Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’ve resolved to play more video games, so I’m probably gonna have less time for comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh yeah, I got the Vampi omnibus ages ago and it’s just been sitting on my shelf. I guess that’s my comics resolution; finally read Vampi.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read the first issue of Kamen Rider Zero-One. I don't know why it exists. It's not a retelling or adaptation of the series, I guess it's supposed to be canon, some extra stuff that happened like 10 episodes into the show? But at the same time, they assume most of the people reading it have never seen the show so the entire first issue is dedicated to incredibly clunkily delivering a ton of exposition.

It also introduces a new villain. But, like, Aruto's already fighting Metsuboujinrai.net! And presumably this all takes place before Thouser shows up so he has another villain waiting in the wings. To put a new villain here is so loving weird. Especially one whose main thing apparently is wanting to kill Kamen Riders, when Zero-One is one of the series where the Kamen Rider status is the least significant, or heroic. Half the Kamen Riders in the show are villains! And the big stakes-raising moment is that the new bad guy highjacks Zea. But if you've seen the show, you know another villain does that later. So it's not impressive. And if you haven't seen the show, you were informed about Zea like four panels previously. So it doesn't really have a lot of punch.

Also, a small thing, but Izu seems to have a different pose and facial expression every panel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Also, I gotta say, Henshins lose a lot of impact in printed form.

Here is the first time Aruto transforms in the comic

Compare that to a transformation from the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rop1GZwQCLs

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

secretly best girl posted:

Oh gently caress, that actually released?! Does that make it the first Rider license from... Titan? to show up on shelves? I know they also announced they were going into manga publishing and figured that would land first.

The first volume of the Kuuga manga came out last month

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FilthyImp posted:

I love the rider looks but freaking hate their giant henshin bucklers and overdone module things

no theyre cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltEQVjRWB-E

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Spawn had their big relaunch recently, how’s new Spawn going?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Java_jigga/status/1616526450315915265?s=20&t=6nzPTfqH1xWvbkItUGKCkA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kamen Rider is doomed in America

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Gay Who Turned Kaiju is pretty good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Medullah posted:

People like them signed on the cover because they generally get them graded after signature. Unfortunately signed comics actually hurt the value of a book more often than not because you have to have proof that the creator signed it (COA at a modern convention, I've heard CGC will accept pictures of you with the artist for older stuff).

Otherwise it's a book with writing damage on it. So good for nostalgia

God grading is such a bullshit industry.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1623018247095259145?s=20&t=f2Zf9hDcgROdT_MpqQAEjA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1626369259273170945?s=46&t=PBEFlONXZwAZGfskQom5ZQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Opopanax posted:

Ok, but once you recognize the secret reason for this meeting you’ll regret your words and deeds

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1626369930793721856?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I really really want to know more about one of these plotlines

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh man, I just got the King Spawn and Gunslinger Spawn trades at the Barnes and Noble Image sale, and it has me hankering to get back into Spawn. While I was checking out, I swear to god, the guy at the register said "oh wow, Spawn, I didn't know we had Spawn"

It's in the air, the people cry out for Spawn

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What's your objection to that point?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I figured out why that "Young Animal" thing DC tried didn't become the new Vertigo like they hoped. Comic artists don't take enough hallucinogens anymore. They're like, "huh what would be a fun new story to tell with these beloved classic characters?" when they should be like, "I have discovered a primordial truth about the universe, these forgotten comic archetypes shall be the tool I use to explain this reality to children"

We need to take a bunch of promising young aspiring comic artists, lock them in a mansion with dangerous amounts of LSD and mushrooms, a stack of Criterion Collection movies, a bookshelf of Omni back issues, and no internet. After six months you let them out and say "We've decided 'Salvation Run' is too marketable a title to not use. I need an outline for a 20 issue run of a comic series called 'Salvation Run' in four hours. You can't use any character that's appeared in a movie."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

StumblyWumbly posted:

It's also easier to just publish your own stuff if you want to be independent. I don't know if Grant Morrison did any big vertigo work, invisibles was image, I thought.
I don't know if Neil Gaiman does more drugs than Gerard Way, but you never know.

