Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

These last two months flew by. I'm ready for some Sumo!

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
SHODAI

M1-M5:
Abi
Daieisho
Mitakeumi

M6-M10:
Takanosho
Onosho
Aoiyama

M11+:
Kotoshoho
Kotoeko
Chiyomaru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Day 9 I hope Hoshoryu is okay. If Takakeisho wins this tournament they have to give him a rope. He has a Jun-Yusho from last time with a playoff and if he can squeeze out an impressive record here even the grumpy old men have no excuse. We might have two Yokozuna and no Ozeki in March. Wild stuff.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Day 13: I feel kinda bad for Onosho. His childhood rival keeps schooling him every chance he gets. Just let my boy get one for crying out loud!

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I'm ridiculously exited for tomorrow! May the best man win

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Makes sense that they wouldn't promote him. They didn't promote him in 2020 either when he got a stronger Jun Yusho and Yusho in back to back tournaments. Having only fought a single hobbled Sekiwake and losing to two Komosubi probably didn't help his case either. If he has a Yusho or Jun Yusho in March then they have no excuse anymore.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I wonder how long they actually think about what their hairstyle will be post snip. It varies wildly between looking pretty good (Kisenosato) to looking like you should not only change barbers but maybe think about suing them for what they have done (Goeido).

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Congrats Kenning!

Let's get this basho started!

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Abi
Meisei
Mitakeumi

M6-10:
Ura
Aoiyama
Endo

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Oho
Myogiryu

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Average Lettuce posted:

I actually thought it would be more (considering rikishi have short careers, they have to accumulate a lot to have a comfortable life after retirement). Still, it must feel nice to get it.

This is on top of their monthly salary of about $10k. And it accumulates pretty quickly. Let's say you go 8-7 for a full year and every win has an average of five envelopes. That's $72,000 extra per year just on sponsorship envelopes.

Not a bad way to earn some extra cash.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I think we might get some questionable Ozeki promotions in the near future. A basho with no Yokozuna or Ozeki has to be real scary for the JSA

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Day 11

I love that Hoshoryu keeps blowing up all these henka attempts. Keep that weak crap away from him!

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Day 14 and look ahead to 15:

I wonder if they'll promote Kiribayama to Ozeki if he manages to win tomorrow. That would give him 31 wins in sanyaku over the last three basho with a Jun-Yusho and a Yusho. Takakeisho is kadoban in May so we might have a July basho with no Ozeki at all if they don't start promoting guys. Daieisho has a less strong case with 30 wins over three with one Yusho. It will be interesting to see what the fallout will be from this tournament.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Bentai posted:

So instead of letting young talent with amasumo national tournament wins start mid-way up makushita, they're back to fighting at the absolute bottom tier. Which I believe means not even a 7-0 will be enough to promote up.

More chances to pick up career-ending injuries before having a career, I guess?

I think the Sumo Association is trying to entice promising wrestlers to enroll straight out of high school. They've been having trouble getting new recruits for a while now. I don't think it would work since starting from the absolute bottom is still a two year journey to Juryo. Might as well go to college then.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I'm back after a kyujo to enforce my style of sumo

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Takayasu
Nishikigi
Meisei

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Hokuseiho
Endo

M11+:
Nishikifuji
Tamawashi
Oho

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Hell of a comeback for my stable! Thanks Kenning for running it and thanks Banana Canada for the tracking.

SHODAI

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Kenning posted:

Congrats to MalarkeyToboggan on their first-ever yusho, and from nearly the very bottom of the division!

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be more like when Terunofuji won from the bottom rank and less like Tokushoryu.

I could have sworn I'd won a tournament before and turns out I did way back in september of 2020. Do you keep track of previous winners? Do we have a Hakuho among us?

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Let's start the title defense!

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Terunofuji
Kirishima

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Daieisho
Takayasu

M1-5:
Abi
Hokutofuji
Shodai

M6-10:
Asanoyama
Mitakeumi
Meisei

M11+:
Onosato
Kotoshoho
Endo

Juryo:
Takerufuji
Kotoeko
Roga

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1760278078536777838?t=3eFbkoVRmjWoSTlLu97szw&s=19

Looks like Hokuseiho might be done. What a weird career. Dude was invincible in the lower ranks and quickly became the most boring wrestler in the world and now he's probably going to be forced to retire

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

This seems like a weird article. The stable will be part of Isegahama ichimon for at least 10 years after which it will be disbanded? Why not just do it now if you want to get rid of Miyagino? And what does "at least 10 years" mean? Is Hakuho going to be on notice until he retires 30 years from now?

Seems like a whole bunch of speculation that's not based on anything

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Onosato
Asanoyama
Atamifuji

M6-10:
Kotoshoho
Gonoyama
Kinbozan

M11+:
Takerufuji
Endo
Roga

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Shishi
Asakoryu

Looking forward to this one! Thanks again Kenning

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

Surprised Takerufuji and Onosato are fighting so early in the day, I thought if there was a chance Takerufuji could wrap up the basho today they'd want it to be the last bout

Fight order is always determined by the rank of the highest ranked fighter. So if a M16 and M17 are fighting for the title it would still be the first fight of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Bad week for former yokozuna. Asashoryu announced on Instagram that he's going through treatment for cancer. Hopefully he can beat it

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1779789931818176571?t=SqkcHgTXM45J2v06Iui6KA&s=19