Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Grumbles posted:

edit: Someone shared this in the previous thread, but the new image cut-out feature - how do you save those as transparent PNGS for use elsewhere? It kind of sucks that outside of iMessage it gets a white BG. I'm in the UK, so very few people I know use iMessage on the reg - it's all WhatsApp here.

Unless it's changed recently, WhatsApp sends everything as jpegs. Maybe they'll change it now that the cut-outs are a thing?

A way around it, I assume (I haven't tried yet) would be to use a third-party WhatsApp 'sticker creator' which would then let you send the cut-outs as stickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think the PC is just to give it a bit more sturdiness. I've dropped this many times and it's fine. Can take a beating. And they are cheap to replace if it gets bad. A long time ago I bought a white Apple one and it went to poo poo in the same amount of time (the silicone does start coming off) and thankfully found these instead of dropping more cash.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

It’s steel dude. Same reason why 9/11 was an inside job.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

101 posted:

Unless it's changed recently, WhatsApp sends everything as jpegs. Maybe they'll change it now that the cut-outs are a thing?

A way around it, I assume (I haven't tried yet) would be to use a third-party WhatsApp 'sticker creator' which would then let you send the cut-outs as stickers.

Yes, that's what I've been doing. But the issue is with iOS' cut out feature that it doesn't automatically save things with a transparent background but a white one. People were running into the issue in the previous iPhone thread when they were posting pictures of their pets, and someone listed a quick fix which I can't find.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s steel dude. Same reason why 9/11 was an inside job.

:hmmyes:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

doingitwrong posted:

Apple Care + is my case.

When I upgraded to the 13 Pro, I managed to smash my trade-in phone while waiting for the pre-order to arrive. One quick support ticket later, I was mailing back a pristine replacement that I’d held for 3 days.
I've had AppleCare+ on my 12 Pro Max since I got it. Should I go caseless? It looks so pretty caseless but it feels so exposed without one :ohdear:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have a toddler. A case and Applecare + is a prudent investment because a stray Lego block on the floor will gently caress up a phone falling screen first on it just as surely as it hosed up your foot to cause you to drop that phone. Case cuts the risk in half, AppleCare takes care of the rest.

Danish caltrops I swear.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there a case that makes the back of the phone completely flat? Even the ones that are thicker than the camera bump still have a little lip around the camera hole that makes the back not totally flat.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there a case that makes the back of the phone completely flat? Even the ones that are thicker than the camera bump still have a little lip around the camera hole that makes the back not totally flat.

The Merkury case for my 11 is flat on the back (.2-.5mm above the cameras), but the iPhone 11 has a lower profile camera bump, compared to the new poo poo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

101 posted:

I don't personally like using leather things
Well you're in luck, the Apple leather case barely qualifies as leather.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Isn't it "vegan leather", so really it's cellulose and plastic?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Yes, that's what I've been doing. But the issue is with iOS' cut out feature that it doesn't automatically save things with a transparent background but a white one. People were running into the issue in the previous iPhone thread when they were posting pictures of their pets, and someone listed a quick fix which I can't find.

It’s not Apple, it’s that places like WhatsApp, Discord and Imgur compress the image and remove transparency.

The fix was to upload it to someplace like Dropbox that doesn’t mess with the images.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 15, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My main use case for the cutout tool is Discord, which was initially showing the white background and I assumed it was just an automatic jpeg compression inherent with the way the app handled images, but someone suggested deleting and reinstalling Discord which worked perfectly. Now all my cat pics are transparent no matter where I post them.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mister Facetious posted:

No, it isn't which feels weird considering the ethos Apple usually tries to puts across

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

American McGay posted:

My main use case for the cutout tool is Discord, which was initially showing the white background and I assumed it was just an automatic jpeg compression inherent with the way the app handled images, but someone suggested deleting and reinstalling Discord which worked perfectly. Now all my cat pics are transparent no matter where I post them.

Reinstalling just now worked for me as well; now i can just copy and paste directly instead of jumping through the share menus.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FCKGW posted:

It’s not Apple, it’s that places like WhatsApp, Discord and Imgur compress the image and remove transparency.

The fix was to upload it to someplace like Dropbox that doesn’t mess with the images.

I don't mean to be pendantic but I'm also going to be pendantic - I'd been saving the cutout to Apple photos, which seems to remove the transparency. Same if you save to Files (although Files also then has a tool that lets you make it transparent again... and export back to photos). So it is Apple being Apple.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It even sorta does multiple objects in an image

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol

It's definitely doing some AI object scanning and not just basic edge detection. If you've got a pic with multiple people it will grab them both even though they're not near each other.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes it's all "seesh I don't know what's going on here, does this work for you?"

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

American McGay posted:

lol

It's definitely doing some AI object scanning and not just basic edge detection. If you've got a pic with multiple people it will grab them both even though they're not near each other.

