Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone get Alaloth: Champions of The Four Kingdoms? When No Rest for the Wicked came out I was reminded that this game was on my radar at one point because each seem to have the same kind of combat. It looks super neat and the idea that there are also other heroes running around solving the world's problems so you can't dilly-dally around sound rad.

Devs on the Steam forums basically said the game is done and they're just keeping it in early access to tune the game up and finished up the roadmap they have set for themselves before doing a 1.0 so to speak and a console release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jimbot posted:

Anyone get Alaloth: Champions of The Four Kingdoms? When No Rest for the Wicked came out I was reminded that this game was on my radar at one point because each seem to have the same kind of combat. It looks super neat and the idea that there are also other heroes running around solving the world's problems so you can't dilly-dally around sound rad.

Devs on the Steam forums basically said the game is done and they're just keeping it in early access to tune the game up and finished up the roadmap they have set for themselves before doing a 1.0 so to speak and a console release.

I did, I found it a bit wonky to control, but haven’t put enough time into it to really give it a fair shake.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

You punch trees in the form of crates to get resources instead.

The game's gameplay loop got really stale after just a dozen hours for me, but I'm also not a fan of the treepunchers in the first place.

Its pretty much the only one of those kinda games that actually works. Its a decent 3rd person shooter, it does the survival thing without being a huge chore, you can kinda build a base and most importantly, the game just actually functions. It ticks a lot of boxes for people who like those games.

Not to say the game doesn't have problems, the difficulty is all over the place and it gets very samey quick. Also getting the .22lr with a suppressor pretty much removes most of the difficulty from the game except on Plague hearts and Juggernauts.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rebel Blob posted:

Watch out! Big Video Game is here to ruin your childhood by bowdlerizing your favorite old video games.

In what can only be described as a travesty, the latest patch for the Tomb Raider Remaster removed some Lara Croft pinups from the remastered version of the game.

Soon to be coming to an angry video game youtuber near you!

i really hope its some insanely dumb reason like its actually because they found out they'd have to pay out some kind of royalty to the original art team and decided to save a couple bucks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Serephina posted:

Sounds reasonable. Was there some notable issue recently that brought this to light?

I wonder what the refund rates were for Starfield and Suicide Squad?
Both are real bad games that released kind of recently and both did the "pay 30bux extra for 3 days of advanced access" thing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Rebel Blob posted:

Watch out! Big Video Game is here to ruin your childhood by bowdlerizing your favorite old video games.

In what can only be described as a travesty, the latest patch for the Tomb Raider Remaster removed some Lara Croft pinups from the remastered version of the game.

Soon to be coming to an angry video game youtuber near you!

edit: also lol at being mad at censorship while being afraid to say the ultra naughty f word :saddowns:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
no fcking way

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phlegmish posted:

I don't care about Tomb Raider. The first reboot was okay I guess

The only Tomb Raiders I've played were Guardian of Light and the sequel to that. The first one was pretty fun and the second was unbelievably broken

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah Guardian of Light owned

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

There are settings in Steam to add a new library but in my experience that only works if its a different drive than your main steam install. I think you best bet is to just reinstall to a new location like you did.

Yeah, you cannot have more than one library per drive (just checked on my PC).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I wonder what the refund rates were for Starfield and Suicide Squad?
Both are real bad games that released kind of recently and both did the "pay 30bux extra for 3 days of advanced access" thing.

I definitely think it was a frequent thing with Starfield. Early access made it playable 5 days earlier, even before the "day 1" Game Pass release. If there ever was a game with both anticipation and skepticism before launch, it was that one. I imagine not very much people knew about the refund loophole before, but knowledge about it spread wider with Starfield's release.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, people were definitely getting refunds for Starfield after having played way more than the normal two hours if they brought the dumb expensive version that let you play early, and asked for a refund before the official release.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Veotax posted:

Yeah, people were definitely getting refunds for Starfield after having played way more than the normal two hours if they brought the dumb expensive version that let you play early, and asked for a refund before the official release.

That kinda sounds like the smart cheap version of the game in hindsight.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
well if you were smart enough to not pre-order you could just read the bad impressions from the 3-day-early people (or the day-1 players) and say "hm guess I won't buy this game after all", no refund needed

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you were even smarter you could've reach the same conclusion by just reading the developer name.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

pentyne posted:

i really hope its some insanely dumb reason like its actually because they found out they'd have to pay out some kind of royalty to the original art team and decided to save a couple bucks.

Might just be to avoid getting a sexual content / nudity tag. Not really worth getting that tag just for a background gag.

Or maybe it's because (afaik) the original creators hated that the publisher /marketing kept pushing the sex symbol angle.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

well if you were smart enough to not pre-order you could just read the bad impressions from the 3-day-early people (or the day-1 players) and say "hm guess I won't buy this game after all", no refund needed

I guess I shouldn't judge, I pre-ordered Dragon's Dogma 2, even though I usually don't even play games right after their release. DD2 was pretty much exactly what I expected and I had a blast, though. By contrast, I never would have pre-ordered Starfield after what happened with Fallout 76.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

dark souls: oh my god I am dying more to this elevator than anything else in blight town. how the gently caress do you dismount it safely

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUviyGQC2I8

WHAT

IT'S THAT EASY

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 24, 2024

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Might just be to avoid getting a sexual content / nudity tag. Not really worth getting that tag just for a background gag.

