Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Based on my sample size of two, rich people buy wineries to provide easy employment for their grown children that can’t hold down office jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I’m guessing that the Tesla brand is irreparably damaged and that sales will decline until Musk steps down or sells the company.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Microsoft has invested heavily in OpenAI. Between OpenAI and Blizzard they seem to be deploying their cash in seemingly smart ways in comparison to the other tech giants.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

drk posted:

Intel cut his stock options a couple months ago already, now has to hit

$74.47/share to receive "performance" based stock options
$148.95/share to receive "outperformance" based stock options

(current price today is $29)

SEC filing for nerds: https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/0000050863/000119312522290385/d310344d8k.htm

I'm sure his total comp is still pretty high though

How long does it have to stay above the target for the CEO to receive the bonus?

It seems like the CEO is incentivized to juice the stock by whatever means necessary to achieve short term results with no long term planning.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I think AI will allow people to get amazing search results from within apps/sites that they already spend time on. Why go to google when you can search natively through windows/IOS/tiktok/IG etc. Not to mention google search results have been pretty terrible for the last few years. Google was an amazing service when the internet was mostly filled with information for information's sake but every website is so monetized these days that Google mostly returns websites shilling products/services/affiliate links. It is still a great way to search within reddit and wikipedia through.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

ARTPUP posted:

Not sure about the Microsoft/Google race. I'm sure somebody got fired for the Google demo but I wouldn't count them out yet. They shouldn't have rushed to put out their own version. I'm putting this with the self driving car - neat if it works but disaster if it fails. The one plus for Microsoft is to use the AI for their office line of products. Have the AI review your spreadsheet and suggest ways of increasing your margins, etc. Clippy comes back and he's smarter than ever! That said, the markets are just nuts right now, we'll see what happens this summer.

I'm sure Google engineers have already come up with brilliant AI technologies but my guess is that all Google decisions on this will are marred by their leadership being terrified of doing something that lessens their ability to monetize search. So what the google's leadership allows to go live will be warped by revenue considerations and will be way different than what their engineers have developed.

For that reason I see Microsoft pulling ahead simply because they're willing to take more risks with incorporating AI into their search engine.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I sent my kid to the FDIC daycare for a while. They have one of the nicest Federal buildings I’ve been in. Even has a swimming pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

ranbo das posted:

Hertz had a ton of used cars and went bankrupt right as the pandemic started, which caused the price of used cars to double/triple.

Usually your main asset doesn't triple in price in less than a year.

I don't think used car prices went crazy until a year or so into the pandemic when new car supply chain issues from became apparent.