Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Warcry effort post!

Warcry

Warcry started out as an Age of Sigmar boxed skirmish game where a small group of specific chaos god agnostic, but very flavourful chaos teams fought over the attention of the Chaos gods in the Eightpoints (an island that exists between all 8 mortal realms, and is one of the most coveted locations in the Cosmos).

Official site - https://ageofsigmar.com/games/warcry/
Original How to Play Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViibcFMTQRU

This was the original box (now OOP and hard to find) which came with 2 warbands and a beautiful terrain set. It was followed by 6 specific box releases of groups like the pictured Splintered Fang, Cypher Lords etc (pictured below), along with some of the Kill Team style 'mat and themed terrain' boxes that were often great deals. It includes some of the coolest squads sculpts the studio have put out.

It has recently had a new edition which added things like reactions, unlike most (non Kill Team) GW games the entire core rules of the Revised edition are free - along with the rules for all of the warbands in various 'compendiums' grouped by Grand Alliance.

Free Core Rules and Compendiums - https://www.warhammer-community.com/downloads/#warcry
The excellent WarCom Warcry Warband Builder - https://www.warhammer-community.com/warband-builder/

Previously GW had a series of books and card packs, and themed boxes that added most of the smaller units that would be eligible for the game across all of the existing Grand Alliances (and some specific cool mercenary monsters like the Mindstealer Sphiranx pictured) but these are now slightly out of data and superseded by the new free rules. Also worthy of note the rules for almost all of the Warcry Underworlds warbands were added as a group called 'Bladeborn' late in the first edition, but haven't quite got full updated rules for the revised edition yet.

Like Kill Team GW has recently committed to support this one for a while with a new big box of terrain and 2 warbands every quarter. We've seen 2 so far. Heart of Ghur and Sundered Fate, where action has moved out of the Eightpoints (and Chaos specific warbands) and into the Gnarlwood fighting around the ruins of a crashed Seraphon spaceship and what can only be described as a Meat Forest. if you have any AOS models you likely have enough to put together a Warband to give it a try - I tried it off the back of someone on the forums say it was the funnest game GW have put out and I don't think they're wrong!

The rules for each fighter are simple and also clearly were designed to sell cards without having to localise into each language. You can see points cost at top right (games typically play at around 1000 points), range, number of attacks, strength and damage/crit damage all listed fairly obviously on each weapon. Bottom right has speed, toughness and wounds. Each fighter also has 'runemarks' (the bearded faces on those cards), that map to generic and team specific abilities each team can activate using the dice resources. Essentially you roll a pool of dice each round and group them up by results, singles (which determine initiative), doubles, triples etc., with quads (four dice with the same result) activating some of the more powerful abilities you'll have access to. Sometimes the value will matter, 4x6s will be more powerful than 4x2s. It has all the usual modern stuff, alternating activations, you divide your warband up into 3 groups for deployment and dynamic missions can be generated on the fly with terrain, objective, deployment, twist decks, and they've recently added some decent 'competitive' scenarios.

Some pictures of my Warband, and some actions shots on my magnetized Warcry board -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Big Willy Style posted:

This makes me wonder if the arbiters are going to get vehicles because there are some big decals on that transfer sheet

Those look like they could fit Rhino doors? Maybe they get an Agents of the Inquisition style vehicle override rule so they can heist Rhinos.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

I remember that at one point PP was big enough that it had it's own printed hobby magazine. Their modelling articles were very good though all that scenery was redundant seeing as the games were being played with flat terrain (or was it a Mk3 thing?).

Thirsty Dog posted:

That magazine was great. No Quarter got me into Warmahordes in the first place.

Check out who used to run No Quarter and now runs White Dwarf (Lyle Lowery)! I guess it's a very specific skillset to have with only really a few magazines in the space.