Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

big nipples big life posted:

What games have good dog enemies? I can't think of any. There's the first encounter with them in res evil but that's just cool because it was scary, they are still annoying rear end dog enemies after that. Dragon's Dogma has wolves that hunt in packs but outside of fun pawn memes they are still annoying rear end dog enemies.

My proposition is that dog enemies are banned and retired from games. No one likes killing dogs and video game developers can't make them fun to fight. They should be replaced with something easier to shoot, like Pandas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Instead of dogs just make the girl from the ring come attack you the same way.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I like that Techland fixed dying light 2 but also made the game harder and added annoying mechanics.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

boars. they have good attack patterns, they are dangerous, they drop delicious meat.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I'm having strong premonitions that Stellar Blade is going to be a 7/10 game, but the discourse around it has been so insane that I'm hoping it ends up at one extreme or the other just so I can watch what happens

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

house of the dad posted:

I'm having strong premonitions that Stellar Blade is going to be a 7/10 game, but the discourse around it has been so insane that I'm hoping it ends up at one extreme or the other just so I can watch what happens

It's probably high budget enough and not too terribly offensive in any of its gameplay systems, it's gonna be in the 80s on metacritic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

house of the dad posted:

I'm having strong premonitions that Stellar Blade is going to be a 7/10 game

Are talking about the scores or the main characters ages?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

veni veni veni posted:

Are talking about the scores or the main characters ages?

:lol: Nice,

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

My proposition is that dog enemies are banned and retired from games. No one likes killing dogs and video game developers can't make them fun to fight. They should be replaced with something easier to shoot, like Pandas.

In Rise of the Ronin if you sneak up on an enemy dog you can give it pets and it’s no longer an enemy :kiddo:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

house of the dad posted:

I've been a big fan of 7/10 games this year. Both Dragon's Dogma 2 and LAD:IW were 7/10 games for me and I loved both of them so much.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

That big red dog monster in Monster Hunter World was a pretty cool fight.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Attitude Indicator posted:

clifford, yes, you found the good dog enemy. dark clifford was also good.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

In Rise of the Ronin if you sneak up on an enemy dog you can give it pets and it’s no longer an enemy :kiddo:

ok, now i need this game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

The bigger the dog the more potential it has to not suck.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sif is a good fight but the DLC ruined it for me because then it was a just a sad fight.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Divinity Original Sin 2 is already starting to lose me. I forgot just how much time is spent slowly navigating around or through oil/poison/etc just to march back to a cave to turn in a quest to get randomized boots of +1 constitution or whatever. The individualized character roleplay stuff is a huge improvement over the first game, but all the little tedious bits of navigation, inventory management and crafting seem pretty much the same.

Do the plot threads/etc pick up substantially after the first island, or am I in for "deliver <X> item from <Y> poison cave for <level appropriate randomized gear>" ad nauseum?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finished SotN, fantastic game

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Arist posted:

I learned yesterday the Death skip at the very begining and it blew my mind after all these years. It's so easy to pull it's insane and makes the early game a tad easier.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arist posted:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

What are you on about, its not even in same timezone, aint even in the same drat galaxy

Its definitely the Hogwarts legacy of this year now in that far right people have latched onto blathering about it, not because of the game itself, but the feeling that they could stick it to some ideological enemy in the process or to "libs" they have convinced themselves must hate the game because it's Asian developed game #5139102 with a carefully designed for maximum sex appeal battle "waifu" protagonist. Like they think being weird and overly political about this game is gonna save gaming from "wokeness" and the ultimate boogeyman sweet baby inc. Thats about the extent they seem to know of gaming let alone games from Asia.

Other than that nothing in common. The game could potentially have a thread if its good though as we're not gonna get those far right weirdos here at least. Its probably gonna have a lot of your standard anime sci-fi tropes like coming to an understanding with your enemies and that not everyone is cut from the same cloth based around factions or those different from you anyway. Like I just have a hard time believing it won't do something narratively to piss those people off into thinking the "woke mind virus" got em since it doesnt take much.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

I'm still kind of processing that Korea is making real games now. I'm still half expecting Stellar Blade to turn into a tower defense game 15 minutes in where you have to buy cannonballs with premium currency.

Play Lies of P u coward!

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Ulio posted:

Ya I would say Sekiro still has the best parry mechanic but I did like the ki system of Wulong which added a nice twist to Sekiro's posture system.
Sekiro's emblem system for special moves/tools was really bad. In Wulong you can gain positive posture which you can't in Sekiro, you can spend that posture to do special attacks and spells.

Limiting your special moves in Sekiro behind a limited resource was a bad idea, I know they later patched it to make it easier to get emblems.

But that's just a minor gripe, Sekiro imo is still one of the best games of all time, it still has the best array of boss fights in any game imo. The first time fighting the Guardian Ape then fighting him with his wife, loving poo poo was crazy.

