Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Now I'm at the Korsica boss fight, and it is incredible how much I suck at these QTEs when there are no visual aids. I'm making a good-faith effort to reproduce these as I hear them, but it's almost always wrong. I'm nearly always off. It's embarrassing. This is me honestly trying, and I cannot get past it.

there is an audiovisual aid

Korsica will tense up in the same rhythm as her next combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I got it two minutes later. That's the key when you're stuck in a game, complain about it online.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
korsica’s accent is fake, her VA’s from Connecticut. sounded fine to me though

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

same man

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was really struggling to hold interest in everspace 2 long enough to complete it so I took a break on a whim to try Withering Rooms and 2 hours in this feels like the best kind of indie game. weird unpredictable stuff everywhere, gives you enough information to get going but doesn't handhold you, has a good sense of danger with stakes, and the curse (sanity) stuff is a neat mechanic with a lot of interactions. if it stays this good for the whole game it'll be on my top 10 this year for sure.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SirSamVimes posted:

I had to switch to a a +1 gargoyle halberd two thirds through blighttown and for the boss because my BKS broke and I wasn't willing to go all the way up and back down

It's been a long while since I needed to, but can't you repair at bonfires in DS1? Thought there was an item/upgrade to do that.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

FutureCop posted:

I'm currently playing as a Barbarian and while I'm not sure if it's optimal, I'm setting up my skills in such a way to embrace their arsenal aspect: basically every move has me switching to a different weapon to pull it off and it feels really cool, like something out of Nier Automata or Devil May Cry. Another sub-optimal pick is that I really enjoy using Kick to send enemies flying into walls and each other for damage like I'm playing Streets of Rage, but have to admit that its damage is pretty bad when compared to using something like Charge instead. Oh well! I don't mind making things a bit harder for myself as long as it looks cool.
One of the things Diablo does right that I think other ARPGs don't is that they let you learn the systems during the campaign but don't make it mandatory until a bit into endgame (or nightmare/hell) when you're naturally looking to optimize anyway. I've never had a problem just picking fun skills and rolling with them in Diablo but always hit a wall trying to do the same in Grim Dawn or PoE. Makes leveling new characters or starting new seasons a lot easier and I'm all for that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FishMcCool posted:

It's been a long while since I needed to, but can't you repair at bonfires in DS1? Thought there was an item/upgrade to do that.

You sure can, but I never bought the repair kit in that run because I thought it was a limited use item.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

State of Decay 2 is such a weird game.

It's been getting constant updates for the last 6 years but...uhh...I don't understand why.
I got it on sale and played it for a dozen or so hours and it's one of the most basic treepuncher games I've ever played. Not to say that it's bad, I just don't understand what makes people play it for 6 years.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Treepuncher fans are hardcore

I kind of understand it since I know I'm going to be regularly revisiting Terraria, Subnautica and Valheim for the next 20 years. But they are just treepuncher adjacent

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Jack Trades posted:

State of Decay 2 is such a weird game.

It's been getting constant updates for the last 6 years but...uhh...I don't understand why.
I got it on sale and played it for a dozen or so hours and it's one of the most basic treepuncher games I've ever played. Not to say that it's bad, I just don't understand what makes people play it for 6 years.

What you actually have to realize is this is how it works.

Zombie survival games are pretty popular with preteens and younger folks.

Every year a whole ton of kids age into the demographics for Minecraft/zombie survival/other survival sims. There is a constant influx of new gamers looking to satisfy that zombie survival craving. It makes a lot of sense when you don't think of it as the same people playing it for six years, but a whole new group of people looking to get their zombie survival fix every year.

Personally I'm over most of the survival genre except for vampire Survivors.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I dunno, I was under the impression that Sate of Decay while not 100/10 GotY material was at least doing the "semi-realistic zombie survival thing" in a direction different from the usual treepunching games. Project Zomboid being the only other one off the top of my head that is really going for that look and feel.

Hell, way back in the day when Left4Dead was contemporary me and some friends spitballed how cool it would be to have a game set in a realistic modern world and it was all about balancing scavenging abandoned buildings and protecting your home base and all this other poo poo and then it turned out they basically made that game.

Hell x2, remember when Fortnite was supposed to be that kind of game?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

State of Decay 2 was really good and I should revisit it. I found its survivor and base management to be more satisfying than most treepuncher games.

Anyways: I ESCAPED BLIGHTTOWN! I have made it down to a poison swamp! ... and more importantly I've found the Great Hollow! I think I am going the wrong way, but it's SO NICE to take a break from, well, all of that!

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

StrixNebulosa posted:

State of Decay 2 was really good and I should revisit it. I found its survivor and base management to be more satisfying than most treepuncher games.

Anyways: I ESCAPED BLIGHTTOWN! I have made it down to a poison swamp! ... and more importantly I've found the Great Hollow! I think I am going the wrong way, but it's SO NICE to take a break from, well, all of that!

I'm also about to enter the Great Hollow for the first time!

