Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z3QKkl1WyM

Official Disney Summary: Queen Ramonda (Angela Bassett), Shuri (Letitia Wright), M’Baku (Winston Duke), Okoye (Danai Gurira) and the Dora Milaje (including Florence Kasumba), fight to protect their nation from intervening world powers in the wake of King T’Challa’s death. As the Wakandans strive to embrace their next chapter, the heroes must band together with the help of War Dog Nakia (Lupita Nyong’o) and Everett Ross (Martin Freeman) and forge a new path for the kingdom of Wakanda.

Made in the shadow of Chadwick Boseman's death, Disney declined to recast the role, a decision supported by some fans as respectful to his legacy while criticized by others, including the late actor's brother speaking on his understanding of his brother's preferences. The sequel instead focuses on how the fictional kingdom of Wakanda will carry on without its protector and, implicitly, how the MCU will move on from losing one of its brighter stars. It introduces the villain/sometimes-antihero Namor (Roman spelled backwards), an oceanic mutant that interacted with numerous parts of the Marvel comics universe. It also sets up the hero Ironheart, who will have a series on Disney+ in late 2023.

Director and writer Ryan Coogler returns from the original.

Primary Cast
Angela Bassett as Ramonda
Letitia Wright as Shuri
Winston Duke as M'Baku
Danai Gurira as Ogoye
Florence Kasumba as Ayo
Lupita Nyong’o as Nakia
Martin Freeman as Everett Ross
Tenoch Huerta as Namor the Sub-Mariner
Dominique Thorne as Riri aka Ironheart
Michaela Coel as Aneka
Mabel Cadena as Namora
Alex Livanalli as Attuma

The film fully opens November 11, though, as usual, that actually means November 10.

Some "top critics" reviews from Rotten Tomatoes, where it sits at 85% on the evening of November 10th:

Positive
"To a much greater degree than I would have thought possible, Wakanda Forever is a gajillion-dollar comic-book blockbuster about something as complex and interior as the act of female mourning, split among at least four different strong woman protagonists."
– Dana Stevens, Slate

"Tragedy has always been an easy win for Marvel, laying waste to worlds so that chiselled heroes can gaze damp-eyed into the middle distance. Now, real life has shocked the glib out of the operation. For the first time... the tears actually mean something."
– Danny Leigh, Financial Times

"Chadwick Boseman is deeply missed in a sequel that still checks all the right boxes for Marvel fans."
Rafer Guzman, Newsday

"Director/co-writer Ryan Coogler packed each of the 141 minutes of 'Wakanda' with good stuff."
Chris Hewitt, Minneapolis Star Tribune

Negative
"'Black Panther: Wakanda Forever' might have its heart in the right place but is in the wrong mindset and in the worst space—at the center of a contrived cinematic universe—to mourn on its own terms."
Robert Daniels, RogerEbert.com

"Regrettably, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever tries to do so many things that it comes across as threadbare and pallid — less a failure of imagination and more of circumstance, time, and narrative constraints."
– Angelica Jade Bastién, New York Magazine/Vulture

Please use spoiler tags for this thread for the first couple of weeks to allow people who don't watch it opening weekend to have the opportunity to see some spoiler-free discussion. Spoiler-tag-free posting can begin on Thanksgiving (US, November 24).

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I was going to make a BP thread but as a poo poo post so thank you for making this instead.

I’m gonna see it tonight

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gatts posted:

I was going to make a BP thread but as a poo poo post so thank you for making this instead.

I’m gonna see it tonight

I'll be watching it Tuesday, so I'll need to avoid this thread until then.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

thought it was pretty okay

i liked a lot of it despite the fairly weak and unnecessary addition of ri-ri/ironheart, whose introduction and backstory deserves more attention and appreciation. Is she getting her own show or anything? that felt like one plot thread too many. the movie suffered as a result.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

my cat is norris posted:

thought it was pretty okay

i liked a lot of it despite the fairly weak and unnecessary addition of ri-ri/ironheart, whose introduction and backstory deserves more attention and appreciation. Is she getting her own show or anything? that felt like one plot thread too many. the movie suffered as a result.

She is, yes.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Just got home from seeing it. Honestly not impressed. Namor is such a better character in the comics. Plot is predictable, characters are flat and uninteresting, even the soundtrack is boring. I expected a lot more after I loved the original. Reviews seem to be glowing so maybe I'm just not vibing with it but I wish I hadn't wasted almost 3 hours in a theater on that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Give the people what they want. More M'Baku.

