Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Foul Fowl posted:

i honestly don't think the dark souls 1 world design was very good, in retrospect, although it had a lot of style. the best areas are the ones like undead burg and anor londo and sen's that are designed to go through once with a lot of cool encounters that feel bespoke and interesting. at the time it felt massively open but in reality (without glitching the game) you can do the intended path, or you can go to darkroot with the master key, or you can go to the valley of the drakes with the master key. you still need the lordvessel (and the game gates off a bunch of stuff with a fog wall if you don't lol). you still need to kill sif. you still need to get the lord souls. it must have taken so much effort to make the first half of the game like that too because the entire back half is a bunch of linear paths into some sloppy garbage areas with lovely gimmicks and some recycled enemies and awful bosses.

i mean it's cool as gently caress to see the demon ruins from the tomb of the giants or whatever but i'd rather take a game that plays well.

Other than MGSV, Dark Souls 1 is probably one of the most obvious and high profile examples of developers just running out of time and money. The drop in quality of assets and design after Anor Londo is absolutely drastic. If you stand around Lost Izalith long enough you can probably hear someone yelling "just ship it!" hidden in the ambient audio.

I actually think the first half of the game deserves more credit the further removed we are from it. I still think the flow of travel between those opening areas is unrivalled by anything else since, and although lessened on repeat play-throughs, discovering the shortcuts and the paths from one area to another has been one of game designs true highlights of the last 15 years. That sensation of thinking "cool, I'm back here" after taking an elevator to a familiar location, and the sheer relief of realising you felt that much closer to Firelink by opening up a nice shortcut, was extraordinary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its actually the best designed videogame world ever op

Lost Izalith rules, it rules that it's so plainly unfinished, the 30 demon dinosaur haunches just copy pasted every rules, the bed of chaos rules, those funny enemies with the tentacles and the massive mouth on top of their head rule. Dark Souls 1 wouldn't have been a better game if the developers had unlimited time and money, its awesome that theres a clear point where things got rushed, gimme a game with jaggedy edges anyday, yum yum

I can't disagree. Those areas are still part of the Dark Souls story and I'm glad they're still in the game.

It's just rare for games to show their development time and budget hand to that extent. To go from such a tightly crafted, intricate experience to warping between copy/paste areas, re-used asset dumps and bosses like the Bed of Chaos is honestly hilarious.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I came away from this sale with Elden Ring, and before the sale has even ended I'm starting to remember why I bounced off the game pretty hard at release.

Not quitting on it yet but.. I think that's where I'm heading.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

sebmojo posted:

Are you leveling health and using summons?

Yeah. I should probably have qualified what I meant rather than just drop in a Facebook-rear end vague status about it.

I love the Souls games generally and have finished Dark Souls, Demons Souls and Bloodborne. They're pretty much 3 of my favourite games of all time. I think Sekiro is brilliant too despite the fact I never finished it, and that it's essentially designed around all the aspects of Souls combat I'm not good at. I still regard Sekiro a top tier game.

I keep losing momentum with Elden Ring for reasons I can't quite establish. Contrary to any issues around difficulty, I'm finding most encounters in the open world a bit trivial, and feel like I'm not getting as much out of the sense of exploration as I should be. The issue I faced back at launch was that I really enjoyed my time in Limgrave, really enjoyed Stormveil Castle, and then started to tire of the open world once I hit the Lakes. Following the same pattern again. I'm finding a temptation to just bolt up onto Torrent and make a rapid beeline through the Lakes, rather than carefully navigate my way through, which is always the point where any open world starts to lose me.

Maybe I just need to take a break, but there's an equal possibility Elden Ring just isn't my jam.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

HopperUK posted:

It's also totally fine if the general shape of the game isn't for you, even if it's objectively a great game.

Oh yeah, 100%.

The worst case scenario is that I walk away with nothing bad to say about it other than that it isn't for me, which is exactly where Sekiro sits in my mind.

I'm clinging on for now though as I'm struggling to admit defeat with it - again, a reflection of how good I know the game is.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

LLSix posted:

Anyone think we'll ever get a Fallout 5?

Fallout 4 was released in 2015. That was 7 years ago.

Fallout 1 was released in 1997.
Fallout 2 was released in 1998!

Holy cow, cancel my earlier question, Fallout 1 & 2 were released only a year apart? What sort of dark sorcery allowed such fast development?

Our best hope is Microsoft impatience.

