Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Cool that the American Empire's plan for Russia is Grizzly Man but if instead of being friendly with the bears Treadwell had been throwing rocks and paying Nazis to shoot at them the whole time. Wonder how this will turn out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe you should have Blinken and Biden call Xi a genocidal dictator a few more times I'm sure that'll win them over to stop supporting Russia

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
"Hey Xi, you stupid loving rear end in a top hat, you genocidal dictator, you absolute piece of poo poo, do what we say and help Ukraine because it's the right thing to do. Also we're gonna continue nudging Taiwanese separatism but ignore that, it's not your business"

This isn't a winning diplomatic pitch!

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

KomradeX posted:

Maybe you should have Blinken and Biden call Xi a genocidal dictator a few more times I'm sure that'll win them over to stop supporting Russia

Calling the workshop of the world your adversary every chance you get and then expecting them to do you solids is really a big brain move.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Calling the workshop of the world your adversary every chance you get and then expecting them to do you solids is really a big brain move.

They don't believe in diplomacy as having any merit, and even if they did they don't know how to conduct it

The West's idea of diplomacy is: we show up, we do a few photo ops, we tell you what to do, and then you do it. And if you don't you're a bad, evil country and our sanctions are justified in targeting your population.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

VoicesCanBe posted:

"Hey Xi, you stupid loving rear end in a top hat, you genocidal dictator, you absolute piece of poo poo, do what we say and help Ukraine because it's the right thing to do. Also we're gonna continue nudging Taiwanese separatism but ignore that, it's not your business"

This isn't a winning diplomatic pitch!

I mean the point is eventual war with China, but in a way that they are the agressor so everyone cuts off trade with them, so that they can starve out China or reduce kill it as a potential competitor. Blinken is doing exactly what he wants to do for the reason he wants..

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1783458278048936140

The fact that this guy of all people is saying this is telling

MinutePirateBug posted:

I mean the point is eventual war with China, but in a way that they are the agressor so everyone cuts off trade with them, so that they can starve out China or reduce kill it as a potential competitor. Blinken is doing exactly what he wants to do for the reason he wants..

This is correct, but I do think Blinken would like in the short term to get China to cut Russia off. They just have no understanding of the geopolitical situation and why such a maneuver isn't just impossible but laughable to even suggest.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VoicesCanBe posted:

[url]https:// twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1783458278048936140[/url]

my guy, you just got 60 billion dollars!!!

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1783458278048936140

The fact that this guy of all people is saying this is telling

This is correct, but I do think Blinken would like in the short term to get China to cut Russia off. They just have no understanding of the geopolitical situation and why such a maneuver isn't just impossible but laughable to even suggest.

Ya, it would be nice to cut off Russia from China, in Blinken's eyes, but realistically they know that won't happen. So, this about building the case for why the US needs to regime change China, ya know because they are supporting the "genocide" in Ukraine. Even though one of the advantages Ukraine has is the number of commercial drones they are buying from China, and China would probably be one of the few honest peace brokers out there because they have a lot of investments in Ukraine and they really really do not want to see Ukrainian grain cut off from the rest of world. And they really really want Russia to survive for plethora of reasons.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

hmm sounds like ruzzian disinformation

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I do wonder how much of this bullshit is just them using contingency plans from their PNAC days. When they were starving Iraq there was always the concern that Europe wouldn't play along. They certainly solved that problem now, but twenty years too late. The countries on that one map just don't have the economic gravity anymore to warp the whole world around them.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

MinutePirateBug posted:

I realize that's the plan, but if we can dial into material reality for a moment, how do they suppose their plan to cut off trade from the country that makes everything for the world is going to work?

Do they remember what happened in America when Chinese ports were running behind because of covid mitigation? Imagine no containers are shipped from China to the US for two weeks. Two months. Six. A Year. How long is the American economy able to function? How long are basic elements of American life able to function without Chinese goods?

You know, credit to Deng Xiaoping, America can't do America's favourite move, containment, embargo, unrestricted submarine warfare, to the country that makes everything.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tazjin posted:

who let the chihuahas out?

