Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Anthony Richardson has entered the draft

Good luck with that

Oh I didn't notice we had a draft thread up.

Like I said in the CFB thread if everything goes absolutely right and he really did just need good coaching and it works out he's gonna really work out but...

Yeah that is definitely not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Forrest on Fire posted:

Eagles shouldn't either even if he's a Saquon level talent at RB.

I don't know man, Bijan is pretty goddamned good and Texas for some reason underused him so it's not like he's got a lot of college wear on him.

#5 is real high for sure. But I'd imagine someone is taking that guy earlyish unless he tests or interviews super poorly at the combine.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am very interested in your thoughts on Bo, having watched him all year.

I won't give you any good analysis like TGG would, but Bo Nix turning out to be actually good would be a Josh Allen level of revelation to me having at least sort of watched him for his whole career.

The guy can do a lot of legit things. ...he just doesn't do them as often as he should and he does a lot of disastrous things on the way. This year was pretty good on the Bo Nix ride, so maybe he figured something out, I don't know.

e: oops re-reading this it sounded like I was comparing him to Allen, I wasn't. Just that it would be as mystifying to me as that happening if he ended up awesome.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 17, 2022

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

what was a snake fact that you found noteworthy?

I discovered in North American snake lore I am probably safe from dying by a bite from a Cottonmouth or Copperhead even if I don't seek medical care. Miserable for a long while but living through it.

Rattlesnake bites will gently caress you all the way up if you don't deal with them though.

This relates to the future draft when Spencer Rattler comes out of course.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They were up 29-0 before Wilson threw his first TD pass. 16 of those points were scored by defense and special teams. I don’t think Wilson broke 100 yards passing til nearly the end of the 3rd quarter. He was fine but I think I could have played QB in that game and still won.

Matt Ryan: 'Hold my beer for a minute'

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Also depending on who the Bears trade to you might get really lucky and go #1 to an actual good team.

We all figure this is going to happen but when was the last time a team traded out of the #1 pick? Goff unless I'm missing something? And that took a lot of doing.

Someone might have to fall in love with whichever QB and offer a lot for the Bears to move.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Stetson Bennett is gonna be really good at whatever he does in the NFL.

He's set up to have an Eagles Nick Foles career where he comes out of nowhere to be stunningly amazing in the playoffs after being very underwhelming in the regular season I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cavauro posted:

i really hosed up my question. what i had meant to ask was "which top 5 drafted qb had the worst college stats" but i didn't clarify and it looks like nfl stats. i ruined an entire evening for myself

For counting stats only I think...

This is the answer, but there's a big old asterisk next to the 2020 season.

For top 5 overall QBs I think #2 would be Mark Sanchez in the last 20 years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kirios posted:

With the Saints landing the 29/30 pick (I'm seeing conflicting stuff on this, so whatever), I feel like getting Hendon Hooker there is a solid shout. He should be ready for the start of the 2023 season, the Saints desperately need a QB, and he should slot in day one. He looked like a top 5-10 pick prior to his injury.

Right or wrong, he played the offense that's most of why Drew Lock got drafted (he sure looked better under Heupel than he did his senior season). So that'll be a knock on him from some.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

So do all the seniors at the senior bowl suck or what?

I mean they're seniors so they didn't come out early so there's that. Also they're bothering to show up at the senior bowl.

Just like every year I don't think all of them suck and some could and probably will be really good, they're just not generational prospects.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sounds like Richardson needs to sit a season and learn from Geno Smith

Geno in a meeting: 'Alright I'm not going to go into detail here, but if you say you're going to help a slightly crazy teammate out with an event in the offseason make absolutely sure you do that poo poo.'

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

e: I remember a time when Logan Thomas was projected as QB1

I still believe Logan Thomas was failed by Virginia Tech to the point where he couldn't be saved. Toolsiest guy in the world, just, no ability to play the position. It seems like someone should have helped him figure that out along the way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Bryce Young putting some time in on the rack before the combine.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

Thats kinda his dome getting smashed in. I guess a smaller dude is more likely to get poo poo whipped? Potentially?

Different types of players and he doesn't need to run to make his game work (plus he's just way better), but this made me think he's smaller than Pat White who just got erased out of the league in one hit.

