Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Yes. You need a job stone equipped, you can't be a class. In this example, you have to be a Scholar or a Summoner, but not an Arcanist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

S.J. posted:

That reminds me I need to just run through a few more squadron missions to help level up my WMH anyways and I haven't unlocked the pushup or stretch emotes yet.

IIRC you need to finish 10 unique dungeons, and it'll just appear in your emotes.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Relyssa posted:

I still cannot for the life of me remember any of Ozma's mechanics

Triangle get out of the middle, square go in.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Picayune posted:

And the lv. 80 reunion quest feels pretty good, too.

It and 60-70 are the only decent PLD quests.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

how long does maintenance last?

I didn't expect to be anxiously itching to play and be unable to :negative:

It depends on what the maintenance is doing, usually it's like 4 hours or so, but if all goes well the game is coming back up in 14 minutes as of this posting.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I met the famous Math Bot and have come to the conclusion that none of the bosses in the lighthouse feel good to fight.

I love fighting Yiazmat because his VA chews the scenery.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Offkorn posted:

Unless you're doing current-tier Savage raids, the convenience of combat macros far exceeds any efficiency loss. Especially for classes with 20 instants like Bard, Mech, and Drg; just toss them all on a macro and weave with a single button.

Don't give bad advice, tia.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

S.J. posted:

wait. based on what

it's based on old school MMO design where the goal was to disrespect you and your time with bullshit.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly I don't really remember that much about the Ivalice stuff, why is it held in such poor regard? What about the story turned people off?

Imagine playing a game where there's a sidestory. Said sidestory is utterly completely divorced from what exists in the main story. There is no connective tissue in any direction, at best everyone is charmless to an insane degree, presenting insanely dry and boring rear end lore, and the story drags on roughly thirty hundred times longer than it should, to the point where actively mashing X through the story and skipping everything still takes close to an entire hour because of how completely, impenetrably dense it is.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JHi_iaTcnA

WeskAlber seems competent enough.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Ruzihm posted:

my favorite wall 2 wall pull as a tank or healer is the full wall to wall (and I do mean all the way to the wall :black101:) after the first encounter in the lvl 75 dungeon.

The level 79 dungeon hyper pull from the beginning all the way to just before the first boss. 5 packs :getin:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

I just use a regular GCD AOE on the way and if I lose aggro on anything before I round up the next pack, then it's up to the DPS to pull them into the pack to get scooped back up.

If the dps steal aggro, why, that's just free mitigation.

Unless they die, in which case it's funny.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

My forever minion is the Amaro Hatchling. I love that little bird.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

If I wanted to do Coil of Bahamut just for the story, what would be the easiest way of doing it?

Or should I just watch the cutscenes on youtube.

The simplest way is to throw up a PF and mention you're a sprout and want to watch the cutscenes. It won't take long for you to get a few capped folks who want an easy roughly 1.3k poetics (at most, it's 100 per turn) and some second chance points for dragging a new person through Coils and a bit of cutscene time.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Is there a short and dirty version for leveling all gatherers and crafters? I'm still long way from Endwalker but I'm just looking to make some extra money and kill time. I'm on "recommended" server so I think I have exp boost for all my jobs.

Step 1: From level 1-20 you just craft your entire crafting log, focusing on unique entries to get the first time craft bonuses, and then once you exhaust all of those and you somehow haven't finished this step, just quick synthing big stacks of random stuff.
Step 2: When you can do Ishgardian Restoration (level 20), you do it until you hit 80. You'll probably want to look ahead to see what materials you'll need and prepare for it in some fashion, either through the market board, or just gathering it yourself.
Step 3: You switch to doing Collectibles/leves until level cap.

Intermittently sprinkle in daily GC turn ins, weekly custom deliveries, job quests, and leves to taste. You'll especially want to do your job quests before you hit 80 since that will unlock Manipulation which is insanely vital.

Before level 80, make sure you update your gear every 20 levels (since Ishgardian Restoration's crafts are every 20 levels), and level all of your crafters at once to save on armory chest space.

Once you hit 80, you'll decide on just doing it the slow and cheap way (only doing the level 80 collectibles and leves to cut down on the gear rat race) or the fast and more expensive way (updating your gear whenever you possibly can and crafting the next tier of collectibles and repeating that for every 2 levels basically) or the blazing fast and costliest way (buy the leve materials for the highest level leves you can and just turning those in).

Leveling crafters/gatherers will inevitably cost you a bunch of gil. You can cut down on expenditures in various ways, by trading your time for it. Also crafting has been made much, much more accessible at the cost of horrible elitists being made unhappy. This is good, in general, but it also means you can't really turn crafting into giant fat stacks of money unless you do it slowly (by doing low effort crafting I got myself to about 90 million by the end of Shadowbringers, and I hit 100+ million gillion in Endwalker), or really take advantage of patches to print gil.

