Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

cave emperor posted:

Going into it almost completely blind, Chainsaw Man episode 1 was okay. Some sketchy CG here and there but overall pretty slick production, likeable MC, solid direction. The plot doesn't grab me yet though, so far the setup seems very by-the-numbers, we'll see where it goes.

Chainsaw Man takes a minute to ramp into the things that make it so good and unique. We'll probably have half a season of what feels like a very gory but otherwise normal shounen before it starts to sink it's teeth in. Even for people enjoying the anime, I can't recommend checking out the manga enough. The anime is beautiful (overly clean style and overuse of so-so CG aside) but the very raw style of the manga imbues much more character and charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
For me some of the "muted" CSM response comes from a struggle between fidelity and style. MAPPA went incredibly hard on visual fidelity with CSM but, purposefully as far as I've read, didn't imbue much style into it. The director wanted it to look like live action. Visual fidelity is impressive but can easily fail at evoking emotions. I want to see those emotions in the animation and, outside of a few scenes, CSM wasn't great at doing that. It was great at looking good. Conversely Bocchi and DIY are also very well animated but you can feel the voice and intent of the creators in every frame, you can see where the animators decided to have some fun. Given that Fujimoto's work in the CSM manga is so good at this, I think a lot of manga readers were just disappointed that CSM felt sterile comparatively.

Unrelated, G-Witch slaps and has the best start of any non-UC Gundam and I like everyone. Suletta is a rare MC in a Gundam who is just as good as the characters around her.