Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

There is someone called Jonathan Blow wtf

They call him J-Blo
i call him J-Bio because he loves biotruths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

if you've ever wanted to listen to 12 hours of jonathan blow commentary, you don't exist, but, anyway, Braid Anniversary Edition comes out May 14th

https://store.steampowered.com/app/499180/Braid_Anniversary_Edition/

The only Jonathan Blow content I’m interested in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWqnz-7iQbY

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

before Braid he was a pretty friendly, interesting guy at least at conferences and in hotel bars

after Braid, man, what a waste of blood

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

few people are capable of surviving a complete and total obliteration by Soulja Boy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

before Braid he was a pretty friendly, interesting guy at least at conferences and in hotel bars

after Braid, man, what a waste of blood

Yeah a lot of those early pioneers in indie games went unhinged. The creator of Fez had a similar path, and also the Minecraft guy.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

okay what have they done with the ability to install games in a different place on your C:/ drive

I'm trying to help my brother-in-law get things setup for Viva New Vegas and we want to get New Vegas installed someplace not in Program Files (like C:/Games). I have that, and I did it years ago

I'm looking at the Storage settings on his computer, and selecting a folder in the "Add Drive" option is just not doing anything? I'm pretty confused. how do you get this done now?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You need to add a new game library for steam

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

You need to add a new game library for steam

at this point, I've literally reinstalled Steam for him in another location so that's that problem licked but now I'm mystified trying to figure out what the intended solution is meant to be

how do you add a new library?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Yeah a lot of those early pioneers in indie games went unhinged. The creator of Fez had a similar path, and also the Minecraft guy.

I have a great deal of respect for the fez guy because he got mad online, cancelled fez 2, said he was leaving, and hasn't been heard from since. That's real fortitude

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

I have a great deal of respect for the fez guy because he got mad online, cancelled fez 2, said he was leaving, and hasn't been heard from since. That's real fortitude

Gotta hand it to him in this regard, I fully expected him to change his mind like a month later. He actually legit went through with it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Grapplejack posted:

getting your company hacked to bits by gamergaters tends to leave an impression

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Johnathan Blow can tilt his karmic scales back to 0 simply at any time by facing Soulja Boy and discussing Braid, and seeing the joy in his game which Soulja saw

the fact that he doesn't and hasn't already ages ago speaks volumes as to his heart

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Grapplejack posted:

Still I wouldn't be surprised if he joined John Carmack to cause the AI apocalypse.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

grieving for Gandalf posted:

at this point, I've literally reinstalled Steam for him in another location so that's that problem licked but now I'm mystified trying to figure out what the intended solution is meant to be

In Steam settings, under Storage I believe, you can add a new library location. I guess I could have waited until I was at my desk to double check but :justpost:

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

There are settings in Steam to add a new library but in my experience that only works if its a different drive than your main steam install. I think you best bet is to just reinstall to a new location like you did.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Diephoon posted:

Seems like a really good bundle, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Noticed this game called Showgunners in there:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1155330/Showgunners/

94% overall positive reviews is not bad at all for a tactical RPG I haven't heard of. Will be sure to try the demo.

Yeah, I was kinda curious about this myself, and was considering grabbing it and Astral Ascent as I've played all of the other big hits. I'm not usually one for turn-based tactics, but judging from the reviews and description, it sounds like the game is going for a very 'lite' feel with loads of hand-crafted combat scenarios and minimal downtime/micromanagement. Gives me XCOM Chimera Squad which I quite enjoyed for similar reasons. The Running Man aesthetic is also intriguing. Didn't even realize it had a demo: guess I'll give it a go.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ShadowMar posted:

few people are capable of surviving a complete and total obliteration by Soulja Boy

Wasn’t SB essentially praising the game?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I thought the Fez guy quit because one of his puzzles was so stupid hard that the community was only able to solve it with a coordinated brute force effort and, even after they solved it, could not reverse engineer the puzzle to figure out how it was supposed to be done legitimately. Fez guy got pissed, took his ball and went home. That's what I'd read online, anyway. If it was some gamergate bullshit then that's probably more justified.

I tried out No Rest for the Wicked last night for a bit. Seems pretty cool, I like the weightiness of the combat and the exploration and level design feels good. It's weird though, since I do not get along with Souls-style games usually, and this one is definitely inspired by From. Maybe just having the camera pulled back a bit makes it easier for me to parse what's happening but the fights feel more manageable to me. Ill have to see if that holds up as I get farther in. Anyway, I'm liking it so far!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hi-Fi Rush really loves its fake accents. Mimosa has an...indeterminate continental European accent. I assume her VA is actually from Virginia or something. Her section so far is easier than the last one, but I heard the boss fight is pretty tough.