NachtSieger fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 11, 2023

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

got an 80 BLM skip since they're on sale and currently turning the summerford dummies into a frozen, flaming pile of splinters. What an interesting resource management job

Am i right on the following points so far

Don't loving move around unless you haaaave to
T3/T4 are your basic single/aoe dots you want to keep ticking if possible
B3/F3 grant/refresh AF/UI but the 4's don't
F4 is your single dps if you don't have resources for bigger hits like xeno/despair at the moment, BUT -
you want to have B4 before that to get hearts
Foul/Xeno are big blaps you want to use at a rate such that you're not wasting polyglot, similar to Phlegma charges on SGE
Flare/Despair are big hits but zero out mana so you must B2/B3 next
Transpose not super used during combat at higher levels, mostly between packs. Probably more useful in low dungeons?
B1 seems useless if youre scaled to 35 or higher as you'll have B3; F1 has that little free-F4 proc but is that a trap or nah?

note that im not looking for a 100% tuned savage ready rotation or anything, just general high level ideas and approaches

1) Keep in mind that Triplecast, Firestarter, Thundercloud, and Xenoglossy are movement tools because they are instant casts. But yes, you should, in general, find places to park your rear end and not move because of your cast speeds.

2) Yes. T3 and T4 deal tremendous damage, over a period of time. Always remember to use Thundercloud as needed to refresh the DoT, or if you have to move, or if it's about to expire. You, generally speaking, have one free GCD to cast during your Fire phase before it all goes to pot.

3) That is correct. B4 grants you Umbral Hearts, and F4 grants you the ability to kill your enemies.

4) Yes, F4 is your main damage skill. Xenoglossy is both burst and movement. Despair is used at the end of your Fire phase when you have at least 800 MP left, because it absorbs all of your MP.

5) Yes.

6) Yes, after Flare/Despair you should immediately switch to your Ice phase to build back MP to kill things.

7) You Transpose at the very end of your Ice phase if you have Firestarter to squeeze out a little bit more damage on the Fire 3 if you really want to, but eventually, yes, Transpose is only used after combat to get into Ice phase to use Umbral Soul.

8) In general B1 is not a spell you use unless things get super bad, at which point you're forced to use it to get into Ice at all if you lack the MP to use B3.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

wait a dang minute

It always said 10000 for me. Is that...because i was out of combat and full and the real MP cost is "everything you got right now"?

Dammit.

I keep learning tho!

Yep. Learning is good.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

level 10 choco slaps pretty decent and will keep a little regen on your idiot rear end. Strongly recommended. it's at least as much damage as a dot ticking

Level your bird with onions.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

quiggy posted:

I wish I had known this when I made my character, I used the random name generator and got a name appropriate for a Xaela Au Ra that I liked, but the last name (Kha) but that exact name was taken, so now I have the last name Ka. Then I got to the Azim Steppe many hours later and learned those are tribes of Xaela and there's no such tribe as the Ka :negative:

Your character could just be from a tribe that got absorbed by another tribe!

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Hellioning posted:

"We're the Ka tribe. Not the Kha tribe, those guy suck. We splintered off of them a while back, we had an argument about pronunciation and spelling."

"So you're from the Kha tribe?"
"No, the Ka tribe."
"That sounded exactly the same."
"I can hear you pronounce the 'h'. It's a very distinct 'h' sound!"

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

While i'd trust her with my life I would not trust Nashu with explosives. Despite this fact she gets her hands on them quite often and easily.

I would not trust Nashu with anything more complicated than opening doors.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

pneuma underwhelms me though, maybe i just havent been in enough content where it's available to find its use.

Zoe Pneuma is like a 1050 potency heal (700 *1.5 = 1050). It's monstrous.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

I know most people hate the goblins, but IMHO Scartoucher McExposition was the weak point of the Alex arc by far

The goblins rule.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Picayune posted:

If I queue up a duty roulette, will it only choose from dungeons/raids/etc. that I have already done, or can it also potentially pick dungeons/raids/etc. which I have unlocked and can theoretically enter at any time, but haven't done yet?

I am woefully behind on alliance raids despite having unlocked most of them and I thought it might be cool to just let the roulette pick which one I do next. Okay, yes, that will end up with me rerunning the Crystal Tower every day. But could it theoretically do otherwise?

