Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm vaguely reminded of Linux Biolinum, designed to be a sans-serif counterpart shown alongside Linux Libertine (an open source Times New Roman replacement font). Libertine and Biolinum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

MikeJF posted:

I'm vaguely reminded of Linux Biolinum, designed to be a sans-serif counterpart shown alongside Linux Libertine (an open source Times New Roman replacement font). Libertine and Biolinum:

I've seen the Quick Brown Fox many times, that's the first time I've seen the Sphinx one. It's way cooler and should become the standard from here on out.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

MikeJF posted:

They do look nice together, but not distinct enough for my purpose I think. I'd be hard pressed to notice when they switched. It's this kind of notion.

Currently checking out more serif/sans options as suggested.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

I've seen the Quick Brown Fox many times, that's the first time I've seen the Sphinx one. It's way cooler and should become the standard from here on out.

Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pangrams!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Wikipedia offers these:

quote:

"Waltz, bad nymph, for quick jigs vex." (28 letters)
"Glib jocks quiz nymph to vex dwarf." (28 letters)
"Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow." (29 letters)
"How quickly daft jumping zebras vex!" (30 letters)
"The five boxing wizards jump quickly." (31 letters)
"Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz." (31 letters)
"Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs." (32 letters)

in addition to the classic "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" which has 35 letters.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

MokBa posted:

If you just want a very classic serif, use Garamond instead. One of my general rules-of-thumb is to never ever use any of the 90s default Windows fonts. They were all designed for legibility on a low-res screen which is no longer an issue, and they carry a lot of baggage that makes them look cheap.

Personally, I think if you want to separate the two voices, your best bet, as suggested above, is to pick a serif and sans serif that look good together. Unfortunately, that will make it look less like the Little Red Book, but it’s essentially the only way to do it where neither looks more important than the other.

As you are doubtless aware Times has a storied history which well predates its inclusion in win 95; but I do feel that you are correct about the baggage. Go out in public without seeing Impact; Challenge level: Impossible.

As far as classic serif fonts go that aren't Times, I also agree here, it's hard to go wrong with Garamond. There's even an open source version which has some wonderful features. I've also become quite taken with Ashbury lately for similar purposes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think it can be entirely possible to use two different serif fonts and still get it to look good. Here's something I tried setting up with Century Schoolbook and Brussels.

These might not be a perfect pairing, for that I would try to find some fonts with more similar stem thickness, but using two fonts with differing x-height and wideness is probably a good approach.

(Edit: Brussels is apparently a font I got by installing the Brother P-touch Editor for my label printer.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nielsm has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Apr 24, 2024

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I feel like you still have to be at least moderately font-brained in order to notice that there's a difference between the interleaved texts there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, honestly, I'd just go with weight:300 and weight: 500.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Yeah the issue I'm having in my experiments is that the ones that look best to me have some unison of style - going straight SERIF VS SANS is not feeling good, maybe just due to sans fonts not really being designed for main body text in general? I dunno, I'm not an expert, but the contrast is too heavy for me.

As an example of what I felt better about, I tried Times alternating with Palatino and kind of felt that didn't feel hosed up. Palatino has way bigger apertures (? am I using the jargon right?) so feels different, but doesn't completely jump out as hosed. I don't think I can go with the combo though as they're probably too close overall.

If nothing ends up working quite right, I think italics vs. regular is the dumb-guy solution. Maybe in EB Garamond instead of Times, though I'm curious to know other Timesy serifs that work well in print.

Is the baggage of Times too great to print something real that people will hold in their hands? I just think of the Red Book itself and (in my eyes) the font does nothing, positive or negative, for me when I crack it open.

Sorry I know this is going on and well beyond posting my favorite font (obviously it's zapf dingbats), but I'm learning here from real, charged-and-convicted font creeps and I appreciate it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

aniviron posted:

As you are doubtless aware Times has a storied history which well predates its inclusion in win 95; but I do feel that you are correct about the baggage. Go out in public without seeing Impact; Challenge level: Impossible.

As far as classic serif fonts go that aren't Times, I also agree here, it's hard to go wrong with Garamond. There's even an open source version which has some wonderful features. I've also become quite taken with Ashbury lately for similar purposes.

Look at how many on the Wikipedia page are based on Jannon's pinchy nipples-on-blobs. That's a shame. Garamond is a standard. I used to love Adobe Garamond, but look at how chaotic and astigmatismy it is next to another version:

Most versions of Garamond look off to me now. They have the rulekeeper's self-importance, like a hall monitor. Georgia and Century gothic have this square narc quality too. That's what makes them good for those preschool books.

The minuscules here have an ascending grandness though:

The uppercase have the architectural purism of Trajan.

illegal move

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Mescal posted:

illegal move

This is what I'm talking about. This guy dreams fonts. Tell me what to do for my silly project!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll look into serif and sans suggestions, Museo etc. for sure. I am finding italics does suggest one writer is the exception.

