest card involved, Rakdos Joins Up, should give you an ample supply of gameplay vids.

Ohhh, okay thank you. I figured out Abuelo the Rakdos since it's the only way to cast it, but didn't have my graveyard stocked right since Rakdos did nothing besides be a 5/5 flyer.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Did another OTJ Premier

https://www.17lands.com/draft/610ce0b7063b4ea18da425679902dd2e

Started with an unexciting few packs, Blood Hustler is great but I'd have loved a rare ofc, then Murder over Outcaster Greenblade because it do be a combo and I like to stay in one color at first if the options seems similar, got paid off by B being quite open. Then I saw Intimidation Campaign and went "uuuh I want to do that" and proceeded to do that.

I think it's worth splashing for the Hypo-siz because it can give me some much needed card draw, also it does commit a crime. I do have two fixing lands and I'm playing the treasure-maker, so that's three sources. If I wasn't splashing, I'd cut the latter ofc.

My last two cuts were the second Phantom Interference and Skulduggery, respectively. I could be convinced to play either over e.g. Spring Splasher (that's mostly only gonna be good for one crime anyway before dying), though I don't want to go down too far in creature count. Is Heartless Pillage good in this set? I could see it be good (and it's a Crime) but also I'd rather, you know, kill something.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

jailbreak scheme is not an instant. jailbreak scheme is not an instant. jailbreak scheme is not an instant. jailbreak scheme is not an instant. all work and no play makes kalel a dull boy

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
There is no way playing a third Intimidation Campaign is correct IMO. I would play Interference or even Gigapede over it.

The deck looks fine but wish it had more crimelands, obviously sometimes you just don't get passed any in P2/P3 but I would prioritize crimelands with only 1 relevant color pretty highly in The Crime Deck.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

There is no way playing a third Intimidation Campaign is correct IMO. I would play Interference or even Gigapede over it.

The deck looks fine but wish it had more crimelands, obviously sometimes you just don't get passed any in P2/P3 but I would prioritize crimelands with only 1 relevant color pretty highly in The Crime Deck.
That's what I did for the Golgari one. Others tended to go quickly or were wildly off color. Still figuring out the best spots to take them.

It's a good point about the third Campaign, perhaps that's not the best call even though it's funny. I like the idea of the Gigapede in this deck, it could be key to shut down something big pounding at my door. Probably gonna do that.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Steely Glint posted:

I was ready to complain that this combo working was a bug in Arena, but after double checking the rules, it is merely a case of unintuitive interactions.

Like, who figured out that this combo lets Hulking Metamorph repeatedly reanimate itself?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
had a lot of fun with an OTJ premier draft today https://www.17lands.com/draft/2aa550e6b40c4c6eb2ae11e6272638f4

i didnt play it very well, but i was once again super impressed with how well Taii Wakeen performed. even if i hadn't gone way overboard on cards with damage effects, she would still be turning any ping desert into an 8+ damage kill shot in the late game

overall this format has been a breath of fresh air compared to MKM. it's nice to know that wotc can still design a limited format that isn't completely overrun by aggro decks if they really put their minds to it

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The Abuelo combo works, but it's also vulnerable to instant speed removal killing the Spirit token, so keep some in your hand if you see Rakdos or Metamorph hitting the GY.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sadly, this went just 2-3. The first game, I wonder if I could have played that better. They had a Seraphic Steed and I had two removal spells (but I couldn't cast them in the same turn). I was 100% convinved they had Snakeskin Veil, so I tried to play around it and didn't remove it immediately. Then the played Miriam, so I couldn't remove it on their turn! I tried to then goad them into using the Veil on Miriam, but they didn't take the bait - I tried with the other removal on the Steed and sure enough, they had it. Unbeatable after that. Maybe I should have just immediately fired on it so they'd use the Veil, then I could have killed it with the second one. Dunno. I mean, with my tactic, I would have lost a removal regardless, so...

The other losses were to an Izzet deck that didn't really do the double-spell thing (had Malcolm though), they just out-tempo'd me with tons of small creatures. I tried my best and almost assembled my various engines, but they just came out swinging too hard. And finally, I faced a Grixis deck that focused heavily on all the Outlaw synergies, culminating in this board:

...after they hit me with Rush of Dread for 2 sac 2 discard. I removed Kaervek but then they played Rakdos (not that it mattered but lol, lmao).

The victories were really sweet though! Cool deck, just wished the circumstances were a bit better in the two matches I lost to one and then a lot of rares. I never drew Hypothesizzle, ftr. But the Gigapede was awesome!