That’s a five-bagger.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I want to preface this by saying two things:

1) I have no idea what their cases are made out of

2) I've had a case from them for years across multiple phones and have never broken anything despite dropping it all the time

But cases from Sonix (or at least the one I have on my iPhone 11 right now) are totally flat across the back.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

On every other leather case I’ve tried the buttons are mushy as poo poo, no one seems to make nice metal buttons to go with the leather cases so it’s Apple cases for life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

No it's real leather, at least in so far as it's made of tanned animal hide. It's just ridiculously cheap and thin it may as well not be.

quote:

This case is made with high-quality, supple leather to protect your iPhone. Leather is a natural material and, like a fine leather belt, it may show creases, marks or a patina over time.

101 posted:

No, it isn't which feels weird considering the ethos Apple usually tries to puts across
Ehhhh. Almost all leathers* are byproducts of other industries, so it's not exactly like they're paying someone to go out and murder cows to make leather, and unlike other industries, there's nothing really to reduce other than perhaps the use of certain tanning chemicals.

*To my knowledge alligator is the only animal slaughtered explicitly for its skin.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I like the Bullstrap cases if you need something that’s not Apple. They cost like $90 which is pretty nuts imo.

I find the Apple ones okay but with the newer ones I find that the leather kinda gets sticky or weird or something after a while. I don’t remember this being a thing with the leather cases on the 11 and earlier.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do I make sense of the “Maximum Capacity” readout on the Battery Health setting page?

My XR reads 85%. Does that mean, all things being equal, my phone has 15% shorter battery life against another XR with a new battery if they’re performing the same battery drain benchmark?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It is extremely lol that people will pay 4 figures for a phone and then balk at spending more than £30 for something to protect that 4 figgy device.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Most people I know are trading in their current iPhone for the new model for $200~.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

It is extremely lol that people will pay 4 figures for a phone and then balk at spending more than £30 for something to protect that 4 figgy device.

Man, if I could play some of my daily calls to all of you. Tbf, most people are normal, but man are there some crazy people out there.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I actually have a disgusting addiction to buying cases. I have a ton for the 13 Pro :)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

buglord posted:

How do I make sense of the “Maximum Capacity” readout on the Battery Health setting page?

My XR reads 85%. Does that mean, all things being equal, my phone has 15% shorter battery life against another XR with a new battery if they’re performing the same battery drain benchmark?

Nope! It’s not linear, it follows its own weird battery magic science. Typically people find iPhone batteries useless in the low 80s.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Soul Glo posted:

Nope! It’s not linear, it follows its own weird battery magic science. Typically people find iPhone batteries useless in the low 80s.
Define people.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Soul Glo posted:

For a long time I thought it was linear, but Apple’s definition of a battery being “consumed” at 80% felt a little odd to me, so I’m glad I asked. My battery has seemed less robust this year, the degradation felt more than “15%”.

The real question now is whether I replace my battery now or soldier on until Fall 2023 to replace the entire phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

For a long time I thought it was linear, but Apple’s definition of a battery being “consumed” at 80% felt a little odd to me, so I’m glad I asked. My battery has seemed less robust this year, the degradation felt more than “15%”.

The real question now is whether I replace my battery now or soldier on until Fall 2023 to replace the entire phone.

If you’re at 85% you will be going nuts by next year. I would replace the battery.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

American McGay posted:

Define people.

No

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

85% is really low considering the phone starts at 100%... How long does it take to get to that number?

I think my iPhone was 90-something before I reset it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

ThermoPhysical posted:

85% is really low considering the phone starts at 100%... How long does it take to get to that number?

I think my iPhone was 90-something before I reset it.

I mean I’ve had this XR since launch day. Sept 2018. And I’ve used it extensively each day because I’m a little goon.

If I replace the battery, does it help at all with resale value? I figure Apple doesn’t care as long as the phone turns on and the glass isn’t cracked. Would I have luck on Swappa next year? Or sell it on Craigslist (while wearing a stab resistant vest)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple won't care about battery percentage but any random buyer on swappa will.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Bummed about the camera reviews compared to the 13 Pro. I upgrade solely for camera and it just doesn’t feel worth it this year given other new features are pretty meh. Better but not really moving the needle like the 13 did. Cancelled my preorder. Still have 100% on battery health and I’ll just save the scratch this year.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cozmosis posted:

Bummed about the camera reviews compared to the 13 Pro. I upgrade solely for camera and it just doesn’t feel worth it this year given other new features are pretty meh. Better but not really moving the needle like the 13 did. Cancelled my preorder. Still have 100% on battery health and I’ll just save the scratch this year.

I agree with you but am on the fence about upgrading to 14 Pro from 13 Pro. I am on iPhone Upgrade Program :v: so that is a factor

Seeing in the reviews (particularly MKBHD's as usual excellent review) the Always On Screen is hilariously bright, and there is (currently) no way to adjust the brightness, only an on/off toggle. I guess I am going to make fun of anyone's phone I see on a table or whatever in the coming years with that turned on, at least in my head, though I imagine at some point they will add the feature to adjust, maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdLShOCvVeM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Okay, the new Lock Screen is great, but can someone explain the difference between ‘duotone’ and ‘colour wash’ because both filters seem identical?