(from t.me/readovkanews/78830, via tgsa)

One of the other Ukraine threads it was claimed that this guy proudly described the KGB op as "Chekist", is there a direct quote for that in Russian?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

genericnick posted:

I do wonder how much of this bullshit is just them using contingency plans from their PNAC days. When they were starving Iraq there was always the concern that Europe wouldn't play along. They certainly solved that problem now, but twenty years too late. The countries on that one map just don't have the economic gravity anymore to warp the whole world around them.

Exactly. It's not 1938 anymore.

There's not British industry, French, German, even American or Japanese, that can produce the world's goods without China. Both in the sense that they industrialized, but also that they are dependant on Chinese inputs, or Chinese parts for their machine tools, or Chinese clothes for their workers.

MinutePirateBug posted:

And they really really want Russia to survive for plethora of reasons.

The west loudly and proudly yelling "you're next" is the only one that matters, and that was entirely an own goal. Same deal with Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela. The US created a loose alliance of countries with no geographic or ideological links, simply by trying to do what Fukuyama suggested at the End of History. He thought the best thing for the system would be to occasionally have a few invigorating wars against "wildlife preserves" of not-western liberal capitalist democracy.

Certain countries would be preserved as "authoritarian" "totalitarian", whatever, that would be of peripheral or no importance, until it was time to go on safari and remind themselves why their system was superior.

I think he says verbatim at one point that an inspiration for this was the Third Punic War. Which is a staggering thing to say, but I guess the whole deal with the End of History is you could just blurt that out. So, having a Libya, Syria, Iraq, North Korea would give the US the opportunity, I forget if he says every 25 years or every 50, to reaffirm the march of liberal capitalist democracy across the globe, shake society out of decadent stupor, reinvigorate national purpose, get a W on the board, and then after a triumph get back to ... whatever it is happens at the End of History. Stasis?

Clearly nobody expected that when they wrote dozens of books about this, and gave speeches, and telegraphed their intentions, that any of these countries would talk to each other?

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Apr 25, 2024

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I realize that's the plan, but if we can dial into material reality for a moment, how do they suppose their plan to cut off trade from the country that makes everything for the world is going to work?

Do they remember what happened in America when Chinese ports were running behind because of covid mitigation? Imagine no containers are shipped from China to the US for two weeks. Two months. Six. A Year. How long is the American economy able to function? How long are basic elements of American life able to function without Chinese goods?

You know, credit to Deng Xiaoping, America can't do America's favourite move, containment, embargo, unrestricted submarine warfare, to the country that makes everything.

south korea trucking industry completely froze up when china restricted urea exports in iirc 2022, and was only resolved when SK went begging china for it

and the funniest part is that wasn't even intentionally aimed at SK lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, this is the expected result of Western foreign policy, but even then it is saying something that there were already saying this before 2022 and Putin thought he could maybe still work it out.

Remember, Putin was not only a "child of the 1990s" but Zyuganov beyond coming close in 1996, but got a respectable 29.49% of the vote in 2000. Putin back in 2000 was very much the West's "Orban," in Russia as the communists (even in a diluted form) remained the "true threat" and it was assumed he would be loyal to his masters (and often was) until it simply became untenable. Even despite the 2008 Georgian War, he was still hobnobbing with Western leaders after his "demotion" to Prime Minister after they assumed any sort of real crisis was over.

He only really became a true subject of ire when he announced he was running again in 2011. It is also when Navalny got his start.

Btw, I flipped through Panzers of Prokhorovka, it is quite messy. I get what he is trying to say about Prokhorovka and that Tigers (according to German records) did better than assumed, but really makes a mess of what is probably could have been an single short journal article.

As far as the subject matter, his methodology is so all over the place it is hard to get a sense if he isn't under-counting/over-counting losses especially since he is utilizing different sources. Moreover, in conclusion...it is kind of a "so-what" situation, the Russians didn't win the battle with tanks but artillery, and even if a Tiger outshot a T-34 76mm 5 to 1...Soviet industry could handle that ratio better than German industry could. You could put your super-tank in an ideal situation and not only still lose the battle but ultimately lose more effective human and material resources than the enemy.