To give you guys more information, because it's funny how serious about readability and how helpful you've all been when it's such a ridiculous, stupid project:

- It's for custom publishing into book form I will distribute to a handful of family members
- I've used Times New Roman thus far because it's closest my untrained eye could find to the typeface of the English edition of Quotations From Chairman Mao
- This is because I intend it to closely resemble the little red book in every way (I'm trying to track down Lin Piao to do some calligraphy for the frontispiece but he's been a hard man to find since his mysterious disappearance when he conspired to overthrow Mao)
- the content is a giant, giant list of thousands of dumbass gibberish phrases, inside jokes, fake band names etc my cousin and I have been sending each other tranches of for 25 years, since we were early teens. He wants our contributions to be distinguishable in some way, and I want it to be as smooth-reading as possible. They are mostly not full sentences, but they aren't all really short phrases. Some will be long enough to wrap and indent into a second line and such.

If TNR sucks, I'm open to suggestions of fonts better than it but that can still fit the feel/era of the little red book as you see in the scan. I'd like to balance accuracy to the red book (which is 90% down to the size and the execution of the cover by the bookbinder, really) and readability with the two types of writing alternating.

Now don't you feel like saps for helping with such a stupid idea? Sorry.

that's Monotype Garamond, look again at the asymmetric T, fancy W, and slight protrusion of "s" above the x-height.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

PYF Fonts: Jannon's pinchy nipples-on-blobs

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I know this is getting further away from the Little Red Book vibe, but you could consider Mrs Eaves (serif) and Mr Eaves (sans serif). The letters have similar heights and widths and are meant to pair well together, and they are both very legible body fonts.

They also both have an “XL” version with a larger x-height, since the default one is pretty low.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Honestly you might be better off just having one "voice" indented more than the other. Maybe with a small image/avatar/whatever-to-call-it in the left margin to help distinguish them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like this list of records that use the best font, Shatter

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Shatter-Font/316039

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Powered Descent posted:

Honestly you might be better off just having one "voice" indented more than the other. Maybe with a small image/avatar/whatever-to-call-it in the left margin to help distinguish them.

or left/right aligned with a bit narrower margin on the opposite side so they never reach the full width

something like this (ugly)

code:
\documentclass[a4paper]{article}

\usepackage{lipsum}

\newcommand\lefty[1]{%
	\parbox[l]{.9\textwidth}{\raggedright #1}\\\\%
}

\newcommand\righty[1]{%
	\hspace{.1\textwidth}%
	\parbox[r]{.9\textwidth}{\raggedleft #1}\\\\%
}

\begin{document}

\lefty{\lipsum[1]}

\righty{\lipsum[2]}

\lefty{\lipsum[3]}

\righty{\lipsum[4]}

\end{document}

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

or left/right aligned with a bit narrower margin on the opposite side so they never reach the full width

An excellent idea. If even more separation is necessary, one voice might even be on a light gray background instead of white, but that's probably overkill.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Powered Descent posted:

Thought about that, but the 15cm by 10cm format means indenting and margins can get pretty tricky. Some list entries already wrap to an indented second (and on) line so it starts to look messy. But maybe doable with a tiny indent...

As for L/R alignment, it looks way better in the example posted than in a list where the majority of entries are a single line. So we're not generally talking about alternating paragraphs. A one-line phrase aligned right just doesn't feel right as a list entry, it seems like a list needs aligned starting points.

Will experiment with Garamond Monotype, thanks for the correction.

We're getting close I think! Thanks again to the font deviants who have posted.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

MokBa posted:

I know this is getting further away from the Little Red Book vibe, but you could consider Mrs Eaves (serif) and Mr Eaves (sans serif). The letters have similar heights and widths and are meant to pair well together, and they are both very legible body fonts.

They also both have an “XL” version with a larger x-height, since the default one is pretty low.

These do look good together. Another combo to try.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah my next suggestion was actually the left/right alignment so I'm glad others thought of it! That only works though if the paragraphs are like 2-5 lines long. One line and you might not see it. More than five and you're dealing with readability issues.

AquariusDue
Feb 11, 2022
I'm kinda fond of Berkeley Mono, but I still prefer Intel One most days.

https://berkeleygraphics.com/typefaces/berkeley-mono/

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Those curly brackets gently caress

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Thought about that, but the 15cm by 10cm format means indenting and margins can get pretty tricky. Some list entries already wrap to an indented second (and on) line so it starts to look messy. But maybe doable with a tiny indent...

As for L/R alignment, it looks way better in the example posted than in a list where the majority of entries are a single line. So we're not generally talking about alternating paragraphs. A one-line phrase aligned right just doesn't feel right as a list entry, it seems like a list needs aligned starting points.

Will experiment with Garamond Monotype, thanks for the correction.

