Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

haveblue posted:

For whatever reason, twitter embeds still seem to work, but if you click on one you get a login prompt instead of an expanded tweet

They're busted on Discord at least. People are either posting screenshots or just not posting twitter links. Like it used to be that maybe 70% of the links on many chats were twitter links driving users to their sites and... nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I certainly moved out of Libertarianism (to the left) as I aged into my 30's.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

greatBigJerk posted:

There must some people who went back to Facebook because of the changes on Twitter and Reddit. It would be interesting to know how much it's user count changed.

Also pretty hilarious that Zuck looks like a slightly competent CEO when compared to Musk and Spez.

Facebook is making that Twitter competitor that will be compatible with ActivityPub so you'll presumably be able to chat with users on it in Mastodon without having to sign in directly with any Meta platforms. Assuming they don't get defederated of course which a lot of instance owners say they want to do.

Seems pretty pointless to defederate them for any privacy reasons. It's not like ActivityPub is a secure pipe or anything. Meta can just ingest the content regardless of whether you federate with them or not. Though if they do a lovely job of moderating like they've done with Facebook proper I could see why you'd do that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tuxedo Gin posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1675187969420828672

Musk implemented READ limits for all accounts. 600 tweets/day for non-paying accounts.

READ limits? Not POST limits?

I've... not heard of a social media website do that before.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

haveblue posted:

I mean, you have to hand it to him*, it does totally eliminate scraping. It’s just that no one else does it this way because achieving total freedom from scraping has other significant costs and tradeoffs and it’s usually better overall to tolerate scraping, which twitter is now rapidly discovering

*you do not under any circumstances etc etc

Usually the better solution is provide a cheap/free api with reasonable usage limits people can use to access your platform. This cuts out the vast majority of potential scrapers and loops them into a much more bandwidth and computationally cheap faucet. Then you can take more forceful tacts against people who scrape large amounts of data like banning those ip's without risking banning large portions of your userbase.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Really feels like we're at the start of another .com crash.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A Bad King posted:

Isn't "the federated web," just a remarketed and fancier version of the old web ring?

Not really, since it automates the whole process for following content streams across platforms and lets the user define which creators to follow rather than just the web-ring manager deciding who's in and who's not.

A closer analogy is an email newsletter that anyone can subscribe to.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Taking broken services off of free status and charging for them doesn't seem like a winning business move, but I guess that's why I'm not a CTO.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Popete posted:

I was gonna ask, is Threads a legit contender to Twitter? I can't imagine wanting to go from Twitter to a Meta product lol

I have no intention of using it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I dunno. I'd not posted anything to twitter in the last... 5ish years and had only used Nitter to pull out RSS feeds for artists to follow, which is algorithmless and just a timeline feed.

With Nitter being broken now I'm not even looking at twitter's content in any way, shape, or form aside from embeds people post on here/discord.

I've engaged with people more on Mastodon in the last few months than I have on Twitter in the last 5 years despite the lack of algorithm.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I've not really heard anyone else complaining about their name getting changed out the blue on Facebook. Ignoring the jab the poster made at sex workers, I also think it's more likely they were just logged in with their main account and didn't realize it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Clarste posted:

I don't think this distinction matters because it is absolutely trivial to find your real name if you are Facebook. Like, I don't understand how this is in question. The problem is that they aren't respecting your desire for privacy, not that finding your name is supposed to be hard.

Edit: Honestly it sounds kind of like victim-blaming, in that you're saying "if you really didn't want this to happen, you'd have been more careful about protecting your identity!"

I don't think anyone is victim blaming here or defending Meta. Folks just want to understand the actual potential threat surface and not operate under a misunderstanding of what Meta is capable/actually doing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I’ve apparently done a pretty good job covering up my metaphorical digital trail because my YouTube suggestions are just my subscriptions now with occasional very highly related videos. I never see stuff related to stuff I search for.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Oh gawd, it's happening.
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1682965644780904449?s=20
He's trying to resurrect his X brand again.

