Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ilmucche posted:

It's mtg posting so being a dick is part of it. They're also wrong, given if someone is playing these in their deck you can't outright ignore the card because it's there in front of you.

It's upside down, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Even some of the usually worthless art cards for the current set are selling for a decent amount.

With this one going for more than the card itself from some sellers.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Even some of the usually worthless art cards for the current set are selling for a decent amount.

With this one going for more than the card itself from some sellers.

Both of the Resplendent Angel arts from this set absolutely slap:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the genre of "terrible cards that i want to run because the art is too good"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the genre of "terrible cards that i want to run because the art is too good"

The rules of Yu Gi Oh are a mystery to me; does that stack?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Neito posted:

The rules of Yu Gi Oh are a mystery to me; does that stack?

As far as I know, unless it specifies "Until end of turn", the effect is permanent. So every turn you can make the level higher (which actually does matter for a bunch of the special summon mechanics).

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Been running this MTGA-exclusive card. I like the offer/condition mechanic, very thematic. I don't really read MTG lore but what I've learned of this planeswalker makes me really like him. He's a former accountant with diabolical legal acumen. He keeps a retinue of demons who have all signed contracts to get his soul. For example, his demon bodyguard will own his soul if he turns 65 years old without dying. What Davriel hasn't disclosed is that he's died once before. His sexy accountant, Voluptara, will gain his soul if she can seduce him, but he's asexual.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kevin DuBrow posted:

sexy accountant

Immersion ruined

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Been running this MTGA-exclusive card. I like the offer/condition mechanic, very thematic. I don't really read MTG lore but what I've learned of this planeswalker makes me really like him. He's a former accountant with diabolical legal acumen. He keeps a retinue of demons who have all signed contracts to get his soul. For example, his demon bodyguard will own his soul if he turns 65 years old without dying. What Davriel hasn't disclosed is that he's died once before. His sexy accountant, Voluptara, will gain his soul if she can seduce him, but he's asexual.

Afaik he’s a character from the tie-in novella Brandon Sanderson wrote, if you can find that after wizards tried to bury it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fellblade posted:

Afaik he’s a character from the tie-in novella Brandon Sanderson wrote, if you can find that after wizards tried to bury it.

Is there some story behind that or is it more a case that they just stopped selling it or whatever?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I don’t know the details, there was something about it being part of the deal that it remain free forever online or something and wizards tried to go back on that?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wait, is he actually asexual or 'just not that interested'. Sanderson is a pretty devout Morman and has history of keeping all of his characters cishet.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wait, is he actually asexual or 'just not that interested'. Sanderson is a pretty devout Morman and has history of keeping all of his characters cishet.

I uh, don’t think you have read any Sanderson if you think that is the case.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
While the novel is not that good in itself, the secretary/accountant succubus is quite fun.

When she was originally summoned, she was doing her very best to seduce her summoner until it became clear that he had in fact wanted her services because he was very impressed by her organizational skills.

Since then she has embraced comfortable clothing and practical hairdos and all that classical "before" look from cosmetics ads. She goes by different name, too, and is really ashamed of her edgy true name. She is in fact so very content on her existence that she prefers keeping Davriel alive to wiggling off the contract.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Tiggum posted:

Is there some story behind that or is it more a case that they just stopped selling it or whatever?

If it's the novel I'm thinking of there was a huge fan uprising because of several creative choices made in the novel, namely going back on Gruulfriends, that basically killed the revival of the MTG novels two books in.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Neito posted:

If it's the novel I'm thinking of there was a huge fan uprising because of several creative choices made in the novel, namely going back on Gruulfriends, that basically killed the revival of the MTG novels two books in.

Different novel related drama.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I thought it was the War of the Spark novels that killed the physical novel revival attempt. I never read them, people said that the first novel was a disjointed mess (apparently every Planeswalker in War of the Spark is in it. All 30-odd of them) and the second novel was apparently so bad that WotC actually apologized for the content in it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Randalor posted:

I thought it was the War of the Spark novels that killed the physical novel revival attempt. I never read them, people said that the first novel was a disjointed mess (apparently every Planeswalker in War of the Spark is in it. All 30-odd of them) and the second novel was apparently so bad that WotC actually apologized for the content in it.

The first one was alright if you looked at it as one main throughline (the gatewatch vs bolas) and a bunch of vignettes of the other characters. Not great, but a readable popcorn book.

The second one was the one I was talking about where there was a lot of backpedling of gruulfriends and poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Neito posted:

going back on Gruulfriends

What does this mean?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It's some kind of perverts that worship giants that always get bigger.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nissa and Chandra.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Main 2 perverts identified.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

doverhog posted:

It's some kind of perverts that worship giants that always get bigger.

Aphrodite posted:

Nissa and Chandra.
This is not clarifying anything.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Tiggum posted:

This is not clarifying anything.

Gruul is the red/green color combo. Chandra, a red firey Planeswalker, had a relationship with Nissa, a green nature Planeswalker, that readers thought was flirtatious or romantic. Gruulfriends sounds like girlfriends.

Now that you have the context, a War of the Spark novel published in 2019 went out of its way to say that Chandra was straight and this beloved gay romance didn't exist.

quote:

Chandra had never been into girls. Her crushes — and she’d had her fair share — were mostly the brawny (and decidedly male) types like Gids.