I don’t think they made the investment in the Bethesda acquisition to have IP like Fallout sit dormant for 10-15 years, or to have the IP carried alone by a product like FO76.

They have other studios who can do something with the IP (hello, Obsidian) even if it’s not Fallout 5 by number.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

That Potter game has got "This came out this year?" by October written allover it.

Online discourse for that game will top out at a week.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

but what can ya do.

Just keep expanding on The Division 1 instead of making a sequel. Keep making new content for Lower Manhatten and hey maybe even extend the map to other areas of NY over time.

And instead of setting it in seasons other than Winter, just go ham with the snow. Narratively work climate change into their post apocalypse and double down on snow and its effect on survival.

That's what I'd do, sat in my pants at home with zero game development or business experience, nearly 4 years after the sequel did actually come out. Yeah, that's it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

By mid-March, Forspoken will feel like it released about 12 years ago.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Microsoft can test my resolve with another Doom or a nu-Quake, but other than that, paying $70 for games can get all the way to gently caress.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Volte posted:

This makes me think about the debate over Doomguy in Doom 2016 and the famous monitor punch. The people who insist he was punching that monitor because he didn't care about the story and setting, and lament the perceived loss of that attitude in Eternal, are wishing for the badass silent protagonist equivalent of those self-apologetic Marvel quips (giving middle fingers to everything he sees because it's stupid).

That attitude was still in Eternal anyway. There are cutscenes where Doomguy literally walks off from people as they’re speaking.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

GhostDog posted:

Most of the 30-60 minutes games in my library are actually good games that I bought because they came so highly recommended, only to realize that nope, Inscryption will not make me like a card game and Hades will not make me like a roguelike hack-and-slash(?). Also quite a few classics that I bought just to have them.

Similar here. I need to be better at valuing my own preferences and time, because nothing about Hades or Hollow Knight managed to convince me those games were for me even after I played them.

Inscryption and Outer Wilds are two big ones for me every time there's a sale on. I can almost guarantee I won't like either, but the reception to them is so positive it's tricky to ignore them at discount.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

mystes posted:

Am I seriously the only one who doesn't like the dialogue?!

No you're not. It was one of the contributing factors to me ditching Hades as well. It's firmly not my thing for a few reasons, but I really didn't click with the dialogue or voice work. Been a lot of drama recently about bad/cringe dialogue in games, but I've not seen much as bad as Hypnos from Hades.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Blattdorf posted:

I have mixed feelings on Doom Eternal. On the one hand, you can see the outline of Doom 2016 with all the cool things that made that one stand out in its own way. On the other hand, the game refuses to let you be confused. It's nuts the extent to which it has this "modern gaming" varnish all over it. Also, the Marauder is such a retardedly designed enemy that I have no idea how it squeezed through the design phase.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

While I don’t agree with your choice of language, or even have much of an issue with the Marauders in general, I do agree that Doom Eternal is a confusing game. At launch I found it utterly exhilarating, thought it was the most hype poo poo ever. But I struggle to go back to it. Didn’t really enjoy a recent attempt at another play through and in the back half especially, there are lengthy sections that I just dread the thought of re-playing.

By contrast I play Doom 2016 at least once a year and love it every time.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Huh, just noticed Chivalry 2 is on sale in impulse range.

Is the extended content and DLC worth bothering with?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think I'm going to hold out and see how any early reviews land, but I'm looking forward to the launch of Pharaoh: A New Era today.

One of those 90's classics that I remember playing, but kinda forgot about for years until I saw this remake was on the way.

EDIT: Oh man, didn't know Returnal was today as well.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 15, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Foul Fowl posted:

keep returnaling to returnal for another run in the middle of my work from home day. will need some more time to decide what i really think but so far it feels like it's very confident in itself. weirdly so for a AAA game which usually have severe crises of confidence in themselves and the player and need to dress everything up and make it as smooth and frictionless as possible. returnal goes here's the game, you shoot monsters and they shoot you, hope you enjoy

I'm not hugely into Returnal, but I do respect it, and this is probably along the lines of why. Specifically in the context of Sony's other first party IP, Returnal really confidently stands out as its own thing.

It just feels like the type of game Sony don't make anymore. Like a game pulled out of their mid-2000's era, as if it should have been on the PS2 or early PS3, or maybe an obscure PSP title that never left Japan (obviously not visually, just in terms of its feel and vibe). It obviously has modern inspirations and looks amazing, but I found Returnal conjures up a weird sense of nostalgia for a 15 year old version of this game that doesn't exist - or maybe just the way AAA used to feel.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

This Star Wars sale seems fun. Bunch of games for next to gently caress all.