EDIT:

:thunk:

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 22, 2024

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The Abuelo combo works, but it's also vulnerable to instant speed removal killing the Spirit token, so keep some in your hand if you see Rakdos or Metamorph hitting the GY.

This is true, but it also can just combo again as soon as they draw another Abuelo's, or the Saga that lets them play the copy from the graveyard. So you need graveyard exile to 100% kill it.

It's a super fun deck to play and usually wins on turn 4 or 5, and your opponent is normally tapped out on those turns to play a big 4 drop or something.

Elesh Norn also stops it.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 22, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am getting a feel for Plot as well... keeping Stagecoach Security and Visage Thief in the holster for literally most of the game until I could execute a reversal of fortune with flash mystical tether into Fractured Identity was a thing

lost 2 more times in quick succession, just getting outmuscled by beefy cards and bombs, simple bounce was not enough to cling to life lol. Already entering the pessimistic phase where i know it will be harder to draft completely busted decks at the same time the people playing will continue to get better and I will just fall behind

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gonna try the Abuelo combo again later now that I know what it is lol. I also got a draft refunded when I sent a message about me not understanding a board state right and misplaying. Never hesitate to send a report if u gently caress up even if it's your fault, it's a free draft. Fuckups deserve free drafts that's just the way it is.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
While I don't disagree in principle I've heard that they start taking a harder stance if you keep refunding drafts for small poo poo. IDK I used to refund a decent amount, probably got about 10 refunds since I started, but I just ended up not bothering usually because the process is so tedious. I can never remember which of the portals you have to go into and where they hid away the refund option and all that poo poo and have to google it up again every time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you have to really be overusing the system for them to say no -- but the thing is, that's the worst they're going to do if you report an issue, so there's really no reason not to do it especially if it's a fully legitimate issue

I submitted an issue once on a whim bc my cat knocked over a cup mid draft and it led to a few autopicks & I got a refund even though absolutely nothing was wrong on their end. don't police yourself out of free poo poo

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
My understanding is the consequence unless you're SERIOUSLY abusing it is just "we're not going to refund you anymore."

Like, the only known case I've heard about of "actual consequences to your existing account instead of just having the refund tap turned off" was somebody who was deliberately taking a bugged card every time it came up in draft regardless of whether it would've actually been in his colors, then going to support with "hey I had this bugged card in my pool, please refund me."

Every other case, it's just people going "I got told I wouldn't get drafts refunded anymore."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I still don't understand OTJ drafts at all. Here's my latest draft, which went 1-3. What did I do wrong, what should I have been trying to do?

https://www.17lands.com/draft/9619a311e19a4722ae034da4a2b221dc

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
This is the link for submitting a refund request for those who have lost it https://mtgarena-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I've yet to have a request refused honestly, even when I've been wrong about the rules being interpreted wrongly in one case. They're generally generous because it costs them literally nothing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I got tempted by a thing in OTJ Premier and really shouldn't have lol

https://www.17lands.com/draft/152dd2b1526c4d1d9022436411935531

I struggled to find a direction at the start, with Sultai cards all over the place. I figured maybe I could go for some Simic plot stuff, try that out, not like the green creatures are bad or anything - had the signpost, I could splash Vraska (first pick) or Buried in the Garden, or go for soup...P2P1 Armadillo, cool.

Then I got passed Rakdos and went hmmm I mean that IS a bomb and it IS splashable...if I stick with Black.

Then I got passed Akul (and Rakdos Joins Up but I took the former).

The rest of the draft did get me the needed BR cards to fill a deck I guess with some U (mostly two Outlaw Stitchers and Marchesa), but I didn't really get much removal, not many synergies (Outlaws, I guess)...I banked on the bombs (I also had Great Train Heist).

Well, I almost got there in the first game (Rakdos and Heist) but it was one damage short - I honestly didn't run the numbers, it was complex enough to plan the attack in the first place - and I thought ah, it's fine, I'm safe: I played the Heist, I get a bunch of Treasures, I can just play Outlaw Stitcher and have two four-toughness blockers for their backswing, then Rakdos wins.

Except that Heist makes tapped Treasure tokens. It's impossible to read every line on cards like this the first go around, so, cautionary tale I guess.

Then I did a really cool thing:

Plotted Stitcher at the ready, play the treasure-maker, get enough mana to cast the second stitcher, play the plotted one, BIG boys and all first strike and stuff

But, well, look at my life total.