Yeah I barely used the abilities or tools in Sekiro for that reason. Even though in NG+7 it was probably very easy to get the emblems.

Wolong was great. It had issues but I’m a bit surprised it wasn’t received well at all.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

What are you on about, its not even in same timezone, aint even in the same drat galaxy

The main argument for boycotting Hogwarts was that Rowling would use royalties to support anti-trans campaigns, no? A company that supports anti feminist campaigns seems to be in similar territory. Especially when they have repeated instances of sexual harassment and assault within the company and fire the women who complain about it… I don’t recall the HP studio itself practicing anti-trans abuse. Gender equality in Korea is a lot further behind than most would likely guess for a developed country and it’s one of the central voting issues. The current president won almost entirely on a misogynist platform.

I don’t think there’s enough awareness around that side of the game for a thread to end up like the one for Hogwarts. It wouldn’t really have a meaningful real world impact anyway. But in a world where it did, the motivations and context does seem rather similar?

Edit: But the more mainstream debate between people angry about boobs is fairly silly, yes.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 24, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you buy Stellar Blade put a shroud over your OLED to hide from God, for you shall surely not escape the ever-watchful eye of the Goon.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

The main argument for boycotting Hogwarts was that Rowling would use royalties to support anti-trans campaigns, no? A company that supports anti feminist campaigns seems to be in similar territory. Especially when they have repeated instances of sexual harassment and assault within the company and fire the women who complain about it… I don’t recall the HP studio itself practicing anti-trans abuse. Gender equality in Korea is a lot further behind than most would likely guess for a developed country and it’s one of the central voting issues. The current president won almost entirely on a misogynist platform.

https://apnews.com/article/south-korea-election-president-yoon-76d0d61593c9ab85504bcf4b66c2c168

Yeah but he's also running a pretty weak minority government now after his party lost some seats in the election that just happened a couple weeks ago and apparently admits he'll have an even harder time passing some of his legislative priorities and is effectively a lame duck. The usual combination of scandals and corruption apparently did a number on his and his party's popularity and now the balance of power in their legislature is even more in the hands of a coalition of liberal parties, while his barely has 35% of the legislature. 108 seats to 192 for the opposition liberal Democratic party which is weak as poo poo to try to govern with at the executive level. Not even 2 years into his 5 year term the guys a lame duck. Whatever grip of populist fervor that made Korea the culture war capital of the world at the time he was elected seems to be abating more than America's, which is currently surging again, but they've still got a lot of problems over there clearly.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

If you buy Stellar Blade put a shroud over your OLED to hide from God, for you shall surely not escape the ever-watchful eye of the Goon.

Make sure to appear offline whenever you play it so your friends don’t see what shameful things you are doing on your ps5

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

incorporeal posted:

Make sure to appear offline whenever you play it so your friends don’t see what shameful things you are doing on your ps5

Yeah but what if they decide to check your trophies on a whim

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

God help me Ive installed Destiny 2 again. I skipped the last expansion but I kinda want to play this next one so Im giving myself a month+ to relearn all of the obtuse weird systems that the really fun shooter basics are smothered in. This game is menu hell anytime you're not in an activity shooting aliens. You unlock all kinds of poo poo as you play and instead of just popping up "you earned X, great!" you have to navigate to some obtuse submenu and hold x to claim whatever. Not to mention if you havent played in a while forgetting basic but crucial poo poo like oh yeah, this gun I like can eat other higher power guns to maintain its level. Oh yeah I can attach poo poo to armor. And the ever present "what the gently caress should I actually be doing right now" feeling outside of the limited story missions. Multi stage quests that always end up forcing you into parts of the game you dont like. Somehow the base gameplay and cool aesthetic makes it worth dealing with this poo poo, for a while anyway.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 24, 2024

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah but what if they decide to check your trophies on a whim

Pretty sure you can hide that stuff. Gotta put the whole account on lockdown. Maybe just delete all your friends also. Start a new life

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Quote is not edit ugh.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I've thought to myself I want to play destiny 2 again a few times, went though all the trouble of clearing space for the massive game and installing only to find myself standing in the hub going "where the gently caress do I even start again" then uninstalling it. Same thing with warframe. Old live service games really need a refresher course.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kale posted:

https://apnews.com/article/south-korea-election-president-yoon-76d0d61593c9ab85504bcf4b66c2c168

Yeah but he's also running a pretty weak minority government now after his party lost some seats in the election that just happened a couple weeks ago and apparently admits he'll have an even harder time passing some of his legislative priorities and is effectively a lame duck. The usual combination of scandals and corruption apparently did a number on his and his party's popularity and now the balance of power in their legislature is even more in the hands of a coalition of liberal parties, while his barely has 35% of the legislature. 108 seats to 192 for the opposition liberal Democratic party which is weak as poo poo to try to govern with at the executive level. Not even 2 years into his 5 year term the guys a lame duck. Whatever grip of populist fervor that made Korea the culture war capital of the world at the time he was elected seems to be abating more than America's, which is currently surging again, but they've still got a lot of problems over there clearly.