I get a sense as well this is a modern update on the "big cat"/force multiplier push from the Cold War, you don't need to compete with the enemy materially if your super-tank (or whatever) can out shoot them 10 to one. The problem with that is simply if 1. usually that doesn't happen, and 2. even if it did if the enemy can out produce your super tank more than 10 to one, it doesn't matter. Also, adaptations by the opposing force is going to be compounded, a T-34 85 is a much more even match while not being that more costly to build, and now you need a "super duper" tank which is going to bankrupt you.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:06 on Apr 25, 2024

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

When someone suggested to Joe Biden America wasn't the workshop of the world any more he got that senile rage at that person. American leadership has no functional understanding of the world as is, outside of its own propaganda. Christ it was glaringly obvious the US would lose to China in March of 2020 when the US economy nearly collapsed from lack of imports qndnit hasn't recovered since

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

MinutePirateBug posted:

Apart from what everyone else has mentioned, that list of "everyone" who would cut off trade with China is how long right now? Canada, Argentina and parts of the EU?

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Hedenius posted:

Apart from what everyone else has mentioned, that list of "everyone" who would cut off trade with China is how long right now? Canada, Argentina and parts of the EU?

What they really wanted is countries like Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Angola, and the stans to cut off trade with China. Who knows if they would actually do it in the event of war with China as the aggressor in Taiwan or the South China Sea.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Suriyak is reporting that the Ukrainians are back trying to expand a bridgehead at Krynky again.. I'm kind of at a loss for how this kind of operation could possibly be authorized at a time when it seems that their lines are falling apart in the east of the country.

The idea *kind of* made sense when it was in support of a broader offensive to try and drive to the south towards Crimea. In the absence of any broader plans for an offensive it just seems like sending in soldiers for the sake of holding on to a little clump of territory on the other side of the river for PR purposes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

NATO countries sanction China causing their economies to instantly collapse. China works to develop new markets by investing in third world nations. The third world becomes prosperous while the first world descends into poverty.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

NATO countries sanction China causing their economies to instantly collapse. China works to develop new markets by investing in third world nations. The third world becomes prosperous while the first world descends into poverty.

I mean that's why you want China to attack someone, so they at least have more trouble doing business with the third world.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

Suriyak is reporting that the Ukrainians are back trying to expand a bridgehead at Krynky again.. I'm kind of at a loss for how this kind of operation could possibly be authorized at a time when it seems that their lines are falling apart in the east of the country.

They can't "give up" on that operation without admitting that there is no way to cut off Crimea, and the Russians have absolutely no problem with a swamp-side shooting gallery.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Exactly. It's not 1938 anymore.

There's not British industry, French, German, even American or Japanese, that can produce the world's goods without China. Both in the sense that they industrialized, but also that they are dependant on Chinese inputs, or Chinese parts for their machine tools, or Chinese clothes for their workers.

The west loudly and proudly yelling "you're next" is the only one that matters, and that was entirely an own goal. Same deal with Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela. The US created a loose alliance of countries with no geographic or ideological links, simply by trying to do what Fukuyama suggested at the End of History. He thought the best thing for the system would be to occasionally have a few invigorating wars against "wildlife preserves" of not-western liberal capitalist democracy.

Certain countries would be preserved as "authoritarian" "totalitarian", whatever, that would be of peripheral or no importance, until it was time to go on safari and remind themselves why their system was superior.

I think he says verbatim at one point that an inspiration for this was the Third Punic War. Which is a staggering thing to say, but I guess the whole deal with the End of History is you could just blurt that out. So, having a Libya, Syria, Iraq, North Korea would give the US the opportunity, I forget if he says every 25 years or every 50, to reaffirm the march of liberal capitalist democracy across the globe, shake society out of decadent stupor, reinvigorate national purpose, get a W on the board, and then after a triumph get back to ... whatever it is happens at the End of History. Stasis?

Clearly nobody expected that when they wrote dozens of books about this, and gave speeches, and telegraphed their intentions, that any of these countries would talk to each other?

Yeah, and it's not 2004 anymore either. There you could point at France, Germany and Russia officially standing united in opposition to the Iraq war. Obviously, that was never real in material terms, but it was certainly a reason for the increased emphasis on stirring up poo poo with New Europe and NATO expansion afterwards. And they just kept doing it since it's much easier than doing something about China.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Starsfan posted:

The idea *kind of* made sense when it was in support of a broader offensive to try and drive to the south towards Crimea. In the absence of any broader plans for an offensive it just seems like sending in soldiers for the sake of holding on to a little clump of territory on the other side of the river for PR purposes.