There's no reason to believe he'd be the same, just, that's where my mind goes with smallish guys. That's the worry. On the other hand that guy seems to do everything in the world right other than being bigger than he is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

In what world does Tua need to run in order to be successful? That's a first.

I'm missing where Tua came into this conversation and I don't think we're talking about running QBs really other than me bringing one disastrous one up. And I was intending to just note worries about small frames rather than crap on their chances of succeeding.

All Tua has to do is survive and groove passes. The surviving part has been a problem this last year. /shrug

It's not like Tua's smol small either, he's just not 6'4". Bryce Young is a whole different deal of being a little guy.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 16, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ShakeZula posted:

I'm skeptical that there's going to be that much activity past the point where Young and Stroud are off the board. Like, are the Panthers going to pay what it takes to move up to 3 just to snipe Will Levis?

Like in all draft things I suspect we'll know more after the combine and interviews. Someone might really fall in love with Levis and he at least looks the part, maybe Bryce annoys teams in interviews or shows up at 5'5" and 150 lbs (hyberbole here, it won't be that bad).

We're all just kinda speculating at this point, the combine for better or worse is when things start getting real.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1627936320030138369

I don't play in the league where anyone would ever give a poo poo about my opinions, but remembering that I kinda liked Zach Wilson as a prospect. That BYU offense was so fun, he really looked like he could make all the throws at least well enough and wasn't obviously an idiot.

...and we end up with this.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

indigi posted:

is Payton a guy who can develop QBs? who has he improved? genuine question, idk his history prior to NO. Romo?

He was big on Romo before anyone else as I recall, but didn't stick around for when he was playing. He did get more out of Brees than his previous coaches did, but his previous coach was Marty Schottenheimer when he was any good and he did alright before getting hurt there.

There's no reason not to believe he can develop a QB I guess? Jokes about absolutely loving him for no reason aside he got Taysom Hill up to...something or other when he actually had to play QB and it was something a little better than I expected. Got the most anyone could have hoped for out of Kerry Collins I guess?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

indigi posted:

is Payton a guy who can develop QBs? who has he improved? genuine question, idk his history prior to NO. Romo?

:lol: you've sent me down a sports reference hole here.

90s: In college he was OC for Miami (OH) and while they did okish the defense ran those teams from what I can tell. He got hired at Illinois as a QB coach for a 2-9 team that was 95th out of 111 in points per game. Then for some reason Ray Rhodes decided to hire him as a QB coach for the Eagles.

He was responsible for both Ty and Koy Detmer with the Eagles, which is...not something you'd like to put on your coaching resume for the most part. And Bobby Hoying doing whatever Bobby Hoying did, which wasn't a lot. He overlooked Rodney Peete if he had any say in the matter who was a little better than all of those guys even if he was bad too. Then he went to the Giants for a few years, the Cowboys as assistant head coach/QB coach (who were surprisingly to me not awful while he was there--although their QBs certainly were), and finally the Saints.

I am convinced taking Kerry Collins to a Super Bowl is the only reason we know this man's name. Lucking into a suddenly not injured anymore Drew Brees and running that poo poo into the ground was the icing on the cake.

e: Random thing I noticed, he bounced to a different job right before both McNabb and Romo showed up, at least on the field for Romo.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 23, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I'm not saying he's bad really, I think he just eventually, somewhere, runs out of chances if that Giants stint didn't happen.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Teams are still willing to draft RB's in the later half of the first round, but I dunno what kind of prospect would have to show up for one to go top 10 now.

Bijan's the type of guy who could if you have someone willing to even consider a top 10 RB, there's nothing he does wrong. If anything he was underutilized at Texas and has relatively new tires on him so maybe he lasts a while.

I don't know who would view a RB as 'the piece' early though. If the Bears trade down to 9 or so they could make a little bit of a Ravens type monster I guess? Well crap, it's gonna be the Seahawks if it happens isn't it? Even if that's the absolutely wrong move for them to make.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
4 days till measurements start! :woop:

We all joke about Bryce Young but I'm interested in seeing exactly how big some of the DL and OL guys are, we've got some abnormally large men this year I think.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Forrest on Fire posted:

What's considered an acceptable height for a modern QB? 6'1"?

Just for my preferences if I were a scout I'd say 6'2" before I don't worry about it much at all and any taller than that is gravy. 6'0" if their other attributes are good enough--which they're going to be if you're considered a first round guy. Shorter than that can definitely work but that's when I start worrying a little bit about it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dexo posted:

yeah Hurts is legitimately a tank.