I don't have too much to say. I thought it was probably the best crop of Marvel movies this year but that's not an incredibly high bar to clear.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Just got home from the movie. Absolutely loved it. As a sequel, it's the best direct sequel since Winter Soldier. Elevates everything from the original and explores some interesting things.

I may have more to say tomorrow once I've really digested it, but a few initial impressions...

-- Yeah it was long but I never once checked the time like I did during Eternals. I felt the pacing was good.

-- Overall, some of the best performances in an MCU entry. Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Angela Bassett... all very good. But Tenoch Huerta owned every scene he was in and I'm in awe of how great of an interpretation we got for Namor. Just, wow.

-- My only gripe was how as excited as I was to get one of my favorite new Marvel characters on screen, Riri Williams, she really felt like a studio mandate. Her inclusion in the third act was pretty pointless and a distraction from an otherwise excellent story. She deserved more development than what she got and could have been handled better. I had several issues with that whole part because it was so nonsensical.

-- Ludwig Goransson's score was fantastic. Really captured the emotional weight and intensity pitch perfectly from beginning to end.

-- I was critical of the idea that they simply couldn't recast T'Challa, but I'm happy I was wrong. The way its handled was great and I'm eager to see how they develop Toussaint, aka, T'Challa Jr.

-- I was really struck by the final scene with Shuri. She meets her nephew and her performance is stellar. I liked how you could absolutely tell she was joyous to realize part of her brother lived, but that one more thing was due to be taken away from her; the throne.

-- I'm glad we have a slightly better understanding of who Val serves.

Strong rear end movie. Can't wait to get a chance to rewatch.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

"Regrettably, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever tries to do so many things that it comes across as threadbare and pallid — less a failure of imagination and more of circumstance, time, and narrative constraints."
– Angelica Jade Bastién, New York Magazine/Vulture

The movie grew on me a lot as I was watching it and I came out mostly positive on it, but I agree with most of Angelica Jade Bastien's review above. Mostly I think the weight of so many pressures to be basically a seminal work for the Black community as well as mourning its star both on and offscreen are bound to result in some missteps. The action doesn't feel as good as Black Panther even though there are some cool setups, but it overachieves by expanding the series' grappling with colonialism to show how it drives minority groups apart, even if the idea isn't explored very thoroughly.

There is a whole lot of talent in this movie though, and for the most part I think they're used fairly well.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Ruthkanda forever

🙅‍♂️

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Doronin posted:

-- I was critical of the idea that they simply couldn't recast T'Challa, but I'm happy I was wrong. The way its handled was great and I'm eager to see how they develop Toussaint, aka, T'Challa Jr.

Strong rear end movie. Can't wait to get a chance to rewatch.

How are they going to "develop" that character? He's like 5 years old. They would have to extend the timeline forward more than they ever had in the MCU.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Caseman posted:

How are they going to "develop" that character? He's like 5 years old. They would have to extend the timeline forward more than they ever had in the MCU.

They're gonna put him in the Hypertonic Lion Tamer

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I mostly liked it (the supporting cast from the original and Namor are great, and it largely sticks the landing on the big emotional beats), but it's hard to deny that it's overlong and lumpily paced, lacking in thematic and narrative cohesion compared to the first film. Some of that was probably inevitable given the circumstances under which it had to be made - I'm not sure it would ever have been possible to seamlessly work Chadwick Boseman's death into the Wakanda vs. Namor story that Coogler et al had originally intended to tell - but there are some pretty obvious areas where secondary characters could have had their roles reduced or cut altogether with some smart rewrites. Namely, Martin Freeman probably shouldn't have had more than a cameo here, and while Dominique Thorne is fine as Riri Williams/Ironheart, the script could easily have instigated a conflict between Wakanda and Talokan without giving that role to a new superhero with her own character arc.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I felt it was just kinda slow and dull. M'Baku and Namor are the best bits as everyone suspected they would be. But the majority of the movie is just very straight-ahead, tell-don't-show exposition which, in a nearly 3 hour long movie, just got tedious.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Between work and having to take care of a family member for a while, I won't be able to see this for a couple weeks. But for those who have seen it (without spoilers): How is Namor? I was completely blown away when he was introduced in the trailer (I keep out of production news on movies I'm looking forward to) and hope that one of my favorite old school Marvel characters is done right, including updating him for the 21st century.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He's smug and cruel and regal and terrifying when he needs to be, a good Namor. Even gave a wildly Meso-American character a good enough reason to be called Namor.

e: Also not as badass as he thinks he is, which is good.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 11, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mulva posted:

He's smug and cruel and regal and terrify when he needs to be, a good Namor. Even gave a wildly Meso-American character a good enough reason to be called Namor.

