Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

christmas boots posted:

Specifically a girl that's not complely jacked. If she was she’d be in every panel

I always thought her notion to take martial arts and combine it with her gravity stuff could have been awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My god imagine if she learned how to increase it

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

christmas boots posted:

Specifically a girl that's not complely jacked. If she was she’d be in every panel

Every page Mirko isn't featured in I want the fans asking where Mirko is.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

Tbh, I get the feeling that the editors have to physically restrain Horikoshi to not draw Mirko on every page.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also something brought to my attention that I totally spaced on was in Deku vs. Muscular 2 from this last season, Deku beat Muscular with only 45% of OFA. In their original fight, even multiple 100% punches didn't put him down.

Now. there are extenuating circumstances here - Vibration had damaged him, and Deku could see the weak spots in his muscle armor. But still, I remember when I first got into MHA I had so many questions on how much Deku's percentages compared to All Might's. Was a 100% punch from him truly equal to a punch from All Might, even weakened All Might?

I think this shows the answer is no, that it's relative to the user's experience? 45% from Deku at present is stronger than his wild, uncontrolled 100% from earlier?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I'm pretty sure it's not an issue of how much power he can actually pull from the pool, but instead how he's applying it. For example, you can launch a piece of lumber hard enough to go through brick walls, but you're going to deal fast more damage with something stronger, even at lower speeds. He blew his arm up after the "100%" punch, meaning it didn't deliver the full force... or at least it's easy to hand wave away as such.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I always got the sense that the percentages were just made up rather than an exact measurement anyway, since he beats Muscular the first time with like one million percent or something.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Deku's 100% punch should be stronger than All Might's 100% simply from how the quirk works. Any differences from Deku's old 100% and say his current 45% comes down to skill.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

Trust me, I already- wait.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: Not the manga thread

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 22, 2023

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
started up season 6, just one episode in. MHA is 'interesting' in that i *love* about a third of the show, but the other two thirds don't land, so i'm never in a rush and I'll read random chapters as tehy come out. My girlfriend is more invested, but we haven't been keeping up week to week for a few years.

Anyway, it's a me thing, but I never like magic schools where the kids end up facing challenges that most adults in the setting would never be able to face, so starting the season with "we enlisted two classroom of toddles for support on this raid against the largest terrorist cell in the country. All the childs with decent AOEs are to be put on the frontlines" really takes me out of it lol. What a loving awful state.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

actually child soldiers private enterprise police are brave and heroic, they should recruit more than UA kids

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If I were raising an army, I would simply recruit main characters exclusively. You just get so much more bang for your buck.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

oh jay posted:

If I were raising an army, I would simply recruit main characters exclusively. You just get so much more bang for your buck.

That's alarmingly close to basically being ZZ Gundam. And also it worked.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MorningMoon posted:

started up season 6, just one episode in. MHA is 'interesting' in that i *love* about a third of the show, but the other two thirds don't land, so i'm never in a rush and I'll read random chapters as tehy come out. My girlfriend is more invested, but we haven't been keeping up week to week for a few years.

Anyway, it's a me thing, but I never like magic schools where the kids end up facing challenges that most adults in the setting would never be able to face, so starting the season with "we enlisted two classroom of toddles for support on this raid against the largest terrorist cell in the country. All the childs with decent AOEs are to be put on the frontlines" really takes me out of it lol. What a loving awful state.

It would help if they spaced things out a bit more like if we were on his final year or something, but no the shows gonna be done before Deku finishes a single year of his "Hero Academia"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

It would help if they spaced things out a bit more like if we were on his final year or something, but no the shows gonna be done before Deku finishes a single year of his "Hero Academia"

I honestly did want multiple years at U.A. but I guess Hori or an editor or someone told him to wrap this poo poo up and so he's doing his best.

And it's still taking years, apparently.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also he was kinda running on fumes re:school stuff judging by Joint Training

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

feel like the sports festival tournament arc could've been the endcap to year 1 easily

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah but to have Deku still only at that skill level by then?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Only 2 interesting things should happen per school year, a la Harry Potter.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

socialsecurity posted:

Wait, this is still the first year? :psyduck:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think it’s technically the second now as of the last arc

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nope. I think right now they're technically not in school at all due to the collapse of society

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I could have sworn Yo Shindo was reintroduced as a third-year

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The wording at the start of season 6 made me think the school year had officially ended and thus they're second years now

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

double post but

I had peeked back into the manga during the Dabi reveal. We haven't even gotten to it, I'm working hard to stoneface whenever Dabi is setting it up because Endeavour is my favorite part of the show and I want my wife's reaction, but anyway this raid arc is so loving good. The bad optics of the hero raid, Twice being so betrayed by society and now Hawks, the loving raw grit Midnight, Mirko and Ms Mountain show when poo poo goes bad, the scale of Shigaraki's power, all the childrens getting abandoned because of how sudden the tables turned and how hard they had to work to hopefully sedate the giant, and then when loving You Say Run plays for Red Riot and it's just a fakeout, gently caress, this poo poo rules. I love the duality of "in a superhuman society, the people who fall through the cracks are harmed even more" but also "this dude literally nuked a city" those fuckign jobber heroes turned into cubes goddamn. And that's before All for One was really taking over!