Battlefront 2 (2005) a good purchase? Is the online active? Might pick up Episode 1 Racer as well, a game I have looked at and thought "huh, I should play that" literally since it came out without ever bothering.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

So I went to see a Tony Hawks Pro Skater cover band at the weekend (The 900 - one of the most fun shows I've ever been to) and it got me wondering.

Why the gently caress isn't that THPS 1+2 remaster on Steam yet?

I thought it was only Epic exclusive for a year, which has now passed?

I keep hearing about how Activision are desperate for the MS acquisition to go through as they've essentially backed their own business into a corner. That seems like a super quick win for a buck or two. See also; Crash Team Racing on PC.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

haha what posted:

sort of related but i was playing this yesterday on ps4 and apparently (can confirm as i tried it) the online servers actually no longer connect unless you tether yourself to a mobile hotspot??? this has apparently been the case since january 1st

Haha, wtf

It's such a monkeys paw release. Yeah you get this remake and actually it's brilliant, but here's a load of bullshit around the edges of it and we're not putting it on Steam. Also, don't expect the most home run, bankable DLC anyone could possibly make with a 3+4 remaster because we can't be arsed.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

ymgve posted:

post the most surprising game install sizes in your library

Not For Broadcast is a pretty niche indie game, but it's 50GB because it's all branching FMV stuff

Valheim is slightly above one single gigabyte

Dirt Rally 2.0 being 110GB is the most obnoxious poo poo ever.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The 7th Guest posted:

rocksteady has done it again. powerful

wow i have +9% ammo reserve capacity. AND 4% bonus Impact (tm)

i can feel myself growing stronger by the second!!!! aaaaaa!! this is to go even further beyond!!! my previous gear score!!!!!!!

Genuinely not being hyperbolic here, but I never want to play a game that looks like this ever again.

Finding it surprisingly easy to stick to that stance, too.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Jack Trades posted:

I miss Burnout and NFS: Most Wanted.
It's crazy that there haven't been another game like that in 11 years.

EA is sat on some of the racing genre's most prestigious IP and a couple of years ago acquired the industry's leading racing game focused studio.

I hoped that would lead to more than we've seen so far. We've got to be close to an announcement on this years rally game (EA can use the WRC license they acquired with Codies from this year) but even then I guess we'll see if that's actually a good thing vs what could have been a theoretical Dirt Rally 3.0.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Fuligin posted:

isnt this minecraft dungeons

Minecraft Dungeons is a thoroughly decent game. Got a lot of mileage out of it with my kids but I enjoyed it for what it was too.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Yeah I seem to recall one being due this month too.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Nice of Activision to chuck some of those previously Battlenet exclusive COD games on Steam.

Now do Diablo.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Owl Inspector posted:

this weekend will mark 1 year since stranger of paradise released on EGS and if it doesn't appear on steam I will be sad.

Still waiting for Tony Hawks to be released from Epic's shackles and that games year of exclusivity ended ages ago.

The lack of clarity or communication on these things is just really odd.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

secretly best girl posted:

This is the one I've fully given up hope on given all the stories of Activision just going "gently caress this, gently caress this team, gently caress this game, gently caress this license" and scuttling everything about it. Oh, we could have had a 3+4 remaster or DLC or something? Oh, no, we sentenced everyone on this labor of love to the WoW mines? loving christ.

Activision have established a policy of baffling, arbitrary bullshit as a tentpole of their business model. We keep hearing about their financial struggles if the Microsoft acquisition doesn't go through, yet they're sat on what seem like fairly slam dunk ROI opportunities like getting THPS on Steam, 3+4 DLC, getting Crash Team Racing on PC etc without doing anything with them. There just doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to which ActiBlizz games are exclusive where or why or for how long. I mean just last week we got a dump of fairly recent COD games on Steam out of nowhere. Crash 4 was Epic exclusive for a bit (IIRC?) but is now on Steam yet THPS still isn't.. ugh.

My hope is that this type of bollocks is a real week 1, quick win thing for Phil to look at - assuming the acquisition passes.

Fruits of the sea posted:

There's so many cool games being released that I've never really had to consider whether creating another account on a new platform is worth the minimal effort. Would have been a different story if Epic existed back when I was a broke-rear end college student though.

