Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that top 5 qb prospects list is loving abominable lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Stroud seems like an excellent prospect

ohio state

Young seems worth a try

smaller kyler murray

Levis is not an exceptional prospect but seems good enough to warrant a 1st round pick

i said in the NFC South thread that Levis feels like a guy who has a pretty disappointing college stint but ends up somehow having a successful NFL career but he could just as easily be Josh Rosen 2

Richardson is bad but he’s big and fast.

Anthony Richardson is a big and fast quarterback who can't throw the ball at all, but he also never actually tucks the ball and runs with it, so he's a dual threat that isn't actually a threat on either axis

and Hendon Hooker who you didn't mention is decent but he's also 45 years old

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

epic bacon posted:

man i thought this QB draft class was supposed to be one of the best ever, what happened

people say this every year about next year's QB class to make themselves feel like their team has a chance

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

^^^^ yep, that makes sense. for the bucs tho, assuming they look at QBs, id rather roll the dice on Levis over stroud but i don't think either will be available by the time they pick anyway

next year has Caleb Williams who might at least be a clear cut #1 overall guy bc he's in the same realm of quality as bryce young while being over 6ft and weighing ~215lbs

Caleb is legit but who else is there, do you think Spencer Rattler will somehow play himself back into the 1st round

I kinda hope so, it would be funny

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Obviously the first QB off the board should be Tim DeMorat from Fordham

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i want some GM to fall deeply in love with Holton Ahlers or some other guy on zero radars

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao at the panthers taking Anthony Richardson in the 1st round

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Anthony Richardson cant throw a football with any semblence of touch, technique or accuracy, but don't worry because he also refuses to run with the ball!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Id shoot myself in the loving face if we took Richardson.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheGreyGhost posted:

He was never actually that good! Sonny is god tier at covering for mediocre quarterbacking. I might rage post about it if someone fucks up and rates him over like Jaren Hall

there's a reason Sonny didn't have him as the starting QB before the season started lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gonz posted:

Dude’s career NCAA pass completion percentage is 54.7%. In a grand total of 13 games started. And I keep hearing “He’s not gonna make it out of the top 15!”.

Like, what?

do you keep hearing it from anyone except ornery and hornery who's made it his gimmick to constantly talk about him

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i believe drew brees is 6' as much as i believe adam cole is 6'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Td2CTuiVY

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I don't know how i would feel about the Panthers trading up to draft Will Levis, to be honest

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ozymandius1024 posted:

I am going to go with "bad", because teams are definitely going to get people fired looking for the next Josh Allen with measurables guys.

that isn't what Will Levis is though! Will Levis is the "pro-style" mechanics guy of this draft

the only comp he has with Josh Allen is his height and skin tone

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

who is going to draft this Rey Mysterio Jr. sized man to play QB

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CJ Stroud has one massive red and silver flag

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

a neat cape posted:

We still doing this huh

until the day i die or the day ohio state produces a single quarterback worth a drat in the nfl, whichever comes first

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Fields is pretty good

justin fields has been good for one quarter of his 2 years in the NFL so far

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fennesz posted:

I'm kind of shocked at the amount of people in this thread that think Richardson completely sucks and couldn't imagine ever drafting him round 1.

you're shocked that there are people in the draft thread who have seen him play quarterback?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Has to be the worst group in the NFL and they don't even have a decent TE but it's a deep draft there so maybe draft one.

even without DJ Moore there's no way they're worse than the Giants

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Docjowles posted:

I dunno man the Giants at least have Saquon and maybe Wan’dale Robinson is good? The panthers have uhhhhh *Butthead laughing noises*

if Wan'Dale Robinson is the bar then I would say at the very least Laviska Shenault clears it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

indigi posted:

what happened with Levi's in the past ten days? he was recently being talked about - even in this thread - as a guy teams might trade up to take over Young or Stroud, now he seems to be cemented as the fourth option. I’m assuming it's not (just) the mayo coffee

You talkin about Willie Jeans???

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Not being able to talk to him for another few days makes a big difference. For someone like Carolina if you've got the deal in place for the first overall, I can see why you'd commit rather than potentially waiting and hoping to discuss / trade for lamar and having the potential of missing out on everything. A lot of teams are probably in the same boat.

Levis needs to develop as much as some of the other guys in the class. Teams were just a little higher on him because he's big, played through injury and comes from a pro style scheme. Richardson needs a similar development pathway but has better physical attributes. At least that's my read. McCown eluded to it before he was hired by the Panthers but his take was that if you're out on Richardson because of the questions marks around him you're likely out on Levis. Richardson has apparently interviewed better than people expected him to and showed a better understanding of offensive scheme and playing QB than was first thought too.

So while Richardson has improved his stock, Levis hasn't gotten any headlines for doing same. Again - league insiders might view it differently but that's been my read from the coverage at least - if you're going to take a swing on the upside guy you might as well really take a swing.

richardson and levis need literally the opposite kinds of development, levis' biggest strength is his footwork and mechanics, richardson's massive red flag is his complete lack of either

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Stefon Diggs was another "Just A Slot Guy"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

With the Number 1 Pick of the 2023 NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers select... Anthony Anderson, Quarterback, University of Florida

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Michael Penix Jr.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe florida's receivers are actually good but nobody could tell because anthony richardson can't throw a football

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

well on the one hand, we have 1 game where CJ Stroud went super saiyan and almost singlehandedly beat the best team in the country, on the other hand we have anthony richardson who we have 0 games of him looking like a competent quarterback and in fact if we want to see what he might someday possibly one day turn into we have to extrapolate from 6 plays that were months apart from one another

clearly anthony richardson is the #1 qb

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ki-Jana Carter was literally the death knell of the concept of a runningback going 1st overall, since him the highest an RB has gone is 2nd and the only two who went that high were Ronnie Brown and Reggie Bush which is lmao

a neat cape posted:

Remember that year 3 RBs went in the top 5

that was the Ronnie Brown year and the other two RBs drafted in the top 5 after him were Cedric Benson and Cadillac Williams

the other two players drafted in the top 5 that year were Alex Smith and Braylon Edwards.

2005 was a hell of a year

Alaois fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 13, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think its a very funny indictment of the entire draft scouting process and how influenced it is by recency bias that a guy who's projected to go in the 6th round at best and more likely to go undrafted has the prospect comp to Josh Rosen

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is josh allen buff? he always looks lanky to me

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

https://wonderlictestpractice.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/

There’s a punter that scored a 50. Fitzpatrick had the highest score for a QB.

Pat McInally played both WR and punter so its funny that they list him exclusively as a punter

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sexy tiger boobs posted:

He's looked serviceable with potential and is playing in a run heavy offense. QBs in this draft ain't all that. Test him out for a full season while filling more roster holes.

it's extremely funny how people are like "why the gently caress are the Falcons sticking with that WORTHLESS LOSER Desmond Ridder" and then you look at his stats and he was completely okay

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

As a fan of a team who has lost countless seasons to misguided faith in quarterbacks of unproven ability, if there is a highly rated QB available you take them and have them compete.

Otherwise you can’t draft a project in Mahomes until you know what you have in Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. Better take the “culture changing” safety in Jamal Adams instead.

the jets drafted christian hackenberg

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Ridder didn't throw a TD pass until the second half of week 18 against the Bucs backups who were playing because the Bucs had nothing to play for.

i cant believe he wasn't lighting up the scoreboard in a run-first offense throwing to Drake London and Olamide Zaccheaus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm very disappointed that the grey ghost misrepresented CJ Stroud in his writeup

his full name is Coleridge Bernard Stroud IV