But I've already gotten all 4 lord souls and I'm just doing some clean up before I go tackle Manus and Gwyn. I have a feeling our experiences will be very different.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SOD2 is not at all a treepuncher? Don't treepunchers usually mean you're gathering resources by chopping/mining/punching? Make no mistake you are scrounging around for materials in the world but derogatorily referring to it as a treepuncher seems excessive. I thought the game was pretty unique with the base maintenance and upkeep stuff while having people you can switch between that all have different skills. They have added a ton of stuff to it as well that changes or improves the general gameplay loop. It's definitely a bit long in the tooth and allegedly SOD3 is still in the works so I also don't really understand why they continue to support it but yeah I think it's a good time personally and has some unique gameplay compared other standard zombie shooters.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Fanatical has a new Supreme Collection: a tad bit more pricey than their typical bundle, but this has some quality goods within, such as Doom Eternal, Streets of Rage 4, Astral Ascent, Hardspace Shipbreaker, High on Life, Astrea Six Sided Oracles, Gloomhaven, Evil West, ShowGunners, Deathloop, and, uh...Redfall?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Yay! Ill add it to the list of mainstream AAA popular games i havent bought/played yet. Too big of a backlog. Also Balatro:
- Spiderman Miles Morales
- Spiderman 2
- Horizon: Forbidden West
- Baulders Gate 3
- RE4: Remake
- Alan Wake 2
- Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
- God of War Ragnarok
- Sekero
etc

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Congrats!!

The Great Hollow isn't the wrong way really. More of a secret area/unfinished content that was too cool not to keep in the game. You might find one of my favourite places in the Dark Souls series.

Also, a silly hat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

explosivo posted:

SOD2 is not at all a treepuncher? Don't treepunchers usually mean you're gathering resources by chopping/mining/punching? Make no mistake you are scrounging around for materials in the world but derogatorily referring to it as a treepuncher seems excessive. I thought the game was pretty unique with the base maintenance and upkeep stuff while having people you can switch between that all have different skills. They have added a ton of stuff to it as well that changes or improves the general gameplay loop. It's definitely a bit long in the tooth and allegedly SOD3 is still in the works so I also don't really understand why they continue to support it but yeah I think it's a good time personally and has some unique gameplay compared other standard zombie shooters.

You punch trees in the form of crates to get resources instead.

The game's gameplay loop got really stale after just a dozen hours for me, but I'm also not a fan of the treepunchers in the first place.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

State of Decay has the advantage of being the only thing that does what it does. Playercount on steamcharts is 1.5k so I presume a lot of the interest is via game pass.

SOD3 is presumably another iterative game so the devs might be getting some benefit from continuing to keep the lights on 2.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

explosivo posted:

allegedly SOD3 is still in the works

Having known someone on that dev team, I'll be surprised if it ever actually happens; last I heard as of a year or so ago, they were stuck in that dev hell cycle of constantly scrapping & restarting development since nothing was coming together the way they wanted it to

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

so I went back to blighttown

:negative:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wintermutant posted:

Having known someone on that dev team, I'll be surprised if it ever actually happens; last I heard as of a year or so ago, they were stuck in that dev hell cycle of constantly scrapping & restarting development since nothing was coming together the way they wanted it to

Yeah that's not surprising in the least, there hasn't been a whiff of anything regarding that game since that first pre-rendered trailer however many years ago that was at this point.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

You punch trees in the form of crates to get resources instead.

The game's gameplay loop got really stale after just a dozen hours for me, but I'm also not a fan of the treepunchers in the first place.

"stale after a dozen hours" that's a long time to spend with any game while having a good time!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Unfortunately for the Great Hollow I've turned back to finish my business in the swamp and uh, hmm. I don't trust these signs. Time to stop and have lunch.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dark Souls fans wouldn't joke about that.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

try finger but hole

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You're very close to two of my favorite armor sets.

One is red and one is black and both have great armor/weight ratios

Keep exploring!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Unfortunately for the Great Hollow I've turned back to finish my business in the swamp and uh, hmm. I don't trust these signs. Time to stop and have lunch.

#2 at best.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Let's be honest there's a pretty amazing rear end ahead too

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

amazing chest ahead

I've seen her design before, but she's still pretty great, and I have to wonder if the sexy spider lady in Shadow of Mordor took inspiration from her.

but more importantly, she was fun to fight! Since fire just pierces all of my defenses, I went for pure full-aggro dodge only and two-handed my axe and put on some pyromancer gear and did my best to stay out of the lava. Took a few tries, but!

god I feel like a badass! :getin:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have to wonder if the sexy spider lady in Shadow of Mordor took inspiration from her.

man has yearned to gently caress a spider since ancient times

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Tiny Timbs posted:

when it works it works

when it doesn't work you lay everyone off and cash out

why wouldn't they?

Just makes me think of the SNL "Don't buy it sketch"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Gonna meet some fun buddies next IIRC.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

StrixNebulosa posted:

god I feel like a badass! :getin:

you are a badass!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That seems rude

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

FutureCop posted:

Fanatical has a new Supreme Collection: a tad bit more pricey than their typical bundle, but this has some quality goods within, such as Doom Eternal, Streets of Rage 4, Astral Ascent, Hardspace Shipbreaker, High on Life, Astrea Six Sided Oracles, Gloomhaven, Evil West, ShowGunners, Deathloop, and, uh...Redfall?

Seems like a really good bundle, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Noticed this game called Showgunners in there:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1155330/Showgunners/

94% overall positive reviews is not bad at all for a tactical RPG I haven't heard of. Will be sure to try the demo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you've ever wanted to listen to 12 hours of jonathan blow commentary, you don't exist, but, anyway, Braid Anniversary Edition comes out May 14th

https://store.steampowered.com/app/499180/Braid_Anniversary_Edition/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There is someone called Jonathan Blow wtf

They call him J-Blo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The 7th Guest posted:

if you've ever wanted to listen to 12 hours of jonathan blow commentary, you don't exist, but, anyway, Braid Anniversary Edition comes out May 14th

https://store.steampowered.com/app/499180/Braid_Anniversary_Edition/

I'm holding out for the Soulja Boy commentaries