Or maybe it's because (afaik) the original creators hated that the publisher /marketing kept pushing the sex symbol angle.

It's like putting sephiroth in a sweater vest and slacks. Like your character has a history and an association and it's been that way for 25 years, just own it already

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it’s OK for things to change. you aren’t entitled to have others work to your preferences in entertainment. there is no moral failing in removing them any more than there would have been in not putting them there in the first place

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Let Sephiroth participate in Business Casual Fridays, I say.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

credburn posted:

edit: also lol at being mad at censorship while being afraid to say the ultra naughty f word :saddowns:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

it’s OK for things to change. you aren’t entitled to have others work to your preferences in entertainment. there is no moral failing in removing them any more than there would have been in not putting them there in the first place

I don't think you can make this argument when you're doing a remaster instead of creating an entirely new work. If this was Lara Croft in the vein of the ff7 remakes, ok, but it's kind of just the original game but upscaled lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grapplejack posted:

I don't think you can make this argument when you're doing a remaster instead of creating an entirely new work. If this was Lara Croft in the vein of the ff7 remakes, ok, but it's kind of just the original game but upscaled lol

they can do anything they want, they’re the ones making the game!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
There is a secret Extremely Based version of Duke Nukem Forever other than the one we got that is so dangerous to the pathetic Modern Gaming Mindset that lovely Randy Pitchford refuses to even acknowledge it exists. They had to replace that content with Fail and Cringe at the last moment, and then later disavow the franchise entirely. Some hackers allegedly stole the source code, but word is, they're starting to turn up dead and now nobody's talking...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maybe they just didn't want to imply Lara Croft is for some reason canonically doing nude photoshoots

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Anyone here tried out Cthulhu's Reach: Devil Reef?

It's on Early Access for 10 bucks, just curious if anyone here has played it and had some thoughts.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Rinkles posted:

Wasn’t SB essentially praising the game?

Yeah, but Jonathan Blow also got mad at all the high review scores Braid got because they weren’t praising it for the right things.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bumhead posted:

Yeah, but Jonathan Blow also got mad at all the high review scores Braid got because they weren’t praising it for the right things.

Yeah, it was a lot of "there's a stupid, pretentious story going on, but the gameplay is really good!", which is the opposite of what he wanted. It's no wonder The Witness has no real plot

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So he got into an unprompted feud with the 'shout out to the slave masters' guy and managed to come out the loser

Freakin' J-Blo man

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

wizard2 posted:

There is a secret Extremely Based version of Duke Nukem Forever other than the one we got that is so dangerous to the pathetic Modern Gaming Mindset that lovely Randy Pitchford refuses to even acknowledge it exists. They had to replace that content with Fail and Cringe at the last moment, and then later disavow the franchise entirely. Some hackers allegedly stole the source code, but word is, they're starting to turn up dead and now nobody's talking...

https://mega64.com/doughuggem

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hmm. Assassin's Creed Valhalla is on sale, and I want to play something that isn't a masterpiece, but more comfort food...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hmm. Assassin's Creed Valhalla is on sale, and I want to play something that isn't a masterpiece, but more comfort food...

Odyssey is comfort food. Valhalla is unflavored slop.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

kazil posted:

Odyssey is comfort food. Valhalla is unflavored slop.

Agreed. I would recommend odyssey over the other two any day. Also Kassandra is objectively the correct character to play as

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Try Fallout 76, it's having a moment right now.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think it's a bit silly to remove some low resolution pin ups from the Tomb Raider remaster but also the rest of it was done really well (at least from playing TR 1 + the expansion) and I don't think I care very much that they removed the posters.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mr E posted:

I think it's a bit silly to remove some low resolution pin ups from the Tomb Raider remaster but also the rest of it was done really well (at least from playing TR 1 + the expansion) and I don't think I care very much that they removed the posters.

It's impossible for me to find sexy pictures on the Internet, personally I'm mad as hell!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Mr E posted:

I mean, I kiiiind of get why someone would be upset about it, but anytime they alter an older game like this for a remaster my first thought is "well then just play the original". People want older games preserved to the T, but also want them updated with all sorts of QoL improvements.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Mr E posted:

It's a missed opportunity really, to have an empty wall instead of replacing the horny pics with totally normal photos of Lara with her dog, or skiing during vacation or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

I mean, I kiiiind of get why someone would be upset about it, but anytime they alter an older game like this for a remaster my first thought is "well then just play the original". People want older games preserved to the T, but also want them updated with all sorts of QoL improvements.

To be fair the original versions of the first TR trilogy are kind of a giant pain to get running well on modern systems but the people mad about this don't have those on GOG or whatever anyway and just are looking for things to get mad about. Rarely when gamer rage like this happens are the maddest people even fans of the original thing in the first place. It is funny to me that they went to the effort of upscaling the videos, making textures that match up to the original very well, but two pin up images need to be removed in a patch. Unfortunately those were the only two risque images of Lara on the internet :(.

Frionnel posted:

It's a missed opportunity really, to have an empty wall instead of replacing the horny pics with totally normal photos of Lara with her dog, or skiing during vacation or whatever.

They should have done this.