Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kale posted:

as we're not gonna get those far right weirdos here at least.

Been to D&D lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

lmao, oh sweet child

Okay okay, was it an intelligent thing to say?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Okay okay, was it an intelligent thing to say?

I lOVE Pizza I love Donimos! 3====D~~~~(o)(o)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I lOVE Pizza I love Donimos! 3====D~~~~(o)(o)

Lol… what? Am I missing a reference or is this just exasperation? Either way, fair.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

-start button, journey, wut? Ranks, opens a menu with submenus. Triumphs? Menu with a fuckton of icons ALL with their own submenu. poo poo hiding all over you might have completed, but must find and click to get your rewards. Seasonal challenges? More menus and submenus.

- big button. "Director" Quests. The most unintuitive quest menu youve ever seen in your life. "Season 23" oh theres the battlepass, youve unlocked stuff there, because youve been playing for hours and never noticed, well there it is. Store? Thats for lifers, no need to open. Map, Destinys famously hard to parse map, move your virtual mouse cursor around to see a bunch of weird poo poo. Portals to strange activities. Destinations screen, love it, move your slow cursor over planets, icons, all kinds of stuff here.

THIS ALL SUUUUCKS.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

It’s kind of fascinating how awful destiny is.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

But once you get to the gameplay, youre jumping and gliding, firing off powers, shooting one of a massive variety of satisfying guns, its an absolute delight.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I want that in a game that has none of the other stuff destiny has in it

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Well, we can dream.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You cannot convince me ever to play destiny again, Bungie is incapable of learning any lessons whatsoever. Lightfall was a steaming turd

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Destiny 2 was a better game. If they would have just put all of the Destiny 1 & 2 story campaigns into the game, and you just played them in order, it would have been perfect. I am looking forward to starting over again with Destiny 3, assuming Bungie has learned their lessons (lol).

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Now that we're talking about it, I can't clearly recall a single boss and have only a murky memory of actual levels in Destiny. I can clearly recall a lot of awful menus and the hubs though. I played quite a bunch of the freely available stuff through PS+ too. The core shooting and movement does feel good, but it sure is buried.

If you're gonna have that many menus you should really be aiming for Atlus style flair and responsiveness for them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
destiny put years of labor and millions of dollars into making itself as uninteresting as possible. a wretched experiment

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Playing through the Halo series for the first time last year definitely left me very bummed at how disappointing everything from Bungie/343 was after Reach. 2, 3, and Reach are just sublime and neither company has been able to recapture it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what happened was that Bungie was like “We’re gonna make Worse Halo like this” and Microsoft was like “No we’ll make Worse Halo like this” so they broke up with each other and both made Worse Halo

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Now that we're talking about it, I can't clearly recall a single boss and have only a murky memory of actual levels in Destiny. I can clearly recall a lot of awful menus and the hubs though. I played quite a bunch of the freely available stuff through PS+ too. The core shooting and movement does feel good, but it sure is buried.

If you're gonna have that many menus you should really be aiming for Atlus style flair and responsiveness for them.

Whether we wanted it or not, we've stepped into a war with the Cabal on Mars

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

boz posted:

Lol but also Rip.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kefa posted:

Yeah I barely used the abilities or tools in Sekiro for that reason. Even though in NG+7 it was probably very easy to get the emblems.

Wolong was great. It had issues but I’m a bit surprised it wasn’t received well at all.

I think on launch the weapons had no passive abilities so other than reach + attack speed they didn't have much different. The martial art were also way similar in terms of use than say the Ashes of War in ER or Weapon arts in ds3.
So Wulong had some issues as well but I do think the overall combat mechanics were better thought than Sekiro but the regular enemies + bosses were not at Sekiro's level. I do think it had good bosses but the regular enemy variety was lacking.

Ya I don't know how it did but it was one of my favorite games of last year just for the combat and few really memorable bosses. Team Ninja's last 3 games Rise of Ronin, Wulong and Stranger of Paradise are all flawed gems.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

If they ever make a Destiny 3 they need to keep the aesthetic, the actual gameplay, and the bare bones of a story and scrap literally everything else, build the entire structure of the game fresh.

