Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

bruckner posted:

What does roger ebert think of the MCU?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iT8t-euxas
That was loving EERIE.
OTOH I am noticing AI likes to rephrase things a couple times in any speech or writing so year the same points two or three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which I'm mega out of the loop on comic stuff is the reason he gives for his name being Namor from the comics or something they wrote for the movie?

In the comics "The Sub-Mariner" is his superhero name, and Namor MacKenzie was his birth name. MCU Namor's name was an invention for the movie.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
God I really hated this. Although I've not read LOADS of the comics with Namor in I'm at least vaguely familiar and I feel like making him a civilization that exists and died RELATIVELY recently made it feel super strange to me. At least with Atlantis I can pretend it's just magic when they're mega advanced. You can do it with Wakanda too, the timeline is general enough that I'm totally fine with "they found magic rocks and they're magic too now" cool fine.
But with this it was specifically saying "A village of Mayans went underwater in the 1500s and are now a super advanced society" and it felt stupid as hell.

It didn't help that the city (as many said before) was really dark so it didn't look impressive at all, it was just a dark blurry mess. Trying to sell this as a war between two superpowers when it's a single city underwater and Wakanda seems to be a single city is really annoying to me. This war is like 100 people per side is it??

I know they might seem minor but it kept taking me out of the story they're telling

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If we went from muskets to nukes in 500 years I think Namor's people had enough time to invent water bombs

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rarity posted:

If we went from muskets to nukes in 500 years I think Namor's people had enough time to invent water bombs

I don't mean those, I mean "we're the most advanced civilization in the world [alongside you]" stuff.
Which they told us loads, but never showed us. Must be a loving arse swimming across the entire atlantic and up a load of rivers to a country that's entirely landlocked near Ethiopia!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Taear posted:

"we're the most advanced civilization in the world"
how could they even have computers underwater

wouldn't the computers get all wet

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I mean according to Namor he “has more warriors than Wakanda has blades of grass.”

Do you think the fish people lay eggs in the hundreds like fish do?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

how could they even have computers underwater

wouldn't the computers get all wet
maybe they have biological computers

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean according to Namor he “has more warriors than Wakanda has blades of grass.”

Well if they're oviparous then yeah sure

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Rarity posted:

Yeah, that part is fine in concept, they have magic metal and also literal magic. If they could do advanced astronomy or build complex infrastructure several centuries ago, then sure they have sci-fi tech by the 2020's.

You don't really see it on-screen, though. They seem to be living in open stone architecture, living and dressing like it was still the 1500's. It doesn't feel like a pre-Columbian society evolved divergently from colonial Latin America, it feels like a time capsule that's barely changed since.

Taear posted:

It didn't help that the city (as many said before) was really dark so it didn't look impressive at all, it was just a dark blurry mess. Trying to sell this as a war between two superpowers when it's a single city underwater and Wakanda seems to be a single city is really annoying to me. This war is like 100 people per side is it??

This part also sucks. Wakanda is at least a little more developed, but it's never quite felt like a real society. I wish I understood how anyone outside of the approximate ruling class lives, any place other than the capital city and/or not part of a specific military order.

Presumably both Wakanda and Talocan have millions of citizens. It's no good that Aquaman is way more successful at suggesting scale and complexity to the social and geopolitical world making up its fake sci-fi/fantasy nation.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xealot posted:

Yeah, that part is fine in concept, they have magic metal and also literal magic. If they could do advanced astronomy or build complex infrastructure several centuries ago, then sure they have sci-fi tech by the 2020's.

You don't really see it on-screen, though. They seem to be living in open stone architecture, living and dressing like it was still the 1500's. It doesn't feel like a pre-Columbian society evolved divergently from colonial Latin America, it feels like a time capsule that's barely changed since.

This part also sucks. Wakanda is at least a little more developed, but it's never quite felt like a real society. I wish I understood how anyone outside of the approximate ruling class lives, any place other than the capital city and/or not part of a specific military order.

Presumably both Wakanda and Talocan have millions of citizens. It's no good that Aquaman is way more successful at suggesting scale and complexity to the social and geopolitical world making up its fake sci-fi/fantasy nation.

The biggest problem with "showing how normal people live in Wakanda" is that our main characters come pretty much exclusively from the noble/royal class. While he was okayish in his role, I kind of wish that they'd dropped the Everett Ross character in favor of someone in Wakanda who wasn't royalty/nobility.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Xealot posted:

Yea it just straight up didn't work for me
The people saying it's their favourite marvel movie are blowing my mind

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Taear posted:

The people saying it's their favourite marvel movie are blowing my mind
who has said this

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

who has said this

Read the thread.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
i'm not gonna re-read 8 pages of spoiler text but the word favo[u]rite does not occur in the context of someone saying it's their "favourite movie"

it just doesn't seem like a common enough sentiment to be confused/concerned about; anything could be someone's favorite movie if they watched it on mushrooms or whatever

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's not my favourite but it's pretty drat good. Certainly the second best of Phase 4 after Strange 2.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Boris Galerkin posted:

maybe being a fishman he has a very poor understanding of what grass is and how much of it is on the surface

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sticking Shuri in as BP when there’s at minimum four stronger actors more suited for the role in the same movie was a huge mistake. Okoye, Nakia, M’Baku and Ramonda all would’ve been better than her.

Movie suffered from no Kaluuya, Whitaker and not enough Jordan. Martin Freeman was a waste of time, as was half the Namor stuff. Muddy story and muddy visuals. Terrible movie with a handful of OK ideas.

If it’s this difficult to make a BP without Boseman, maybe don’t. They must be kicking themselves they ruled out Jordan as BP.

