Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Roach Warehouse posted:

I started Eureka last night, and I can’t believe they hid some guild wars 2 this far into the game.

Eureka's an interesting thing to come across as someone brand new, since the current implementation is a far cry from what it was on launch. The intention back then was to recapture the spirit of older MMOs like FFXI: soloing was very slow and difficult and not especially rewarding, mounting required zone progression, and dying ate a huge chunk of your EXP bar for how long it took to grind it up. Grouping up with other people to camp specific spots was therefore almost mandatory to get through it at a reasonable clip, and a large amount of intrazone cooperation for things like spawning Notorious Monsters was necessary. It's almost completely soloable nowadays and much easier to progress through, so if you see people complaining about how much they dislike Eureka, it's likely from the experience they had with it back in Stormblood.

There's another zone similar to it further down the line in Shadowbringers, although it was designed from the start to be more friendly to casual and solo play, so opinions tend to be more neutral on it. I liked both for what they were, but I'm glad that they're both broadly accessible for new players to enjoy now that they're no longer current content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

wtf how have i never heard of Eureka before. this looks rad

It's rather innocuous side content that's hard to stumble across if you're not looking for it directly, especially since it doesn't tend to draw huge crowds nowadays. There's still usually a good bunch of people trawling around the zones, but it's definitely not something most players are going to know about if they don't already.

Schwartzcough posted:

Seems like Eureka has very little incentive to do it outside of, I guess, the Stormblood legendary weapon stuff, and a few minions or whatever. You don't get carry-over EXP for all the work you put in.

It's got some cool-looking relics, dyeable Stormblood Artifact armor, and several role specific sets of unique-looking armor. It's mostly a casual side thing that you level slowly via the Challenge Log and the occasional group, but it's worth it if you want some otherwise excellent fashion bits.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vitamean posted:

at some point (I think in 4.1?) they changed the glamour prism unlock quest from a level 50 quest in revenant's toll to a level 15 quest in central thanalan, from the same npc that you unlock dyes from. you can pick up the quest on any class - the npc also offers a 3rd quest for level 15 crafters to teach them how to craft glamour prisms (finish the quest if you want, but it's generally inefficient to craft prisms from scratch).

IIRC, there's still a quest in Revenant's Toll that'll unlock it at 15, which can be handy if you started in Gridania and can't reach Thanalan yet due to MSQ gating. It's admittedly a bit of a harrowing jaunt to Mor Dhona, but it's worth it if it means fewer subligar hours.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

Early-game glamour tip: if you have MB access, the Peacelover's Attire coffer is fairly cheap and will give you a pair of pretty good-looking ripped jeans to cover your subligars, as well as some other hippy-ish stuff. The Hraesvelgr attire coffers might also be cheap now, too, and is more classically fantasy if you like that.

Most of the "Anemos" items are also dirt cheap, and include things like suspenders and a cool leather jacket.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

Hit 50 on my warrior and I was met with a message essentially saying "If you want more abilities, you need to buy the expansions". Sooooo yeah. Is it worth continue leveling at this point or should I start to level my alt classes?

You should be able to access Heavensward abilities (level 51-60) if you're on the free trial, as it comes as part of the base free trial experience now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The categories used for actions are Weaponskills, Spells, and Abilities. Weaponskills and Spells are bound to the GCD, while Abilities are not. If something says that it affects "spells" or "weapon skills," it won't affect Abilities; if it says it affects "actions," then it will affect anything relevant that you can do in combat.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why do some fate's seem to fail after about a minute even if there's still like 30 minutes remaining in the actual timer?

Some FATEs have specific conditions like defending a series of objects or keeping a certain NPC alive, and the FATE will end automatically if those objectives aren't met.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is the idea to just sort of participate in the larger economy and buy and sell within that and not so much craft for your own direct use?

More or less, yes. You can make things that are useful to you, but usually not as a first time through thing; I often make HQ leveling sets for myself for new jobs I'm leveling up, for example. Once you get to max level, it's also often a lot cheaper (if more time consuming) to mass craft your own potions and foods for raiding if you're into that sort of thing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

Every month I've bought I've done one at a time and immediately canceled sub after buying. They aren't gonna hit me for any accidental payments, no sir.

I've been playing this game for 10 years and I've done the exact same thing by only doing 30-day Steam plans. Even if I'm confident I'm gonna keep playing, I've burned myself a few too many times before leaving subscriptions out to rot in the sun and cost me a couple nice meals worth of cash.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

so I have some maps

what do I need to do to get maps groups going and do I need a group at all

Each expansion (aside from ARR, which has a weird multi-tier system) has two different types of maps: solo maps and full party (8 person) maps, with the recommended number being at the bottom of the map's description. Solo maps can be easily completed by yourself, although generally only materials from past maps (especially Gliderskin maps from ShB due several mats being used in popular glams) actually sell well. 8 person maps from the current expansion do require a full party. You can use the Party Finder to either create your own party, or join an existing party.