And finally I lost to someone going off with THREE Vial Smashers (I traded one, then Thoughtseized and saw two more) and two Brimstone Roundup. THEY did the Outlaw thing - I didn't do poo poo.

0-3. Don't pivot into Rakdos bombs, kids.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Chamale posted:

I still don't understand OTJ drafts at all. Here's my latest draft, which went 1-3. What did I do wrong, what should I have been trying to do?

straight off the bat, you took trained arynx (decent common) over an outlaw stitcher (great uncommon). it looks to me like you decided you were in GW mounts before you even started the draft, which is a recipe for serious punishment. your end result was a deck with several mediocre mounts, no rare mounts or miriam to scale them up, and to top it all off you were repeatedly passing extremely good bombs and curve toppers in other colors as you went.

be more willing to take bomb rares/mythics and build decks around them, and don't be afraid to splash colors. if you had taken Calamity when you saw it you would have been rewarded immediately with The Great Train Heist and had an actual plan to win games. You probably could have even gone straight boros without any green by that point.

most of all, you need to look for synergy. there's so much value in even the mildest combos in this format that trying to play an honest value curve out will almost never be strong enough to win games on its own. if you pick up patient naturalist, look for graveyard recursion. if you pick up an outcaster greenblade, be more willing to take good cards in splash colors that the greenblade's land smoothing will help cast. To both of these points: the deck you built from your draft pool would have been significantly better with a single swamp and your Back for More in the main list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Chamale posted:

Let's see.

P1P1: I really don't want to take the Arynx. It's good, but the Mounts deck is the hot poo poo right now so it'll be contested, and I don't think it's first pick material at all. Stitcher is p cool but probably also not it, but Take the Fall is really good - it does everything Blue wants to do - I'd probably take that. However, with a pack as weak as this, one could argue for the Desert. There's plenty of decks where you'll happily play a half off-color Desert.
P1P2: I think Homestead is terrible. Doesn't do anything for you. Ignoring Jace is correct, but there's Derailment here - solid as hell removal - and Snakeskin Veil, one of the best combat tricks. Either are miles better than the dorky Vehicle.
P1P3: Clear Shot is the best card in the pack, no issues
P1P4: Beaver's fine. With Take the Fall first pick, I'd probably go Lone Shark here. Though I'd also have taken Clear Shot, so, tossup
P1P5: TUtS is great but you only have a single W card, you're committing to a deck idea way too early (but the Homestead pick already made that clear). You have two great G cards, take the Hardbristle Bandit!
P1P6+7: yes
P1P8: Grizzly isn't great. I think you want to speculate in a different direction here. I think Ruckus is p good, could be going into a GR deck. Rest is stinky though so whatever
P1P9: Note that Take the Fall tabled. People are definitely underrating this
P1P10: I cannot fathom why you'd take Interference with zero blue cards over Ankle Biter. With Clear Shot alone I'll take that every day of the week, and there's another great Bite spell at common

P2P1: Again, there's nothing that necessitates you being white as a second color. With my U spec, I'd take Make Your Own Luck here. For your selection, I'm considering the Commando, but the Golgari dual is also a fine choice.
P2P2: Calamity is an insane bomb. You don't know your second color yet!!! There's no need to commit to White here! Take Calamity and lock into GR

From here, our paths and drafts would be wildly different. I'm going to comment on individual choices in your draft now.

P2P6: Grizzly is a card I always want to cut. Commando is much much better.
P2P8: Keykeeper is another card I never want to play. Varmint is much better.

Note that during the rest of the pack, both your colors are completely gone - you committed too early and fight with others over the scraps. Red was free for you to take, and had you moved in earlier, there would have been many more goodies coming your way for sure.

P3P1: I never want to play two Glamers. Tether is much better. Or splash for Back for More (easier with the Hardbristle Bandit you passed).
P3P2: Griffin is barely playable - Hardbristle Bandit is extremely good
P3P4: Correct choice in a pack that's already dried up for you - terrible sign.

As for your deck, you did the best you could - no issue with the build you got from your pool - but man, there's a lot of cards in there I just don't want to play. Keykeeper, Homestead, the Grizzlies, Naturalist doesn't fit your archetype, you got too many Beavers (high curve), Griffin and Reach for the Sky are super iffy. With only 6 Mounts, you didn't really pull off your archetypes, and your payoffs (Frontier Seeker and Shepherd of the Clouds) aren't even that good (in fact, they're fine, but mostly because they each have a buyout without synergy).

Overall, you decided to be a certain deck way too early instead of staying open and also individual card evaluations were often wrong. Especially the former is not really a format question. Stay open!