Wow, they're still going for that

I know why they do it, for PR, but I still can't believe it nevertheless

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KomradeX posted:

I think they are trying to force China into picking sides becuase they think the USA can win a war against China

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Starsfan posted:

Suriyak is reporting that the Ukrainians are back trying to expand a bridgehead at Krynky again..

https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1783399451970715821

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://twitter.com/ojblanchard1/status/1783459692091519054

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Robert Solow Professor of economics emeritus, MIT Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics

he spend decades making himself this dumb

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what does the whole X say

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, this is the expected result of Western foreign policy, but even then it is saying something that there were already saying this before 2022 and Putin thought he could maybe still work it out.

Remember, Putin was not only a "child of the 1990s" but Zyuganov beyond coming close in 1996, but got a respectable 29.49% of the vote in 2000. Putin back in 2000 was very much the West's "Orban," in Russia as the communists (even in a diluted form) remained the "true threat" and it was assumed he would be loyal to his masters (and often was) until it simply became untenable. Even despite the 2008 Georgian War, he was still hobnobbing with Western leaders after his "demotion" to Prime Minister after they assumed any sort of real crisis was over.

He only really became a true subject of ire when he announced he was running again in 2011. It is also when Navalny got his start.

Btw, I flipped through Panzers of Prokhorovka, it is quite messy. I get what he is trying to say about Prokhorovka and that Tigers (according to German records) did better than assumed, but really makes a mess of what is probably could have been an single short journal article.

As far as the subject matter, his methodology is so all over the place it is hard to get a sense if he isn't under-counting/over-counting losses especially since he is utilizing different sources. Moreover, in conclusion...it is kind of a "so-what" situation, the Russians didn't win the battle with tanks but artillery, and even if a Tiger outshot a T-34 76mm 5 to 1...Soviet industry could handle that ratio better than German industry could. You could put your super-tank in an ideal situation and not only still lose the battle but ultimately lose more effective human and material resources than the enemy.

I get a sense as well this is a modern update on the "big cat"/force multiplier push from the Cold War, you don't need to compete with the enemy materially if your super-tank (or whatever) can out shoot them 10 to one. The problem with that is simply if 1. usually that doesn't happen, and 2. even if it did if the enemy can out produce your super tank more than 10 to one, it doesn't matter. Also, adaptations by the opposing force is going to be compounded, a T-34 85 is a much more even match while not being that more costly to build, and now you need a "super duper" tank which is going to bankrupt you.

Your more numerous T-34-85 can also do other stuff while not engaged in a tank slugfest while the big cat can't do as much since there are literally less of them. Having many armored box on thread with a 85mm cannon strapped on them beat having a few armored box with 88mm cannon strapped on them.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

What is this in reference to?

The guy not respecting quotes, generally giving off a bad posting vibe

KomradeX posted:

Considering how much more powerful we are than them, why don't we just stop them? :confused:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

MinutePirateBug posted:

What they really wanted is countries like Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Angola, and the stans to cut off trade with China. Who knows if they would actually do it in the event of war with China as the aggressor in Taiwan or the South China Sea.

I would imagine they wanted western companies to relocate manufacturing there first, wages must be lower than China, and there's no communist party to get in their way, other than Vietnam, and then have those countries cut off trade with China.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

https://twitter.com/Kathleen_Tyson_/status/1783482925696106590

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Post the whole thing if you are going to post them . come on

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the West getting really, really mad that they have an opponent who can shoot back in Russia and can't treat China like a colony

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

genericnick posted:

Yeah, and it's not 2004 anymore either. There you could point at France, Germany and Russia officially standing united in opposition to the Iraq war. Obviously, that was never real in material terms, but it was certainly a reason for the increased emphasis on stirring up poo poo with New Europe and NATO expansion afterwards. And they just kept doing it since it's much easier than doing something about China.

It always kills me how open American officials were about this, and France and Germany still let them expand NATO!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Biden is letting us down... really not doing enough to bring China or Russia to heel, imo. Time for a change in leadership come November.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I would imagine they wanted western companies to relocate manufacturing there first, wages must be lower than China, and there's no communist party to get in their way, other than Vietnam, and then have those countries cut off trade with China.

weird how this particular country still can make things at dirt cheap prices despite rising wages, after spending trillions on infrastructure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

e: beaten

lol a lot of mad bankers in the comments, which is a surprise.