There was a backlash and a later MTG work has them kiss so I guess they've really taken that back.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Dec 9, 2023

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tiggum posted:

What does this mean?

I don't know exactly what you don't understand so I'll start from scratch. Gruul is one of the guilds of Ravnica, a plane where most natives are members of one of ten two-color guilds. The Gruul Clans are the red and green guild.

Chandra Nalaar and Nissa Revane are two major characters in the story, both planeswalkers.

They had a sort of slow burn will-they-won't they thing going on for a long time. It seemed clear that they were each in love but unwilling to admit it for fear of losing the other, until eventually they finally did.

quote:

This time her tears did not turn to steam. They ran freely down her face, and Nissa surprised her by reaching out and wiping them away with her thumbs. Chandra leaned against the elf. Nissa stiffened for a moment. Then she eased her body and allowed Chandra to rest against her. She put an arm around the younger woman's shoulder and even began to slowly, gently rock the softly sobbing Chandra back and forth. Without looking at her, Chandra whispered, 'I love you, too, you know.' Nissa whispered back, 'I love you as well, Chandra.'

So yeah, one is red and the other is green, they are both women, and they had a romance arc going on. Thus, gruulfriends.

Then the novel War of the Spark: Forsaken came out and concluded that arc in quite possibly the worst possible way.

quote:

On Ravnica, in the wake of Gideon's death and Bolas', they had admitted to each other that they loved. But both of them knew deep down they were only speaking platonically.

quote:

Chandra had never been into girls. Her crushes — and she'd had her fair share — were mostly the brawny (and decidedly male) types like Gids. But there had always been something about Nissa Revane specifically, something the two of them shared in that great chemical mix — arcing between them like one of Ral Zarek's lightning bolts — that had thrilled her. From the moment they first met.

Now everything's different.

It was over. Before it had ever had a chance to begin. Maybe, maybe they had missed their moment.

Yeah, for all intents and purposes she just turned to the camera and said "oh, by the way im not gay or anything. dont listen to anyone whose posting that im gay."

This story had a lot of problems and was poorly regarded for many reasons, but this was the most infamous issue. The author insisted that he dissolved the Chandra/Nissa romance because he wanted their arc to conclude and Wizards didn't want them to actually end up together. Anyway after this they totally reversed course and now Chandra is officially pan and she and Nissa have finally stopped dancing around each other and started a relationship, but the story quality is still below par and it really does feel like they're only allowing major characters to be queer because the audience wouldn't let them get away with queerbaiting. That being said, while MTG's queer representation is clearly just pandering, I must admit that Wizards of the Coast is really good at pandering when they want to be.

On a totally unrelated note, here is a card with really good flavor text that popped into my head recently.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ariong posted:

Wizards of the Coast is really good at pandering when they want to be.

Who's this one supposed to be pandering to?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

That and Bearscape are both part of the product Secret Lair: Pride Across the Multiverse. Secret Lair is an art showcase product line where they do a limited run of cards with unique art, printed to order, one copy of each card unless otherwise specified. That particular card depicts Chandra, Nissa, and several agender Aetherborn taking part in a pride parade. I'm of the opinion that they have yet to make a Secret Lair product that isn't a ripoff, but there's no denying that the art is often gorgeous, and Pride Across the Multiverse is among the best. Feast your eyes on these.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tiggum posted:

Who's this one supposed to be pandering to?

Deodorant manufacturers?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Why is Gruul a demigod ogre in WoW? Red and green had a baby and it was a huge ogre?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ariong posted:

That particular card depicts Chandra, Nissa, and several agender Aetherborn taking part in a pride parade.
I don't want to sound like I'm questioning that that's what it's supposed to be, but how can you tell? I'm looking at it and all I'm seeing is people celebrating on a boat. What am I missing?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, if you're familiar with the character designs at all, it's very obviously chandra and nissa.

they should've been making out like the other card in that pack, but I suppose this is as close as we'll get to wotc confirming the two of them being together on a card

e: nissa

chandra

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Dec 9, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean, if you're familiar with the character designs at all, it's very obviously chandra and nissa.
That was not the part I was asking about.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I don't want to sound like I'm questioning that that's what it's supposed to be, but how can you tell? I'm looking at it and all I'm seeing is people celebrating on a boat. What am I missing?

Well, it's in the gay pride secret lair, and the people in the picture are in a parade. I suppose you must have missed one of those two things because taking both of those into account it really couldn't be much clearer.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's also a very gruul druid more mana card. Increase.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
My very weird cousins who introduced me to the game thought this guy was awesome:

Mainly because of the flavour text; I can still hear them yelling 'ACH HANS RUN, IT'S THE LHURGOYF' at each other over dinner. Happy memories.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It IS a pretty cool hosed up monster thing

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've since made Hans and Saffi, and a joke card called "Ach! Hans, run!".

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Also one of the historically best creatures in the game is a lhurgoyf, though even old Tarmogoyf has been power crept out of too tier competitive play because a big ball of stats with no other abilities just doesn't cut it any more.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Also one of the historically best creatures in the game is a lhurgoyf, though even old Tarmogoyf has been power crept out of too tier competitive play because a big ball of stats with no other abilities just doesn't cut it any more.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

TBF 'Goyf also got reprinted in a bunch of sets whereas, prior to that, it'd only been printed in Future Sight.

I know MaRo says Future Sight was a mistake, but I wish they'd do another set like that. gently caress being competative, it was fun.