If you queue for a duty roulette, it picks any duty you have available and fulfill the requirement for (item level), regardless of whether you've done it or not.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

johnny park posted:

Sure but at that point we had (canonically) defeated the god-king Thordan and all of the transformed Heaven's Ward singlehandedly, so the story had definitely established that the wol was really really really strong. So for Zenos to show up with no foreshadowing and literally just toy with us was a bit jarring imo

"I defeated an impressive sounding enemy, therefore that should be the end of it and no other singular force should be able to challenge me" is an insane loving thought to have imo. Have you ever encountered like, escalation before?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

johnny park posted:

my brother in christ that isn't even remotely what I said lol. I said I don't like that he toys with the wol and that he defeats the wol with minimal effort, not that I dislike that the wol was challenged or defeated period

I love this game but people get SO defensive of it that they literally don't even read lol

I have no idea how your complaint is any materially different from what I said.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Only one good thing came out the the PLD quests, and it's the level 80 quest that doesn't actually feature a character from the PLD quests and instead relies solely on the GLD quest characters.

PLD's job quests suck.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

The tournament arc also didn't include any PLD characters!

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Didn’t level 62 have the Ishgardian guy?

No clue. Maybe? I couldn't tell you because he's such a non-character he could be replaced with a screaming portal to the 13th and that'd have more character or a narrative presence.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Okay we had a chat and went over several of her arguments to Fantasia me and my response:

1. Cutscenes would look much better with a more attractive character. - I like my guy as he is.
2. I made him as a joke to purposefully play as an ugly character - I was actually vaguely trying to make him look like Geralt
3. I'm not taking the game seriously in general - I'm taking it as seriously as any other game. I'm watching the cutscenes, paying attention to the story and trying to play my class well.
4. I just look like an idiot! - Disagree
5. People are going to laugh at my character - I don't care
6. Why wouldn't I want to be hot? - Everyone in this game is anime hot, I like my guy being different.
6. We're going to look silly together - Why do we even HAVE to do relationship stuff in-game?

It's looking like I may be able to dodge becoming a bunnyboy, though the concession is that I will probably have to get a haircut, beard, and cosmetics glow-up.

Honestly, the only way people laugh at characters is if you intentionally wear silly costumes.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Poppers posted:

She’s trying to force fem you OP. Don’t open any suspicious youtube links and stay woke

To add onto this OP, do not visit shady doctors, meet with your GF's friends who are actual wizards, take strange pills or drink strange drinks, wear masks (the whole face kind, not the ones that go over your mouth and nose), open weird programs, look at her phone, or play Bloodborne.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

John Lee posted:

Second, where's a good resource for controller play? I find it way more comfortable, but the settings for manipulating UI are slightly obtuse, so I'd like to get a handle on good practices.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q_i5_X01hecbCOZOIN_71zceuSjWSuaN-OJdU6ZPV6s/edit

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

What's up with her? I haven't heard this bit of drama before. Is she a TERF? Right wing freak? Tech cultist?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

There's no way to do your chocobo companion "wrong", but general consensus is the most useful one is Choco Cure from the healer tree. It fills a gap as a support healer more easily than dps or tank, especially for some jobs that don't have self-healing (some casters don't get anything, tanks depending on the job and level, ranged dps sometimes Second Wind isn't enough).

But again to reiterate, there's no need to go overboard in planning the perfect leveling skill order and look askance at anyone who says so (I've met them, they exist). Unless you want to, then knock yourself out.

Generally, the only way to do a chocobo "wrong" is to load up on self buffs, because it'll just spend all of its time applying them and not doing things.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

It only needs a light wash.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

On the other hand, Palace of the Dead loving sucks and is boring poo poo.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Relyssa posted:

Be very wary of anything that plays the game for you, including autoplaying triple triad. That could get noticed by the powers that be. The triple triad solver to just show you the optimal cards/placements for npc matches is cool and good though.

If you do nothing but play the House Fortemps Manservant for hours on end you'll never get caught out because as far as the server is concerned you're just playing the game. Saucy doesn't send information like how some people get kill satted by visiting the Aesthetician with certain fashion mods on and FF14 doesn't have any kind of program that auto detects this kind of nonsense. With that specific NPC you're safe because you're in your own instance.

Of course you can always get bothered by GMs at complete random or a previous infraction of yours can land you in gay baby jail, but at that point if you're AFK and leaving it on overnight the GM will just be pulling someone who is asleep at the wheel and the plugin doesn't make you vibrate weirdly or anything like that :v:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

orcane posted:

I do agree they shouldn't just vomit all spells over your bars, especially not for expansion jobs.

Generally when you pick up a level say, 70, class, you have a lot of buttons, because you have 70 levels of buttons.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

orcane posted:

Yes that's why I say the game shouldn't just drop them on your bars like that :)

You have to delete + reassign/move them all anyway, might as well ask people to open their spells panel, read the descriptions and place them in a way that makes sense for them (because the default order makes no sense at all, ever).

Oh, I completely misunderstood what you mean, my bad :v: You meant the actual hotbars and not the idea of dropping 70 levels of skills right on your lap and telling you to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Rumor has it if you play Let It Go, one of Disney's lawyers logs into their FF14 account and then forcibly PvPs you to death to stop you from finishing it.