Starting to appreciate how good Peppermint's character model looks, she totally gets away with the half-shaved hairstyle, which is a rare thing. I hope she and Chai do end up becoming an item.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sorry, Chai is married to the music

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Wasn’t SB essentially praising the game?

He was he just wasn't doing it as jblo desired

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mimosa's area just has the absolute best music.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I thought the Fez guy quit because one of his puzzles was so stupid hard that the community was only able to solve it with a coordinated brute force effort and, even after they solved it, could not reverse engineer the puzzle to figure out how it was supposed to be done legitimately. Fez guy got pissed, took his ball and went home. That's what I'd read online, anyway. If it was some gamergate bullshit then that's probably more justified.

Definitely wasn't because of that puzzle, no idea that rumor even existed

https://www.polygon.com/2014/8/22/6057317/fez-developer-polytron-hacked-harassment

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Sorry, Chai is married to the music

Booooo. That's lame. They would make the perfect couple. He is a dumbass, she loves to bitch constantly.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

ymgve posted:

Definitely wasn't because of that puzzle, no idea that rumor even existed

https://www.polygon.com/2014/8/22/6057317/fez-developer-polytron-hacked-harassment

That article says he announced he was canceling Fez 2 and was out of game dev a year before the hack, no reason given. Prob why that rumor about the puzzle exists.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
He's done some interviews in the mean time and and indicated that he cancelled Fez 2 simply because he didn't really want to do it in the first place and took whatever excuse came along to get out of the industry.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Finally got around to playing a copy of Midnight Suns I got for my birthday last year. There was a good in here talking about a handful of mods to make the experience a little smoother. Does anyone remember what they were? I picked up the increased mission rewards mod but looking through Nexus there is a lot of "Magick but with big tits" mods to sift through.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mimosa wasn't too hard, just took a really long time. My tactic of just spamming the heavy attack combo + cycling through the summons is paying off. I am a genius.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Finally got around to playing a copy of Midnight Suns I got for my birthday last year. There was a good in here talking about a handful of mods to make the experience a little smoother. Does anyone remember what they were? I picked up the increased mission rewards mod but looking through Nexus there is a lot of "Magick but with big tits" mods to sift through.

I actually remember that post because I asked for it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3978943&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=84#post536951128

I ended up installing most of these one by one, when I felt I needed them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mimosa is almost pathetically easy to bully by just spamming assists nonstop. Once you know this it's kind of funny how badly you can beat her with zero technique, even on RM.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cute update from dwarf fortress:

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Megazver posted:

I actually remember that post because I asked for it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3978943&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=84#post536951128

I ended up installing most of these one by one, when I felt I needed them.

Thank you, this is the exact post I remember. Couldn't remember where it was posted.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

amazing chest ahead

I've seen her design before, but she's still pretty great, and I have to wonder if the sexy spider lady in Shadow of Mordor took inspiration from her.

but more importantly, she was fun to fight! Since fire just pierces all of my defenses, I went for pure full-aggro dodge only and two-handed my axe and put on some pyromancer gear and did my best to stay out of the lava. Took a few tries, but!

god I feel like a badass! :getin:

What the hell are you doing there now? :grin: I already did that, and I haven't seen most of the things you're talking about.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thronefall had a new update that introduced some mini-levels with special rules. The gold puzzle one was interesting, but I'm stumped on the traditional tower defense one.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

quote:

Today we have updated a portion of our Refund Policy regarding pre-purchased titles. This change covers titles that are in pre-purchase and offer “Advanced Access”. Playtime acquired during the Advanced Access period will now count towards the Steam refund period. You can find our more information regarding Steam Refunds here.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Azran posted:

[Steam's advanced access policies]

Sounds reasonable. Was there some notable issue recently that brought this to light?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Watch out! Big Video Game is here to ruin your childhood by bowdlerizing your favorite old video games.

In what can only be described as a travesty, the latest patch for the Tomb Raider Remaster removed some Lara Croft pinups from the remastered version of the game.

Soon to be coming to an angry video game youtuber near you!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

drat it now i have to tab out of the game to jerk off

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't care about Tomb Raider. The first reboot was okay I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Serephina posted:

Sounds reasonable. Was there some notable issue recently that brought this to light?

Can't think of anything, really.