It's an issue with comics outside the big two too. I actually started thinking about this after I read Littel Bird. Little Bird is incredibly obviously heavily influenced by Incal. But one think it doesn't take from Incal at all is the spirituality. There's an evil church, but there is no positive cosmology to counter it. It's Incal without god.

The great Britich comic wave of the 80s brought not just psychedelic-derived spiritualism, but also a lot of stuff from the broader counter culture. It was this massive infusion of new inspiration. And I kind of feel like that was the last time a lot of new stuff was brought to American comics.

Image opened up American comics a lot, breaking them out of just superheroes and into superheroes, sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. But it still seems to me like American comics are more closed off to new influences than ever. It's become so insular. American comics are based on American comics and the occasional other pieces of American pop culture.

Like, another comic I read recently was Radiant Black. I was pretty excited for it because I'm a fan of Tokusatsu and people said it was drawing a lot from Tokusatsu. But then I read it, and it's not at all. It's just a normal American superhero story. You could argue, and the comic itself argues, that the hero designs are influenced by Tokusatsu suits. But I would argue, no they aren't. Not really. The heroes have the same base design with different colors, like a Sentai team, but it doesn't take any actual design cues from Tokusatsu suits beyond that. It's like the Marvel Ultraman stuff, you have American comics where the basic premise and selling point is that they are drawing from Tokusatsu, but in reality there's a loving brick wall, they are telling normal American comic stories with slight Tokusatsu visual trappings and none of the actual uniqueness gets through

Endless Mike posted:

Animal Man and Morrison's run on Doom Patrol were both published as DC comics and retroactively moved to Vertigo after they were off the book. Invisibles was always Vertigo though. I think Invisibles is the only one Berger was involved in.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think a big part of vertigo's success may have been that the founder, Karen Berger, may have been good with talent or stories.

This is another important point about the Vertigo/Young Animal comparison. Vertigo was created because they noticed that they had this crop of artists making new, innovative stuff. Young Animal was created because they thought they should do stuff like Vertigo again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

By American comics do you mean all American comics, including webcomics, or just the stuff tied to a major publisher? Because I think there’s a good deal of riffs on foreign influences happening in the webcomic space, even if it’s, at least in my opinion, a lot less vibrant than it was, say, fifteen years ago

Yeah I meant big mainstream publishers specifically. In any medium or genre there's always unique stuff at the edge if you're willing to go search for it. It just seems like very little new is being brought in to the center

secretly best girl posted:

I was debating pulling a few webcomics out as an example too.

I've definitely been thinking about how I'm reading less webcomics than I did back in the 2000s and while a) I feel like there probably are just less by volume now, b) I kind of wonder if the issue isn't the bar feeling too high for a lot of first-timers or teens or young folk to want to stick their neck out there in an era of stronger competition and vicious online abuse.

Also, nobody has their own website anymore.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/mangamogurare/status/1638624790272417792?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

Classic manga unfortunately doesn’t sell anywhere near enough to justify better availability, although in Lone Wolf and Cub’s case it’s because Dark Horse is really garbage at re-printing manga that aren’t Berserk or (to a much lesser extent) Blade of the Immortal.

The vast majority of the manga-buying audience wants whatever’s got a hit anime recently or what they read in middle school.

Berserk and Gantz apparently always sell, because those are the only series Dark Horse consistently keeps in print.