Fukkin' A. This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, Namor is easily the best bit of the movie, to the point where plenty of the scenes gave me "...but what's Namor up to" feelings. Give him his own movie.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I missed this bit in the OP: is this referring to one quote from Boseman’s brother? seems like bait but ok

quote:

Made in the shadow of Chadwick Boseman's death, Disney opted to ignore his dying wishes and those of his family, and declined to recast the role.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rewrote it to be more neutral. I didn't want to ignore the issue, but I'm not interested in starting an argument about it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Namor is rad I want to see more of him.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

First movie was so good, this one was such a bummer.

- i felt like I sat through a 3 hour funeral wake, crying and all.

- maybe it was my theater but a lot of the scenes were way too dark

- iron heart was cool, but felt really out of place. the introduction of her final suit was treated with the same reverence as iron man 1 but wasn't earned in any way, she could be cut entirely and it would make little difference

- the cgi was so rough in places it took me out of the movie

- love M'Baku, I would watch his movie

- a lot of things felt shoehorned in because Disney is making too much marvel poo poo

Overall, it wasn't terrible, better than Thor, but was a slog.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What was with the mid credits sequence? I might have missed something but was it dramatically revealed that T'Challa had a son only for the son to sit down and dramatically reveal that he is the son of T'Challa? We literally heard that 30 seconds ago....

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just watching the credits now and I loved it. It was so great seeing a major blockbuster being led entirely by black women (and Winston Duke). It was incredibly beautiful both in visuals and sound. The trip to Talokan alone is the highlight of phase 4. Namor's a super antagonist and the Talokans are presented so well, can't wait to see more of them. I totally cried at the tribute Marvel logo

The only bad bit was the much hyped LGBTQ+ content inevitably being one scene they can cut for the Middle East. Oh and I guess all the Everett Ross scenes were pretty pointless

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I just saw it, great movie, strong way to end phase 4.

Favourite bit: Ironheart having her Stark homage moment where she's trying to fly up 20,000 ft only to pass out and fall back down, very different circumstances from Stark's but I think it helps differentiate her character from Tony. But yeah I loved that moment a lot.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Looten Plunder posted:

What was with the mid credits sequence? I might have missed something but was it dramatically revealed that T'Challa had a son only for the son to sit down and dramatically reveal that he is the son of T'Challa? We literally heard that 30 seconds ago....

Yeah, that was a thing that happened. There were several scenes where any subtext was text. Towards the end there was also the scene with Namor and one of the Atlantean characters (did any of them have any development?) where he explains just why Shuri spared him and how that's a good thing. Which I thought we got in all of the flashbacks as she was about to kill him, but maybe it was needed.

I thought it was okay. A few scenes seemed to start at odd places, like they could really have used either a little more time or a little less. Several scenes felt like they were missing middle distance shots, we would only see characters in close ups and not with the person they were talking to. I'm assuming this was due to all of the Covid restrictions.

I didn't enjoy much of the action. It felt flat and hard to follow in spots, especially the final big fight. I also was really not clear if the Atlanteans could be killed. They seemed to regenerate for most of the movie, were all of the Wakandans just really on a suicide mission? The giant ship was a terrible battle plan.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fell Fire posted:

Yeah, that was a thing that happened. There were several scenes where any subtext was text. Towards the end there was also the scene with Namor and one of the Atlantean characters (did any of them have any development?) where he explains just why Shuri spared him and how that's a good thing. Which I thought we got in all of the flashbacks as she was about to kill him, but maybe it was needed.

I thought it was okay. A few scenes seemed to start at odd places, like they could really have used either a little more time or a little less. Several scenes felt like they were missing middle distance shots, we would only see characters in close ups and not with the person they were talking to. I'm assuming this was due to all of the Covid restrictions.

I didn't enjoy much of the action. It felt flat and hard to follow in spots, especially the final big fight. I also was really not clear if the Atlanteans could be killed. They seemed to regenerate for most of the movie, were all of the Wakandans just really on a suicide mission? The giant ship was a terrible battle plan.