Currently at Shigaraki just shot the teacher with the no quirk juice.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

double post but

I had peeked back into the manga during the Dabi reveal. We haven't even gotten to it, I'm working hard to stoneface whenever Dabi is setting it up because Endeavour is my favorite part of the show and I want my wife's reaction, but anyway this raid arc is so loving good. The bad optics of the hero raid, Twice being so betrayed by society and now Hawks, the loving raw grit Midnight, Mirko and Ms Mountain show when poo poo goes bad, the scale of Shigaraki's power, all the childrens getting abandoned because of how sudden the tables turned and how hard they had to work to hopefully sedate the giant, and then when loving You Say Run plays for Red Riot and it's just a fakeout, gently caress, this poo poo rules. I love the duality of "in a superhuman society, the people who fall through the cracks are harmed even more" but also "this dude literally nuked a city" those fuckign jobber heroes turned into cubes goddamn. And that's before All for One was really taking over!

Currently at Shigaraki just shot the teacher with the no quirk juice.

Feel free to double or triple post. It's awesome to hear reactions. I am especially curious to hear your report on how your wife feels about Dabi. A lot of us are terminally online. I know I am and so the Dabi=Toya "Theory" was suggested to me basically right as I got into the anime back in 2019. Maybe it won't have occurred to your wife like it wouldn't have to me without the fandom.

But yeah, S6 is awesome and it only gets better and better so eager hear more reactions to that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was leafing through my copy of Ultra Analysis again and I noticed Overhaul has the highest 'Wits" of any of the major villains save for AFO himself.

Which certainly makes sense. Not only does mastering his extremely complex Quirk require a high level of intelligence (it's not "regeneration" it's matter manipulation which means he understands exactly how to put things and people back together which is basically superhuman in its own right), he also had a pretty ingenious plan while also working with the least resources of his rival villains. He only failed because Deku (or Eri? Or both?) literally changed the future.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

while also working with the least resources of his rival villains

ok i guess but let's also acknowledge how huge an advantage happening to be the one with access to eri was and how central she was to his plan

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Which certainly makes sense. Not only does mastering his extremely complex Quirk require a high level of intelligence (it's not "regeneration" it's matter manipulation which means he understands exactly how to put things and people back together which is basically superhuman in its own right), he also had a pretty ingenious plan while also working with the least resources of his rival villains. He only failed because Deku (or Eri? Or both?) literally changed the future.

That's why Momo is so smart too, yeah? She has to actually know chemistry and physics.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

That's why Momo is so smart too, yeah? She has to actually know chemistry and physics.

That's a great comparison I hadn't considered.

ninjewtsu posted:

ok i guess but let's also acknowledge how huge an advantage happening to be the one with access to eri was and how central she was to his plan

Of course. And the Overhaul quirk itself is possibly the best quirk in the series just thinking about it. I'm suer it's no accident it's way better than Decay; Chisaki just needs to brush someone with a finger to kill them, not do the full five fingers. And it's just as effective at healing as it is killing, another way it super trumps Decay. On top of al that, he can merge himself with others to steal their Quirks. In terms of the biological lottery, he was very blessed.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Started last night's session by seeing Eraser chop his own loving leg off :eyepop: Really great string of episodes, the way each one ends with another extremely dire situation for next week was super good. It did made for a bit of an exhausting viewing, so my wife was tapped just before the episode called Dabi's Dance. Very excited for the next session.

When they start listing the cities the giant dude will go through and it keeps going and going and going, holy poo poo. I thought that if the kids didn't stop the dude in time he'd be at the other location quickly and that's teh danger, not that he'd like cut japan in half in his rampage holy poo poo. I'm sorry, Deku, but him and Shigaraki have got to go. One can nuke a city and the other one is a kaiju with the stamina of a triathlon runner.

Toga getting so shook over Twice's murder is also really good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

After Dabi finishes his whole dance
Wife: poo poo
Me: yup
Wife: poo poo
Me: yup
Wife: SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

but then the next episode ended and i was a little teary eyed and she didn't react much so
me: it's not that clear when it isn't text, but it's not Dynamite, it's Dyna-Might
Wife: yeah?
Me: Might
Wife: dynamite
Me: no no dyna-might, like all-might
Wife: yeah i know, it's cute
Me: (no it's the coolest thing ever)

the fight finally ended, she was exhausted from it. What an insane run. I remember kinda falling off once we get into Deku going solo for a while, but that being a couple episodes vs the manga will probably help it a lot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, there hasn't been any word on a release date for Season 7 yet has there (I'm guessing it won't be until next year)?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

We just went through all the episodes dealing with the Todoroki Family while Endeavour's in bed. I loved that poo poo, my wife also thought it was really good but also very, very close to home, she found everyone really realistic.

