Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Maybe I was just in a screen with a crappy projector but it was really hard to see what was going on in this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Invalid Validation posted:

Namor is rad I want to see more of him.

I'm pumped for the inevitable Namor/Doom supervillain team-up.

Looten Plunder posted:

What was with the mid credits sequence? I might have missed something but was it dramatically revealed that T'Challa had a son only for the son to sit down and dramatically reveal that he is the son of T'Challa? We literally heard that 30 seconds ago....

I was making Forest Gump jokes about that bit on the way home, but my wife feels that T'Challa Jr.'s line at the end was less about driving home his identity and more about showing that he understands his role in everything. In no way has he been kept in the dark about who he is. He knows his birthright and he's going to one day go for that throne.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Movie was great, better than the first one imo but I couldn't help but keep thinking how it would've been if Boseman was still alive, likely just as good I think. Namor stole every scene he was in and I just want to see more of him now, I hope he gets a solo movie eventually.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
re: Namor, imo, a smarter rewrite of the opening would have had some of the Talokanil getting attacked and killed by Westerners looking for vibranium, instead of the scene we actually get, in which Talokan comes off as the aggressor by killing people who merely stumbled onto their vibranium (even if they no doubt had bad intentions for it). Would have given them a more sympathetic reason for blaming Wakanda and going to war.

also, Ruth Carter and Ludwig Goransson continue to be behind-the-scenes MVPs here. The costume designs are once again incredible and the new Black Panther's theme absolutely slaps

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Movie was great, better than the first one imo but I couldn't help but keep thinking how it would've been if Boseman was still alive, likely just as good I think. Namor stole every scene he was in and I just want to see more of him now, I hope he gets a solo movie eventually.

I think the main thing that would be different if Boseman was alive would be that this movie wouldn't be three drat hours long.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ruth Carter forever

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think the main thing that would be different if Boseman was alive would be that this movie wouldn't be three drat hours long.

I don’t know all the details of the preproduction timeline here, but parts of WF definitely feel like Coogler and Cole weren’t given enough time to rewrite the script after Boseman’s death, even if “first draft” might be too harsh.

as I said above, I also wonder if attempting to deal with Boseman’s death and do Namor in one movie was always going to be a case of Coogler et al biting off more than they could chew, and maybe they should have ditched Namor in favor of a different antagonist that allowed them to keep the focus on Wakanda in the wake of T’Challa’s death

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 12, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

I don’t know all the details of the preproduction timeline here, but parts of WF definitely feel like Coogler and Cole weren’t given enough time to rewrite the script after Boseman’s death, even if “first draft” might be too harsh.

as I said above, I also wonder if attempting to deal with Boseman’s death and do Namor in one movie was always going to be a case of Coogler et al biting off more than they could chew, and maybe they should have ditched Namor in favor of a different antagonist that allowed them to keep the focus on Wakanda in the wake of T’Challa’s death

I actually like that they used Namor and let him be such a big villain. It gave the film a sense of scope that most MCU movies don't even though they're all about world-ending crises. I also assume the movie would've hit the same big beats with T'Challa, it'd just be him dealing with the fallout of his announcement instead of Shuri and Ramonda.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
As usual, the marvel movie breaks down when it comes time for the final punch battle between 500 nameless faceless baddies and our team of 6 heroes and 500 expendable extras.

Maybe instead of a giant battle that has a duel going on inside it, we could end a movie with a small fight featuring only the cool dudes?

Also, the good guys kept punching the bad guys into the water.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Speleothing posted:

As usual, the marvel movie breaks down when it comes time for the final punch battle between 500 nameless faceless baddies and our team of 6 heroes and 500 expendable extras.

Maybe instead of a giant battle that has a duel going on inside it, we could end a movie with a small fight featuring only the cool dudes?

It was definitely noticeable that Namor was the only significant sea person. He names a couple of others (I think siblings or something?) but they don't actually do anything to distinguish themselves from the other blue people, and you can't really tell most of them apart anyway because of the water masks.

Also weird that this movie about underwater blue people is releasing so close to the underwater Avatar movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Speleothing posted:

There were two small fights with cool dudes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

stev posted:

It was definitely noticeable that Namor was the only significant sea person. He names a couple of others (I think siblings or something?) but they don't actually do anything to distinguish themselves from the other blue people, and you can't really tell most of them apart anyway because of the water masks.

Also weird that this movie about underwater blue people is releasing so close to the underwater Avatar movie.

It's a weird Hollywood thing where there's always like two dueling movies with similarities; like a Bugs Life and Ants were nearly at the same time right?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is this the first MCU property to use the word 'Mutant'?

Also the Vibranium that gave the Talokan's their abilities also giving them the ability to sirensong was super random

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 13, 2022

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Best part of this movie was M'Baku's face/reaction after seeing that killer whale underwater in Wakanda

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Away all Goats posted:

Is this the first MCU property to use the word 'Mutant'?

Ms Marvel used it and then they played the 90s X-Men theme sting

stev posted:

He names a couple of others (I think siblings or something?)