Owning a Steam Deck just hammers this home even more. On a desktop PC it's just.. mildly annoying having all these different launchers. Steam Deck just makes it loving suck when PC games exist exclusively anywhere else.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Milo and POTUS posted:

I am so pumped for steam sale you clowns don't even know. Been waiting months for a discount and I'm reasonably sure I'm gonna get it :pray:

Same here. I'm looking forward to buying a years worth of games, to add to the years worth of games I bought 3 months ago that I haven't played yet.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1494810/Mortal_Sin/

Anyone played Mortal Sin yet?

I assume it's brilliant. Have absolutely zero reason to think anything else.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

err posted:

if i liked elden ring would i like sekiro? i think i remember reading it relies on timed parries way more than the other games and i never parried in elden ring and found it hard to do.

The big difference between Sekiro and the other Souls games is that the other games all give you options on how you deal with a road block - even if that’s just going away and levelling up a bit, choosing a different weapon or summoning help. The Souls games are hard but they do provide a helping hand. Elden Ring is probably the most accommodating of this given the size of the open world.

Sekiro expects you to git gud and doesn’t give a poo poo if you can’t. You can’t level your way through or bring a friend to help you out. You either learn and master the parry system or you don’t. And there are mid-game bosses specifically designed to be skill checkpoints to test your progress with that. Sekiro is a phenomenal videogame but I think it’s fundamentally the hardest of the recent From games by design.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Serephina posted:

I mean, Ori is still cheap right now, with some additional features if anyone cared for such. You'll just have to wait for a sale like for anything else you think it's not worth full price (which it is).

Part of the mentality battle with Steam and the prospect of sale pricing.

There are games on my wishlist that I want to play more than some of the games from my list that are on sale, and I still haven't bought them. Talking about games which are £6 or less even at full price and still cheaper than some of those on sale.

It's ridiculous really and before this sale is done I think I'm going to have a thorough look at how I've spent my money during this sale. I'm leaning towards refunding a couple of sale items and just buying some of the games I actually really want to play whether they're on sale or not.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Just started playing Cruelty Squad.

loving hell.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I honestly don’t know what I expected from Cruelty Squad, but I probably didn’t expect to.. well, like it as a game as much as I do?

The extent to which it’s visually hostile to the player is laugh out loud hilarious. I mean this is a real, genuine affront to humanity or our collective sense of decency. It’s brilliant.

But it’s really good? Like not in a wacky or zany way (but definitely that too) - the game feel and controls and shooting all feel really solid? It’s lovely and responsive and blowing these dudes into chunks is satisfying as gently caress.

Also a shout out to the audio. I burst out laughing when I got in the car for the first time. The vehicle engine sound in this game is the worst noise ever recorded and I love it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Hi Steamers, is there a PC builders thread on this here forum?

I have some stupid build questions I'd like to bother fellow goons with.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Super, thank you.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

unruly posted:

I'm sure the game will be good, and it'll be a good showcase of FPS with Source2.

I'm just done with CS in general. I got my fill in during the early 'aughts and again when Source and Go came out. I really don't need any more of that. I'm sure it'll do gangbusters, though.

I treat CS like a comfy pair of slippers. Ya know, if your slippers were Russian and shouted that you're a dickhead every 5 minutes.

The only two online multiplayer games I have enough interest in playing are Unreal Tournament 99 and Counter-Strike. But where UT99 has the obvious issue of being one of 16 other weirdo's who can't move on with their lives, it's comforting to know that the core Counter-Strike experience is always just there and remains extremely active - regardless of what version you're playing.

It's definitely one of my chill out/mindless podcast games, which I appreciate is the antithesis to how chronically stressful and irritating the whole experience should be.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

There's no way the timing of this is an accident either.

We're less than 24 hours removed from the closure of the 3DS and Wii U eShop's, and as ever when it comes to the subject of game preservation, Nintendo can get to absolute gently caress.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think Steam's approach is pretty fair, really. You've got 2 weeks to no quibble change your mind about even owning a game, and up to 2 hours of play time is fair enough in most cases to make a decision on if you're not happy.

They're pretty open when there's bullshit involved as well. IIRC they've recently honoured The Last of Us refunds of over 2 hours "play" time over that shader cache issue? They've previously done the same with Flight Sim and other games where you need to keep the game running as part of the installation.

I feel like once you start pushing those times further out, you just open the door to people taking the piss a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Hwurmp posted:

refunds only after 1,000 hours, support the true gamers

Subject to leaving a negative review at 1,000+ hours