It's why that Sneak is like 100% effective.

There was one particular one like this out of the seemingly thousands in the super bowl that stood out to me.

When you can absorb the Chris Jones's of the world jumping over the line, hitting you in the face and wrapping up, and just carry them along for 3 yards when you needed an inch. Yeah. Not everyone does that. Now Jones didn't have his feet on the ground so he didn't have leverage, but the initial hit erases almost everyone else in the league.

e: for draft stuff yeah I think Bryce Young is there for the interviews and simply can't avoid the measurements. And that seems fine, for years wasn't the gameplan for QBs to show up and talk to people and maybe run a 40? Then avoid showing anything else because your college is going to handle your pro day so you look awesome.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 27, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm not super down on Levis.

I'm pretty down on him being a top 5 pick, but he seems okish to me as a late first if someone grabbed him there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

Annual yes you can absolutely draft a RB in the first, no a late round RB doesn't bring the same threat to the table as an earlier one, yes yards are gained differently, yes all positions have a short shelf life conversation

Annual emotional falling in love with a running back post: Bijan is amazing and would be awesome in the Bills offense. I can see where that would be really frightening.

Annual hedging emotional falling in love post, I don't want the Chiefs to take him because they found a guy in the 7th round. Who gets up and runs further every time he makes a play after the whistle is blown because he's so excited, which is hilarious. So I don't think KC needs better than that (as long as he's making plays and gets to run wild like an excited puppy after doing so).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Who was that lineman who was suspected of murder a few years back? He got cleared but I think he ended up not being drafted

Josh Brent maybe if we're talking cars and doing dumb things with them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Brent

e: oh that was way after the draft, didn't finish reading the post. Yeah you're thinking of someone else.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
FWIW on the Carter situation:

https://twitter.com/FourVerts/status/1631072904069758979

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
For what it's worth on Bryce, I don't know if this is an endorsement exactly or not:

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1632023990238576642

They're different dudes, they don't play the game the same way, but kinda interesting that they can swap clothes if they want and everything fits perfectly.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Hyatt could be good but I'm out at 31 with the DE/DL talent going bezerk

Just depends on what falls in my opinion. If they think he's the best guy there when they're picking I'm ok with it.

I mainly don't want to trade up, which is a very Veach thing to do. The Chiefs need bodies in a lot of different places.

e: haha I hadn't even considered the possibility of trading down

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Richardson is not doing anything to make chatter about him go away, as expected.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1632113945744949248

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If he should fall to them whoever signs Carr to a rich 2 year contract with a bunch of fake years should draft Richardson imo.

Just in a perfect world, if Carr works out great, keep on paying him. If he doesn't you've had a couple of years to teach Richardson how to play football.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Docjowles posted:

Especially if they can fix the raging dumpster fire around him at like every other position other than maybe RB and TE.

"Needs more weapons" is a meme for bad QBs for a reason, but for Fields it really does seem true for him to even have a chance the way they were using him as a straight up drop back passer until recently. That roster is like someone went to war with it and then salted the earth after they won.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I can't hate all that much on Dov, I'd like to be paid to write really dumb things that just fall off the top of my head instead of doing it here for free.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dexo posted:

I mean if he reaches his ceiling, it's like best QB ever type stuff.

His ceiling is astronomical.

Uh, he likely won't tho.

Spencer Hall did Richardson, and I guarantee he's watched more of him than most of us have. Even if we don't really go to him for straight football analysis as often as the *waves at everything he does* he knows what he's talking about generally. Won't quote the whole article but the sum up:

quote:

PROS IN ANTHONY RICHARDSON’S FAVOR AS A POTENTIAL QUARTERBACK, BASED STRICTLY OFF HIS PERFORMANCE IN TWELVE GAMES AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL

• Will actually stay in the pocket and look to throw after resetting. He’s not a one read and run college QB, even though there were multiple points this season where maybe that would have been a better call than what he actually did.
  • Read some meat and potatoes poo poo really well. Whether it’s levels-type concepts or basic man beaters off pressure, Richardson eventually made those right calls in 2022. Pretty nice off rollout play-action, too, where he will take easy money by hitting tight ends and running backs trailing him in the flat.
  • Will read checkdowns without pressure. I’m utterly convinced that the key to long-term survival in football involves taking stupid-easy completions whenever possible. Brad Johnson got called “Captain Checkdown” but fourteen years in the league and a ring will get you a comfortable retirement making trick shot videos on TikTok. Richardson will take checkdowns and seems to have no ego about doing so, and Brad Johnson is a god at Pop-A-Shot. Both represent the same goal here.
  • Accuracy and touch on the deep ball are both nice. Richardson’s coin flip is this: While he might throw the ball at fifty miles an hour on checkdowns, that horsepower translates beautifully on deep balls. No one caught them for him this year at Florida, but that wasn’t his fault.

CONS AGAINST ANTHONY RICHARDSON’S FAVOR AS A POTENTIAL QUARTERBACK, BASED STRICTLY OFF HIS PERFORMANCE IN TWELVE GAMES AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL

• Can go late on intermediate throws across the middle. He threw a couple of nasty picks like this, including a crucial one in the Florida State game turning an open slant into a turnover.
  • Misses a good chunk of swing/screens and layups. His placement on the little stuff is mostly a matter of footwork, but we can’t assume instant improvement or a miracle happening overnight. He hammers short passes when he doesn’t have to, and sometimes just misses them on location completely. There’s a thing on bubble screens where placement matters in terms of putting the runner in the right lane to hit open grass, and Richardson missed that kind of touch and technique with some frequency.
  • Still rushes reads under pressure. He improved a lot after Kentucky came after his rear end and it worked. FSU followed suit to less effect at the end of the season, so there was a lot of improvement here. But a good chunk of his misses in the passing game came off hurried throws where Richardson might have made the right read, but either rushed the throw high or frantically put the ball in the dirt. As wild as it may sound for someone this talented, the game hasn’t slowed down for him yet as a college player, and he’s about to attempt to compete in the NFL.

You want a serious concern? That last point is my biggest one right there: He’s going up a full tier with Josh Allen’s potential, but with less than half of Josh Allen’s experience. (Josh Allen started 25 games in college. Richardson, just twelve.) He’s going to be asked to be Daunte Culpepper eventually, but without starting the thirty-three games Culpepper started in college.

He also mentions earlier Florida's receiving corps was already bad and then mostly injured as the year went on, which didn't help much. Florida didn't really let him run like they could have, and he probably didn't really want to so he could prove he could pass. Basically the end result is you're betting on your own franchise to be able to develop him if you draft him, which I guess is not surprising and what we're all thinking anyway.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Outside the driving issue is it a bigger problem that Carter has kind of looked like poo poo in his workouts and seemingly gained a bunch of weight?

Aside from what we're talking about I've considered that this episode might have really messed him up for at least the moment. Like, he might be going through some emotional stuff right now and isn't in the right place to be looking good as a prospect.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Warming up to Bijan to the Chargers at 21

He's stupid good but he happens to be a RB so...yeah. The only knock on him is his position.

If he's still there at 21 that's well worth it imo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

I think TE is good but for some reason it's hard to predict which TE is going to boom or bust and you might as well wait.

There aren't any good WRs out there in FA, and Andy loves himself some three TE sets.

There are other/bigger/much bigger/super bigger needs of course but I wouldn't hate it if the Chiefs took a shot at one of the well thought of TEs should they drop. Rather have it happen on day two obviously.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think Levis is perhaps becoming a little too hated as a prospect. This doesn't mean I think he'll work out, but I think he has a chance.

Definitely wouldn't want him super early, but if the Jets strike out on Rodgers and trade down, or maybe Washington trades down a bit, I don't hate him as a late first round pick. I suppose Tampa would be in about the right place for the earliest I'd pick him if they're not convinced Baker is actually their guy.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's kind of nice for the #1 overall pick to not be hidden behind a bunch of bullshit smokescreening.

I'll agree once they just walk up and make the pick when the draft starts instead of using the whole clock to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Woozie66 posted:

God, could you imagine having an avatar as outdated as that

I think I might be the only one left rocking a retro avatar when we did that for like a month a whole hell of a long time ago.

If someone comes back with a Dolphins Ariel Avatar I will nod respectfully.

e: crap I didn't realize this was the draft thread. I thought it was N/V where we talk about posting as much as anything, sorry.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 22, 2023