Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I can't answer your question but I will always always find funny that Lock Screen is capitalized now

e: :page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I fire up the pc to post in the iphone thread now, so I can type lock screen without capitalization.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s steel dude. Same reason why 9/11 was an inside job.

SS is the hardest material you're likely to come in contact with day to day. It's not beyond comprehension that a SS band will be much less scratched up than a Al one after going caseless for the same amount of time. My Pro may be covered with fingerprints but does not have a single scratch on it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Inner Light posted:

I agree with you but am on the fence about upgrading to 14 Pro from 13 Pro. I am on iPhone Upgrade Program :v: so that is a factor

Seeing in the reviews (particularly MKBHD's as usual excellent review) the Always On Screen is hilariously bright, and there is (currently) no way to adjust the brightness, only an on/off toggle. I guess I am going to make fun of anyone's phone I see on a table or whatever in the coming years with that turned on, at least in my head, though I imagine at some point they will add the feature to adjust, maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdLShOCvVeM

Why have always on display when you a:) might have an Apple Watch,
Or
B:) since you have to take it out of your pocket to see it anyway, just use tap to wake, and that way it won't be constantly wasting battery life in your pocket

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Cozmosis posted:

Bummed about the camera reviews compared to the 13 Pro. I upgrade solely for camera and it just doesn’t feel worth it this year given other new features are pretty meh. Better but not really moving the needle like the 13 did. Cancelled my preorder. Still have 100% on battery health and I’ll just save the scratch this year.

I have a 13 Pro and cancelled my 14 Pro preorder. Obviously there's zero "need" for anyone with a 13 to upgrade to a 14, but I actually did upgrade from a 12 Pro to 13 Pro last year (typically I'd wait 2-3 years between phones) and that felt worth it. This year it doesn't feel like I'd be getting my $400 worth. Fingers crossed for USB-C next year.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mister Facetious posted:

B:) since you have to take it out of your pocket to see it anyway, just use tap to wake, and that way it won't be constantly wasting battery life in your pocket

The always-on display turns off if it's in your pocket, face down, or detects you've moved far enough away when wearing an Apple Watch

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

101 posted:

The always-on display turns off if it's in your pocket, face down, or detects you've moved far enough away when wearing an Apple Watch

Fair enough, i just don't see the point of having it on if you keep your phone in your pocket since you can just tap the screen.
And if you have it on a desk, your job probably pays you enough to have an Apple Watch so you don't need it on there, either. :-/

Honestly it just seems to bea solution in search of a problem.

Can you activate Siri with the always on display? Cause that'd be great for setting timers in the kitchen.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 16, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Mister Facetious posted:

Why have always on display when you a:) might have an Apple Watch,
Or

While I agree with you in principle, this is the internet so I need to correct you and argue with you, if its proximity sensor is triggered (in a pocket) Always On Screen won't be on.

(though I am also curious if you can have the 1 Hz screen continue to update while the proximity sensor is triggered without jailbreaking, I imagine the answer is no)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Okay, the new Lock Screen is great, but can someone explain the difference between ‘duotone’ and ‘colour wash’ because both filters seem identical?

Duotone is, as the name suggest, two complementary colors. Color wash is a single color in different intensities. If you're not colorblind, the difference should be pretty apparent if you pick the same tone in the (...) menu.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You can just turn it off but it’s a good feature for those of us who phones on our desks or elsewhere.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So people on Reddit are indecisive (shocker...) about the camera on the 14 Pros. They keep going on and on about an oil painting effect on iPhone photos. I checked some of my 13PM photos and yeah, they do have it...if you zoom in really, REALLY close. But so does the Pixel 6 Pro's photos if you zoom in super close.

Has anyone else experienced it as bad as others say or are my eyes just being stupid again and can't tell? I wouldn't be surprised if it was me, my eyes are a tad awful. :v:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Can't see the photo for the pixels

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The new Space Black is still grey, but it's definitely darker than last year.
The band is much, much darker, more like iPhone 5. Looks great!
Light Blue and Mauve looked pretty bad in the store to me, but more power to anyone who gets one, I wish I could get away with that.
The camera wart is actually more stable since it's wider and extends basically past the middle of the device.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

maybe they stopped making the mini because the camera bump would have looked loving stupid

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Speaking of cameras and looking stupid, I wish they would take the entire camera area and replace it with a single giant lens and a similarly huge sensor. It’d look dumb, but it already does and I feel like *that* would be an actual leap forward in cell phone camera tech.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want a line with a single small camera that sits flush with the body, SE style. But a big phone. With all the other pro stuff.

I might be in a very small demographic though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Weedle posted:

maybe they stopped making the mini because the camera bump would have looked loving stupid

lmao I still remember when people were throwing an absolute poo poo fit over the tiny 1mm ring around the 6 camera and how it ruined the phone because it could no longer sit flat on a table.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm wary of always on lock screen. They introduced that feature with the Galaxy S8 and I could see burn in after a few months. I know display tech has changed a lot since then but still.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

vote_no posted:

Speaking of cameras and looking stupid, I wish they would take the entire camera area and replace it with a single giant lens and a similarly huge sensor. It’d look dumb, but it already does and I feel like *that* would be an actual leap forward in cell phone camera tech.

