Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why are you not voting?
This poll is closed.
I am lazy. 34 10.76%
I am dumb. 26 8.23%
I don’t have eight hours to wait in line with no water. 16 5.06%
I lust for death. 49 15.51%
I am too principled to vote for an imperfect candidate. 31 9.81%
I smell like old hamburger meat. 25 7.91%
gently caress you OP, you’re not my dad. 62 19.62%
I am not American. 73 23.10%
Total: 186 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

World War Mammories posted:

we've been doing that for longer than I and most non-genesplicer posters have been alive and it's only resulted in further sliding to the right, for example as noted by hunter s thompson fifty years ago -

if this strategy were going to pay off, would we be reasonable to expect that to have happened within the past fifty years? what is the timeframe you predict?

or to hear it from someone more directly involved, lawrence o'donnell was a key aide to democratic senator daniel moynihan for years -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqRNnIMDkUY
to save the trouble of clicking through: “If you want to pull the party, the major party that is closest to the way you're thinking to what you’re thinking, you must - you must - show them that you’re capable of not voting for them. [...] If you don’t show them you’re capable of not voting for them, they don’t have to listen to you. I promise you that. I worked within the Democratic Party. I didn’t listen or have to listen to anything on the left in - while I was working within the Democratic Party, because the left had nowhere to go.”

a vote is a vote. it's worth the same amount whether you're enthusiastic or not. there's no asterisk that you can attach, no notes to append. the only possible leverage within electoralism is to withhold it. every single cycle dedicated to this futile holding action only lets the wound fester even more, because it enables the party that has made a career out of enabling fascists.

moreover, how many times does biden have to tell us that america "needs the republican party" and that he considers mitch mcconnell "a man of honor" and do poo poo like take a $200,000 gig to make a campaign speech for a republican in 2019 before you take him at his word? and the same for pelosi, schumer, and the rest of the democratic leadership. if they believe that democracy is at stake - as if america had a meaningful one in the first place - why don't they act like it?

anyway that's enough effort for one post. I voted today for the various referenda on the ballot and for the candidate closest to my views and I've done my civic duty

Sounds like a bunch of commie gobbledygook if you ask me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

World War Mammories posted:

we've been doing that for longer than I and most non-genesplicer posters have been alive and it's only resulted in further sliding to the right, for example as noted by hunter s thompson fifty years ago -

if this strategy were going to pay off, would we be reasonable to expect that to have happened within the past fifty years? what is the timeframe you predict?

or to hear it from someone more directly involved, lawrence o'donnell was a key aide to democratic senator daniel moynihan for years -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqRNnIMDkUY
to save the trouble of clicking through: “If you want to pull the party, the major party that is closest to the way you're thinking to what you’re thinking, you must - you must - show them that you’re capable of not voting for them. [...] If you don’t show them you’re capable of not voting for them, they don’t have to listen to you. I promise you that. I worked within the Democratic Party. I didn’t listen or have to listen to anything on the left in - while I was working within the Democratic Party, because the left had nowhere to go.”

a vote is a vote. it's worth the same amount whether you're enthusiastic or not. there's no asterisk that you can attach, no notes to append. the only possible leverage within electoralism is to withhold it. every single cycle dedicated to this futile holding action only lets the wound fester even more, because it enables the party that has made a career out of enabling fascists.

moreover, how many times does biden have to tell us that america "needs the republican party" and that he considers mitch mcconnell "a man of honor" and do poo poo like take a $200,000 gig to make a campaign speech for a republican in 2019 before you take him at his word? and the same for pelosi, schumer, and the rest of the democratic leadership. if they believe that democracy is at stake - as if america had a meaningful one in the first place - why don't they act like it?

anyway that's enough effort for one post. I voted today for the various referenda on the ballot and for the candidate closest to my views and I've done my civic duty

letting republicans turn the us into amerikkkanistan to own the libs, brave

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Pimpcasso posted:

Hey, this is the no voting thread not the gullible voting idiot thread

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Bishyaler posted:

Hey, this is the no voting thread not the gullible voting idiot thread

My bad!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pimpcasso posted:

Seriously. If we had voted the democrats into office last time they could have saved Roe v Wade. Hang on, I’m being handed a note…

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

so called "democracy" :rolleye:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

That DICK! posted:

I voted ladies. I will protect you

I had no idea who to vote for in the school board race so I just picked the women

I'm sure half are right wing psychos and half are hippie "I just love engaging to make the community more access" or whatever lib brained chicks think/say so hey, catfight!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pimpcasso posted:

A blisteringly stupid take. My retinas are smokin!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

McCracAttack posted:

I downloaded a sample ballot and I don’t see “legalize weed” on here anywhere. This is bullshit.

I did the same two weeks ago and it was on my ballot.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I did the same two weeks ago and it was on my ballot.

Can I have one of yours?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

McCracAttack posted:

Can I have one of yours?

I already mailed a few on goons behalves. My voter fraud station has been going at full capacity the past two weeks.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I democracied last night blasting thick ropes of pure freedom as I stuffed that ballot box.

you did this. i take no responsibility.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Pimpcasso posted:

the unfortunate reality we live in is that things have to get worse before they get better. nobody is happy about this. the democrats will never move left until they've been basically forced to do so through lack of votes

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

you can't spell flaws without laws

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

That DICK! posted:

you can't spell flaws without laws

also slaw

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

claws either. maws

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Elephant Ambush posted:

the unfortunate reality we live in is that things have to get worse before they get better. nobody is happy about this. the democrats will never move left until they've been basically forced to do so through lack of votes

Hrm... If I'm suffering from a lack of votes, do I try to appease a small, hardcore fraction of the least-popular political wing in the country, or do I just say "gently caress it" and write them off while trying to go for the voters who outnumber them 10-to-1?

We've seen this exact strategy fail over and over for literally my entire life. Ross Perot's candidacy helped get Clinton elected. There are a million dead Iraqis because Ralph Nader decided that Al Gore wasn't liberal enough. The "Vote Ron Paul/Audit The Fed/Kill Your Parents" crowd giving up on Republicans helped flip the House to the Democrats in 2006.

But the nasty secret here is that a lot of these folks trying to claim their ideological purity will prevent them from choosing the least-worst options are actually extremely comfortable and don't actually stand to suffer any consequences at all from Republican rule. They are privileged enough to enjoy the luxury of making other people suffer for their politics.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

ReidRansom posted:

you did this. i take no responsibility.

gonna go change my vote for whoever promises to kill all humans, we've earned it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

LanceHunter posted:

Hrm... If I'm suffering from a lack of votes, do I try to appease a small, hardcore fraction of the least-popular political wing in the country, or do I just say "gently caress it" and write them off while trying to go for the voters who outnumber them 10-to-1?

We've seen this exact strategy fail over and over for literally my entire life. Ross Perot's candidacy helped get Clinton elected. There are a million dead Iraqis because Ralph Nader decided that Al Gore wasn't liberal enough. The "Vote Ron Paul/Audit The Fed/Kill Your Parents" crowd giving up on Republicans helped flip the House to the Democrats in 2006.

But the nasty secret here is that a lot of these folks trying to claim their ideological purity will prevent them from choosing the least-worst options are actually extremely comfortable and don't actually stand to suffer any consequences at all from Republican rule. They are privileged enough to enjoy the luxury of making other people suffer for their politics.

lol most poor people don't vote because they either can't due to having to work or because they have correctly figured out (based on history and facts) that neither party will improve their material conditions

this idea that all leftists are "comfy six figgy computer touchers" and are the only ones who don't vote is pretty hilarious

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
My government teacher in my very affluent high school was a hardline Dem. She said that the fact that the US doesn't make election day a national holiday is a positive, because it means people have to make sacrifices to participate in democracy

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Elephant Ambush posted:

lol most poor people don't vote because they either can't due to having to work or because they have correctly figured out (based on history and facts) that neither party will improve their material conditions

this idea that all leftists are "comfy six figgy computer touchers" and are the only ones who don't vote is pretty hilarious