Which makes sense, both Berserk and Gantz are insanely sick.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nemesis the Warlock owns so much

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Frog Act posted:

It might be my favorite, either that or Marshal Law, but Nemesis stands out for more or less singlehandedly defining everything that'd later make 40k what it is. I guess really my favorite is just Pat Mills

Oh yeah, especially towards the end where it gets very explicit that neither Torquemada nor Nemesis give a poo poo about anyone, their promises of order or freedom are both equally lies, it's just a never-ending battle between monstrous inhuman forces that humanity is trapped in.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was looking for a TMNT thread but there isn’t one so I’m gonna leave this here.

https://twitter.com/henereyg/status/1646724524849893382?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1652094217580322816?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If you ever have a complaint about Marvel or DC's oline comics setup, just remember that it's not this.

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1656155384531374080?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If you like skateboarding or historically accurate Victorian maid uniforms, I have excellent news.

https://twitter.com/mangamogurare/status/1656618034902061058?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

Is there a read order anywhere for the Radiant Black stuff? The Reddit sub doesn't really have a good one, shockingly.

I read a bit of it going off publication dates for the TPBs from Amazon, that worked fine. I only got, like three trades deep into RB and the first one of each other series, which was what was available at the time though. I don't know how well it holds up with the content that has been released since then.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 18, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Goddamnit it’s going to be one of those stupid 100 dollar hardcovers. Why do they keep making those? Who keeps buying them?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just read the new volume of Delicious in Dungeon. This series is so loving good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Frog Act posted:

Dope thanks I will look into those. I love the old movies and Shin Godzilla but hadn’t even occurred to me there were probably some quality comics more in the spirit of those than, say, the 1997 American movie

Outside of Stokoe's stuff there really isn't. Every other American Godzilla comic I've read has been extremely bleh Stokoe is the only whose had any original ideas about what to do with the character

thetoughestbean posted:

I think people really liked Godzilla in Hell

There’s also Kaijumax is you want Oz, the show, mixed with kaiju

Oh man, I hated Kaijumax. It's got these big goofy comedy kaiju, and then a rape plotline. No thank you.

Joe Fisto posted:

There's no Godzilla, but ULTRAMEGA was fun.

Ultramega is good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Superman is an alien, maybe he just looks like that without work

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I got this promoted tweet and at first I thought they were being ironic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It definitely seemed like it was aiming for a conclusion pretty soon, but I’m still sad to know it’s ending this year. Best fantasy comic of all time

https://twitter.com/mangamogurare/status/1690073466278387712?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Heartstopper is very frustrating. The first volume makes it seem like rugby is going to be important to the story, but it barely comes up at all in later volumes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Madkal posted:

My introduction was the 90s X-Men cartoon. For me that will always be the purest version of the X-Men

The purest X-Men experience is watching the insanely cool X-Men cartoon and because you love it so much you go and buy an X-Men comic only to discover the issue you bought is all about Maggott

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Legendary is doing a Kickstarter for a comic book that is a sequel to Gundam Breaker Battlogue, the Original Net Animation which was the anime of the Gundam Breaker phone game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/legendarycomics/gundam-battlogue

It's odd that they aren't showing off any new MS designs, when most of the draw of Gundam Breaker Battlogue was seeing fun new twists of popular Gundam designs.

It's also odd that in literally ever panel featuring an MS they showed, it's off-model

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Like, I know there's different art styles and all that and I don't want to be mean, but I'm just saying. If you go to a comic book store tomorrow and pick up one of the Gundam comics currently on the shelves, you'll get interior mechanical art like this

And this is the first page they show in that Kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

site posted:

Uh huh and how many assistants does the manga artist have, how much are they being paid, and what was their turnaround deadline

I don't know how to find most of that information. As I understand it's typical for manga artists to have 2-4 assistants, I don't know, the first and third pictures I posted were monthly and the the second one was every two weeks.

What's interesting is that the Kickstarter doesn't actually list a colorer, inker, or letterer for the new comic. Just the writer and "creator", who in the body of the project it says is doing the artwork. I don't know if that guys is also doing the inking, coloring, etc. or if they have in house people at Legendary they didn't feel the need to credit on the Kickstarter

It also doesn't says how much they're paying him or his deadline.