We're getting close I think! Thanks again to the font deviants who have posted.

pop quiz hot shot: you will do the left/right align or i will burn your book *evil squint*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

(tbh mybiggest worry abt this project is avoiding either party being obviously secondary; haha gently caress you cousin i stole your ideas or vice versa)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh Berkeley Mono's gonna be my new terminal font.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I'm a fan of how fonts now apparently show off how they distinguish i, I 1, l and L.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It does depend a bit on the use case for the type; for something like Berkley up there, it makes a lot of sense to do that, it's critical to recognize every character precisely & quickly, especially when it's likely that what you are reading is not natural language. For most type though, you see the word 'language' and don't assume I typed 1anguage there, your brain is pretty good at filling that in. Instead, a lot of other type will show off characteristic features that tend to vary even between similar type, like the lower case g which can take on quite a few forms.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

aniviron posted:

It does depend a bit on the use case for the type; for something like Berkley up there, it makes a lot of sense to do that, it's critical to recognize every character precisely & quickly, especially when it's likely that what you are reading is not natural language. For most type though, you see the word 'language' and don't assume I typed 1anguage there, your brain is pretty good at filling that in. Instead, a lot of other type will show off characteristic features that tend to vary even between similar type, like the lower case g which can take on quite a few forms.

ya, audience and context are super important

usually when i typeset stuff, its for myself and maybe other old nerds, so i go in hard on garamond, and identical for all cases hopefully, but my cousins kid is dyslexic & they have a bunch of cool poo poo now including filters that change fonts on websites and stuff. anyway back in grade school my side partner & best friend was also dyslexic, but i remember that he could read my horrible handwriting. i did not vocalize. but i think its a reasonable supposition that differentiating fonts make them more legible

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Carthag Tuek posted:

(tbh mybiggest worry abt this project is avoiding either party being obviously secondary; haha gently caress you cousin i stole your ideas or vice versa)

i mean yeah you better believe his rear end is the one going right aligned or italics or whatever. i'm the one putting the poo poo together. i just needed some good faith experimentation with other methods.

i'm telling you though, a list of single line length text phrases resolved right is v difficult to read cause the start points aren't aligned, the ends are, so even if the whole thing were right aligned and not even alternating, it'd be a worse reading experience. wait till the arabic edition.

this is off topic but some posters here are seeming like real experts... in a font-unrelated but "formatting/typesetting long stuff for print" related query if anyone knows this stuff, I have a directors commentary version of this project where I've footnoted lots of the entries, in some cases with pretty lengthy notes. I've done footnotes numbered by page because no one interested in this dumb poo poo, not even me, would flip to end notes in this thing, especially as there are no chapters or anything. But because the footnotes are sometimes long, OpenOffice doesn't always space them how I would - like a long note will occupy some short chunk on its originating page and then continue on the next waaay bigger, instead of being majority on the page its reference is on. i can manipulate it manually with paragraph breaks a bit but it's mostly automated, and weird. I could live with that but even worse, when a lot of notes stack up it'll push later ones onto the next page and gently caress up the whole point of numbering footnotes on every page, which is that it's always 1-2-3-4... would i have better control over that stuff buying a month of MS word and importing this poo poo? or some other processor?

anyway uhhh my favorite font is... bookman

Deep Glove Bruno has a new favorite as of 10:42 on Apr 26, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i mean yeah you better believe his rear end is the one going right aligned or italics or whatever. i'm the one putting the poo poo together. i just needed some good faith experimentation with other methods.

i'm telling you though, a list of single line length text phrases resolved right is v difficult to read cause the start points aren't aligned, the ends are, so even if the whole thing were right aligned and not even alternating, it'd be a worse reading experience. wait till the arabic edition.

hell yea i agree a double-margin list would not work for a short work. im just being a dick because if it was me who was putting together a book with input from another that i wanted to be clear, i would also do what you did. complemetntary fonts are probably the best option but i just wanted to say, if it was me, i wouldnt want to be the one with the fat weight lol

re office software idk, cf above i use latex like a caveman

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I think OpenOffice pretty much got superseded by LibreOffice, didn't it?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Woebin posted:

I think OpenOffice pretty much got superseded by LibreOffice, didn't it?

i gave it a quick try when i first got into the footnote bullshit but it seemed to have the same issue. if you're saying LO is more up to date i'll give it another go

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i gave it a quick try when i first got into the footnote bullshit but it seemed to have the same issue. if you're saying LO is more up to date i'll give it another go

Libre Office forked from OpenOffice in 2011 and took most of the development with it. The last major release of OpenOffice was in 2014, LibreOffice continues to be worked on.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

I'm stupid and need help. I swore I saw a font in this thread that was like a quirky gothic, the "g" character looked something like this:

But I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That sure looks like a Korean Hangul character.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

burexas.irom posted:

I'm stupid and need help. I swore I saw a font in this thread that was like a quirky gothic, the "g" character looked something like this:

But I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

maybe the Danish National Archives font, i posted about it a couple times on one of the first pages. not sure if it can be downloaded anywhere (its probably their trade dress or something), but it can be seen here:
https://www.rigsarkivet.dk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

That's the spice. Also, drat, it's kinda amazing.