Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Milo and POTUS posted:

e: Sorry. Im sorry. Im trying to remove it

God these are fun to boomerang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
As a cheap gently caress who liked having 10 decks on my person because I got bored too fast, I was so happy when those came out. Good mana fixing at common! That was unheard of at the time. Maybe it's because I was in college and therefore ideally situated for it, but Ravnica/Time Spiral was peak MTG. Wide open meta with lots of cool stuff to play with at every rarity level, I was scrubbing out of FNMs with ghazi-glare because I refused to spend real money and didn't know how to sideboard, and then I had the time of my life with gaea's blessing plus dredge even though bridge from below is obviously the better way to do that. Stupid bullshit leyline of the void.

Anti-shoutouts to whoever designed leyline of the void just because they knew manaless dredge risked making legacy cheap and fun. Force of vigor should have been released in Time Spiral at uncommon.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Ragnar34 posted:

Anti-shoutouts to whoever designed leyline of the void just because they knew manaless dredge risked making legacy cheap and fun. Force of vigor should have been released in Time Spiral at uncommon.

Manaless dredge has never been fun.

I say this as someone who had an opponent drop from a tournament in the middle of round 1 because I was on manaless dredge :v:

Oops All Spells is currently better than Manaless Dredge ever was, and is cheaper than most Modern decks. It gets to play Force of Vigor as anti-leyline tech too! And Burn is super cheap and "fine" in Legacy. I think it's easily a more interesting deck than manaless dredge was.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

would absolutely summon this legend

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Here's my favorite

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"whaaaaaaaaaat"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I understand why they heavily standardized creature types over the years, but I always loved the wacky one-off summon types. Summon Abomination! Summon The Wretched! Summon Uncle Istvan! Miss me with the Legendary Human nonsense, poo poo is boring

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
I liked thinking about how some changeling was a goblin, a zombie, a gazelle, an Uncle Istvan, etc.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I understand why they heavily standardized creature types over the years, but I always loved the wacky one-off summon types. Summon Abomination! Summon The Wretched! Summon Uncle Istvan! Miss me with the Legendary Human nonsense, poo poo is boring

Not to mention some of the changes the odd creature types went though. Evil Eye of Orms-by-Gore has had its card type changed from "Summon Evil Eye" to the more standardized "Creature - Horror" to... "Creature - Eye". Yes, they standardized it, then decided "Wait, gently caress that, Eye as a creature type is hilarious" and changed it back.

Still no idea who Orms-by-Gore is, or why their Eye is a sentient creature as strong as some lower-strength giants and dragons, and as durable as some higher-end walls, or if it's even supposed to be in their head or not.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Randalor posted:

Still no idea who Orms-by-Gore is, or why their Eye is a sentient creature as strong as some lower-strength giants and dragons, and as durable as some higher-end walls, or if it's even supposed to be in their head or not.
Cool art though.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Here's my favorite

My monitor won't turn off :(

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Randalor posted:

Not to mention some of the changes the odd creature types went though. Evil Eye of Orms-by-Gore has had its card type changed from "Summon Evil Eye" to the more standardized "Creature - Horror" to... "Creature - Eye". Yes, they standardized it, then decided "Wait, gently caress that, Eye as a creature type is hilarious" and changed it back.

There are higher end walls?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My actual, favorite non-joke card is Dina, Soul Steeper (for commander, as the commander)

The art is fantastic. I love the satisfactory pose with her tea and the spooky green/yellow/orange/black color palette.

Her mechanics as a commander are fun as hell. Sure ok there's an instant win condition if I get lucky with Exquisite Blood but I like to play grindy combos and she has a few badass ones. There's death by a thousand cuts where you do a bunch of little instances of lifegain, like creatures with lifelink, but what's funny is stuff like Essence Warden where every time someone plays a creature they take one damage. You can be an extra spiteful schmuck and use TresPasser's Curse on a single person so that they take 2 damage every time a creature comes in. But overall it's just a fun, and surprisingly powerful deck you can make with her that I love. I've been messing with this deck recently and trying to figure out new scumbag poo poo I can do with it and more combos. Generally if things are getting spicy at my LGS's commander night I'll bring out this deck to see how it hangs.

My second favorite commander is Perrie, The Pulverizer

I call this deck "Bookkeeping Tribal." The way this guy works is that he gets beefed up for each kind of counter you have. This means individual types of counters. You're probably used to +1/+1, charge, or loyalty counters but this will use some of the most stupid worthless poo poo like flood, verse, brick, night, slumber, and acorn counters. To keep track of the counters I like to write them down on little plastic cards using a dry erase marker, hence the theme of the deck. Of course there's a few boring ways to pump up perrie with a shitload of +1/+1 counters and give him flying and double strike, and there's a couple backup combo wincons in the deck, but I have more fun playing really obtuse, forgotten cards. Or just playing Body Of Research then giving the token fly to have a flying 80/80.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

There are higher end walls?

Higher-end in the sense that their toughness is high for their cost.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Always thought this one was super cool. But how do you say it? nek-RO-POH-tinse? nuh-CROP-uh-tinse? Doesn't sound good to my ear either way.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think it's meant to be a play off omnipotence, which i've always heard "omm-NIP-ott-ence"

so i guess neck-ROP-ott-ence. which evokes otters and necks

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Tiggum posted:

Always thought this one was super cool. But how do you say it? nek-RO-POH-tinse? nuh-CROP-uh-tinse? Doesn't sound good to my ear either way.
You're basically wondering if it should be like two words:
https://voca.ro/1bewVjBaz7oa
Or one:
https://voca.ro/126ReeaYlAcp

However, the true answer is actually to pronounce it in German:
https://voca.ro/1dcHE7BU2Xxs

Which, incidentally, means "the ability of a dead person to get a boner". I rest my case

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Simply Simon posted:

Which, incidentally, means "the ability of a dead person to get a boner". I rest my case

Thats just Sickening

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

One of my favourite instants. I love baiting someone into attacking with their biggest, beefiest creature before slapping this on them. No one ever sees it coming.

"Ribbit." :smug:

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Here's a pretty good example of how creatures have become way more powerful over the years:

This first creature is Jackal Pup from the Tempest set, which had two power for the low cost of one red mana. At the time in 1997, this was considered pretty powerful, and in fact was used in world championship decks for two years running. Because the creature was so efficiently costed at the time, the drawback was that you would take damage whenever your Jackal Pup did. The benefits of having such a cheap powerful creature outweighed the drawbacks though, and so Jackal Pup became a staple in aggressive red decks.

This next card is Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer, printed 24 years later in 2021 in the Modern Horizons 2 set. It has identical stats to Jackal Pup, but with no downsides. When you damage your opponent with it, you get a free treasure token (which you can sacrifice to add one mana of any color), and you also remove the top card of their library and are allowed to cast it for yourself. On top of all of that, Ragavan also has the Dash ability, which basically lets you pay an alternate cost to give it haste for a turn, attack your opponent immediately, then bounce it back into your hand at the end of the turn. Almost any deck that uses red mana wants to play a full set of 4 Ragavans.

Of course, you can't compare these two cards in a vacuum. Ragavan was printed in a set specifically designed for the Modern format, which is extremely fast and powerful, whereas Jackal Pup would have been intended for a "standard", rotating format which tends to be slower and less powerful by definition. Modern didn't even exist until 2011, and contemporary MTG card design has been going more and more off the rails ever since.

Necronomicon has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Nov 29, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Debunk This! posted:

One of my favourite instants. I love baiting someone into attacking with their biggest, beefiest creature before slapping this on them. No one ever sees it coming.

"Ribbit." :smug:

In the same vein, this is a good and powerful way to shut down a big scary commander by turning them into a legitimate businessperson, which is funny to me

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

For whatever reason Turn to Frog reminded me of this one, from the 2013 Gatecrash set:

Gatecrash was the second set in the Return to Ravnica block (incidentally my favourite block from any period I've actively played Magic), which, well, was a return to the plane of Ravnica, originally visited in the 2005 block called simply the Ravnica block. Being a popular plane, it was seen once again in what's unofficially called the Guilds of Ravnica block, consisting of the expansions Guilds of Ravnica, Ravnica Allegiance, and War of the Spark.

This is relevant because while searching for above posted card, I found that Fblthp himself had gotten a card in War of the Spark:

Which also received a special art version in a 2021 Secret Lair drop:

And then, finally, in this year's joke set Unfinity, a sequel to the 2013 card was included:

And that concludes Fblthp's journey so far. Only time will tell if he ever finds his way or if he'll be lost forever.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

KennyMan666 posted:

For whatever reason Turn to Frog reminded me of this one, from the 2013 Gatecrash set:

Gatecrash was the second set in the Return to Ravnica block (incidentally my favourite block from any period I've actively played Magic), which, well, was a return to the plane of Ravnica, originally visited in the 2005 block called simply the Ravnica block. Being a popular plane, it was seen once again in what's unofficially called the Guilds of Ravnica block, consisting of the expansions Guilds of Ravnica, Ravnica Allegiance, and War of the Spark.

This is relevant because while searching for above posted card, I found that Fblthp himself had gotten a card in War of the Spark:

Which also received a special art version in a 2021 Secret Lair drop:

And then, finally, in this year's joke set Unfinity, a sequel to the 2013 card was included:

And that concludes Fblthp's journey so far. Only time will tell if he ever finds his way or if he'll be lost forever.

omg I love him so much

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Another fun fact about Fblthp is that you can find him in the background of other cards.

https://twitter.com/theasianavenger/status/1131644784668360704

I don't know where to find a complete list of background appearances offhand, so I'm assuming he's in every card ever made.

Here's a reprint of Totally Lost with new art.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

It's hard to tell from the image alone, but in this one he's standing on top of a very tall statue which is on top of a tall spire that there's absolutely no logical way he could have ascended.

Don't worry though, I'm sure he'll be fine.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've farted around playing MTG through the years. Never serious- I just wanted to annoy my opponent a turn or two. I preferred things like pack wars, or prerelease events. For years, I worked at a comic store and was forced to play FNM to even out players or whatnot. I don't think I ever won a game, but it was fun ruining my opponent's turn.

There was a card 'Lost in the Woods'(?), where anytime you were dealt combat damage, reveal the next card in your library. If it was a forest, no damage is dealt, and the card was returned to the bottom of your library (I think). So my deck was 1 LitW, and 59 Forests. I won't win, but it will annoy most players at the time.

MTG quit being fun when the store became filled with hardcore competition dudes who were always going to Star City and doing poo poo. They made it no fun to someone who was trying to play, not place. I was getting utterly wrecked to the point I just put down my loss before we even sat down- I'm talking turn 1 wins and poo poo, because I pick cards based on goofs.

One of my favorite cards was given to me by a customer. In a former life, I was a Paratrooper who had a bad landing and ended up pretty jacked up for life. We would always give each other poo poo, and goof off. He'd say poo poo like, "Shut up or I'll tell gravity where you are hiding." Anyway, he gave me this-

It's so dumb and funny that I still use it as a bookmark, even if I haven't shuffled a deck in 10 years.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Spanish Manlove posted:

My second favorite commander is Perrie, The Pulverizer

So when this card declares attack its ability can be used as an instant on itself or would it apply to a following attacker?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

HAmbONE posted:

So when this card declares attack its ability can be used as an instant on itself or would it apply to a following attacker?

He can use it on himself the combat he attacks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HAmbONE posted:

You can use it on itself or another attacker. Most of the time you'll use it on itself as the goal of the deck is to beef him up and kill people through commander damage.

Forgot to share the decklist, it's turned into more +1/+1 counters for consistency but there's still a bunch of goofy things I love

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/sAl8FSeV9Eip5gZagaZUag

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Ragnar34 posted:

Another fun fact about Fblthp is that you can find him in the background of other cards.

https://twitter.com/theasianavenger/status/1131644784668360704

I don't know where to find a complete list of background appearances offhand, so I'm assuming he's in every card ever made.

I really appreciate the fact that other artists are just running with this as a gag

It kinda rules ngl

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

from the first page but LMAO at first glance I thought he gave up the sword for golfing

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I've never played MTG, but this is my favorite card:

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

This is a vehicle that comes with enough cats to drive it

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I loved the concept of planeswalkers when they first came out. You get to ally with another in-universe mtg player, with their personality and interests expressed mechanically by the things they'll do as a favor to you, or in the case of + abilities, the things they want to do anyway. I didn't like the first five planeswalkers though. They seemed like plane-sonas for real life nerds named Johnny, Jason, Lily, Sandra and Gary. Unfortunately to this day Jason is still the main character of Magic the Gathering, with his loving hoodie and everything, but there have been some cool cards.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is she just a 3/3? How do they show power toughness for non same numbers

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is she just a 3/3? How do they show power toughness for non same numbers

The way planeswalkers work is that they come into play with loyalty counters on them (the number on the bottom right) and once per your turn, you can use one of their abilities by adding or removing the specified amount of counters to the planeswalker. Planeswalkers can also be the targets for attacks.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah, they can only do the things on their card text, I believe just one of them per turn? Otherwise that first ability on the one posted could be used ad infinitum to insta-win.
If they are the target of a spell that deals them damage, it removes that many loyalty counters. But you can't attack or defend with them like they're a creature, because they're not.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

I loved the concept of planeswalkers when they first came out.
I hate planeswalkers so loving much.

Before the cards, the fiction of the game was that you were a planeswalker, a godlike being who can create worlds and for whom entire nations would live and die. It's an incredibly cool concept.

Then, one day, the official line switched from "we could never make a card of a planeswalker, because that card would have to effectively be a whole other player joining the game" to "planeswalkers have about 2 HP and can do exactly three very specific things."

gently caress. That.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Famous Planeswalker Count Dracula

I do like the Dracula cards and sometimes play Sorin the Mirthless, but I do not use the Dracula printing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What... is this? I don't understand what I'm looking at here.