Not holding my breath.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Indie retro shooters are slowly chugging through time. They started at Doom and are now at late 90s immersive sims and Half-Likes. Halo likes should be on the horizon…

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

boz posted:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I liked the part of Destiny 1 where you're fighting through abandoned Vietnamese-style hotels on Venus(?), I think this is also early enough in the plot that you still feel like it's going somewhere instead of realizing it's just gonna spin its wheels forever

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think Venus had been added fairly recently when I played. The hub looked cool and the hover bikes there were fun... you didn't really have enough space to really use them and they didn't get utilized by proper missions though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AcidCat posted:

If they ever make a Destiny 3 they need to keep the aesthetic, the actual gameplay, and the bare bones of a story and scrap literally everything else, build the entire structure of the game fresh.

Not holding my breath.

Thinking about how Destiny could have been amazing had it not been live service.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Played a little bit of Eiyuden Chronicle yesterday and this morning :)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

They just did it in the worst way possible. So many menus. No matchmaking. Bloated hubs.

If it was like Helldivers and you just jumped directly into missions from a manageable hub and had matchmaking, it would have been less tedious.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jimbot posted:

I really need to play Sekiro again. I never really adjusted to the game. Around Guardian Ape for about 10 hours things really clicked and I enjoyed myself immensely but before and after I really struggled with things.

I‘m only on my second playthrough but I distinctly remember struggling at least until Genichiro which required me step up my game considerably but some things about the combat I haven't realized until the very final boss (for example how important is to keep up constant aggression for the best results).

Playing Sekiro with all that knowledge feels really good and I'm rediscovering just how much I love this game! I hope From does something a bit off the wall like this again in the future.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAgVyfd9qdQ

Never heard of this channel before, but youtube popped their discussion between Koji Fox from FFXVI and John Johanas from HiFi Rush. Creatives from the two biggest CAGs of 23 for an hour and a half. Mostly talking about the writing and localization processes. Pretty interesting chat so far, feel like there's a fair amount of people here who'd be interested.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oxxidation posted:

destiny put years of labor and millions of dollars into making itself as uninteresting as possible. a wretched experiment
I think this is a good summary of that franchise, yeah.

The whole thing feels so generic.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

Thinking about how Destiny could have been amazing had it not been live service.

It needed to either be a proper solo FPS campaign with a multiplayer component like Halo or it needed to commit to being an MMO with all the poo poo that entails but at least with decently functional multiplayer dungeon systems.

Going halfway between them was both revolutionary at the time and also a terrible idea that hosed the industry for a decade.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Destiny was never that interesting to me (a refined ARPG enjoyer) because the interaction between loot and class was uninteresting. Your gun shoot 11% faster, you can use your 1 class ability 4% more often. Boring! Millions of people thought this was good.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s because bungie make very satisfying fps mechanics they just keep putting them in poo poo games now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Destiny art direction never did anything for me. Looks like doodoo so I never even considered firing it up.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I bought a ps4 for Destiny 1

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Destiny was the most disappointing game I have played in my entire life.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

I said come in! posted:

I wish Destiny 2 was a better game. If they would have just put all of the Destiny 1 & 2 story campaigns into the game, and you just played them in order, it would have been perfect. I am looking forward to starting over again with Destiny 3, assuming Bungie has learned their lessons (lol).

Sounds like you haven't.

(just kidding I will probably get it too)

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I bought a ps4 for Destiny 1

Same! The actual gameplay was just so much fun and the weapons and supers felt so good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The "climax" of Destiny 1 was pretty shocking. Shooting at a floating black blob that doesn't move or fight back for reasons the game doesn't bother telling you unless you read a bunch of trading cards on the Bungie website.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Destiny art direction never did anything for me. Looks like doodoo so I never even considered firing it up.

The original concept art was sick as hell though. It's proving hard to dig up for me atm, but they were clearly going for a vibe that didn't actually make it's way into the game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
That looks like Helldivers.

I havent played Helldivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

Destiny was the most disappointing game I have played in my entire life.

Brother, I preordered Anthem. That did have sick robot animations, though. Destiny og had Peter Dinklage sleep walking through his line reads as your companion. I wonder how much money they spent on him lol