The only thing to take note of otherwise is the looting rules, which vary between data centers and individual parties a lot. On Aether, for example, map parties generally do Need rolls for anything that drops from standard chests for whoever the owner of the map is, and then have anything in the portal be free game for anyone to roll on. This is generally done to discourage people who join with no maps of their own and just try to leech from other peoples' chests, but preferences vary, so it's good to check with whoever's running the PF what their rules are, or specify it in your description if you're starting a party up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

Someone in a Ridorana run said they can only hear the one Yiazmat line as AGONY... AND SYRUP! and now I can't unhear it either

AGONY AND SBARRO'S

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Most the basic tank cuirasses and the Cobalt-plated Jackboots are good for certain types of understated glams, too. I think they'll especially shine once dual dye channels are introduced, though whether they'll be propagated to ARR stuff first is another question.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think the question is about using Twin Snakes over True Strike for your Raptor -> Coeurl link. You certainly can do that, but keep in mind that you're using your Raptor combo actions constantly throughout a fight, and that small potency difference will add up to hundreds of missed potency over the course of a long enough fight. However, if you're doing the rest of your combos fine, I doubt anyone will care that much outside of Savage raids.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah, like, despite all the talk you might see about optimization on here and elsewhere, what matters outside of Savage/Extreme content for the majority of people is simply putting in some effort to learn the job's rotation and doing your best to execute it. I usually run ACT in dungeons for my own amusement, and the sorts of people who stand out as aggressively not contributing are doing far, far less than 20 fewer potency every combo cycle.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow, these supply missions provide a TON of experience for a crafting class even medium levels. And they barely cost any gil for the resources while getting you a lot of grand company space bucks to boot.

That daily roulette: leveling thing also gets me a whole rear end level for like 10 minutes of play. I think it gave my Level 33 character like 80k bonus exp for completing it.

GC supply's a cheap, low effort way to get crafters/gatherers up, and it's how I got mine to 50 with little issue. You'll eventually be able to access tribal quests for various crafting/gathering oriented tribes that also give a good chunk of EXP per day, so it's a simple way of getting them all to max without having to spend much gil or time compared to stuff like Firmament crafting.

Roulettes are, in general, your best way of leveling up jobs, especially if you don't have access to ultra fast queues for popular roles like tank. Leveling is the big one, but Main Scenario Quest roulette and Alliance Raid roulette will also give a big chunk once you unlock them at level 50. The Challenge Log is also a good and mostly overlooked boost: you'll be doing most of the big EXP granters anyways (handing out commendations, doing FATEs, etc.), and it can easily get you a couple levels worth of EXP if you're thorough in completing them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I do recommend checking out the tribal quests for crafters/gatherers once you get there even if you mainly level via GC, since the majority have very charming storylines and are easy to plow through even with suboptimal gear.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Red Mage is one of the simpler DPS jobs to glom despite its outward-facing complexity: you use one of your fast casting spells to gain the Dualcast buff, which then lets you cast one of the slower casting spells instantly, alternating between White and Black spell schools to keep the two bars in balance. Once both bars are sufficiently high, you can execute your melee combo to reset your bars and repeat. It's a very straightforwards rotation once you get the hang of it, which may or may not be to your liking depending on how much complexity you like in your gameplay.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

I assume they've been adding duty support because their market research shows there are a load of FF fans who haven't tried XIV because they don't want to play an MMO, and this can get them sucked in. So probably if they have some numbers suggesting that the start is a significant barrier they might look harder at how to improve it.

More broadly, I believe SE is concerned over the accessibility of mainline titles as time goes on. While there's no immediate concern over FFXIV getting shut down, it's probable the servers will go dark at some point, and I think the idea of people not being able to play a mainline FF game doesn't sit well with management. Making the game available solely as a singleplayer experience benefits both immediate onboarding and futureproofing the title so that people can still enjoy it 20 years in the future.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bird. posted:

Setting gridania to clear skies 2AM permanently via crimes makes the Shaded Bower the prettiest most chill relaxing market board and summoning bell to hang out at. Night gridania with it's very warm lamp lights is very midsummer

Gridania's a genuinely beautiful city to hang out in. Shaded Bower's got that perfect late night sleepy cafe vibe, especially when it's raining, and the aetheryte on most servers has a good mix of traffic without ever feeling overcrowded.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Polderjoch posted:

i just made it past the aery in the churning mist and holy gently caress do these side quests ever end. i literally counted 40 in my quest log and they just each keep spawning like 4 quests more
like they're actually fairly interesting getting specific divisions on which parts of the islands belong to which brood is cool but jesus there's just so many it's hilarious

Also that said man people were not lying Heavensward is such an insane step up over ARR in like every sense imaginable it's insane. All the maps have been really cool as well, the scale and the way you progress through them feels incredibly cool. Except for the Sea of Clouds doing poo poo there is annoying as gently caress

Their quest structure for a long time operated under the assumption that you'd be breaking from the MSQ in each zone to do a good chunk of the sidequests to hit the level gates needed to progress, so the endless Christmas tree of quest markers you get in every new settlement reflects that. They began to move away from that model in Stormblood quite explicitly, and Shadowbringers and Endwalker both assume that you're only doing the MSQ and, like, a couple of roulettes to get all the EXP you need, with the sidequests there purely for Aether Currents and flavor. I'm sure the adjusted EXP numbers make the huge number of sidequests seem bizarre, but you really had to clear out a good chunk of those fuckers to proceed or, if you were me, spam the same dungeon like 10 times in a row to get past them.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

One thing to note about the event is that the FATE grinding encourages people to blitz through them as fast as possible, and Blue Mage especially can tear through lower level ones, so it's best to join up with a dedicated group in specific zones rather than trying to do it solo.