Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

TenementFunster posted:

how is this your first post in this thread? brother, you’ve waited 22 years for this moment. it is your time to shine!

Hahaha, yeah it's a bit crazy. I kind of backed off of anime for a bit, but UY always had a special place in my heart. Goes to show that if you wait long enough, everything comes back in style!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rudoku posted:

Yeah, Ataru dreaming up Tinder was perfect.

Posting for the first time in ADTRW to say I'm mad about this!!!

edit:

lmao

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 7, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That reads super weird.

"Your butt will thank you for hemeroids..." etc, etc

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
And anal prolapse. It's obviously meant for goatse.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ms Yuuki That voice you're doing is really torturous could you please not

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

moroboshi posted:

I think for a bit Takahashi intended Shinobu to be the main love interest, then decided to make it Lum.

This isn't really an accurate assessment. Shinobu wasn't Ataru's love interest. She was his girlfriend.

The joke was that, as part of Ataru's awful luck, he also had a very unreasonable girlfriend who would harang him and dump him at the drop of a hat. But then Takahashi decided to keep using Lum who did turn into a love interest. So Shinobu's role in the story changed.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I always wondered if it was supposed to be a smaller, more competitive love triangle for longer between Ataru/Shinobu/Lum. I certainly thought this watching the old anime until more characters got introduced and Shinobu shifted her attentions to Mendo.

Also hi, I feel obliged to post in this thread even though I haven't seen the 2022 anime and am a big enough dork to be hyped for the bluray of the 80s series coming out.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

When is that coming out?!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's an early storyline in the manga where they go into the future and meet Ataru's kid, and Lum cries because he doesn't have horns. And then they go back in time and the stinger of the story is they don't see his mom show up and it's Shinobu.

Rumiko absolutely thought she was writing that story for a while.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hallo spacedog posted:

When is that coming out?!

Sometime in 2023.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
When I first read the manga, my impression was that Lum wasn't even intended to be a major character; there are some early chapters where she's completely absent, followed by a whole chapter where her return is a big deal. I got the sense that while Rumiko was doing her own thing at first, Shonen Sunday was getting inundated with letters asking when Lum was going to come back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The people spoke and their demand was more tiger striped bikinis and lightning.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There's no indication that editor or fan influence made Takahshi make Lum a major character.

It was her first Manga series and she was throwing stuff at the wall and saw what stuck. All interviews indicates she just liked Lum.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Fan feedback/editorial is probably what got Lum back early on as the second chapter of the manga was Ataru/Shinobu and no Lum but as the series went on you can tell Rumiko really liked writing Lum

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And, being fair, she kept "Shinobu being the female mc" in her back pocket for Akane and Shampoo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think it was around Mendo coming that Lum basically replaced Shinobu as heroine. Lum was basically intended as reoccurring antagonist at first.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ConanThe3rd posted:

And, being fair, she kept "Shinobu being the female mc" in her back pocket for Akane and Shampoo.

Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura are not the same sort of story. So no? This doesn't apply.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Has anyone seen the new Viz manga translation? They made some weird choices. Like calling Onsen Mark “Hot Springs Emblem?” I mean that just seems overly literal.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Seen it? I own it! And yeah I didn't get why they went literal with Onsen Mark's name, that was dumb. But I don't really recall any other major translation hiccups out side of that one. And, well, almost anything is better than the trash fire of the original translation. God the hoops they went through to explain Cherry's nickname in the 80s translation still makes me wince.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

oh wait poo poo is it Ryuunosuke next week?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1620259127326052354

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Discoteck just pulling out all the stops, huh?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Finally an affordable way to buy the old series, I've been waiting for this forever.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Ryuunoske was perfect. I really want them to get ahold of Ranma 1/2 in the future.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

That was the dumbest one of these in awhile. Shiggy Chiba fuckin killin it as Ryuunosuke's dad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Been catching up again, and I don't think I have seen someone quite as pathetic as Tobimaro. Like he outclasses even Ataru in unluckiness.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 9, 2023

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

LMAO "I want to redo my life" is a JoJo caliber reveal. Show's good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Gonna have to be real; hated Sōban's design and his...what even was that? Is there even a term for consumption of underwear?? and having Cherry be the cause of everything going wrong in both stories irked me something rotten.

Mind you, the first part was never going to win me over (The Ryunosuke side of the story does not gel with me) so...

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 10, 2023

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1624136303397986307?s=20&t=y05v2mHmM74Pg-16V-FqLA

Saw this pop up today. I haven't had time to watch the new show, and I've never seen the original series either. I'm guessing it's worth grabbing the old show if I'm picking one?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Kingtheninja posted:

Saw this pop up today. I haven't had time to watch the new show, and I've never seen the original series either. I'm guessing it's worth grabbing the old show if I'm picking one?

I'm a bit of a purist so I haven't really bothered with the new show over the old, but the fastest way to tell if it's worth the cost to pick up the old show would be to filez it first. The old animeigo DVDs have long been ripped and put on the internet. Keep in mind the old series is something like 295 episodes, that may also influence your decision.

edit: Also no eng dub on the old series, ain't nobody got time or money for that.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 20, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems we’re getting a dub soon:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-02-27/new-urusei-yatsura-anime-english-dub-streams-on-march-1/.195380

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I'm just a cool dude with normal opinions but so much of what makes this show good is the great voice work so I am not super sure this will translate well...

...but if it's half good it might be a hell of a gateway drug... :catdrugs:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

algebra testes posted:

I'm just a cool dude with normal opinions but so much of what makes this show good is the great voice work so I am not super sure this will translate well...

...but if it's half good it might be a hell of a gateway drug... :catdrugs:

How was the dub of the previous UY series out of curiosity?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Larryb posted:

How was the dub of the previous UY series out of curiosity?
bbc dub rofl

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve never seen a BBC dub, are they generally not that good?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It loving owns, honestly

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think they only did two or three episodes as a one off joke. They are very British.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though looking it up apparently there was a more “proper” dub of the 90’s series done by a company called AnimEigo. Not sure if any actors from that will be reprising their roles for this one though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I highly doubt it. Have they said which dubbing studio is doing the show? Does HIDIVE make their own dubs or do they outsource?