Not all leftists are that, but a plurality of the leftists angry-posting on the Something Awful forums in TYOOL 2022 fit that definition perfectly.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So when do we start the violent uprising?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

LanceHunter posted:

Not all leftists are that, but a plurality of the leftists angry-posting on the Something Awful forums in TYOOL 2022 fit that definition perfectly.

hmm

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I have better things to do. Not voting for Roller McHateswomen or Beta O’Dork. These tree limbs ain’t gonna move themselves.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

LanceHunter posted:

This is true, unfortunately. The only thing that divides a polite suburban liberal and a hooting right wing reactionary is the latter feels like their home value is being threatened or their taxes may increase.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i believe in equal rights...and LEFTS!!!!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Business Gorillas posted:

This is true, unfortunately. The only thing that divides a polite suburban liberal and a hooting right wing reactionary is the latter feels like their home value is being threatened or their taxes may increase.

no rich liberals get upset about that too and also vote nimby for the same reasons

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

goatface posted:

what better place than now

what better time than here

aw yeah everybody have a good time

~rage against the machine

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
the dems simped too hard in my inbox, and sorry, I have standards

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

LanceHunter posted:

Hey everybody look at this dumb motherfucker. Neoliberals are subhuman trash.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Be honest: How much of your trust fund do you donate to the Chapo Trap House patreon each month?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Parties in a democracy (even, or perhaps especially in a lovely one that doesn't work on popular vote) need to appeal to the population to win elections. The fact that the population is stupid and has dumb ideas doesn't change that reality.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

When that fatso beard guy from Chapo yells "charge".

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

feelix posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Parties in a democracy (even, or perhaps especially in a lovely one that doesn't work on popular vote) need to appeal to the population to win elections. The fact that the population is stupid and has dumb ideas doesn't change that reality.

Democrats could easily appeal to the population by doing good things for them like raising minimum wage and giving them health care and codifying abortion as a right and cancelling student debt and making weed legal nationwide and putting abusive cops in jail and taxing the poo poo out of billionaires

In the last 15 years Democrats had 2 majorities and never did any of that stuff and those are all big reasons we got Trump

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Elephant Ambush posted:

Democrats could easily appeal to the population by doing good things for them like raising minimum wage and giving them health care and codifying abortion as a right and cancelling student debt and making weed legal nationwide and putting abusive cops in jail and taxing the poo poo out of billionaires

In the last 15 years Democrats had 2 majorities and never did any of that stuff and those are all big reasons we got Trump

I don't think the Democratic party are strategic geniuses or anything, but at least some of the things you listed are pretty far from slam dunks as far as mass appeal, especially when you consider that these initiatives would not exist in a vacuum and would have to contend with GOP attacks. It is entirely conceivable that jailing pigs, for example, would be a net loss in support after all is said and done.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sorry, best they can do is sing a little song while the republicans advance their agenda and overturn Roe v Wade despite their election losses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73WCOXWhogQ

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
poo poo I just got outta rehab I didn't know I was supposed to do it today oops. Politics are outside my hula hoop of control anyway.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

i must compose posted:

poo poo I just got outta rehab I didn't know I was supposed to do it today oops. Politics are outside my hula hoop of control anyway.

I hope your rehab helped

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Elephant Ambush posted:

I hope your rehab helped

:same:

I was planning on doing a week or so soon but I have some poo poo coming up and I have to figure out finances because the VA detox/rehab is not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Pimpcasso posted:

da libs have been helping republicans turn us into amerikkkanistan to own the proles, dude, I don't know how to make it much clearer.

LanceHunter posted:

you should look up the polling on issues like government health care, whether a public option or medicare for all, or raising the minimum wage. it's a lot more than the proportion of people that describe themselves as "liberal." why? because people respond to the material conditions that surround them, not abstract ideological concerns. meanwhile, the democrats are trying it your way - chasing the supposed 10-to-1 majority. is that paying off tonight?