Nokia and i think Sony have already tried this.

- Nokia 1020
- Xiaomi 12s Ultra
- Leica Leitz 1
- Sharp Aquos R6

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 16, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

American McGay posted:

lmao I still remember when people were throwing an absolute poo poo fit over the tiny 1mm ring around the 6 camera and how it ruined the phone because it could no longer sit flat on a table.

the horror

the horror

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Imagine getting any color other than the vaguely fun color of the year

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Endless Mike posted:

speaking as an alpine green 13pro owner I

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
iOS 16 problem: since updating, playing an album in my library results in the second track being skipped. Am I missing something?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

vote_no posted:

you will get a matrix of cameras, 7 across and 18 rows down

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
16.1 beta allows battery percentage on mini phones

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/09/14/everything-new-ios-16-1-beta-1/

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Real heads wait for the mid year refresh. Green is the pro color, however. 11 PRO and 13 PRO had really nice greens.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

incoherent posted:

Real heads wait for the mid year refresh. Green is the pro color, however. 11 PRO and 13 PRO had really nice greens.

I want something lighter that evokes Spring time, like the iPad Air 4, or Huawei P10 Plus.

Instant purchase for me. Until then, I'll keep my iPhone 11.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a way to unreport a text message as spam. I just accidentally did it and didn’t mean to.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a way to unreport a text message as spam. I just accidentally did it and didn’t mean to.

Don't worry, it is fine.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

ThermoPhysical posted:

So people on Reddit are indecisive (shocker...) about the camera on the 14 Pros. They keep going on and on about an oil painting effect on iPhone photos. I checked some of my 13PM photos and yeah, they do have it...if you zoom in really, REALLY close. But so does the Pixel 6 Pro's photos if you zoom in super close.

Has anyone else experienced it as bad as others say or are my eyes just being stupid again and can't tell? I wouldn't be surprised if it was me, my eyes are a tad awful. :v:

Reddit is getting weird about night photos now. There’s a comparison between a pixel 6 and and a 14 something, and people are falling head over heels for the oversaturated colours on the pixel shot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My 14 Pro just arrived. The camera block in comparison to the one of my 12 Pro is comically huge, when in direct comparison.

Kerbtree posted:

Reddit is getting weird about night photos now. There’s a comparison between a pixel 6 and and a 14 something, and people are falling head over heels for the oversaturated colours on the pixel shot.
I've seen that yesterday. It's a mixed bag. The iPhone colors are IMO better, but the Pixel deals better with image detail, see the windows on the skyscrapers.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Duotone is, as the name suggest, two complementary colors. Color wash is a single color in different intensities. If you're not colorblind, the difference should be pretty apparent if you pick the same tone in the (...) menu.

I'm not colourblind, and both are just one colour! And the base image I'm using is very vibrant with lots of different colours.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Because the screen goes around the pill, to me visually, it gives the impression the screen's larger than with the notch. Some optical illusion kind of thing. Both my old and new iPhone are 6.1".

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Combat Pretzel posted:

Because the screen goes around the pill, to me visually, it gives the impression the screen's larger than with the notch. Some optical illusion kind of thing. Both my old and new iPhone are 6.1".

The screen is actually a few pixels bigger and has a narrower bezel, but it's so slight that it's probably not that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FCKGW posted:

the horror

the horror

Still literally me today

It took months before someone finally came out with a 13 Pro case that would make it lie flat so I could put it on the freaking charger

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I was ready to continue my two yearly cycle and go for the 14 pro from a 12 but nah. My s3 watch sucks so I replaced that with the new SE and I'll get the 15 pro next year with usbc and touchID in the screen/lock button and 165hz display and optical zoom.

On a more serious note it seems like the chip shortage might have had something to do with the only incremental performance upgrades this year?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

I was ready to continue my two yearly cycle and go for the 14 pro from a 12 but nah. My s3 watch sucks so I replaced that with the new SE and I'll get the 15 pro next year with usbc and touchID in the screen/lock button and 165hz display and optical zoom.

On a more serious note it seems like the chip shortage might have had something to do with the only incremental performance upgrades this year?

You never know, but apple pumps so much money into it that they get whatever priority access to chips, so I doubt it.

It’s probably more cost savings + running out of poo poo to add to the phones because they already do everything.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I guess I don’t know what people expect to consider this a big release, new body? They’ve upped all the spec, changed the screen (a big deal), and dramatically changed the UI around it. There’s just not much more for them to do outside of really gimmicky sensor / AR stuff and imo next year will be more of a S year as they might focus on getting the dynamic island to non pro models.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s probably more cost savings + running out of poo poo to add to the phones because they already do everything.
I think that is most likely what it is. Other than some tweaks to the camera, and a slight bump in performance - there is not much that is going to change year to year, so you wouldn't go all out on creating the fastest chips you can, when yours are already the fastest, and another small gain is going to make up half the reason to get next year's upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’m a yearly updater for some dumb rear end reason but when I did the update from 12 mini to 13 Pro I got in on athree year deal with ATT so I’m stuck till the 16 and honestly, I’m kinda looking forward to seeing if anything cool happens by then.

The iLand is neat but I’m not super into it right now. I feel like the 13 Pro does what I need it to do and the ProMotion was really the last big thing I wanted at this point I think.