At this point we need an episode of Spy X Family in the chamber because there ain't no "very pretty shonen boys beat each other up and learn friendship" episodes to be had, which is what drew her in at first, though we get a hearty chuckle every time someone says Great Explosion Murder God Dynamight.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno how reliable this site is but MHA is the 3rd most viewed anime in the world according to this, only beaten by Attack on Titan and One Piece
https://www.tvfandomlounge.com/most-popular-anime-globally-tv-time-attack-on-titan-more/

I mentioned a few weeks ago how hard it is to get more than just Japanese data on viewership and popularity for anime so I crave this kind of information.

Popularity is such a fickle thing and hard to measure. I've been talking anime online for years now. There was a time when everyone couldn't shut up about Death Note but when I read the manga in 2014, I barely found anybody to share the experience with. For whatever reason, it seems like only DBZ maintains that kind of eternal, devoted fanbase. Even before the new movies and Super, I had no problem finding tons an tons of people to talk to about it in the late 2000s, well after even GT had concluded.

But anyway, point is, yay for MHA being popular and I hope it can maintain that popularity, even after its conclusion.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno how reliable this site is but MHA is the 3rd most viewed anime in the world according to this, only beaten by Attack on Titan and One Piece
https://www.tvfandomlounge.com/most-popular-anime-globally-tv-time-attack-on-titan-more/

I mentioned a few weeks ago how hard it is to get more than just Japanese data on viewership and popularity for anime so I crave this kind of information.

Popularity is such a fickle thing and hard to measure. I've been talking anime online for years now. There was a time when everyone couldn't shut up about Death Note but when I read the manga in 2014, I barely found anybody to share the experience with. For whatever reason, it seems like only DBZ maintains that kind of eternal, devoted fanbase. Even before the new movies and Super, I had no problem finding tons an tons of people to talk to about it in the late 2000s, well after even GT had concluded.

But anyway, point is, yay for MHA being popular and I hope it can maintain that popularity, even after its conclusion.

I think Death Note has the issue that it's pretty tightly contained. You have just over 100 chapters, and at the end almost all the leads are dead, the setting is explored, and events had a satisfying enough resolution. There's not that much to say after, beyond "So, you think Columbo could solve it?" and "Yes."

Naruto, Bleach, and similar action shonen have the conversation stay alive better.

MHA's nearing the end for the manga, so the final season is probably waiting for having the ending available to know how many episodes they'll need. I don't think many studios want to be left making another Attack on Titan "Final" season.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Finished season 6, pretty great from start to end!
Only nitpicks are the sniper lady going a bit fast for what her backstory is. Jaded government assassin who on top of that poo poo has to be a public-facing mascot is super interesting, but it doesn't feel earned that she's willing to work for AFO, but also she's not so jaded as to not accept and admire Deku and Hawks after a quick loss. Would've liked more time for her. Same for Deku's 7 quirks, I get not wanting to bog down the story even more with training, but going from so much to get super strength working, a decent amount on the spider-webs (and then having a lot of it be in flashbacks) to just kinda immediately comboing 5 new powers on top is charring.

All Might's whole bit is great, Bakugo being the only guy who understands that their relationship does rely on self destruction and thus they'll burn themselves out was fantastic, and I really liked his apology.

Big Blue Lady is Very Good.

Kinda lol how much the OP is just an adaptation of the last 7 episodes of the cour, guess a big burly dad who is faced by his family to save it isn't quite as marketable.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Finished season 6, pretty great from start to end!
Only nitpicks are the sniper lady going a bit fast for what her backstory is. Jaded government assassin who on top of that poo poo has to be a public-facing mascot is super interesting, but it doesn't feel earned that she's willing to work for AFO, but also she's not so jaded as to not accept and admire Deku and Hawks after a quick loss. Would've liked more time for her. Same for Deku's 7 quirks, I get not wanting to bog down the story even more with training, but going from so much to get super strength working, a decent amount on the spider-webs (and then having a lot of it be in flashbacks) to just kinda immediately comboing 5 new powers on top is charring.

All Might's whole bit is great, Bakugo being the only guy who understands that their relationship does rely on self destruction and thus they'll burn themselves out was fantastic, and I really liked his apology.

Big Blue Lady is Very Good.

Kinda lol how much the OP is just an adaptation of the last 7 episodes of the cour, guess a big burly dad who is faced by his family to save it isn't quite as marketable.

Well Nagant is specifically not dead and also she's a very popular character so seems safe to assume we'll be seeing her again.

But yeah, I said it earlier, the biggest criticism of S6 is simply that there is just too much happening. I think some things (like Mirio's return) are given far too little weight because they're jockeying for position with other big important things. S6 had a billion things it wanted to do and by god it was gonna get them all in there.

I still loved it - I just hope S7 can throw on the brakes a little now we've done so, so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011