The reveal at the end is plainly insulting.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I have a hard time believing that didn’t offer Lupita Nyong’o a dump truck of money to take over the role and she declined because she didn’t want to get locked into the Marvel machine. She’s a much bigger star than Leticia and doesn’t come with all the baggage either.

I thought the movie was very pretty, and I commend it more or less for dealing with the loss of Bozeman. Excited to see more Namor in the MCU. It just really felt like the story was reworked in editing and it never quite came together. Leticia is a fine actor and all, but it’s a bummer that her character is “angry and grieving” because everyone liked her in the first movie for being fun and light-hearted. Honestly it was hard not to root for Namor, as he was the compelling character in the movie by a mile.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I mean, Namor wanted to kill a child for making a metal detector. It’s pretty easy.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

MokBa posted:

. Honestly it was hard not to root for Namor, as he was the compelling character in the movie by a mile.

The_Doctor posted:

I mean, Namor wanted to kill a child for making a metal detector. It’s pretty easy.

I'd agree with the former if not for the latter. It really hurt the movie for me unfortunately. Especially by the time we're nearing the end of the battle at sea. They take all their best fighters onto a boat to fight the powerful mermaid people, and after all those wakandans presumably drowned or otherwise died (very predictably, what a plan), I was hoping shuri would just kill namor already.

Live by the uncompromising performative murder, die by the uncompromising performative murder.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Shuri Black Panther kills Namor. “I’m not like those other super heroes.” Her mask peels back and reveals it was The Rock.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xealot posted:

I was disappointed in this aspect too and was hoping for some futurist take on Namor's folks.

Aquaman is just a solid flick all around but a big part of that is how fleshed out the world feels. I think it genuinely even worked the royal family intrigue stuff into its story better than either Black Panther flick.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Shuri Black Panther kills Namor. “I’m not like those other super heroes.” Her mask peels back and reveals it was The Rock.

The hierarchy of power in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is about to change.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

AndyElusive posted:

The hierarchy of power in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is about to change.

Dwayne Johnson as Maui from Moana as the Silver Surfer.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MokBa posted:

I have a hard time believing that didn’t offer Lupita Nyong’o a dump truck of money to take over the role and she declined because she didn’t want to get locked into the Marvel machine. She’s a much bigger star than Leticia and doesn’t come with all the baggage either.

very very possible, but cynically i have to expect that they wanted Letitia Wright in the role as she's much younger and cheaper

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Namor is just another example of "whoops our villain is too engaging and sympathetic better have them do a specific irredeemable thing" like Killmonger killing his girlfriend.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I watched this on Disney+ and it was one of the ugliest movies I've ever seen. The robot costumes and that submarine thing at the end were so bad.

I couldn't tell you what happened. Flying fish man was mad about his lithium stocks or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I was upset at the lack of safety rail on top of the Wakandan boat.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

The_Doctor posted:

I was upset at the lack of safety rail on top of the Wakandan boat.

Especially since when the fish folk go over the side their health is restored, but when wakandans go over the side they lose a life. Even with all the extra heroes they unlocked its the definitely the most difficult (and dumbest) stage.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

JBP posted:

I watched this on Disney+ and it was one of the ugliest movies I've ever seen. The robot costumes and that submarine thing at the end were so bad.

I couldn't tell you what happened. Flying fish man was mad about his lithium stocks or something.

Agreed. I tried watching it last night and fell asleep right before the big climax and there was still 45 loving minutes left in the goddamn movie. Dull, lifeless, muddy visuals, incoherent storytelling, and everything everyone else has said. I really enjoyed the original BP, but this felt like it had way too many "gotta check the MCU box" tally marks. What a shame. Maybe it's just MCU fatigue for me.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MokBa posted:

Namor is just another example of "whoops our villain is too engaging and sympathetic better have them do a specific irredeemable thing" like Killmonger killing his girlfriend.

Namor never did anything irredeemable.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MariusLecter posted:

That is true. He failed in his attempts to murder the cute genius black girl (who was not played by an anti-vaxxer).

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

well why not posted:

very very possible, but cynically i have to expect that they wanted Letitia Wright in the role as she's much younger and cheaper

Not cynical, this is exactly it. Marvel loves to save money on above-the-line personnel as much as possible - it’s the reason they hired Joss Whedon for The Avengers - and people tend to forget that Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr, and Chris Hemsworth weren’t exactly huge names when the MCU got started. (RDJ was but he had a reputation for being practically unhireable in 2008.) Shuri also gets bonus points for having a comic precedent of being BP, and Marvel likely managed to get an even better grip on her star power when she almost snuffed out her own career with her social media presence.

A lot of Phase 4 and its movement to replace the OG Avengers with also-rans is an attempt to avoid situations like Scarlett Johansson’s lawsuit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They're just going to end up with the same problem in ten years when the also-rans are also super famous A-listers because of working Marvel movies for a decade

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Rarity posted:

They're just going to end up with the same problem in ten years when the also-rans are also super famous A-listers because of working Marvel movies for a decade

Well yeah, but that’s when they either give us the Fantomex movie starring some yahoo who hasn’t even been born yet or they go for the big reboot.

This is also assuming the MCU will still be around in ten years given we’re finally seeing signs of it slowing down - X-Men and Fantastic Four might give it a shot in the arm, who knows.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

i'm rdy to see DC win for the next 10 years while Marvel loses

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

MariusLecter posted:

His battle plan for wakanda was “attack the EMTs and rescue workers first”, that’s bad imo

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GateOfD posted:

i'm rdy to see DC win for the next 10 years while Marvel loses

DC is clearly not ready for that.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Rarity posted:

Iger's already started planning for this with his "Do we have to make sequels?" comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

MariusLecter posted:

Didn't he straight up murder Lake Bell in that helicopter?