I interpreted that Namor scene a little different: It wasn't him re-explaning things for the audience, it was him justifying/rationalizing events to molify Namora, like he's doing the equivalent of "We didn't want that POS anyways." and how it's all still going to keikaku.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It didn’t seem so much as restating as explaining: He’s going to make them pay when Wakanda eventually comes and asks for help.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
On the flipside of over explaining things, Namoor's initial origin story explanation was fantastic but for him to cap it off with "and that is why I have to kill the scientist" was laughable. None of what he said beforehand justified that reasoning.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Loved everything about Namor. I agree with the above interpretation and hope he sticks around for a while as an antagonist.

Movie could have been shorter. A lot of the mourning scenes felt like it was just the same thing again and again. Not moving the plot or characters forward.

Ironheart was ok. I enjoyed the scenes in Boston. But after that she did feel like an afterthought. Especially when Shuri invented her own Ironman suits for the Dora Milaje. Too many Ironwomen at that point.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Zero One posted:

Ironheart was ok. I enjoyed the scenes in Boston. But after that she did feel like an afterthought. Especially when Shuri invented her own Ironman suits for the Dora Milaje. Too many Ironwomen at that point.

The worst part of the movie is Okoye's ridiculous looking suit.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Invalid Validation posted:

It didn’t seem so much as restating as explaining: He’s going to make them pay when Wakanda eventually comes and asks for help.

That's how I read that scene, too. Basically, a very Namor thing to do.

Caseman posted:

something, something quantum realm, multiverse.... hell if I know. I'm just interested to see what they do with a 7 or 8 year old heir to Wakanda.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Doronin posted:

That's how I read that scene, too. Basically, a very Namor thing to do.

something, something quantum realm, multiverse.... hell if I know. I'm just interested to see what they do with a 7 or 8 year old heir to Wakanda.

I assumed M’Baku is King now. So they have some time until Jr. shows up again during Young Avengers 2.5: Civil War II

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

I assumed M’Baku is King now. So they have some time until Jr. shows up again during Young Avengers 2.5: Civil War II

This is what I came to ask about. What's up with that scene? Isn't Black Panther/Shuri the queen? How can he challenge for the throne if the ruler isn't there to accept the challenge?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Looten Plunder posted:

This is what I came to ask about. What's up with that scene? Isn't Black Panther/Shuri the queen? How can he challenge for the throne if the ruler isn't there to accept the challenge?

Maybe he's serving as her champion? Since you have to fight without the Panther juice, which Shuri probably wouldn't be able to win a challenge without it. So I imagine its either that or she basically stepped down to let someone else rule Wakanda while she focuses on being a superhero and inventor.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I interpreted that Namor scene a little different: It wasn't him re-explaning things for the audience, it was him justifying/rationalizing events to molify Namora, like he's doing the equivalent of "We didn't want that POS anyways." and how it's all still going to keikaku.

That makes sense. I think I'm tired of the Marvel formula where 99% of problems can be solved through violence.

Re: M'baku and Shuri as queen. I took it as her abdication and deciding she wouldn't be a very good queen, but is still Black Panther. I was a bit confused as to why rule passed up to her mother after T'Challa's death, anyway. Did she defeat any challenges?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fell Fire posted:

That makes sense. I think I'm tired of the Marvel formula where 99% of problems can be solved through violence.

Re: M'baku and Shuri as queen. I took it as her abdication and deciding she wouldn't be a very good queen, but is still Black Panther. I was a bit confused as to why rule passed up to her mother after T'Challa's death, anyway. Did she defeat any challenges?

I dunno any of the lore in the comics but Wouldn't be surprised if she (the Queen) was like from a powerful tribe/clan and it isn't wholly without precedent, ie the Chinese Dowager Empress and Empress Wu. Wakanda already went through a lot of instability and letting her rule in a caretaker role makes sense until it can be passed to someone else.

I am also similarly tired of MCU movies killing off antagonists as they appear, so this was a nice change of pace.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

One of the better ones they've put out in a while. I still think it's very gross how hard they're capitalizing on Chadwick Boseman's death to make an entire movie about it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Raenir Salazar posted:

I am also similarly tired of MCU movies killing off antagonists as they appear, so this was a nice change of pace.

Figure that eventually Namor will get his own movie like Black Adam did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty crazy how bad all these bilion dollar grossing, 200 million dollar Marvel movies look at times.