The main Talokan woman was Namora (his cousin) and the big beefy dude who kept fighting Okoye was Attuma (his main antagonist)

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I thought it was really weird that no one though what I assumed was kind of an obvious way to deal with Riri was just to keep her under house arrest or something. Going 0 to murder so quick made it feel kind of a contrived conflict between Namor and Wakanda.

There was also the laughable "we have defeated you and have you at our mercy, we will not leave and return one week later so you can defeat us then"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's a weird Hollywood thing where there's always like two dueling movies with similarities; like a Bugs Life and Ants were nearly at the same time right?

Volcano and Dante's Peak also came out the same year.

TheChaff
Oct 1, 2004

It's a' me, Mario !!!

Gavok posted:

I'm pumped for the inevitable Namor/Doom supervillain team-up.
I had this thought too.an idea for Latveria to put it in line with Wakanda and talokan is to make it a postwar Soviet created haven for Jews and Romani that also is hiding some sought after resource.having a megalomaniacal wizard named Dr Doom leading a nation of Romani and Jewish people would be a bad look though.

I was making Forest Gump jokes about that bit on the way home, but my wife feels that T'Challa Jr.'s line at the end was less about driving home his identity and more about showing that he understands his role in everything. In no way has he been kept in the dark about who he is. He knows his birthright and he's going to one day go for that throne.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

stev posted:

My screening was preceded by trailers for both Ava2ar and The Little Mermaid so it definitely felt like a lotta fish in one place.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Am I just imagining it or did I keep hearing some of the musical cues from the Quantumania trailer throughout Wakanda Forever? Like the high low high 3 notes?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Well I thought this movie was absolutely loving beautiful and incredible and a fantastic exploration of a grief through the lens of some cape poo poo. A little long maybe, but I couldnt care less given the dire drought of good Marvel content. I was happy to sit and watch this even at its slow moments because I sat through tens of more hours more of absolute trash for the past few years.

This makes every other Phase 4 MCU effort look like a pathetic joke.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 13, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah Strange 2 was great.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It was fine at best

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Multiverse of Madness is fine but it's still just an MCU movie while Wakanda Forever feels more like a real movie in a real series.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Strange 2 was the best MCU movie entirely because it got Sam Raimi out of self imposed retirement and now he’s making movies again

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Eternals was pretty good too. Somehow it succeeded in getting audiences to like the (as I understand it to be) most dense and esoteric unapproachable marvel content in the whole franchise.

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

I thought it was really weird that no one though what I assumed was kind of an obvious way to deal with Riri was just to keep her under house arrest or something. Going 0 to murder so quick made it feel kind of a contrived conflict between Namor and Wakanda.

There was also the laughable "we have defeated you and have you at our mercy, we will not leave and return one week later so you can defeat us then"

A thing to understand is what's Namors motivations and cultural context. Namely, Namor wants Wakanda, and its advanced technology to be willing allies against the world. The oceans might be 70% of the world's surface and there's a lot of rivers but that's still 30% and a bunch of advanced nations he needs help with with who knows how many superheroes that can go toe to toe with him. Destroying Wakanda if there's still a chance at getting them to bend the knee doesn't advance his goals.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I wish the lines of the film's true villain, Valentina, were treated with more gravity. Maybe it just feels trite because it's Julia Louis-Dreyfus so it feels like she's going to bung up this American imperialist initiative in the way Selina Kyle or Elaine Benes would. The line about wanting to destabilize Wakanda really should play as a big supervillain line, but it feels like a joke. Then again, I never watched any of the Winter Soldier show so maybe she's better established there.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I guess Thanos and his army could have just swam into Wakanda in Infinity War.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder if Namor was snapped. No one ever talks about whether they were snapped anymore. :(

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Namor is awesome. The way he flies is similar to how fish dart to and fro in water. The slow motion shots during the punch-out near the end of the film really showed how powerful he is. His chip on the shoulder attitude, rage at the above world, everything. Can't believe we got an impressive on screen namor.

Now, his reasoning behind demanding the death of a young civilian student? That was so unforgivably stupid I instinctively de-invested from the film. It didn't make sense from any angle, lazy and dumb.

Okoye and the Dora milaje are always awesome, as is the queen. The scene where they fight off soldiers cut with the queen clowning on world leaders was maybe my favorite part.

Ultimately I had to stop wondering and asking "why/how" because it was obvious that would ruin the film. For instance, the capital of wakanda being so defenseless even as they knew they faced an aquatic invasion? There was a bit of a battle, but considering wakanda is the most advanced and powerful nation on Earth I was really scratching my head at their decision to all but have Namor pop out of the royal toilet and take out the queen. These guys held off thanos's forces for a significant time, but mermaids effortlessly topple them?

I don't know anything about midnight angel or ironheart, but as the movie went on I found it very hard to care about any of the different people zipping around. They put all their troops on a boat and sailed out to sea, in order to fight the denizens of the ocean. I was frankly dissapointed I didn't see more casualties (aside from the scores of nameless soldiers), and by the time shuri internalized the exact lesson Tchala learned in his first film, I was kinda hoping one or both of them would die just so any of it might feel like it mattered.

