Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Given that they're apparently refunding people from those countries who bought the game if they request one (and don't just make a dummy PSN account like everyone did in the PS3 era to get Japanese games) and the Steam player count hasn't changed even slightly I'm going to say they haven't hosed it up, though they probably shouldn't have sold it in those countries to begin with given a PSN account was listed as a requirement for the game on the Steam page at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I took one glance at the helldivers 2 thread here and it's a total shitshow. I haven't even participated and I probably never will, having left it unread again.
I know that's par for the course but there's a lot of egregious gently caress-you-got-mine going on in there. Like some goons are incapable of seeing why over a hundred countries not being able to have PSNs is a problem.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They've certainly hosed up, this is a PR disaster if nothing else and they were selling battle passes those people probably can't get refunds for, but I really can't imagine giving a poo poo about the login requirement if you live in a country where PSN is actually available. Feels like an extension of the stupid launcher wars, it's silly. If you're that desperate to not give them your information just make a throwaway email, the game only makes you log in once ever.

e: taking the game off Steam entirely in those regions and issuing refunds is hilariously bad though, they're not only tacitly admitting they hosed up, they're choosing the "solution" that does nothing to fix the issue

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 5, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So they pulled the game from 177 countries.

The world only has 195 countries.

Sony pulled the game from 90% of the world months after the fact

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If you look at steam charts it's not affecting player counts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sony frantic to do anything, anything at all that'll let them juice their numbers/hit KPI's that doesn't involve actually making games

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Delisting the game doesn't affect people who currently own it, and the PSN requirement doesn't come into effect until the end of the month. It's unlikely to have any impact until then.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol, apparently you can't make a PC PSN account in Japan so they pulled Helldivers from Steam there too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Waffleman_ posted:

So they pulled the game from 177 countries.

The world only has 195 countries.

Sony pulled the game from 90% of the world months after the fact

90% of the country list, you’d have to do more math to figure out what fraction of the population but it’s probably nowhere near that

I guess some executive decided that a higher percentage of players having PSN accounts was more important than bringing in more money. Wonder what the other executives think about that

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Why does helldivers need a psn account for pc play? Like what’s the reasoning here?

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

What’s a pc?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Attitude Indicator posted:

Why does helldivers need a psn account for pc play? Like what’s the reasoning here?

Sony want to capture people in their ecosystem like every other platform holder in the entire world

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Sony want to capture people in their ecosystem like every other platform holder in the entire world

Dumb way to do it, seems like

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but it’ll probably make the “total PSN account holder” number go up a bit which will look good on some exec’s ‘what I did this summer’ slide deck and that particular suit probably doesn’t have a dog in the “did we piss off a bunch of people and who is going to take responsibility for it?” fight so gently caress it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They say they want to use it for bans and ban appeals.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Steam does that already

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Fix posted:

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/helldivers-2-delisted-for-over-100-countries-on-steam

Trust Sony to get one glimpse of a golden goose and gently caress it all up.

It's fine, those countries are poor either way

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What's a PC PSN account used for?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nothing

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cuz the PS5 has no games. Got it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Arist posted:

(...)but I really can't imagine giving a poo poo about the login requirement if you live in a country where PSN is actually available. Feels like an extension of the stupid launcher wars, it's silly. If you're that desperate to not give them your information just make a throwaway email, the game only makes you log in once ever.

Creating another account is more friction than not creating another account, though I obviously already have a PSN account :shrug:

I only bought a PS5 because I liked PS4 a lot but I won't lie, I dislike almost everything Sony did this gen so far (except for the actual hardware which is good).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Waltzing Along posted:

What's a PC PSN account used for?

They've been moving towards an integration layer for their PC titles that would enable cross platform trophies, controller management, and pc cloud saves I think

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sony loving up the whole gen after having a big success in their last console is absolutely no surprise if you were around for the PS3.

Unfortunately MS have also done a lovely job this go around to so there’s nobody to make them rein it in for PS6 like they did with the PS4.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sony should try setting up a whole PC eco system, call it oh I don't know... Windows Play?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just hope Sony continues to bring more and more of their catalog to PC, and more aggressively speeds up with those ports.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm not surprised at Sony loving up and making players angry. What I think is actually bad is that Arrowhead are in public saying we're trying to represent what customers want, but don't have the final say. Arrowhead might just say gently caress that when it comes to dealing with Sony in future.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Sakurazuka posted:

Sony should try setting up a whole PC eco system, call it oh I don't know... Windows Play?

Games for Windows Live featuring PSN

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The funny thing is they could have required a psn account from day one and people would have bitched about it for like a day and gotten over it. You can’t just add something like that after the fact with everyone always looking for something to be furious about.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

With all these loving remasters, alls I want from Sony is a re-release of soul sacrifice delta on a console that people actually own.

veni veni veni posted:

The funny thing is they could have required a psn account from day one and people would have bitched about it for like a day and gotten over it. You can’t just add something like that after the fact with everyone always looking for something to be furious about.

Yea implementing it at this stage is dumb and bound to cause bad feeling. They either should have done it from the get go or just let it slide at this point.

Or, maybe release a cool armor or something as a reward for creating an account, but not make it mandatory.

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 5, 2024

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

History Comes Inside! posted:

Sony loving up the whole gen after having a big success in their last console is absolutely no surprise if you were around for the PS3.

Unfortunately MS have also done a lovely job this go around to so there’s nobody to make them rein it in for PS6 like they did with the PS4.

Gamepass owns actually

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Games for Windows Live featuring PSN

I forgot about that service. No matter how much Sony sucks at this, nothing they do can be as bad as Games for Windows Live.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

I said come in! posted:

I forgot about that service. No matter how much Sony sucks at this, nothing they do can be as bad as Games for Windows Live.

We're still mid-generation, give them time

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

oh man i remember that shadowrun fps that used gwfl, that was kinda cool

the elf had a hang glider

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

It was there from day 1, it was waived for a while tho due to login authentication problems on pc in the launch window

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That is definitely a dumb move on Sony's part. I'm also surprised they haven't established some sort of super-basic "forgotten regions" system to get at least some basic implementations happening. Steam is a bit of an odd duck in that it's legit available formally in pretty much every country in the world (with the possible exceptions of territories like North Korea). I imagine there are some unofficial ways that people in unsupported countries are doing Playstation stuff including online, like I'm sure people have Playstation in Egypt and setup with something like a UK or Middle Eastern account, people from Tonga set up a New Zealand account, etc.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It seems like while this is dumb on Sony's part, the real fuckup is from the Helldivers devs.

"We knew this would happen. We just didn't say anything."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hiding that is a big deal. No one is looking good coming out of this.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SettingSun posted:

Hiding that is a big deal. No one is looking good coming out of this.

Yeah, I feel like the greatest fault ultimately lands at the feet of Sony. They're the ones who mandated this and they're the ones in charge of sales. Steam has controls to block sales in certain countries. If they were going to mandate this, they should have never sold the game in non-PSN countries to begin with - aside from the fact that this is a dumb mandate.

But the devs are not blameless either. They were aware of this requirement and knew it was going to happen and decided to stay silent about it for the last six months and then acted like they were overwhelmed and confused by the situation as well.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

move fast break things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

It seems like while this is dumb on Sony's part, the real fuckup is from the Helldivers devs.

"We knew this would happen. We just didn't say anything."

Source on this? Not showing on dumbass elon site so it either was deleted or fake.