Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ended up watching a bunch of stuff this year after mostly being out of anime outside of a show here and there for a decade.

1. Cyberpunk: Edgerunners: I went in expecting Trigger style and over the top gore/tits but I was pleasantly surprised when it told a well-written, heartwrenching tale about trying to make it in a horrifying, rigged society. Loved these characters.

2. Chainsaw Man: I get why some of the reaction is lukewarm on this, but taking the manga (which grabbed me and I enjoyed, even as someone who's not super into manga) and doing a more muted, film-like adaptation was exactly my poo poo. I live for stuff like lovingly animated, minutes-long sequences of a morning routine.

3. Bocchi the Rock: I loved how much of a love letter to rock music and the people that love it this is, and I was constantly delighted by the genre and medium breaking sequences. Consistently awesome and funny.

4. Akiba Maid War: I lucked out and went into this 100% blind on positive buzz, so they got me with the first episode. The deadpan commitment to the bit is funny, but this show lands on the back of strong writing that balances being a crime drama and a situational comedy incredibly well.

5. Lycoris Recoil: The plot in this is ridiculous, but I was invested because of the magnetic cast and wonderful fight sequences.

Honorable mentions: Kaguya-sama S3, Birdie Wing, My Dress-Up Darling, Do It Yourself!, 86 S2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The word clouds are cool insight