*has brand so recognizable that people use it as a verb to describe broadcasting shortish posts to any followers or people who view your profile on the order of Kleenex and tissue paper*

Let's trash this folks!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Should have just gone with the cool "S" imo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Musk can almost certainly trademark Unicode character (U+1D54F) over a black or black marble background. I don't this this is an issue.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's honestly kind of mind-boggling how he decided at like 3am on a Sunday that he was going to change the whole brand for the company, and rolled one out in like 24 hours. That's not how you run a 44 billion dollar company.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Young Freud posted:

I learn stuff over the last few hours that I wish I hadn't learned.

Apparently, someone found the post on the Internet Archive and found that it had 3.1 million views and was retweeted and bookmarked over a thousand times.

https://bsky.app/profile/faineg.bsky.social/post/3k3io7nrp742z

Why are people posting bluesky stuff? You can't even view it if you're not logged in.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Adenoid Dan posted:

They think there's an "investigator" exception that makes it ok.

There are human exceptions to access CSAM. I mean, people have to approve the bans in the absence of any automated method (and have to review appeals even with automatic bans). And people have to actually develop the blocking algos of course which requires access to the banned material to ensure it works correctly.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I haven't looked at a single Bluesky... post(?) yet because they don't let you see them without being logged in.

Everyone rightly complained when Twitter blocked access to tweets without being logged in and yet dipshits keep scrambling to join this stupid Jack-sponsored alternative which does exactly the same thing. They're even worse than Twitter in some ways from what I understand in that they have the users making their own blocklists rather than doing their own moderation.

I've been using Mastodon and been pretty happy with it. Firefish is also a promising alternative to Mastodon, built on same Activity pup api. It was branched from the japanese Misskey project a bit ago. It has a much more modern UI than Mastodon, though there's a few features it's missing, so I've not migrated over yet.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't think this paragraph of the letter is in any way defensible.

"Don't ban circumcision because it is a religious imperative in at least two major world religions"? I'm good with that. Go you. "Americans will think you're Nazis because you forbid circumcision"? Hell, Americans don't even call Nazis Nazis half the time, and very few of those 28% care enough about circumcision to boycott a vacation destination.

Do they think they're gonna put your foreskin back on if you visit the country???

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

To quote the great sage Dril. "You Do Not, Under Any Circumstances, "Gotta Hand It To Them"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

It's "transparency" about something that the government has no authority to regulate, and the only way it has teeth is if there are consequences for not reporting or inaccurately reporting what their moderation process is, which puts a burden on their ability to moderate their platform as they choose. I really don't think the courts are going to look at this favorably. It's just as stupid as all of the conservative social media laws that are getting instantly dumpstered in court.

I mean, the states have general "health, safety, and morals" legislative power under the 10th Amendment. It's quite broad except insofar as it is limited by the rest of the US Constitution or their own state laws and constitutions.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 9, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Clarste posted:

Who in the world is signing up for new Twitter accounts in this day and age anyway? Besides bots of course.

People aging into being allowed on the internet by their parents presumably.

Though I bet a parent would be way less willing to let them pay money for Twitter so it's a boon for the world!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Many nitter instances also have RSS feeds for the twitter accounts so you can follow them without Following them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

They still don't have any activity pub integration either.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The good ol' days where you had to co-op some obscure game's forum that no one uses to chat about whatever weird subculture you were interested in.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Threads gets a lot of movement just from the behemoth that is Facebook directing stuff its way.

Did they ever implement activitypub for it to integrate with mastodon?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Oh neat, I didn't realize that you can follow threads accounts on Mastadon now. I guess they enabled activitypub. No need to use facebook to for threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Unless your instance preemptively blocked threads.net from day one. Which a lot of them did.

Weird thing to do imo.

It's not like that'll stop facebook from hoovering up all that data from activitypub for their own advertising and ai purposes (it's public after all). And following people on threads isn't really meaningfully different from following an RSS feed.

And it's not like threads can start publishing ads on your local mastodon instance. You are only exposed to accounts you follow on mastodon. Facebook can't inject ads if you don't follow any threads people.