Yeah the parliamentary election had a very heartening result, helped by a very large female vote, and will drastically limit his power. Saying that the culture war is done here a bit ridiculous though. It was bad before he came, his election was a symptom, and it continues to be bad. Venomous anger against feminists continues to be common place here.

When Biden beat Trump, did people say "Well, things are all good now :)"

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 24, 2024

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

big nipples big life posted:

Sif is a good fight but the DLC ruined it for me because then it was a just a sad fight.

Ever finish the dlc with him before encountering him in the main game?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Brightman posted:

Ever finish the dlc with him before encountering him in the main game?

Yes. Horrible :(

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah the parliamentary election had a very heartening result, helped by a very large female vote, and will drastically limit his power. Saying that the culture war is done here a bit ridiculous though. It was bad before he came, his election was a symptom, and it continues to be bad. Venomous anger against feminists continues to be common place here.

Without getting too deep into it in this thread is it getting worse right now like America, mostly staying the same or abating even slightly? Admittedly I've been kind of fascinated about the topic since hearing that South Korea somehow narrowly edged America as the culture war capital of the world in some index of polarization by like a percentage point or so. It's just hard for me to imagine it being more severe anywhere in the world than 2024 America.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

AcidCat posted:

God help me Ive installed Destiny 2 again. I skipped the last expansion but I kinda want to play this next one so Im giving myself a month+ to relearn all of the obtuse weird systems that the really fun shooter basics are smothered in. This game is menu hell anytime you're not in an activity shooting aliens. You unlock all kinds of poo poo as you play and instead of just popping up "you earned X, great!" you have to navigate to some obtuse submenu and hold x to claim whatever. Not to mention if you havent played in a while forgetting basic but crucial poo poo like oh yeah, this gun I like can eat other higher power guns to maintain its level. Oh yeah I can attach poo poo to armor. And the ever present "what the gently caress should I actually be doing right now" feeling outside of the limited story missions. Multi stage quests that always end up forcing you into parts of the game you dont like. Somehow the base gameplay and cool aesthetic makes it worth dealing with this poo poo, for a while anyway.

I really hope someone is working on Copilot for games you haven't touched in 3 years, cause yeah Destiny 2 is so loving hard to get back into. I was able to do it for a few months, only because I had a friend who exclusively plays Destiny 2 who doesn't mind reteaching me all the backwards poo poo you need to do. The grind was fun for a bit, then after the latest seasonal event it all became super old again.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pJ4dK_67js

Not sure if many others grew up with this game. It was very nearly the only game I played at all before I turned 30 and still fascinates me. I'm really impressed by how closely they've matched the real time render to the old stills. It looks exactly as I remember it. The materials, light, and render quality are such a close match.

Kale posted:

Without getting too deep into it in this thread is it getting worse right now like America, mostly staying the same or abating even slightly? Admittedly I've been kind of fascinated about the topic since hearing that South Korea somehow narrowly edged America as the culture war capital of the world in some index of polarization by like a percentage point or so. It's just hard for me to imagine it being more severe anywhere in the world than 2024 America.

I think it takes a very different form here and I only observe America through media, so it's a bit hard to compare... but I haven't seen any changes in the division, no. It remains extremely polarized and much of the time the split is cleanly between genders.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ulio posted:

Ya I would say Sekiro still has the best parry mechanic but I did like the ki system of Wulong which added a nice twist to Sekiro's posture system.
Sekiro's emblem system for special moves/tools was really bad. In Wulong you can gain positive posture which you can't in Sekiro, you can spend that posture to do special attacks and spells.

Limiting your special moves in Sekiro behind a limited resource was a bad idea, I know they later patched it to make it easier to get emblems.

But that's just a minor gripe, Sekiro imo is still one of the best games of all time, it still has the best array of boss fights in any game imo. The first time fighting the Guardian Ape then fighting him with his wife, loving poo poo was crazy.

I really need to play Sekiro again. I never really adjusted to the game. Around Guardian Ape for about 10 hours things really clicked and I enjoyed myself immensely but before and after I really struggled with things. I was thinking about doing so after I'm done with Rise of the Ronin. Game's fantastic, by the way. I highly recommend that game to anyone who wants a game with really solid combat, a cozy open world, a decent story with great characters and the best character customization system I've ever seen in a video game. I can't praise that game high enough and will cheerlead it until gets a higher playerbase!

I like it so much I even made a thread for it!

Bugblatter posted:

Yep. They're called liberals.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bugblatter posted:

lmao, oh sweet child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni