Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

supersnowman posted:

The bars are also from 2022 but I'm not holding my breath on them redoing the poll.

they redid the poll a few months ago check it out https://news.gallup.com/poll/643601/americans-say-not-helping-ukraine-enough.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I'm surprised by all of the postgrads being in the tank, I would assume because that means they're democrats, demographically speaking?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I'm surprised by all of the postgrads being in the tank, I would assume because that means they're democrats, demographically speaking?

the education system taught them wrong, as a joke

in all seriousness, I'd guess postgrad academia is where any iconoclasm is stamped out p quickly. plus, how many postgrads these days have degrees in history, international relations, etc. compared to business and finance?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
theyre riddled with debt and it's worth it if a stray nuke might hit their bank

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I see it as them being part of the system now. Whether conscious of it or not, they're now part of the end of history and all that. I think the painful truth is that its the postgrads that first started the Lord of the rings comparisons. This is an epic war for civilisation etc etc.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

This isn't really prompted by anything but my own thoughts, but

How do liberals square the idea of Trump being a pro-Putin stooge with the actual geopolitical realities of his term vs Obama and Biden?

Putin "felt emboldened" to annex Crimea when Obama was president. He "felt emboldened" to intervene in Syria under Obama. And then he "felt emboldened" to invade Ukraine in 2022 under Biden. Meanwhile under Trump there were no further incursions into Ukraine and the opportunity to take out Assad had already passed by Jan. 2017

Is the answer really just that liberals only concern themselves with rhetoric, not actual actions?

fondly remembering how everyone had to avoid discussing what the trump zelensky phone call that provoked the first impeachment trial was even about because trump promising to give zelensky more weapons to fight russia even harder that congress didnt want to authorize was completely at odds with the existing putins puppet narrative

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

era of peace in Europe ???

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

AmyL posted:

That is easy. Liberalism and values have overtaken rational thinking and logic.

Russia = evil
Ukraine = good

People voting with their feet not to fight? Evil traitors that never were part of Ukraine and its majority voting in a democracy to fight against an existential threat.

why do you strip the name and link out of quotes? thats rather ill mannered.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Not liking the overall weird, oddly transgressive posting tbh

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

I'm curious, what is even happening to ikranian men who try to go to Russia right now? do they get drafted or arrested? Just interviewed?

Per the parameters of the SMO Russia is still only using volunteer troops in Ukraine. Conscripts are limited to homeland support and defense or a declared war, and I don't think Russia is really hurting for more conscripts. A Ukrainian that makes his way to Russia probably just links up with his family who already lives there, maybe takes a job in the booming defense sector after an interview

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

iirc russian border guard check the phones for telegram channels these days

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

era of peace in Europe ???

oh there will be peace alright

poor, hopeless, peaceful

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Dokapon Findom posted:

Not liking the overall weird, oddly transgressive posting tbh

What is this in reference to?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Nix Panicus posted:

Per the parameters of the SMO Russia is still only using volunteer troops in Ukraine. Conscripts are limited to homeland support and defense or a declared war, and I don't think Russia is really hurting for more conscripts. A Ukrainian that makes his way to Russia probably just links up with his family who already lives there, maybe takes a job in the booming defense sector after an interview

This may not apply to Donbas troops. A lot of those were conscripted and I don't know if they were ever demobilized.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

oh there will be peace alright

poor, hopeless, peaceful

or europe could go *morer fascist rearm and blow itself up again over any of a plethora of stoked racial issues or territorial differences

MinutePirateBug has issued a correction as of 04:59 on Apr 25, 2024

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

MinutePirateBug posted:

or europe could go *morer fascist rearm and blow itself up again over any of a plethora of stoked racial issues or territorial differences

You need industry to rearm, and well

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PUTIN

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

butin

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Badimir Shootin'

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/Reuters/status/1783372837522149681

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Spergin Morlock posted:

I'm curious, what is even happening to ikranian men who try to go to Russia right now? do they get drafted or arrested? Just interviewed?

Perhaps some may be interviewed at the airport, but they are free to come into Russia. There isn't a current draft in Russia, but if they get Russian citizenship, they would have to sign up for potential service like anyone else.

There are millions of Ukrainians in Russia at this point. That is the thing, this was as much of a civil war as anything else.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
One of the funny things about the west's reaction to this whole thing is how hard it is for people to understand that the russians really just think of this as more of a civil war than anything else, even though that's pretty much how they've been talking about it this whole time. They're pretty happy to believe that lots of people arent on board with the dipshit nazis that took over the ukr government, which also happens to be true within physical reality as well.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Posters of this very thread have commented about having family on both Russia and Ukraine as well

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Perhaps some may be interviewed at the airport, but they are free to come into Russia. There isn't a current draft in Russia, but if they get Russian citizenship, they would have to sign up for potential service like anyone else.

There are millions of Ukrainians in Russia at this point. That is the thing, this was as much of a civil war as anything else.

That makes sense. I assume the opposite is not as true for Russians entering Ukraine these days

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Spergin Morlock posted:

That makes sense. I assume the opposite is not as true for Russians entering Ukraine these days

Russian men aren't allowed in, and Russian women are usually heavily interrogated, at least from what I last heard.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

BearsBearsBears posted:

This may not apply to Donbas troops. A lot of those were conscripted and I don't know if they were ever demobilized.

Yeah, Putin sucks for ignoring the people of the Donbas for eight years and then using them as disposable auxiliaries once the war started. Maybe proper integration into Russia will cause *someone* to finally care about them

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
When they became part of the regular army, a portion of them were demobilized, and the others became contract soldiers.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Without the BTG, there's no reason to use them carelessly anymore.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

who let the chihuahas out?

Readovka posted:

Belarusian special services prevented drone strikes from Lithuania against facilities in Minsk — KGB Chief Ivan Tertel

He did not provide details of the incident.
(from t.me/readovkanews/78830, via tgsa)

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Readovka posted:

Lukashenko said that the Belarusian opposition and its curators plan to seize the Kobrin district, declare a new government and appeal to NATO about the deployment of troops.
(from t.me/readovkanews/78831, via tgsa)

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Maybe creating a situation where both US proxies only know how to hit the "widen war" button when they're in trouble was a mistake...

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Well that seems bad

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I am going to seize my apartment building and appeal to Chairman Xi about the deployment of troops

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otOUngpN-zY

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Russians must be getting mighty tired firing all that artillery and such. Soon enough they will be all tuckered out. Then UAF will pounce, clean sweep to absolute victory.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rope a dope was not ultimately successful as Ali suffered severe brain damage. Sad

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Maybe creating a situation where both US proxies only know how to hit the "widen war" button when they're in trouble was a mistake...

True to form for countries aligned with the West- the only instinct they have is escalate, escalate, then escalate again

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

This seems like it would laughably fizzle out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I would imagine that just causing trouble for Russia wherever they can could be seen as a way to help Ukraine. Moldova, Georgia, Belarus, Central Asia.