I really like black panther 1, I'm honestly somewhat dissapointed in this sequel. It wasn't bad, but it felt more like a popcorn/iron man film where you shut your brain off and watch the pew pews. It's crime is being a sequel to a movie I was much more engaged in.

On that note, I thought Boseman was a great black panther and it's a shame we lost him. I was moved by the memorial opening splash they did years ago... but... I know this movie was thematically about his loss and legacy, yet there's some real diminishing returns going on with constantly bringing him up. Maybe covid put the film further away from his death than they intended, but that line of thinking still seems to cheapen the dudes early demise.

I didn't hate this, but really really wish I liked it more. Still incomparably better than WW84, which I was so dissapointed in after liking the original I wanted to yell at its creators. Plus there was a bus of young black kids in the theater and its clear they were very invested, most respectful and quiet "theater packed with kids" I've ever encountered. At the end I heard one girl sniffling about how alone shuri must feel. So representation-wise, maybe it just wasn't made for me and that's fine.

Also yes the shots are visually very dark, it wasn't just your theater.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I kinda feel like Namor's reasoning isn't really all that different from IRL nations, such as Israel w.r.t Iran's scientists. it's not without precedent.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
To echo BRJurgis above, I watched this today in a packed theater in Atlanta. I didn't stand up and take count like a weirdo, but I'm fairly certain I was in the minority of white people in the room. In a crowd of adults, teenagers and little children, barely anybody talked, let alone yelled, someone's phone rang once and they scrambled to turn it off, everyone stayed seated for the mid-credit scene, and clapped at the end.

There was a level of respect for the movie I think I've only seen in arthouse films or for screened documentaries.

I don't know that I would rank this movie as the most fun I've had watching a comic book flick, but it certainly managed to impress on me how significant it was.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

More like Wakanda Taking Forever! The opening created a very palpable sense of urgency and also the most effective emotional beat in the whole movie, after which it really didn't need to dwell on for such a long time. So yeah, felt every minute of its runtime, but I didn't hate it. Really enjoyed Namor and how they actually showed his people killing lots of innocents, which was ostensibly to show that they're the bad guys (with the Wakandans remaining the typical MCU-style "lots of whirling around but nobody really gets hurt" good guys, except when they actually killed one or two Atlanteans, I suppose). It was just refreshing to see some actual consequences and/or stakes in one of these movies.

Wakanda really got dunked on, though. So much for their much-vaunted technological/military superiority when their city got crippled by a dozen people who swim good. I also enjoyed the Michael B. Jordan cameo and it was the movie's most effective character moment for Wright despite it leading to the expected resolution.

It was interesting that none of the emotional moments were undercut by quips in this movie, and in fact it wasn't very quippy at all outside all of Riri's scenes. It could've used more quips, which is something I never thought I'd say about a MCU movie, because its near-constant obsession with reverence was what really made it drag.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just got back. I want to keep things short, but that was some good poo poo. Letitia Wright did much better than I could have expected. Movie felt poignant yet entertaining. Movie walked a fine line between saying goodbye to the character of T'Challa and the actor Chadwick Bosman. There were multiple moments of silence that the entire threatre respected and I've never been present for in a comic book movie that's ever done that before.

Necrothatcher posted:

Maybe I was just in a screen with a crappy projector but it was really hard to see what was going on in this movie.

There were moments like when Namor confronted Shuri and the Queen and the bridge fight that were a touch too dark. Also, all the scenes in Talokan could have been brighter, but maybe that was intentional due to the water depth of their city and it kept it visually different than DC's Atlantis which cribbed from Wakanda. I feel like these issues wouldn't be present in IMAX since I've noticed these kinds of brightness level probs when it comes to standard theatre projectors showing big budget movies. It's happened with Captain Marvel and Shang Chi.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 14, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Definitely I feel like Namor's city could've been way brighter and vibrant, in 500 years I am 100% certain they've could've All Tomorrow's some deep sea glow in the dark fish to act as modern Vegas style storefront lights.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Man those water grenades were OP as hell.

Also, I'm kind of wondering now if Captain America's lineage of super serum might have been derived from vibranium infused plants, since it seems like it has a similar function. In fact I just realized something-

Namor straight up tells Shuri his peoples origin story. Now the Wakandans, when they do their king duel, have a potion that removes Black Panthers powers (to ensure a fair fight against a non super challenger). So why not, uh, just hose him down with the Anti Black Panther potion? Surely that's gotta be easier than trying to dry him out like jerky.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Presumably because its technically a different but similar plant, its pretty easy to handwave.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Reflecting a bit on this a few hours later, I think this would’ve worked better as a 2 or even 3 movie arc, developing Namor and his people, as well as Shuri’s and RiRi’s journeys.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think that kinda risks some of the same issues the Hobbit movies did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Maybe, but in the end it comes down to the quality behind the people making the content.

There was almost 3 hours worth of content already, without whatever was left in the cutting floor. That’s at least two 90 minute movies that could’ve been more focused and given us a bit more reason to care for all these new characters.